BajaNomad

why don't you stop to help someone having car trouble?

Bruce R Leech - 7-12-2006 at 07:03 AM

why don't you stop to help someone having car trouble?
this is a question that is very hard to answer for most people. and I don't think there is just one answer for most people that I have talked to on the subject.

Maybe with a Little discussion we can figure it out and come up with some ways that will make it safer for us to offer help to strangers in trouble in Baja Ca.

I try to stop to talk to people that are indicating that they are in trouble and seeking help most of the time. but there are times that something inside says don't do it.

there are also things that the person needing help can do to increase there chances of getting it.

I am not going to give any answers yet only questions to provoke thought and discussion on this subject

[Edited on 7-12-2006 by Bruce R Leech]

Breakdowns

Osprey - 7-12-2006 at 07:19 AM

Once read a wonderful post on the old Vags board. A very nice man with pretty blonde wife (well traveled in Baja) always carried extra gear to help others and always stopped to aid anyone he saw. Then HE brokedown! Dozens of cars passed him by even though he tried to hail them down. Finally put his pretty wife on the road. A Mexican family stopped, pulled him to the next town, the guy's cousin took a part off his own truck, got them started again. Then our gringo said "I'll still stop and help anyone I see but they're gonna have to listen to my story first".

Diver - 7-12-2006 at 07:42 AM

Stuck with a fouled boat motor, I tried to hitch about 4 miles to El Requeson last February around noon. Of course, I was passed by all manner of gringos and finally picked up by a smiling local gentleman; he was only the second mexican that passed after more than 20 gringos.

I think it's all about your personal level of comfort. Whereas I will stop to help a family anytime, anywhere; and I will always stop for someone who is obviously in need of immediate attention, but I normally won't stop for a carload of men while my wife and kids are in the car.

Unfortunately, I think many travelers are afraid of people they don't know or folks from different places/backgrounds and/or would rather not take a chance. After picking up a few Federale kids returning to camp from home, and after stopping to pull a family of 9 in a Pontiac Grand Am out of the sand, I can tell you that there are great experiences to be had picking up the right hitch-hikers.

Back in the 60's we'd stop for damn near anyone.

Diver - 7-12-2006 at 07:47 AM

Another note;

The local that picked me up on the way to El Requeson immediately tried his english on me and also probed for my level of spanish comprehension. He wanted to talk. He wanted to learn about me. He wanted to expand his knowledge. He wanted to be friends.
We shook hands and locked eyes when I left.

Pretty strange things these mexicans do, eh ??

jimgrms - 7-12-2006 at 07:50 AM

[Edited on 7-12-2006 by jimgrms]

i will stop for familys and if i have room give people a lift i don,t stop for carloads of young men if i think something is wrong about the scenario , and don,t nite drive

[Edited on 7-12-2006 by jimgrms]

Diver - 7-12-2006 at 07:59 AM

Need to address that stuttering issue, Jim ! :lol:

Bruce R Leech - 7-12-2006 at 08:11 AM

I have some times when in doubt of a situation stooped well back of the ones reacquiring help and started a conversation to See what was up.

Bruce R Leech - 7-12-2006 at 08:34 AM

one time while coming down I polled over on a wide turn off to stretch my legs. while out doing laps around my truck and kicking tires etc. a man walked up to me from another care parked about 100 feet in front of mine. he told me that he had been there a day and a half and no one had stooped to help him. after studying the situation for a while I told the man that he really needed to do something to make it look like he was in trouble and needed help. just raising your hood helps some although it is not enough because every one I know raises their hood to let Hewet out and check the engine while taking a rest stop.

can some of you give this man some suggestions of what things he can do to make his plight known to people passing by at 80 miles an hour.

longlegsinlapaz - 7-12-2006 at 08:42 AM

I DO stop & help....regardless of nationality! I guess I've been lucky to always have someone with me, even if it's only myself & my female Mexican friend. I speak muy mala Espanol! But a potential language barrier doesn't seem a valid reason to me to leave anyone stranded! I'm damn good at mime! I probably would think twice if I was alone, depending on the situation. I've helped an ancient man & his grandson with a flat tire. They didn't have a jack & their donut spare was really low, so I used my compressor to air it up. They had a trunk full of fresh produce & insisted I take some to show their appreciation. This was on the road to Cabo and there was quite a bit of traffic that had just blown past them & their plight!

