BajaNomad

Great Weekend (8-12-06) with Hotschott!

David K - 8-14-2006 at 09:26 AM

Just a quick note...

Baja Angel and my daughter Sarah and I had a fun beach camp weekend!

The detailed, photo filled trip report will be posted in the Trip Reports forum later today or tomorrow...

Picked up a load of 'got baja?' hats in Tijuana, noticed construction of the Project 2000 highway where it intersects 1-D by the Fox Baja Studios... will be a great way to get around T.J. traffic when finished.

Went across to San Felipe from Ensenada... military inspecting north and south bound at the 3, 5 highway junction.

Hotschott and Val waiting for us at the turnoff to Shell Island... It seems that it was a total island and we could not drive out there to camp on it this weekend! BUMMER...

No worries, back up camp site is NUEVO MAZATLAN, just 6 kms. away... That was terrific, and was a fun weekend.

Came home via Tecate... NEW toll road avoids Mexicali! About 113 miles north of San Felipe the new toll highway takes you west then north to meet Hwy. 2 near Signal Mountain. It is 18 miles, of concrete between Hwy 5 and Hwy 2.

Border wait was TWO and a HALF HOURS long!!! Starting at 3:08 Sunday afternoon.

Details, photos coming soon!

[Edited on 8-14-2006 by David K]

DonBaja - 8-14-2006 at 11:01 AM

Do you have any pictures of Nuevo Mazatlan? Was it hot and muggy ?

David K - 8-14-2006 at 12:33 PM

Yes, I have lot's of Nuevo Mazatlan photos already in my web site... the ones from this past weekend I will post later. Here is the Nuevo Mazatlan web site I made last year: http://vivabaja.com/nm also see when many baja Nomads did a group camp at Nuevo Mazatlan in 2004 at http://vivabaja.com/204

[Edited on 8-14-2006 by David K]

Bob H - 8-14-2006 at 01:08 PM

2-1/2 hours at Tecate? WOW :wow:

Is this the first time you have seen Shell Island with no access at all, all day?

Looking forward to the pics and report.

Bob H

PS: Sprinkler head still not leaking. THANKS

AmoPescar - 8-14-2006 at 04:39 PM

David K,

Can you scan a map page and draw on it where the the new section of
Toll Road is?

Miguelamo

David K - 8-14-2006 at 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob H

Is this the first time you have seen Shell Island with no access at all, all day?

NO... I have been unable to get there before, and barely off it as well one time... THAT'S WHY I CALL IT 'Shell ISLAND'!:o

Glad the valve repair is holding... Baja Angel and I enjoyed visiting with you and Audrey!

David K - 8-14-2006 at 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Miguelamo
David K,

Can you scan a map page and draw on it where the the new section of
Toll Road is?

Miguelamo

This is very close, but not precise as I did not note where it changed directions... the toll booth was just west of Hwy. 5... the only access to west bound was from the south direction of Hwy. 5. So, if coming north from San Felipe, you go under the new road bridge and make a U-turn to get on the new road for Tecate... Toll was $45 pesos ($4.50 US).

[Edited on 8-15-2006 by David K]

David K - 8-15-2006 at 08:16 AM

Here's the full photo trip report: http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=18756

AmoPescar - 8-15-2006 at 12:35 PM

Hi David,
THANKS for doing the map!!! It helps to put it in perspective. Next time I head to SF, I think I'll enter at Tecate. Even though I'll have to pay the tolls, I'll be in Baja using cheaper Baja gas and enjoying the Baja feeling!

Amo Pescar (formerly Miguelamo) :D

[Edited on 8-15-2006 by AmoPescar]

[Edited on 8-15-2006 by AmoPescar]

Debra - 8-15-2006 at 01:31 PM

Wow Amo is back! Good to hear from you! Where ya been?

Geronimo - 8-15-2006 at 02:02 PM

We used the toll road on Friday heading from San Felipe up to Jacume for the CODE race. The toll was 45 pesos for my Ranger and over 130 for The SanFelipeoffRoad Superduty and race car. Apperently they charge by the pound. It is nice but kinda spendy, was also very little traffic on Friday morning.

Hook - 8-15-2006 at 04:12 PM

David, what were they charging at N.M. that weekend? What do you get? Edit: saw the amenities listed on your website but still wondering about the cost.

Seems like a great location in late Oct or maybe Vets Day?

