BajaNomad

BajaNomad's "get-together"/fiesta...!!!

BajaCactus - 8-5-2006 at 02:31 AM

Hello my friends,

I just realized that it has been two years since we had the BajaCactus Cultural Fiesta... in august 2004... it was A GREAT get together were we enjoyed each other company, talked about Baja, had original baja food, learned about Baja at the CECUT and most important, we met new friends... it was GREAT indeed!!!

Well... I was thinking that it is time to have one of those again... maybe this time some kind of bus guided tour around nice places in Tijuana which are hard to visit by car... specially if you do not like to drive around the city.

We could go to the Tijuana brewery, the wax museum, CECUT has done some improvements in their courtyard and I believe they have a new Baja movie, a visit to the "Mercado Municipal"... a nice Baja meal... meet new friends... talk about Baja... we could invite our dear Baja writers to talk about their new books also.

I am thinking in a couple of months... late october.

It will be nice to have some input from your point of view...which places would you like to visit?... any ideas?... what would you like to do?

I will be very happy to put this together for all of you to enjoy my friends...

DavidK...what you do think of a "Viva BajaCactus by the city 2006!!!"... could you help me being my embassador here again?.

Well... let me know guys... it will be nice to have a "get-together" again.

Antonio M.
BajaCactus
"Where the Baja is so much more than a dream..."

:bounce::bounce::bounce:

[Edited on 8-8-2006 by BajaCactus]

Skeet/Loreto - 8-5-2006 at 02:41 AM

Cactus:
Great Idea! I wish you Luck,I think that what you are doing is a very Positive thing..
It will be hard for this Ole Baja Sur/Loreto to breakdown and associate with
the "Nortes" but "If God's Wlling and the Creeks Don't Rise", I for one will try to be There.
Skeet/Loreto

capt. mike - 8-5-2006 at 04:00 AM

i would like to see the brewery, for about 4 hours. then a tour of the strip joints.:lol::lol::lol:

Mike and I wil be there Antonio,

Keri - 8-5-2006 at 06:58 AM

the last Baja Cactus event in TJ was a first class act. We enjoyed every minute of it. k:tumble::bounce::spingrin:

[Edited on 8-5-2006 by Keri]

FROM 2006:

David K - 8-5-2006 at 10:45 AM

Wonderful idea Antonio... For those Nomads who were not around a couple years ago... here are some photos from that first Baja Cactus Cultural Fiesta (in Tijuana): http://www.vivabaja.com/fiesta/

We enjoyed a tour of the Baja California history museum in CECUT, then the movie 'Bajo California: The Limit of Time' in the movie theatre there, then samples of foods from Baja California, then we saw the Omnimax film 'Ocean Oasis', then outside for more food and drink samples and door prizes. Nearly 80 Baja Nomads attended!

I would be happy to assist you in inviting the guests of my previous Viva Baja parties (internet posters, book authors, web site hosts, etc.).

Viva Baja Cactus!!

[Edited on 8-1-2018 by David K]

TJ Fiesta

John M - 8-5-2006 at 12:55 PM

If it hasn't changed - the PalmAzul Restaurant was one of the real highlights of that event for us! Costly? sure - but what a treat!

Late Oct, early Nov works for us.

One thing we learned though is that the traffic at the border was horrendous on our return. We'd have been much better off with a taxi to the Musuem and then one back to the border. Saturday night must attract lots of border crossing traffic.

Would there be a way for the bus (if it works out) to pick up folks at the border and return them to the border foot crossing? Is that practical?

John M

David K - 8-5-2006 at 07:24 PM

Yes John, (per Antonio) that is one thing we will try and provide... V.I.P. bus transportation from and back to San Diego for Baja Nomads! I think that would be worth any reasonable cost... Hop on a bus and we can really enjoy the day in Tijuana.

bajaandy - 8-6-2006 at 10:03 AM

We'd love to attend another "Cultural Fiesta". Sounds great!

And taking a bus sounds like a great idea too. We did a similar thing when we went to the first one: We parked across the border, walked across then hopped on a bus and got dropped off at CECUT. Made it very easy to get back that afternoon.

MexicoTed - 8-10-2006 at 12:35 AM

Antonio,

What a great idea! The first one was a blast, the best part meeting many of you. I will be there unless it's the weekend of the 21st of October when I produce the Mexico Expo in Houston.

