BajaNomad

Getting mail in Baja

gansita - 11-27-2003 at 05:08 PM

how does one receive mail down in baja from the u.s.?
i'm asking because tax season is coming and i want to make sure i have all my w-2's on time.
ill be in baja by january.

thanks for the tips.

Baja mail?

bajagrouper - 11-27-2003 at 07:51 PM

I do not know if this will work for you but a buddy of mine trips around the world on his boat,he gets his mail forwarded through American Express Offices...While in La Paz he just visits their local office to get Mail + money...good luck

Skeet/Loreto - 11-28-2003 at 10:03 AM

If you are going to spend anytime you might want to look into settin up the service out of Shelter Island where you can get your mail when the Sailboaters,drive down. My wife and I did that about 5 years.
DHL also flys into La Paz and you can get mail through their service.
At one time there was a Baja Calif Couier service but do not know if it is still operating.
Skeet/Loreto

Anonymous - 11-28-2003 at 07:57 PM

There is no mail in Baja. At least not in the sense that we understand that in the U.S.

If you are depending on stuff to get yo you, I suggest you find another way to get it.

I disagree with Anon.....

Tucker - 11-28-2003 at 08:12 PM

I use Mexpost (Mexican Mail) and have for the last (more than) 8 years, It is very reliable, delivered to my door. As far as I know nothing has been lost. I do not mail or receive checks or other important documents.

Expect delivery within two to four weeks.

[Edited on 11-29-2003 by Tucker]

let me clarify

gansita - 11-28-2003 at 10:48 PM

i will be in la paz for at least 6 months.
i'm interested in keeping a u.s. address, and i was wondering if there was any way of forwarding the mail to la paz.
i am certainly familiar with the mexican postal system, and i agree with tucker, mexpost can be slow but reliable.
thanks for the replies :)

bajalera - 11-29-2003 at 05:18 PM

Direct Express has a San Diego post office address, gives each customer a separate number in addition to that, picks up mail three times a week and flies it to La Paz, where they have an office on Abasolo, on the way into town. Rates are for 3, 6 and 12 months (I think the 12-month rate we paid was around 1500 pesos, but can't remember exactly). They don't accept packages, though, and outgoing letters are $2 US. They also have service to Loreto and Los Cabos.

Contect them at directexpress@prodigy.net.mx.

direct

Outstanding!

gansita - 11-29-2003 at 07:44 PM

thanks bajalera, that's exactly what i was looking for!!!

[Edited on 11-30-2003 by gansita]