BajaNomad

How many Nomads remember seeing this?

David K - 8-1-2006 at 07:48 PM

I am debating making this a guess when and where game or just seeing who remembers...?

ViaBaja knows the answer, so I will ask him to hold back.

Hmmm... okay, lets give it a try:

1) When did this shrimp boat get here/ what event helped?

2) Where is this site (exactly)?

3) What happened to it (it isn't there anymore)?

4) When did it vanish (approx.)?

David K - 8-1-2006 at 07:55 PM

After checking out the shrimp boat we walked back to our Wagoneer only to find it not wanting to start!:wow:

My mom looks discouraged... the tide's coming in!:(

Why won't it start... was the shrimp boat cursed? Is it simply "A JEEP THING"?:lol:

Is this like what happens to people at El Tomatal (see http://vivabaja.com/et )?:o

Anyone remember my story about this?:?:

Forget David--those legs are wonderful!!!!

Baja Bernie - 8-1-2006 at 08:31 PM

David K - 8-1-2006 at 08:49 PM

Well thanks JZ for the nice words about my parents...

Here's my mom with another typical double hook up of corbina on the sandy shore of what later would be called Bahia Santa Maria...

jerry - 8-1-2006 at 09:20 PM

hea anyone with a mom that looks like that cant be all bad

thebajarunner - 8-1-2006 at 09:39 PM

I know David K.
He is not a nerd.
Zealot? Absolutely!
Nerd???
NOT!!!

Diver - 8-1-2006 at 09:53 PM

David,

Glad you ignored the cr-p !

You're no nerd; you're a Baja efficienado !!
I like all of your photos !! Keep on sharing

(but your are kinda strange with Toyotas !! :spingrin::lol:)

David K - 8-1-2006 at 09:58 PM

Thanks guys... it's no big deal, really. Most of you guys dig this stuff and if I didn't have Nomad to let it out, my brain might explode! LOL

Baja Nerd? Maybe!:tumble::tumble::tumble:

Baja Nut? THAT'S FOR SURE!!!:tumble::tumble:;D

Debra - 8-1-2006 at 10:26 PM

Baja Nerd.....ABSOLUTLY! And thank- you for that!

David, you just keep being the "Baja Nerd" that you are accused of (GO BAJA NERDS!)

Lead me in to the canyons, lead me into the valleys, lead me to the Missions.........drag my lazy butt on a "lost mission hunt" UGH!....scare the crap out of me to a copper mine (well, that was REALLY SCARY!, don't know if I could do that one again, those heights really got my blood pumping, and tears flowing.....thank-you for backing me down, and understanding my terror........You are a true friend,

Mexitron - 8-1-2006 at 10:35 PM

Wasn't there a story of a shrimp boat who tried to get into the Laguna Salada..or am I confusing it with stories of Baja lore? Looks like the Salada or the Colorado Delta...???

Frank - 8-1-2006 at 11:13 PM

I have no idea how he got 2 of every animal on that boat...

David K - 8-1-2006 at 11:46 PM

Steve, that's a good legend! Go to DesertUSA.com and you should find some stories about the desert pearls and Spanish galleon in the desrt!

Frank, you win with most creative answer!!!

Seriously... the event was the chubasco that slammed San Felipe in 1967...
The boat was washed into the new lagoon the hurricane created that changed the 'Shell Peninsula' into Shell Island. We used to drive right up to the Percebu lagoon entrance from Nuevo Mazatlan, after going around the bay that later would be named Bahia Santa Maria.

After that storm, a new lagoon and a boat sitting way in there.

They kept it locked up for some time, hoping a big tide would float it back out... Never happened!

The boat started being taken apart... One of the last things remaining after the wood was gone was the Franklin Diesel motor... About 1985 is when it vanished... there may be some parts still out on the salt flats?

JZ - 8-2-2006 at 12:48 AM

What's all this talk about Nerds? :saint:

Bruce R Leech - 8-2-2006 at 06:24 AM

Hay dose anyone know what happened to my post?:?:

It seems to have disappeared:no:

did it offend someone:?:

was the spelling that bad:?:

David K - 8-2-2006 at 07:41 AM

Looks like somebody was deleting posts... Maybe the Nomad forum won't have personal name calling anymore? I don't think JZ calling me a nerd was too vicious, however.

Lets all just be nice to each other, afterall we all love Baja, right?

Diver - 8-2-2006 at 08:51 AM

You could say that I love Baja but I am trying to prolong the LUST stage as long as possible. :lol:
30 years and counting !!

Diver - 8-2-2006 at 10:03 AM

David,

Show us your legs !!! :lol:

I see a definite resemblance between you mom and your daughter.
Both pretty ladies !

