BajaNomad

Vonnage vs. Skype

oxxo - 7-4-2006 at 10:32 AM

What are the pros and cons of the two internet based long distance services? Is one better than the other in Baja?

Thanks

Diver - 7-4-2006 at 11:12 AM

I believe Crystal Voice uses less bandwidth than either and works as well.

bajalou - 7-4-2006 at 11:31 AM

I have Skype and Gizmo and both work very well from where I am. Never tried Vonage. I guess with Vonage you don't need the computer, just the hi-speed connection.??

vandenberg - 7-4-2006 at 11:52 AM

I have been using Skype here in Loreto for over a year and get clear calls to all of the States, including Alaska, Canada and Europe.

Sallysouth - 7-4-2006 at 02:37 PM

Yes, Skype works great for me also.Tried Vonage, lots of echoes and static, sometimes wouldn't work at all.

CrystalVoice in Mulege experience

CasaManzana - 7-4-2006 at 03:36 PM

Via DirecWay satellite (now called Hughes Net) we have used CrystalVoice for over three years now. Easy to use and very clear sound. Using satellite you do get a 2-3 second delay in transmission. We have trained our call-ees to say all they want and say "over" when finished to get around the confusion the delay can sometime can cause. Cost to anywhere USA 24/7 is 2.9 cents/minute.

bajalou - 7-4-2006 at 03:49 PM

Gizmo probably would have the same delay with the satellite but calls are only 1 cent a min to US and they give you a free number in the US for people to call and ring on your computer and I usually figure "Free is Good"

Although I generally don't have delay with Skype Idid a few days ago and switched to Gizmo and no delay????

:O

[Edited on 7-4-2006 by bajalou]

Brenda Goodson - 7-5-2006 at 09:06 PM

I HAVE USED SKYPE FOR NEARLY A YEAR.

HAD TROUBLE DURING FEB. WHY, WHO KNOWS.

IT IS WORKING PERFECT NOW.

I LOVE TO CALL MY MOM BACK IN MICHIGAN FOR A RECIPE THAT I HAVEN'T MADE IN YEARS AND IT ONLY COSTS A COUPLE OF CENTS FOR THE CALL.

YES, LIFE IS GOOD.

Diver - 7-5-2006 at 09:52 PM

Recipes ?? What recipes ??
Anything good you want to share ? :tumble:

I have had the most success with Skype and headphones or pc phone over my dsl connection. Virtually no delay.
And it's still free between computer users.

cathart - 7-8-2006 at 12:26 AM

I use Vonage,but find that it breaks up a lot. What I'm not sure of though, is if the the breaking up is due to the fact that I'm using a Telnor phone for my Vonage line (just because I happened to have it lying around), or whether it's because it's the fault of the connection.

bajalou - 7-8-2006 at 07:04 AM

I think all work well if the connect speed is fast enough. Problems of delay breaking up etc are ususally caused by too slow connect.

wornout - 7-8-2006 at 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by oxxo
What are the pros and cons of the two internet based long distance services? Is one better than the other in Baja?

Thanks

Main difference in Baja is SKYPE and Gizmo are cheaper than Vonage. In the states (if you travel), SKYPE is free to cell and wired phones.

bajaden - 7-8-2006 at 10:10 AM

I've used Skype for the last year and love it. Never used Gizmo so I can't comment. With Skype you buy time and there's no monthly fee. With Vonage there is a monthly fee, or so I'm told. With crystal there is a delay. Not so with Skype, and as stated before Skype to Skype is free anywhere in the world. By the way, the cheapest place to call is the Ukraine, if you happen to have a cousin there.:lol::lol::smug:

Bruce R Leech - 7-8-2006 at 10:17 AM

the price is right with Skype:yes: