BajaNomad

Wave Runners: Alaska to Miami

Juan del Rio - 8-14-2006 at 07:04 AM

So we're sitting on the beach Saturday, late afternoon and these two wave runners come around second point. We all say to ourselves, "there are no boats for miles around that these guys came from and it looks like they have a lot of stuff with them...something is up"

Marinus and Adriaan from South Africa

Juan del Rio - 8-14-2006 at 07:10 AM

are two guys who are attempting to set the world's record on on waverunners. They ended up here in San Somewhere and Juan y Juan put them up for the night with a shower, food, a soft, dry bed and internet connection to their families for the evening.
They are funding the entire trip themselves as Yamaha didn't want to take a chance sponsoring them in case they didn't make it. Estimated cost of this little adventure is over $100,000

The journey began in Alaska

Juan del Rio - 8-14-2006 at 07:12 AM

Marinus was kind enough to let me have this photo of him in Alaska. These guys have an incredible story to tell.

elgatoloco - 8-14-2006 at 07:14 AM

Wow! :cool:

Sunday morning launch on the beach

Juan del Rio - 8-14-2006 at 07:15 AM

Getting ready to takeoff...

Map of the journey

Juan del Rio - 8-14-2006 at 07:16 AM

This is an adventure for sure!

They do this everyday...

Juan del Rio - 8-14-2006 at 07:21 AM

They get help from everyone wherever they go. These machines weigh a ton and they have to beach them, find gas, etc. everyday. They have no support crew, chase vehicle, no nothing to help them except the goodwill of everyone they come across to lend a hand.

We wish the the very best on their journey

Juan del Rio - 8-14-2006 at 07:26 AM

They should have made San Carlos last night and be heading to Todos Santos/Cabo San Lucas today. They weren't quite sure of ther plan as of yesterday morning. From Cabo, they head up and around to La Paz, up the Sea of Cortez (not sure how far), then across to mainland Mexico. If you see them, help 'em out however you can!

[Edited on 8-14-2006 by Juan del Rio]

elgatoloco - 8-14-2006 at 09:59 AM

Taking fun seriously!

Thanks for pics Juan!

http://www.13000miles.com/

lizard lips - 8-14-2006 at 10:58 AM

Whats Graham going to do to out do these guys......

What an adventure!

Cincodemayo - 8-14-2006 at 11:32 AM

Now that's freakin incredible...

Cypress - 8-14-2006 at 11:55 AM

Impressive! Not a fan of loud motorized land/water toys, those guys have taken it to another level. They've got the right idea. Most of the wave runner/dirt bikers etc. are just running in circles making way too much noise. Wish those two dudes luck!

Shimmer - 8-14-2006 at 12:07 PM

Great challenge... thanks for starting the tread.

I followed up on the trip with a search and found their website.
http://www.13000miles.com/challenge.html

You can learn about the trip in detail and follow their log entries along the way.

Enjoy.

toneart - 8-14-2006 at 02:41 PM

Fantastic Journey! Perhaps now Yamaha would be willing to jump on the bandwagon and give them some sponsorship. They've done the hard part, barring any hurricane activity in the Gulf. I assume they have marine radios.

JZ - 8-14-2006 at 04:00 PM

Wow, that is crazy! I wouldn't say they have completed all the hard parts just yet. It is Chusaco season in the SOC, they will be exposed to the Pacific again down the coast of Mexico, it is Hurricane season, and the Gulf of Thuantepec is notoriously bad news. And that's just the Mexico piece.

tim40 - 8-14-2006 at 11:06 PM

Why stop there? Why not NY or RI....whimps..... well of course they are not...but the question still remains..

MICK - 8-15-2006 at 06:37 AM

Some people dream to live some live the dream. I wish them all the luck
Mick

jimgrms - 8-15-2006 at 06:42 AM

Maybe if they run into papa neutrino the can give wim a tow

[Edited on 8-15-2006 by jimgrms]

I am humbled by their spirit of adventure-----

Barry A. - 8-15-2006 at 08:31 AM

May God stay with them, always.

vgabndo - 8-15-2006 at 02:08 PM

I contacted my friend who lives in Mazatlan and sent him this thread. He has e-mailed the daring duo and offered them a high speed internet access, warm beds, BBQ steaks and cold beer when they get there. (all of which I trust they'll need) Ain't the www amazing.

Shimmer - 8-15-2006 at 03:56 PM

Outrageous....... that is the spirit of the "wild wild web". A simple positive action that makes the world a better place to be.......if that simple action was repeated, along their route, think of the support they would have.......without even asking.

Thanks for the post...... and the email south.

Tomas Tierra - 8-15-2006 at 11:10 PM

FINALLY!!!!!

A decent use for one of those machines!!

Taco

Baja Bernie - 8-16-2006 at 04:59 AM

I walked by this post several times, thinking it was just a joke, and finally stopped in. Glad I did.

What an incrediable journey.

What's that stuff the surfers use for saddle sores--hope they have a lot of it.