Some other thoughts for places to visit if possible:

-Jai Alai Palace (closed but maybe we could get a tour of this historic place)
-Cava de Vinos L. A. Cetto wine tour
-Playas de Tijuana ('malecon', lighthouse, border marker)
-Old Caliente Race Track tour

Hope I can make it and see all of you there,
Ted

Bob and Susan - 8-10-2006 at 05:32 AM

taxi...thay's what we did...
walked across the border...grabbed a taxi just across...
the driver gave us his cell phone number to call when we wanted to return.

we called from the museum from a pay phone.
we got to the border in 2 minutes and walked across...

tour bus from San Diego does sound much nicer...we hate TJ traffic:biggrin:

Pick a date??

John M - 8-10-2006 at 11:10 AM

Antonio - we realize there is quite a bit of coordination to do but our activities for Oct/Nov are filling up weekends quickly -perhaps you can pick two weekend dates that are among the most likely choices. This would help us to keep our schedule clearer until the actual day is selected.

John M & Barbara

for those of us coming from the south

sylens - 8-10-2006 at 11:26 AM

are there enough of us to coordinate an abc bus north to tijuana (and return?) we are definitely interested. did not make it to 2004 event, but looking forward to this one.

for lunch, how about jesse's restaurant????

Bob and Susan - 8-10-2006 at 11:31 AM

isn't jesse in la paz now?

woody with a view - 8-10-2006 at 04:16 PM

DAMN

gonna be in chicago 10-16th. won't make it, again!

David K - 8-10-2006 at 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by woody in ob
DAMN

gonna be in chicago 10-16th. won't make it, again!

No date has been posted... why won't you make it?

Relax... everyone can put in the bad dates for them in this thread, and I bet we can have a festival on a date the majority can attend!

tim40 - 8-10-2006 at 09:52 PM

Count us for at least 2 to 4.

JESSE - 8-11-2006 at 08:12 AM

I was wondering, since i now live in La Paz, should i go for southern baja nomadzenship or do i keep my northern baja nomadzenship and enjoy the benefit of both?

Let us do it...!!!

BajaCactus - 8-12-2006 at 03:03 PM

Great... let us do it then!!!

Skeet.... it will be great to have some BajaNomads from the south... make an effort... maybe someone else could join you guys.

Ted... great suggestions... I will come up with some other ideas of places to visit and will post a poll, so we can please as many people as possible.

Sylens... perhaps you can help us organizing a small group to come from Ensenada and the surrounding areas?

Now, for the date... I am looking at the calendar and thinking of doing this event the first weekend of november... on the 4th, a saturday, two weeks before the Baja 1000... what do you think guys?.

Any other places you recommend for visiting?.

And yes... the idea is to have a bus waiting in the US side for everyone, then have the tour in it. That same bus will take you back to the US when the "Viva BajaCactus by the City 2006" fiesta is done. This way, everyone can avoid the Tijuana traffic and the line at the border.

Let us make this fiesta come alive with our ideas and suggestions... and one we can all enjoy. Please post your comments.

We will have a great time!!!

:bounce::bounce::bounce:

Antonio M.
BajaCactus

Neal Johns - 8-12-2006 at 03:12 PM

4 November works for me!

bajabound2005 - 8-12-2006 at 04:07 PM

November is good!

Antonio

Baja Bernie - 8-13-2006 at 02:02 PM

I sure hope that I can make it this year.

---Wondering--can Ted do a remote broadcast or can he tape stuff for a later program--You know talk to you, Doug, David K, Neal and a few others--Jessie would be great if he shows up.--Just a thought.

Baja Talk Radio...

BajaCactus - 8-13-2006 at 03:55 PM

GREAT idea Bernie!!!... let us see what he thinks. I will do what I can to help him if this is possible.

Antonio M.
BajaCactus

Ken Cooke - 8-13-2006 at 08:07 PM

My wife Suzanne and I would be interested in attending. I will watch this thread and be on the ready for this adventure in T.J.! :spingrin:

bajaandy - 8-13-2006 at 08:46 PM

OK.... Nov. 4 is now set aside for the party. We can't wait!

Skeet/Loreto - 8-14-2006 at 03:44 AM

Baja Cactus: Thanks for the offer!
"Lord Willing and the Creeks Don't Rise" I will be There!
Skeet

David K - 8-27-2006 at 04:53 PM

The latest details are a day of fun visiting a few places around Tijuana and we will be traveling V.I.P. style in buses the originate in San Diego.

Nomads (and non-Nomads) joining us from the south may be able to join us at the first stop...?

The day will finish at a good (inexpensive) restaurant where we may get to hear from some Baja authors and others who have something to share... what I call 'Baja Show and Tell'.

IF you would like to discuss your book, Baja related business, or a door prize donation please email me at info*at*vivabaja.com and put 'Viva Baja Cactus' in the subject line

awfulart - 8-30-2006 at 03:08 PM

Sounds great. Count Alice and Me in. Keep us posted as to how when and where. The bus sounds like an excellent idea. We would very much like to meet you all

Art & Alice - Valley Center CA

BAJACAT - 8-30-2006 at 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
The latest details are a day of fun visiting a few places around Tijuana and we will be traveling V.I.P. style in buses the originate in San Diego.

Nomads (and non-Nomads) joining us from the south may be able to join us at the first stop...?

The day will finish at a good (inexpensive) restaurant where we may get to hear from some Baja authors and others who have something to share... what I call 'Baja Show and Tell'.

IF you would like to discuss your book, Baja related business, or a door prize donation please email me at info*at*vivabaja.com and put 'Viva Baja Cactus' in the subject line
David maybe try to go to Paraiso Azteca very inexpensive. Im innnn

NOV. 4th, 2006 San Diego to Tijuana for fun

David K - 9-21-2006 at 04:18 PM

It's been about a month since we were talking about the next Baja Nomad amigos get-together...

Last time Antonio invited us to Tijuana, nobody was disappointed: http://vivabaja.com/fiesta

Last time I had a Viva Baja party, everyone had fun: http://vivabaja.com/vivabaja4

EVERYTIME Baja loving folks get together, it is great!

Door prize offers have started to come in, Baja authors will have their new books, and more surprises are in store!

YEEEEE HAW!!!!!!

M - 9-22-2006 at 06:42 AM

BHL (David) and M (Michelle) will be there, with bells on.

Thanks for all your efforts to make this happen.
Hugs,
M

awfulart - 9-23-2006 at 09:25 AM

When, where and details?:wow:

David K - 9-23-2006 at 09:29 AM

Just scroll up this thread to Aug. 12 posting by BajaCactus... Here is the part:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Now, for the date... I am looking at the calendar and thinking of doing this event the first weekend of november... on the 4th, a saturday, two weeks before the Baja 1000... what do you think guys?.

Any other places you recommend for visiting?.

And yes... the idea is to have a bus waiting in the US side for everyone, then have the tour in it. That same bus will take you back to the US when the "Viva BajaCactus by the City 2006" fiesta is done. This way, everyone can avoid the Tijuana traffic and the line at the border.

Let us make this fiesta come alive with our ideas and suggestions... and one we can all enjoy. Please post your comments.

We will have a great time!!!

Antonio M.
BajaCactus

Ken Cooke - 9-23-2006 at 09:51 AM

I should be 80% finished w/my Baja video project. Does the bus have a DVD player on it?

awfulart - 9-23-2006 at 11:38 AM

November 4th is good. We will watch for details on the bus etc.:light:

awfulart - 9-23-2006 at 11:41 AM

David K, Thank you. I should have seen it :rolleyes:

Art

GeoRock - 9-23-2006 at 12:19 PM

Hey hey -- count me in. How do I sign up?

Phil C - 9-23-2006 at 12:41 PM

O.K., where do we sign up? Hope the bus is big enough, looks like alot of intrest!

David K - 9-23-2006 at 01:15 PM

I hope, as Antonio is the greatest guy for showing us a good time!

Come on Nomads... Let's Party!:bounce::bounce::bounce:

Door Prizes... If you would like to donate something to promote your business or as a gift, please contact me or Antonio

In the past, we have had books, maps, tequila, hotel vacations, camping equipment and more given away to lucky amigos! Every person gets a door prize ticket... Perhaps we can have it so additional tickets can be purchased and all money goes to a charity?:light:

David K - 9-26-2006 at 03:53 PM

Meeting with Antonio this week to firm up plans!

Nomads, please sound off on the idea of doing a bus tour of the brewery and a couple other sites culminating at a nice (inexpensive) Tijuana eatery.

One or more Baja authors will present their book or travel stories along with 'Baja Show and Tell' where any or all guests will talk about something Baja related, be it a business or experience.

VIVA BAJA CACTUS, NOV. 4

sylens - 9-26-2006 at 04:40 PM

i need a list of those from south of tj planning to attend, if folks want me to see about coordinating transportation for us "southern" folk. maybe we can all just agree to meet at the abc station in ensenada and take the bus up to tj. or if there are VERY few, perhaps someone wants to drive.

need data.

help!!:?:

David K - 9-29-2006 at 09:11 AM

Baja Angel and I spent the afternoon with Antonio (BajaCactus) researching locations for the Nov. 4 event.

I will start a new thread to show what we saw (photos) and what we concluded as a schedule that would be great fun for everyone...

Basically there will be bus transportation from the U.S. side to the various sites that will include some or all of the following: L.A. Cetto winery/bottling facility/ tasting room (free wine & tequila tasting, olive oil and cheese samples (chesse will come from a ranch near El Rosario), The Tijuana Brewery... The Tijuana Wax Museum... CECUT's Baja California Museum... dinner at Los Arcos (not the one downtown, but one where only locals enjoy)... I have eaten there twice and it is excellent. Anyway, they have a private area for groups that should work very well. This will be a place for us to talk with each other, hear anyone with a Baja Show & Tell, any authors who want to talk about their books (Bernie is already signed up), etc. Maybe a short video, like the 18 minute Matomi Movie that El Camote filmed in 2001 of the first group Baja trip of amigos from the Internet.

The cost for the private bus transport all day, starting and ending in San Ysidro and the dinner should be the only cost, as Antonio wants to have it be fun and enjoyable for everyone at the lowest price possible...

Those coming north from Ensenada or other places in Mexico can join us at CECUT (the first stop) and leave their car in the CECUT pay lot, hopping on the bus if they want, there.

The bus holds 45 passengers, and if the bus isn't full we are still charged for every seat... so, let's have at least 90 Baja amigos (2 buses) joining us for a day of fun in Tijuana!

awfulart - 9-29-2006 at 11:54 AM

Sounds great. Count us in to take bus from San Ysidro. Will you set up a Pay Pal acct or?

Art & Alice - awfulart1@sbcglobal.net:tumble:

David K - 9-29-2006 at 02:04 PM

Yes PayPal or mail in a check for those who don't want to use PayPal.

We made a new email account just for this purpose... Email us and we will send you the PayPal contact link...

DETAILS TO RESERVE YOUR SEAT ON THE BUS: http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=19686

[Edited on 9-30-2006 by David K]

alaskabazaar - 10-1-2006 at 06:37 AM

What does something like this cost?
Are Newbie's inviited?
Maybe I can help...... I will be coming from Loreto/Mulege.

Thanks, Cheri

David K - 10-1-2006 at 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by alaskabazaar
What does something like this cost?
Are Newbie's inviited?
Maybe I can help...... I will be coming from Loreto/Mulege.

Thanks, Cheri

Hi Cheri, I know this may get confusing as there are 3 or 4 threads about the party... in the post right above yours, I gave a link to the latest post and there you will find the details including the cost per person (for the full day bus transportation, and you cover your dinner cost):

DETAILS TO RESERVE YOUR SEAT ON THE BUS: http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=19686

Newbies (and non-registered Nomads, ie. 'Lurkers') are for sure invited! The only qualification is you must LOVE BAJA!

The Viva Baja party idea is so we on the Internet can meet each other and learn more about Baja!

So, please email us at viva@bajacactus.com to reserve your seat... Knowing Antonio (BajaCactus), there will be even more fun things added to what I mentioned and photographed!

Great Timing!

rogerj1 - 10-2-2006 at 10:13 PM

I'm going to be in Newport Beach November 3rd and was planning on taking a trip down to Baja for the weekend. What could be better than meeting up with fellow Nomad's? Any recommendations on a place to spend the night on the 3rd? Would it better to stay on the US side and cross with the bus or get a room in Tijuana? I've also thought about taking a few more days to drive further south. This is very exciting.

Ken Cooke - 10-2-2006 at 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by rogerj1
Any recommendations on a place to spend the night on the 3rd?

A reasonably inexpensive place in San Ysidro is at:
Best Value Inn, San Diego, CA.
Location is 930 West San Ysidro Blvd. San Ysidro, CA 92173

I've stayed there in the past and with a Denny's and a Chevron w/in walking distance (all next to a Mexican Insurance place), you can't go wrong.

Ken Cooke - 10-2-2006 at 10:27 PM

Suzanne and Ken Cooke registered via PayPal and will be on that chartered bus in November! :bounce:

awfulart - 10-5-2006 at 08:01 AM

Art & Alice Petersen have registered also via Pay Pal. Will wait to hear which parking lot to meet the bus and at what time . We have never had an occasion when we left our car at the border.

Neal Johns - 10-5-2006 at 10:49 AM

Neal and Marian Johns will be there!

Uh, I guess you all can be trusted not to mention my WiW scam. Huh? Don't make me beg!:lol::lol::lol:

Ladies, I'm still WIW #A1

M - 10-5-2006 at 11:22 AM

Right Niel?
David (BHL) and I just sent in our check yesterday. WE ARE IN!