I've pulled out many, many cars stuck in sand! My only problem is making sure they & all the kids all stand well back from the chain in case it breaks; as it has in the past!! One guy was insistant that I pull him from the back....which just happened to be buried over the rear bumper, while the front end was only buried to the axel/mid hub! Pulling him out the way he wanted me to would have been like pulling the earth off it's axis! It flat wouldn't have worked!! I think his logic was that he'd just missed his turnoff to the packed road to the beach & ended up in really deep soft sand, so if I pulled him out backwards, the front of his car would be on solid ground & headed where he wanted to go!! I was just as insistent that I pull him out via the path of least resistance!! I won! It was MY car & MY chain doing the work! :bounce: The chain had the courtesy to wait until he was on solid ground before it broke!! :bounce:

So far, I haven't encountered a situation where my gut told me to just keep going, and I hope it never does!!

I live on the beach road, so it's common for people who get stuck in the beach sand to come to my gate when they see the 4 WD vehicle sitting out front....at ALL hours! :( I've loaned out shovels if they feel they can dig themselves out & the next morning, the shovel was inside the wall next to the gate. So all my experiences, thus far, have been positive!

Eli - 7-12-2006 at 09:08 AM

I remember my Dad always carried extra gasoline in a gerry can just in case he might run into ANYONE that needed it.

He ALWAYS stopped to help, he was a great mechanic and a good hearted man.

I am not so kind, might be able to offer someone a ride to the next town, but mechanical I am not, in the least, so no, I generally do not stop.

i agree with DIVER on this one.

Barry A. - 7-12-2006 at 09:27 AM

-----once off Punta Chivato with my wife and grown son, in my 14' Gregor with a 15hp Johnson, the engine loaded up and I could not start it------(turned out to be a carburator that flooded constantly---a deffinite malfunction). Many many gringos in boats passed me up without even slowing down, but soon a panga came along with a lone Mexicano and pulled me back to our Punta Chivato beach camp, a distance of probably 8 miles. This was 180 degrees from the way he was traveling, putting him at least 16 miles off course. He refused any dinero, but finally excepted me filling his gas tank (about 10 gals.). He was a jovial fellow, and seemed to truly enjoy helping us out.

I have had many folks, both Gringos and Mexicanos, stop along the road to ask if I needed anything----especially on dirt roads---------it was a "way of life" in Baja for many years, and I think, still is.

I have totally lost count of how many folks I have pulled out of the sand----------litterally dozens. I have never broken a chain, tho----------that is really spooky, and I am sure hard on windshields, not to mention nearby folks legs, etc.. An old sleeping bag, or even another loose chain drooped over the towing chain would help dampen the whiplash of a breaking tow chain, I understand. Personally I use the Nylon rope (1 inch) slingshot method, and seldom use chain. For motorhomes, I have a 2 inch diameter nylon rope----works great.

wilderone - 7-12-2006 at 09:39 AM

I always help if I can. I have helped and been helped. It's an unwritten Baja traveler code.

SiReNiTa - 7-12-2006 at 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Diver
Of course, I was passed by all manner of gringos and finally picked up by a smiling local gentleman; he was only the second mexican that passed after more than 20 gringos.

what goes around comes around and that is all i can say....we ussualy stop but if it's just me and my mom in the car and there is nothing we can do well...we stop and tell them just so they do not think we do not want to help...

I agree that every case is a little different.

vgabndo - 7-12-2006 at 10:24 AM

Please forgive a "little story".:lol:

In about '71, my Bug broke down a little north of El Topo going home from Laguna Hansen. We had been there over night when two locals stopped to help. One guy was on a schedule, so he left his friend and went on. The friend, who ultimately couldn't help, and who apparently was a former lawman, turned out to be packing an old .38 revolver.

He had been telling me I needed to carry a gun for just such circumstances, and still had it in his hand when an old gringo couple pulled up and stopped. He asked them for a ride to the highway, and they agreed.

In parting, he hoisted his "hog leg" into visibility, and said: "Now remember what I told you", and pulled open their door. The look on their faces was something I've not forgotten.

This kind, generous, man had gone WAY out of his way to be helpful. He just happened to be a Mexican with a gun on a dirt road in the middle of nowhere.

Those were the days!

Ken Cooke - 7-12-2006 at 10:40 AM

:saint: I pulled a minivan with an entire family inside from San Matias Pass *into* downtown San Felipe, and we parked the family (small kids included) at the Pemex Station all safe and sound.

The Militarios just waved us through - no stopping, etc.