Luck and more luck!

bajarich - 8-16-2006 at 10:28 AM

For something really impressive, look up the expoits of Verlen Kruger. He did two canoe expeditions, one padding 28,000 miles from the headwaters of the Missippi River to it's mouth, around Florida, up the east coast, up the Hudson river to the Great Lakes, up through Canada and Alaska and then down the Pacific, around Baja and finally up the Colorado River. His Second expedition he paddled with his wife from Inuvik NW Territories to Cape Horn a distance of 21,000 miles.

To top it off, he was well into his late 60's or early 70's when he did both expeditions and he didn't use any motors.

I just got this in my mailbox this morning.

vgabndo - 8-16-2006 at 03:12 PM

****Well..... it looks like the crazy Africans will be here some time tomorrow afternoon. The offer of an Internet connection and barbecued steaks was too much to pass up. I will send photos and a complete report. I think this is going to be a lot of fun, thanks for passing along their story.****

When I get the report from my ex-pat friend, I'll pass it along.

tim40 - 8-16-2006 at 08:55 PM

So do ask them why they chose their end point please.

Another sea adventure book to check out----

Barry A. - 8-16-2006 at 10:19 PM

----"Paddle to the Amazon" by Don starkell 1989.

Don is a controversial Canadian guy that paddled down the Mississippi from the very northern beginnings of the Mississippi to the Gulf, down the east coast of North America from the mouth of the Mississippi, along Mexico, Central America, and into South America, then up river (Orinoco??) from the North coast of South America to the cross over point to the upper Amazon, and down the Amazon.

It is a great read.

JZ - 8-19-2006 at 10:11 AM

They hit San Carlos, Sonora yesterday. Here are posts from a guy who runs a local charter fish businsess and another guy.

"The Guys are Here, i just talked to them at the fuel dock, I'm lending them my car tonight so they can Enjoy SC. if You see the white Saturn with the catch-22 stickers On it flag it down Its Them Fri the 18th at 4:45."

"Let them into the dock at about 5:30AM. They're off for Los Mochis, but thought they'd try to fuel in Huatabampito, just west of Navajoa."

[Edited on 8-19-2006 by JZ]

Good for them!

Juan del Rio - 8-19-2006 at 01:52 PM

There biggest goal everyday seemed to get fuel and an early start. Photo from San Juanico last weekend:

They said everyone they have met has been great!

Juan del Rio - 8-19-2006 at 01:54 PM

The fishermen in San Juanico really got a kick out of them...they couldn't believe what they were doing!

vgabndo - 8-19-2006 at 04:26 PM

They checked in with my buddy yesterday, and plan to be in Mazatlan tomorrow. Another update will be posted.

JZ - 8-19-2006 at 05:12 PM

Picture from Marina San Carlos.

http://www.13000miles.com/images/uploads/Img_0221.jpg

(edited to leave link to image due to file resolution & size issues - Doug)

[Edited on 9-24-2006 by BajaNomad]

I finally got the report from my buddy in Mazatlan.

vgabndo - 8-27-2006 at 12:48 PM

He had been reluctant to say very much because he had found it difficult to be positive about the whole thing.

When the pair arrived on the beach to meet him, they had a hole in one of the boats. Amazingly, they had NO patching material. My pal is an old Baja hand, and was able to provide them with state of the art tools and materials, but in the end they refused to delay their departure long enough to let the epoxy cure!! I was told that they did not have any suitable maps of the Mexican and Central American coast, and it came as a surprise to them that their next couple hundred miles was very remote.

Their intention was, according to them, to cross Central America through Nicaragua by traversing rivers and lakes! My friend explained as gently as he could that there was a very good geographic reason that there were locks on the Panama Canal.

Their research and preparation apparently was so poor that they had set out from Alaska in long johns and Gortex. (look at the picture with the iceberg!) It didn't take them long to realize they were likely to freeze to death and they returned north and bought dry suits.

As mentioned, they had no way to repair their hulls, and their tool kit was described as a Crecent wrench, a few end wrenches and a screwdriver or two.

I was told that it was possible to smell their sleeping bags from a goodly distance because of them having been soaked in dead fish juice during a night aboard a commercial fishing boat in the SOC. They declined the opportunity to launder them while waiting for the fiberglass repairs to cure, and leaving their beach campsite littered with trash were last seen heading south.

Interestingly, most Nomads wouldn't consider DRIVING down the highway in Baja so ill prepared. Although described as "nice guys", they have, so far, survived on determination, blind luck and the extreme generosity of strangers.

Overall a pretty amazing publicity stunt. I hope they don't put anyone in danger who might feel a responsibility to rescue their butts further down the line.

vgabndo - 9-24-2006 at 02:25 AM

I just read that the South Africans had had enough when the got to Panama. Apparently cruised around a little bit to offshore islands to make up enough milage to break the Australian record, and cruised into Panama City earlier this week claiming the new world record. I'd like some of their luck next time the weather kicks up when I'm on the SOC in my little tin boat!!! How do you spell cahones?:lol:

Cypress - 9-24-2006 at 06:12 AM

Imagine another crew's already making plans to attempt the journey. A corporate sponsor ought to be easy to find.