BajaNomad

What would you say when...

Gypsy Jan - 7-15-2006 at 09:21 PM

someone who knows nothing about Baja (and RVing) tells you they are thinking about buying an RV and driving alone down the peninsula?

bajajudy - 7-15-2006 at 09:32 PM

Go for it!:yes::yes::yes::yes::yes:

Check out this and other forums on the do's and dont's...there are not that many.

Have good equipment.

Buen Viaje

[Edited on 7-16-2006 by bajajudy]

bajaden - 7-15-2006 at 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajajudy
Go for it!:yes::yes::yes::yes::yes:

Check out this and other forums on the do's and dont's...there are not that many.

Have good equipment.

Buen Viaje

Now thats funny.:lol::lol::lol: However I think it sums it up.

[Edited on 7-16-2006 by bajajudy]

bajaden - 7-15-2006 at 09:47 PM

Its really not that bad Jan, but do be careful, and don't drive at night.

surfer jim - 7-15-2006 at 09:55 PM

I would tell them NOT to read these forums.....just point them SOUTH and enjoy....

Roberto - 7-16-2006 at 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by surfer jim
I would tell them NOT to read these forums.....just point them SOUTH and enjoy....

Exactly!

vandenberg - 7-16-2006 at 09:14 AM

Didn't most of us do it a first time ??:?::?::?::lol::lol::o:o

thats right

pacificobob - 7-16-2006 at 10:28 AM

what bajaden said is the one bit of counsel i would also offer....dont drive at night.....!

David K - 7-16-2006 at 10:49 AM

Surfer Jim and Roberto are correct!

If they discover it as a place of excitement and adventure when they return, then tell them about Baja Nomad.

If they come back with horror stories of narrow, dangerous roads, miles of 'nothing', lack of services, etc., then they aren't 'one of us'! LOL

turtleandtoad - 7-16-2006 at 12:28 PM

I would ask them "What took you so long????"

capn.sharky - 7-16-2006 at 04:47 PM

Buena Suerte

Gypsy Jan - 7-16-2006 at 06:34 PM

Hi to all who replied,

I am paraphrasing a reply on U2U.

The person who asked me about this is a mature female who wants to drive down the peninsula alone.

She is the owner of a small business, but has no experience of Baja outside of going to Rosarito and staying in hotels. Also, I have no knowledge of her experience in rough camping and/or vehicle repair in the boonies, let alone how she would handle interactions friendly or hostile in a foreign country.

So, my dilemma is that I don't want to discourage her, because she is excited and energized about our stories of our experiences, but my words of caution (prepare, prepare, prepare...) get waved off.

turtleandtoad - 7-16-2006 at 06:46 PM

I'm not a single female, but you might want to point her to my website. My first trip down the peninsula was alone and with no spanish or previous Baja, or mainland Mexico RV experience. Have her look at the "Baja Mexico 05" trip.

comitan - 7-16-2006 at 07:37 PM

Like Nike says (Just do it) I think toooo much info takes the excitment out of a trip like that.

jimgrms - 7-17-2006 at 03:19 PM

Single white male ret no money no prospects, can't speak spanish will help drive we can tow my cherokee, seeking female with new motor home, did i mention i was old as hell :no::rolleyes:::biggrin::lol:

does she like to fish

[Edited on 7-17-2006 by jimgrms]

eetdrt88 - 7-17-2006 at 03:23 PM

maybe Doug should put a new section on this forum called "Nomad Hook-ups":biggrin:

LMAO!

DanO - 7-17-2006 at 04:33 PM

jimgrms, that's the hardest I've laughed today, maybe in the last week. Thanks.

Very, very funny gimgrms (?)

Gypsy Jan - 7-17-2006 at 09:10 PM

This board is not "My Space", so I was just asking about info for a friend who is restless and wants to shake up her life in a good way.

longlegsinlapaz - 7-17-2006 at 09:13 PM

Jan.....Implying that Jim couldn't do that??? Sorry! The devil made me say that!:spingrin:

oh c'mon gypsy jan...

eetdrt88 - 7-17-2006 at 09:15 PM

a liitle "myspace" wont kill you,it can actually be pretty fun if your a musician or even just a music lover;D;D

jimgrms - 7-18-2006 at 05:59 AM

Jan i meant no offense by my remark it was just a little joke jim

bajalera - 7-18-2006 at 05:02 PM

. . .and it was a good one, too!

Gypsy Jan - 7-18-2006 at 05:36 PM

jim...

No offense taken, just teasing you back (I should have used a smiley face).

I have very deep and overdeveloped protective mothering instincts that kick into when it comes to fools and dreamers.

When this single mother of a sixteen year-old girl who is driving her crazy with her out-of-control hormones told me that she was thinking of selling her small business and that she wanted to "invest" the profits into an RV and drive to Cabo to find a job there...well...I bit my lip...really...hard.

Oh, and BTW, eetdirt, I love music, but can't carry a tune in a hand basket. The first complete sentence my daughter spoke was, "Mommy, please don't sing, it makes my ears hurt." ;) :wow:

[Edited on 7-19-2006 by Gypsy Jan]

[Edited on 7-19-2006 by Gypsy Jan]

Phil S - 7-19-2006 at 07:35 AM

Two winters ago, a classmate of my wifes (around 55) decided she needed an adventure. She installed a trailer hitch on her late model Lexus, bought a teardrop trailer, and headed south for a month from Portland. Camping in the trailer. She discovered Eco Mundo south of Mulege, & spent the rest of her trip there. Plus a drive to Loreto to visit us. SHE LOVED IT!!!!!!! So tell your friend she's not the only one whose "done it". She won't be sorry. This however applies only to those who has 'good sense and smart judgement' in their everyday lives. Bad decisions can get you in trouble driving "this" highway.

wilderone - 7-19-2006 at 08:32 AM

I'd tell them to leave the RV at home, and go light and small, and bid them farewell.