BajaNomad

Photo Software

MrBillM - 8-12-2006 at 03:19 PM

Anyone have any preferred photo software for resizing JPGs ? I've always used Paintshop Pro, but any dramatic reduction results in an unacceptable loss of sharpness. I've read before in PC World and elsewhere that it works better to convert the JPG to a TIF, reduce it and then convert it back to a JPG, but I've haven't had decent results.

Ken Bondy - 8-12-2006 at 03:23 PM

Best program I have come across for resizing and changing resolution of images is Fireworks by Macromedia (now owned by Adobe, I think).

comitan - 8-12-2006 at 03:23 PM

Bill
I use Picasa just hit export it gives a box to resize, I don't see any loss of clarity.

Just a note if I can use it its simple.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

[Edited on 8-12-2006 by comitan]

BajaNomad - 8-12-2006 at 03:48 PM

Of course Photoshop is the standard, but as Ken mentioned, Fireworks is a relatively inexpensive - and easy to use - alternative (but not cheap either).

I spend more time using Fireworks than Photoshop.

Now, this was a "Baja" question????

:?:

;)

--
Doug

comitan - 8-12-2006 at 03:56 PM

Doug

Yes Baja related because people are still having trouble posting their pictures on This Baja Forum.

Bruce R Leech - 8-12-2006 at 07:02 PM

Mr Bill I think your question is directly related to the use of this forum and there for Baja:light:

But I could be wrong. it has happened before:o

Microsoft Digital Image Suite 2006

Al G - 8-12-2006 at 08:44 PM

I have been trying to post pictures for awhile and they away come out dinky dinky dinky. Finally with this it maxed out the post area and it was only 49 kb. Now all I have to do is figure out how to do it again:no::lol:
oh I tried the others with no success, but it was probably me

bajalou - 8-12-2006 at 08:51 PM

I just got a free program Paint.net and in saving a picture I am able to "Save As" and select Jpeg and at the same time with a slider select the compression ratio and instantly see the size in kb. That's what I want -not resizing the picture, just change compression for the formum.

turtleandtoad - 8-12-2006 at 08:57 PM

Adobe Photoshop Elements 2.0! It lets you control the pixel size and compression at the same time.

lou

woody with a view - 8-13-2006 at 10:13 AM

where'd ya get it. google doesn't hit paint.net as software.

Speaking of Photos

MrBillM - 8-16-2006 at 11:51 AM

Awhile back I was at Walmart and they had a "Keychain" Phillips Digital Camera for $14.99. At that price, I just had to buy one even if I ended up throwing it away.

It's roughly 1 1/2 x 2 1/2 x 9/16", has a limited amount of internal memory capable of storing 20 photos in RAW format, no adjustments and runs off of a single AAA battery. The included software CD has the program to save and convert the photos to .jpg or .bmp format. The resulting photo is not great, but OK. I keep it in the glove box to use in emergencies (accident, etc).

BajaNomad - 8-20-2006 at 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by woody in ob
where'd ya get it. google doesn't hit paint.net as software.

http://www.getpaint.net

For W2K and XP. .NET framework must be installed.

BajaNomad - 8-20-2006 at 09:57 AM

The GIMP:

http://gimp-win.sourceforge.net

viabaja - 8-21-2006 at 07:10 PM

Bill,

I use PhotoImpact 11

I have an older version (XL) you can have. Let me know.

C

bajamigo - 8-21-2006 at 07:19 PM

A good freebie is the resizer that's one of the Microsoft Powertoys that you can download from microsoft.com. It will batch resize and gives you a number of choices as to the resulting size. ACDSee 8.0 has a slick tool, too, which is not free, though a few unscrupulous people may download it from a P2P site

ACDsee

MrBillM - 8-22-2006 at 09:06 AM

Thanks for all of the replies, offers and suggestions.

After doing some research on prices, etc and trying a few "trial" versions of software, It turned out that I was already in possession of a copy of ACDsee 8.0 on a CD that came with the Pentax Waterproof Camera that I bought. I had filed away that CD, intending to look at the software "someday".

ACDsee 8.0 does the job and probably a lot more I'll never need.

Thanks again.

Catalina - 9-2-2006 at 05:04 PM

Can somebody explain what the trick is to putting my avatar image. The avatar pic is viewable in my edit/options but it does'nt show up in the forum. What am I doing wrong??? I don't mean to be a bug.:o
Thx

Bob and Susan - 9-2-2006 at 05:21 PM

post three more times 25 is the number

Catalina - 9-3-2006 at 10:08 AM

thx for getting back to me on the avatar question.:bounce:

QuePasaBaja - 9-8-2006 at 05:10 PM

Photoshop is the way that it is done professionally. But the program is VERY expensive if you do a few photos a month.

Fireworks is just as good, and vector based, which can be good if you later need to profesionally print one of the images.

The best thing, if you dont want to spend a TON of money, is to find someone that can do the work cheap.

If you live in one of the cities that has a University, I am willing to bet that you can get a student to do a bunh of them for a few bucks. they can always use the cash. I charge 1.25$ for 1 and then lower if more than 20.

So that gives you an idea.