Michelle 'M'

QuePasaBaja - 10-5-2006 at 05:13 PM

Works for us as well. Someone please let me know when this is final, so that we can go.

my e-mail is info@quepasabaja.com

Will be at least 2.5 of us, and we may have some newbies comming with us.

David K - 10-5-2006 at 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by QuePasaBaja
Works for us as well. Someone please let me know when this is final, so that we can go.

my e-mail is info@quepasabaja.com

Will be at least 2.5 of us, and we may have some newbies comming with us.

When WHAT is final? If you love Baja and can get to the bus pick up location in San Ysidro (exact lot to be announced) or in Tijuana (probably at CECUT) on Nov. 4 at 10 am San Ysidro or 10:30 am Tijuana, then you can go!

Please reserve your seat ASAP... bus 1 is filling up fast! :light:

rogerj1 - 10-5-2006 at 09:50 PM

I've got my seat on the bus!

David K - 10-7-2006 at 09:21 AM

Okay, I just checked the paid guest list, and the bus is just over half full!

There are a few non-Nomads on it as well that some of you into Baja know because of their activity in Baja.

Again, this party/ tour is for anyone who loves Baja. Tijuana is part of Baja and we will see places most of us would otherwise never see... as we rush south to avoid the city traffic.

This will be so relaxing to have our own private bus... and the final stop on the tour will be for dinner and presentations so if you enjoyed too much of the free wine, tequila and beer at the earlier stops, you will have a meal and time to clear your head before returning to your cars!

Because we have to pay for an entire bus, and if there are only a few people over the 45 that bus #1 holds, we will not have a second bus. So, any people over the 45 number will have their money refunded and you will have to follow in your own car.

Please don't hesitate and email your reservation request ASAP to viva@bajacactus.com

DON'T MISS THE BUS! :yes: JOIN US!!:light:

David K - 10-24-2006 at 03:59 PM

Just 4 days left to RSVP to get a seat on the Baja Bus... Join Us! viva@bajacactus.com IT'S 1 WEEK from this Saturday...

David K - 7-31-2018 at 11:20 PM

Planning fun get-togethers are what we used to do with the Internet and Baja folks. Just bumping us the fun in planning from 12 years ago.

Here are photos of our pre-run of the sites in Tijuana we were going to be experiencing: http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=19686

Here are my photos from the event: http://www.vivabaja.com/vivabajacactus/index.html

That's where I met Max Kurillo. We have since co-authored a book and co-own a publishing company now with a theme on Old California History, which began in Baja.

Ken Cooke - 7-31-2018 at 11:29 PM

I didn't make all of them since I live so far north, but what I remember, these were rich experiences.

fishbuck - 8-1-2018 at 12:20 AM

Is it too late to get a seat on the Baja Bus!?;)

[Edited on 8-1-2018 by fishbuck]

BajaBlanca - 8-1-2018 at 08:36 AM

I want a spot on that bus too hahahaha

Well, really, we should do a reunion here in La Bocana and take day trips to Punta Abreojos/Campo Rene and Bahia Asuncion!

Our bnb has really affordable prices and we could offer a bajanomad discount to boot! There are the cabañas on the beach. There are other rentals that we could look into as well.

quadding fishing beach walks lagoon boat rides

wilderone - 8-1-2018 at 09:00 AM

Used to know a teacher - had summers off. He would organize a private bus trip - set a rough itinerary, and then charge according to how many people came (less if the bus was full, more if not). I went to the Copper Canyon with him - I think it was about 9 days. He made all the hotel reservations (covered in cost). Meals were not covered. At some places, at the end of the day, we'd have a choice - "shall we stay here, or drive another hour to get there." Majority of hands decided. Was really fun, and our bus drivers were super. It was a bus chartered in Mexico - we all met at the TJ central bus station.
He did another trip - organized a group for a weekend at Meling Ranch. Everyone drove themselves, but the group dynamics made it a lot of fun. We really should do a winery daytrip, drive back along the coast for dinner - maybe Puerto Nuevo.

fishbuck - 8-1-2018 at 12:50 PM

What about that green turtle?
Was like a baja hippy comune on wheels that toured baja.
What ever happened to them?

BajaBlanca - 8-1-2018 at 08:02 PM

oh yes, I had some friends who went on the turtle tours!

Not turtle... tortoise!

David K - 8-2-2018 at 09:09 AM

Quote: Originally posted by fishbuck  
What about that green turtle?
Was like a baja hippy comune on wheels that toured baja.
What ever happened to them?

https://greentortoise.com/adventure-bus-tours-baja.html

I saw them at San Cosmé, on the Agua Verde road, in 2002. The bus parked at the top and a 4x4 ferried them down to enjoy the hot springs.