BajaNomad

Observatorio- tips for the trip

thebajarunner - 7-10-2006 at 11:15 PM

Noting the number of various posts concerning the road and the surroundings Baja Vida and I visited there last week and anyone traveling up there should note some of the following.

The road- paved to k.m. 70, very smooth graded to park entrance at k.m. 80, smooth to the observatory entry at k.m. 100. The last short stretch from the gate is paved to the top.

Hours of entry. Park gate is open at 7 a.m. sharp, and closed at 8 p.m. We decided to leave early so we could have breakfast at Meling Ranch and had to wait a few minutes until the guy in charge got it opened up at 7.
The observatory is semi-open from 10 a.m. until 1 p.m. but you will probably find the final gate closed and have to round someone up to lead you up the hill. It is no big deal, the maintenance shops are nearby, outside the gate, and there is usually someone there to guide you.
Also, you will not be allowed into the main observatory, but the two smaller ones will be opened up for you to see. Obviously, in the daytime no activities are proceeding.

Park fees. There is a 10 peso per day, per person charge. Ah, the joys of Baja, the greatest bargain anywhere.

Camping. Lots of spots, very few campers. Monumental amounts of firewood available. Great campfires are a must! Just be careful and don't burn down the forest, although it was so rainy that was not an issue.

Weather. Clear and cool all night, cloudy and much thunder booming all day, often with heavy (very heavy) rainfall. Time to sit in the pickup and read or snooze, also to keep all your vulnerable stuff stowed during the day.

Meling Ranch. By all means stop off and greet them, have a meal, enjoy a bit of their wonderful hospitality and ambience.

David K - 7-11-2006 at 06:38 AM

Thank you for the great report!

Any photos?

surfer jim - 7-11-2006 at 07:14 AM

Good info ....I may need to take a trip there...it has been a "few" years ...was cloudy when I went there last so no view...probably same for you?

TMW - 7-11-2006 at 07:21 AM

Bajarunner did you see the indian rock paintings by the airfield at Meling?

thebajarunner - 7-11-2006 at 10:17 AM

Yeah it was cloudy when we were on top.
and it was hazy in the Dry Lake valley as well, too bad.
We had been checking the webcam before we left and it looked pretty grim all the prior week.
For those who have not tried it, zap it up, it is great:

http://132.248.4.10/%7Eobserva/simon/

TW, we looked for you while we were wandering about, no sighting.
No, we did not see the cave paintings, although we did try to find the Soccorro mine, but did not have enough time nor info to locate it.
I really want to get back to Meling for a few days, will do the paintings then.

DK, fotos on the disc, but, as I told you last week, I am still pretty remedial on getting them translated, stay tuned, they will be coming soon.