...Such a heart-warming experience...:bounce:

Bruce R Leech - 7-12-2006 at 11:23 AM

I would think that when I brake down if I make a sign or something saying what I need and put it out where everyone can see it it might help to get some one to stop.:light:

Helping a fellow traveler.

Cypress - 7-12-2006 at 12:07 PM

It all boils down to good judgement. Beware? Help? Talking about common sense.

Judgement call

Sharksbaja - 7-12-2006 at 12:41 PM

I'd like to know how many have been accosted , robbed or otherwise bothered or menaced by strangers in Baja. Appearances can be deceiving. Just like the type of car you are driving. A beat-up old van with a dark interior with obvious others inside surely is more threatening and intimdating than a mini-van with four kids hanging out the window.;D

Eli - 7-12-2006 at 01:59 PM

You know, I reflected and I need to qualify, I have and would most likly stop anytime day or night on an isolated dirt road. The highway, well, like I said, most likly not, I think there is more qualified help available out there. Thank heavens for the Green Angeles.

pappy - 7-12-2006 at 02:08 PM

have been on both sides-the helper or helpee.on dirt roads i always help, but like many here, when on the pavement i tend to be a little more cautious as of late(not so in the past).if the vibe /scenario seems a little off i'll push on.

Frank - 7-12-2006 at 05:01 PM

I will stop if someone is waving, or I can see that they truly are in need and I can do it safely on Mex 1. Ill give out water to the highway workers etc etc. On dirt roads, I stop no matter what..

You know when your driving Mex 1, you end up "traveling" with vehicles even though you dont know them. You kinda buddy up and watch out for each other. Well my new found travel buddy{ 2 older mexican guys} saw me pull over and slowed to see if we were ok. I waved them on, I just had to stretch my legs, we were past GN heading south. Nice guys.

Well I start to get back on the road and I see my buddies are now pulled over also. They were working on the truck, so I had to help them also. Instead of getting back on the Mex 1, I just went down the dirt road next to it.

I pull up, they were just putting in some gas from there back fuel tank. They wave and smile, until the full on dust storm I caused caught up to us. They just laughed and waved us on. The drive is so much a part of the trip.

Packoderm - 7-12-2006 at 07:31 PM

I stop.

Neal Johns - 7-12-2006 at 09:51 PM

I'm with Packoderm. I stop. Never a problem.

SiReNiTa - 7-13-2006 at 05:37 AM

yep mexico is pretty safe, i mean caution is good but anyone can nead a hand sometimes...i know we have in the past...but i wouldl ike to thank all of those who stop because when you are on a dirt road it is really hard sometimes because almost no one goes past....other times you get luckey!!!;D

Helping hand

Osprey - 7-13-2006 at 06:30 AM

When I traveled more, before I retired down here, it was always in older vehicles usually loaded with old beat up camping gear, beer and ice. I stopped for everyone. I fully understand why the highway travelers with motor homes, big trailers don't want to put at risk all that kind of travel engenders including all the folks with them. It's a Bob Dylan thing "when you got nothin, you got nothin to lose".

bajalou - 7-13-2006 at 07:07 AM

On highways if they indicate they need help, on back roads always.

Nomads are the best

Bruce R Leech - 7-13-2006 at 07:53 AM

once again I think Nomads are the best at helping there fellow travelers.

it seems like most Nomads will help if the need is indicated. so it is vary important for you to have some way to signal to cars passing buy that you require assistance. you can't be shy if you are broken.:light:

bajajudy - 7-13-2006 at 08:14 AM

I always stop too.
Only once, in all the years, have we ever been on the side of the road and no one stopped. We were south of Nopolo in the camper. The green angel had taken my husband into Loreto to get a tow truck and I sat in the camper with the hood up for almost two hours. A lady, who looked older than I, stopped and wanted to know if I was OK. And that was it...weird. I figured I would spend all my time telling people that mi esposo fue a Loreto para una grua...pero NO...nadie.
One day we were on the side of the road just past Caligas on the way to San Jose and a car did a u-turn to come back to check on us. It was decided that since my Spanish was better than my husband's, I would go with them to get a grua. We were not 100 meters down the road, before the driver reached under his seat and brought out a bottle of tequila. He took a swig and handed the bottle to me. I declined and white knuckled it all the way to Gustavo Grua. They would not take any money although they had changed directions and taken me back into town. When I suggested that perhaps they could buy some beer with the money, they agreed that was probably a good idea and took the offered money.
This helping is the Baja spirit and part of what we all love about the place but if we dont reciprocate, how can we expect it to continue? :(

[Edited on 7-13-2006 by bajajudy]

Who says I dont stop????