David

BajaRob - 8-2-2006 at 02:48 PM

I know but then I have inside information. Your secret is safe with me. :yes:

Mexitron - 8-2-2006 at 04:40 PM

DK or anybody--just out of curiosity, how often does the Laguna Salada fill up with water?

David K - 8-2-2006 at 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mexitron
DK or anybody--just out of curiosity, how often does the Laguna Salada fill up with water?

It was last full in the late 70's for about 10 years or so...

I have a 1930 map that shows it full of water, but that may not be accurate... Could be a good research project!

David K - 8-2-2006 at 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Diver
David,

Show us your legs !!! :lol:

I see a definite resemblance between you mom and your daughter.
Both pretty ladies !

What, you haven't seen this photo? It is in the first web page I ever made about the trip to Mision Santa Maria in May, 1999 and then a hike up Santa Maria canyon from Gonzaga with Baja Mur. The water was just too inviting and I had swimming trunks in my back pack for just such a situation.

That web site is http://vivabaja.com/missionsm

PS, thanks for noticing Sarah's resmblence to my mom...

[Edited on 8-3-2006 by David K]

Mexitron - 8-2-2006 at 09:11 PM

DK-Does the Salada fill up with fresh water from storms or salt water pushed in by high tides and winds(10 pts. for this one)?

bajalou - 8-2-2006 at 09:41 PM

I've been looking at my satellite photos of the area - don't know what year they were made but it shows water in the NE end - near the mountains apearing to get shallower ans you head SE. in checking the elevation it shows a elevationa of 200+ feet north of the water going quickly down to below sealevel and then rising very slowely to barely above sea level where the causeway that Hghy 5 is on.

I believe I've read that it filled from the Colorado river during very wet years. That would be from the S end thru the causway. Of course all the dams on the Colorado almost eiminate any possibility of that happening now.

[Edited on 8-3-2006 by bajalou]

The top of the picture is just about on the US-Mex border

[Edited on 8-3-2006 by bajalou]

David K - 8-2-2006 at 10:41 PM

The Colorado flooded and the delta was blocked... a deversion canal to create a Mexican Salton Sea worked too well and the unstabilized canal banks gave way which flooded the lower Salada (where Hwy. 5 crosses it).

Hwy. 5 was eroding fast... the road surface was all warped... this was in 1977-78. By 1980 construction began oin the new causeway for Hwy. 5, much wider with many culverts added... finished by '85. People used to park along it and fish! Now it is all dry again...

David K - 8-3-2006 at 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by MrBillM
Interesting. Over the years, I had asked numerous Mexicans when that boat got there and how. I received as many different answers as the questions I asked.

I first saw it in 1981 when I visited the Percebu area and I've got a bunch of pics, inside and out, that I took on Christmas Day 1982. The boat was still pretty much intact at that time, including the engine.

Yes, it was indeed 1967's hurricane/chubasco (which washed through San Felipe with a flash flood that left caskets from the cemetery on the beach), that deposited the shrimp boat so far inland. We were fishing that bay (Bahia Santa Maria) before and after it was washed in. The closest Mexicans to the boat location where miles away... one at Nuevo Mazatlan (Luis Castellanos Moreno) and fishermen at Percebu (before it was a tourist campo).

Bill, it would be great to see your photos...

[Edited on 8-3-2006 by David K]

Cypress - 8-3-2006 at 11:40 AM

Those guys on the shrimp boat had a wild ride, a nightmare. David K., the family pictures are great. Thanks for sharing.

BajaNomad - 8-3-2006 at 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
1) When did this shrimp boat get here/ what event helped?

I knew those pics looked familiar.

;)

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=8027#pid59058

David K - 8-4-2006 at 08:34 AM

Thanks Doug... There is a LOT here on Nomad, and by poping the old threads up, it gives the new folks a chance to see... Was I really that small at one time (1967)???

Shipwrecked

MrBillM - 8-22-2006 at 01:45 PM

I pulled out my old albums and looked for pics I took of the wreck in Dec 82. By then, only the Hull was still there intact. I found to my dismay that most of the photos had faded badly as a result of inferior discount Photo Finishing. Only a few were good enough to scan. Perhaps someday I'll find the negatives.

Engine Compartment

MrBillM - 8-22-2006 at 01:46 PM

Dec 82

David K - 8-22-2006 at 04:10 PM

Thanks for showing it, as it was in '82...

David

Baja Bernie - 8-22-2006 at 04:33 PM

We all looked like that some thirty years ago. I guess we absorbed to much of Baja.

Bajame - 8-22-2006 at 06:02 PM

Thanks for all those pics! Great to see and hear about the reason the landscape on the road to san Filipe looks the way it does.

AmoPescar - 8-22-2006 at 11:14 PM

ALL THAT WAS LEFT...

As of a couple of years ago, the stripped motor was still laying there on the dirt.

Not sure about it now, maybe someone can ride out and check it next trip.

AMO