[Edited on 8-15-2006 by Hook]

David K - 8-15-2006 at 04:59 PM

AMO! Wow is it great to see an old friend back on the Internet!

Hook, it is $20 per night per car... includes clean flush toilets, rustic showers (no heater needed), water bibs throughout the campground, picnic tables, hundreds of trees, sandy beach...

Here's Amo Pescar talking with Baja Nomad/Doug and Kacey Smith (Baja GPS Guidebook) at my Viva Baja #1 party in 2000:

In the background are Jack Swords, Mike and Mary Ann Humfreville, M, Graham Mackintosh, me... in the way back is Eric and Trish (Amigos de Baja).

[Edited on 8-16-2006 by David K]

bancoduo - 8-15-2006 at 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
AMO! Wow is it great to see an old friend back on the Internet!

Hook, it is $20 per night per car... includes clean flush toilets, rustic showers (no heater needed), water bibs throughout the campground, picnic tables, hundreds of trees, sandy beach...

Here's Amo Pescar talking with Baja Nomad/Doug and Kacey Smith (Baja GPS Guidebook) at my Viva Baja #1 party in 2000:

WOW! What a deal . KOA in the US would charge 22$/day, which I would consider a ripoff.:lol::lol::lol:

[Edited on 8-16-2006 by bancoduo]

David K - 8-15-2006 at 05:17 PM

There's a big difference between being sanwitched between noisey RVs in a U.S. KOA and being the only people in a beautiful Baja campground... I agree $20 seems stiff... but there is a price to pay for quiet and clean grounds.

You must freak when you go to Guadalupe Canyon!:lol::lol::lol:

bancoduo - 8-15-2006 at 05:21 PM

Quote:
There's a big difference between being sanwitched between noisey RVs in a U.S. KOA and being the only people in a beautiful Baja campground... I agree $20 seems stiff... but there is a price to pay for quiet and clean grounds.

Point well made. Clue me in on G.canyon havn't been there in 20yr's. Another paradise lost ?:?::?::?::o

AmoPescar - 8-15-2006 at 10:46 PM

DEBRA and DAVID...
Thanks for the warm greeting. It's been a VERY long time since I saw either of you or any other AMIGOS.

It's a long story where I've been, but just suffice to say that, I was serving time! But...I got out in March and I'm looking to get my life back in order.

Tu AMIGO, AMO PESCAR :rolleyes:

[Edited on 8-16-2006 by AmoPescar]

AmoPescar - 8-15-2006 at 10:52 PM

WAIT A MINUTE....!!!

You didn't think I meant in the CASA GRANDE did you???? :lol:

What kind of guy do you think I am??? :?:

AMO :saint:

Bedman - 8-15-2006 at 11:42 PM

Amo,

Good to see your smiling face.

Bedman

AmoPescar - 8-16-2006 at 12:19 AM

BEDMAN,

Thanks to you too for the greeting!

And now, that I'm back a poster here, I've ONLY
GOT....8167 POSTS...to catch up to DAVID K...!!!!!! :lol:

AMO :o

[Edited on 8-16-2006 by AmoPescar]

David K - 8-16-2006 at 08:46 AM

Go for it Amo!:D

Do you know how to work the U2U system (inter-Nomad email)?

I will send you my cell phone number... Want to visit!

David K - 8-16-2006 at 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bancoduo
Quote:

Point well made. Clue me in on G.canyon havn't been there in 20yr's. Another paradise lost ?:?::?::?::o

Well, it is still paradise, but expensive... see the rate page at http://www.guadalupe-canyon.com

We still have a gret time as there is NOTHING like it anywhere else!

capt. mike - 8-16-2006 at 05:20 PM

hey Amo - K Pasta??

welcome back to here from wherever??

glad your doin of the time is over..........no time like the present now mi amigo.

Debra - 8-17-2006 at 02:49 PM

Really, really great to hear from you Amo, hope you will hang around, and more than that, hope to see you down south sometime soon!

Bancoduo: KOA $22pnt.? (I wish) Better check again...how about $36pnt.!

Debra - 8-17-2006 at 02:59 PM

Oh wait! I just checked (it's been awhile since I stayed at the KOA in Chula Vista) .....this weekend it's $57 pnt. :lol:

David K - 8-17-2006 at 06:32 PM

I'll take Nuevo Mazatlan for $20 ant time OVER a KOA at $57... or even $5.70 for that matter!