Hook - 7-13-2006 at 11:24 AM

I just dont stop for dead bodies in washes. :lol:

Sharksbaja - 7-13-2006 at 12:18 PM

I'm glad to hear that no one (at least here) has been mugged or robbed (or whatever) while helping others with misfortune along Bajas' roads. Yes, I've saved a few from hours of digging and stop at those that look in need. When alone on backroads in desolate areas I tend to be more cautious tho and scope out the scene first.. I have had things stolen at night but THAT is not what this subject is about.

Osprey is right about the good car/old car thing.

Frank, can you keep up with all of us?:lol:

Frank - 7-13-2006 at 02:12 PM

Sure if you dont mind the dust cloud:bounce:

Jack Swords - 7-13-2006 at 02:19 PM

I always stop. This has led to some very wonderful encounters, additional friends, and the extended families of all concerned. Three years ago I rolled my Toyota truck outside of La Paz. When I crawled out unhurt the following car's Mexican family all ran up and gave me a hug. With the truck on its side, 6 different gringo vehicles drove by, my CA license pointed right at them. Not a one stopped. EVERY Mexican stopped, helped me flip the truck over, helped me pick up the contents of the camper scattered all over the highway, and noone would accept any money or gift in return. I was very happy to be OK and helped by strangers. A semitruck stopped (fully loaded), took chains and pulled me off the highway. Rides were offered, places to stay, etc. Not a pleasant experience, but in the end, very rewarding. I owe lots of payback to these wonderful people. I wish a Mexican in the USA would get the same treatment as I.

turtleandtoad - 7-13-2006 at 02:58 PM

I only stop if I have room to get off the road. And in my rig, that is not very often.

I'll pull up alongside and ask if I can send someone back from the next village or if there is a medical emergency, but that's about all I can do unless I can get off the road.

Bruce R Leech - 7-14-2006 at 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Jack Swords
I wish a Mexican in the USA would get the same treatment as I.

isn't that the truest thing I have read all day:light:

thanks Jack Swords for putting that so well:spingrin:

We stop

John M - 7-14-2006 at 03:47 PM

Returning from a trip south and almost to the border crossing in TJ we got t-boned by a Mexican fellow who happened to live in San Ysidro. We had been towing our Baja Bug. Tow bar broke in the accident. His car was not driveable. Loo-oong story short he drove our VW while we drove our car back to his house in the U.S. My wife drove me to the local hospital and upon returning to his house his family had bathed and fed our young children, he offered all five of us a place to spend the remainder of the night.

Next day we had to get to LA to a neurosurgeon so he kept our VW (ended up with it for almost two weeks) until we could arrange to get it back home. A perfect stranger to us and a wonderful example of a good samaritan.

Yea we stop - never could we hope to repay the kindness shown to us.

John M

Bruce R Leech - 7-14-2006 at 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by John M
Returning from a trip south and almost to the border crossing in TJ we got t-boned by a Mexican fellow who happened to live in San Ysidro. We had been towing our Baja Bug. Tow bar broke in the accident. His car was not driveable. Loo-oong story short he drove our VW while we drove our car back to his house in the U.S. My wife drove me to the local hospital and upon returning to his house his family had bathed and fed our young children, he offered all five of us a place to spend the remainder of the night.

Next day we had to get to LA to a neurosurgeon so he kept our VW (ended up with it for almost two weeks) until we could arrange to get it back home. A perfect stranger to us and a wonderful example of a good samaritan.

Yea we stop - never could we hope to repay the kindness shown to us.

John M

nice story John. it is a good thing he was Mexican. Just think what it could have been like if he had been French:lol:

Mike Supino - 7-14-2006 at 05:30 PM

A great Mexican pangero friend of mine (now deseased) had his outboard sieze at Isla Consag and he paddled it with a 2X4 back to San Felipe!
He wished that anyone would stop to render assistance.

Yes, we always stop...even if only to make sure that everything is OK.

Bruce R Leech - 7-14-2006 at 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mike Supino
A great Mexican pangero friend of mine (now deseased) had his outboard sieze at Isla Consag and he paddled it with a 2X4 back to San Felipe!
He wished that anyone would stop to render assistance.

Yes, we always stop...even if only to make sure that everything is OK.

How far of a paddle is that Mike?