BajaNomad

atm charge

ready - 8-11-2006 at 11:26 AM

I live in the Ensenada area and use a bank america atm card for withdrawals,I get hit with a five dollar charge whenever I withdraw funds,is there a way to get a better rate?

Diver - 8-11-2006 at 11:32 AM

Check with other banks about their ATM rates.
We have never paid more than $2.50 with our bank's Visa ATM card.

Does anyone know of a US card that has no charge at Baja banks ??

bajabound2005 - 8-11-2006 at 11:38 AM

use the Santander ATM - they have a relationship with B of A so there should be no fee from Santander or B of A. But FIRST, check your ATM card. You may have to have a "Prima" account for this. Call B of A to check. There a Santander ATM in the Commercial Mexicana and another on the corner of Reforma and Delante. You can use a Citibank card at Banamex with no charge. There is an existing thread on this subject:
http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=18355#pid1589...

cathart - 8-11-2006 at 12:18 PM

BTW, if you have a B of A account, you can also use Scotia Bank without any fees. I prefer this ATM to Sanander's because it gives me cash in smaller denominations. Santander gives me 500 peso notes, which are impossible to get change for.

meme - 8-11-2006 at 01:17 PM

We Pay 1% to withdraw funds from the ATM's here in San Felipe.
EDR Atm- AM/PM Atm- 7=11 Atm, rarely go to the bank Atm. Lines are too long.

gpm414 - 8-11-2006 at 06:58 PM

My experience with using my Bank of America debit card at Santander in La Paz is the same as others...no fee. I also learned the hard way when I was charged $5 per transaction at other banks. Bank of America also has a "no fee transfer of funds" from the US to certain Mexican banks. Santander is one of the Mexican banks, but you can check with them for the complete list. We always send money down to our account in Baja before heading south in the fall.