BajaNomad

Driving Mex 3 from Tecate to Ensenada

Tahoefirecapt - 6-27-2006 at 03:17 PM

I have driven south on Mex 1 from TJ many times. I'm considering taking Mex 3 from Tecate to Ensenada to bypass TJ. I pull a 37' FW and was looking for any advise from the folks that may have experience with this route. Any help is appreciated.

Oso - 6-27-2006 at 03:24 PM

It's a 2-lane, a bit winding and narrow in places, but generally not as hairy as Mex 1 below Rosario. Unfortunately traffic, including semis, has increased a lot in the last year or so, but it still shouldn't be that much of a problem if you take it easy. I still prefer it to going through TJ.

Most of it is pleasant wine-country and there are several excellent restaurants along the way.

Diver - 6-27-2006 at 03:42 PM

Given the option, I would always choose Tecate over Tijuana.
The town is small and there is no stress in crossing. The road has much less traffic than Mex 1 but the driving is a bit slower. Great scenery and unlike most other areas of Baja with the wineries, orchards and horse ranches. If you've never done it, you must give this route a try !

There is an immigration office just over the border but it's often easier to park on the US side where there is space and walk over for your papers, then cross back to drive the rig into Baja.

bajabound2005 - 6-27-2006 at 03:57 PM

Oops - no toll on that part of the road!

[Edited on 6-27-2006 by bajabound2005]

Diver - 6-27-2006 at 04:05 PM

What toll ?
There is no toll on the road to Tecate' !

bajabound2005 - 6-27-2006 at 04:24 PM

Oops, you're right! We went all the way to Mexicali. The tolls are between Tecate and Mexicali! The road from Ensenada to Tecate is in good shape and there are a lot of big trucks on it. Earlier post edited!

Tahoefirecapt - 6-27-2006 at 04:52 PM

All great advice. I'm sold. I have been a creature of habit, but after a few close calls, I've had it with TJ. Thanks for the info.

Diver - 6-27-2006 at 05:21 PM

If you go through around breakfast time, try the Campo Cafe'/Grill (?) for a great breakfast before you cross st Tecate'. I hear their dinners are good, as well.
Also, camping at Potrero State Park (CA) is great if you plan to stop for the night before corssing; 15 miutes to the border.

Tahoefirecapt - 6-27-2006 at 06:35 PM

Thanks Diver,
We usually stay the night before we cross. Great info and much appreciated.

thebajarunner - 6-27-2006 at 07:19 PM

One of the best restaurants in Baja is Corre Camino (Roadrunner) located just South of Guadalupe in San Antonio de las Minas.
East side of the highway, great food!
No alcohol, but the food makes up for it.
Fancy, fancy food can be found at Laja, k.m. 83 near Guadalupe, but it is reservations only and about $40 (US) per person... but gourmet, for sure.

(my son in law is a fire capt. in Sac Metro)

David K - 6-27-2006 at 09:12 PM

Now, for the rest of the story...

Going all the way east to Tecate on a mountain road (Ca. 94), then all the way back to the coast near Ensenada (Mex. 3) is a big addition to the time it takes to get anywhere... so plan on adding 2 hours from San Diego to Ensenada... There are no passing lanes, lots of curves, several good straight a ways, many trucks coming to and from Ensenada along Mex. 3.

Coming back north, the option was to not have a big wait in Tijuana at the border and use time to drive instead of wait... That was fine when there was no wait at Tecate... Not any more... expect about the same wait... as Tecate has only two gates, and lots of people began thinking the same way about Tijuana... and they close at 12 midnight!

If you are in no hurry, and the extra miles from San Diego to Tecate don't matter, then it is a nice drive with lots of good food in the Guadalupe Valley, like Mustafa's...

Oso - 6-28-2006 at 06:13 PM

I'll second the recommendation of Mustafa's; less expensive than LaJa, good house wine, great Morrocan food and if his daughter is at the register, the decor is even nicer...:tumble: (I won't say anymore than that.)