BajaNomad

San Ignacio cool and clear freshwater spot

jide - 8-12-2006 at 09:19 PM

I found this spot on my way south last week, it was really an awesome place to cool off, after the long road stretch across the hot desert. someone told me the name of this place, but I already forgot it.

[Edited on 8-13-2006 by jide]

[Edited on 8-13-2006 by jide]

Sharksbaja - 8-13-2006 at 01:27 AM

Mas fina amigo! Donde esta en San Ignacio?

jide - 8-13-2006 at 10:08 AM

It's where the water actually springs out of the ground before turning that greenish murk further downstream. Before you get out of town, heading south, look on the left side of the freeway for a building with a quakerstate logo painted on it, and you'll know it's the dirt street straight across on the other side of the hwy, follow it towards the palms, past the gate, til a somewhat parking area under palms.
It's a great hangout for the locals, and they respect it very well. They actually put large mesh bags around as trash bins, they keep the place clean, which sounds logical, since it's their main water source.

si, magnifico!

woody with a view - 8-13-2006 at 10:08 AM

:o

Tomas Tierra - 8-13-2006 at 12:30 PM

The wife and I made our way up there in the kayaks years ago..I had actually forotten about that awesome experience...Thank you Jide for reminding me of another Baja treasure!!

Did you see the old aquaduct up there??

Bajame - 8-13-2006 at 01:07 PM

Will be moving there in Sept. I love the area! Found a rental that I can afford. hiking is fantastic! Hope to see you there! You can contact me on this board or u2u.

Eli - 8-13-2006 at 02:35 PM

When I was a kid I called this little ojo de agua, Cleopatra's pool. I am sure that is not the name of it, but just had to say thank you for bringing back that little sweet spring of a memory.

jide - 8-15-2006 at 04:06 PM

yes, Tomas, the old aqueduct is still near there and working(along with the cow dung and pee!) I think it runs along the canyon wall all the way thru town

I remember taking a shower in one of the camgrounds in 98, and I followed the pipe that fed the shower, which led me to the same aqueduct ... wont do it again I know about the cows now..:barf: