BajaNomad

mulege status - just got this

Pages:  1  2

quefaistu - 9-5-2006 at 05:53 PM

We are trying to get supplies down Thursday or Friday from the South Lake Tahoe and Tahoe Douglas Rotary Clubs via Palo Verde airport. Is there anybody in Punta Chivato or Sta. Rosalia willing to meet da plane and help ferry supplies? We have a 4WD in Punta Chivato, but not sure how much gas we have. Is there a contact person in Mulege or central meeting point for supplies. I know the road is closed between PC and Mulege, but I have heard that it is drivable with 4WD. Please let me know if this is correct. Jimmie Christopher is our ususal Rotary contact, but I do not think he is in town. If any of the Mulege Rotarians see this, please e-mail me directly or reply the thread. We are bringing mosquito netting, deet, flashlights/batteries or lanterns, small cookstoves, MREs (if we can get them), antiseptic wipes, gloves, masks, and some water purification tablets/or reverse osmosis pumps. We'll throw as much gator aid, beans and rice as we can in the plane when the other things are loaded. We will bring all of the above that we can find within our budget and that the plane will safely carry. Thanks to all of you who have replied wanting to help with $$ or items. Let me know if there is anything else we should add to the list or if any of the above items are already OK. Most of all, if anyone knows a reason this game plan won;t work, mail me.

TurtleW - 9-5-2006 at 06:53 PM

Alaska Airlines are booking flights (at least from Seattle via LA) this Thursday to Loreto! A friend of mine is heading down and has seats on the first flight.

quefaistu - 9-5-2006 at 08:32 PM

I just heard from the Mulege Rotary and they are asking us to wait with our plane load of supplies. They want the roads open, water on and gasoline before we head down. We fully respect their wishes and are ready and waiting for when the time is right. Thank you everyone who has responded to me with information. I will post again when we get the go ahead.

Al G - 9-5-2006 at 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by quefaistu
I just heard from the Mulege Rotary and they are asking us to wait with our plane load of supplies. They want the roads open, water on and gasoline before we head down. We fully respect their wishes and are ready and waiting for when the time is right. Thank you everyone who has responded to me with information. I will post again when we get the go ahead.

Am I the only one this sounds weird too??
I would not think people flying in and out with emergency supplies would do anything but good. Is the rotary in charge of Mulege'??? Sorry, but I don't understand.

quefaistu - 9-5-2006 at 09:04 PM

They do not want their precious few resources stretched by visitors right now. Also, they do not want to waste time and gas if we are not able to land the plane. We are respectful of their wishes and are ready to go whenever. I'll keep you posted. The gas issue for both planes and vehicles is a real concern for us also. The Rotary in Mulege is a great organization and we have worked on many projects with them.

Mulege arrivals and homeowners

Sharksbaja - 9-5-2006 at 09:39 PM

While services and resources are minimal at best right now, the influx of unprepared people with good intent will end up using more than they bring I fear. As soon as roads clear things will happen faster. Certain essentials need to be brought in in every vehicle if possible.

That should be for each and every individual. They also should be prepared to endure much heat and insects and no sewerage. Be wise and please heed precautions.

I would suggest anyone headed into the area currently be equipped with enough foodstuffs and gear to satisfy their own needs, just like camping in remote areas.

What can be said for all those with homes there:

Be prepared for spoiled food or rotting household goods and carpet. Bring masks and plan your sleeping arrangements if at all possible.

Bring BIG Plastic BAGS to fill with bad stuff. Shovels etc. and all the other stuff needed for sanitizing your casa and ensuring your health.

If you cannot do this I suggest you wait until you are prepared to do so.

Think ahead wisely.

Bob and Susan - 9-5-2006 at 09:54 PM

wise words....

Sharks--------------

Barry A. - 9-5-2006 at 10:35 PM

-----yours is one of the best posts yet-----------and you are SO right!!!!

Barry

Skeet/Loreto - 9-6-2006 at 01:38 AM

Sharks!

When the Rough gets Tough--The Tough gets Going!!!!
Keep up the Good Work;
May God Bless all of you and your "Good Sense" in This Time of Need.
Special Thanks to the Pilot. Knew that someone would Step up to the Plate.

Skeet/Loreto

capt. mike - 9-6-2006 at 03:28 AM

Yes, the posts/info on not flying in prematurely are on the BBP site. A few more planes are expected from Reno too.
Quefeistu - what is your call sign on BBP? do you know J McC?

Mulege Rotary Club....how to contact them???

CasaManzana - 9-6-2006 at 05:53 AM

If in Mulege, how would I find anyone from the Rotary Club??
And once electric is restored, is there an email??

Mulege Rotary

pelicanreefbarandgrill - 9-6-2006 at 07:09 AM

Jim,

You might try Julieta Oronoz in Santa Rosalia as she is helping out with the Santa Rosalia Rotary Club relief effort.I think that the Mulege Rotary might be overloaded with their own cleanup problems right now.Her email is julietabaja@hotmail.com

Pierce and Val

CONTACTS

FARASHA - 9-6-2006 at 07:12 AM

Just spoke with MICK from Cortez Explorers/MULEGE, his phone is working, mail should work too. Electricity is on and off throughout town.He is a member of the ROTARY MULEGE.
If you need a contact you could also turn to him -phone 6151530500.

[Edited on 6-9-2006 by FARASHA]

CortezExplorers - 9-6-2006 at 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by FARASHA
Just spoke with MICK from Cortez Explorers/MULEGE, his phone is working, mail should work too. Electricity is on and off throughout town.He is a member of the ROTARY MULEGE.
If you need a contact you could also turn to him -phone 6151530500.

Can the moderator PLEASE remove the email address from the above post - we do not need spamming trolls picking up email addresses.

If you need to contact Mick, then please do so through our web site (or via phone) - http://www.cortez-explorers.com/messages/contact.html

As FARASHA has mentioned, Mick and Maria are both fine and thank the many people on this board for their concerns.

regards
matthew

FARASHA - 9-6-2006 at 09:08 AM

DONE MATTHEW!!

CortezExplorers - 9-6-2006 at 09:23 AM

Thanks FARASHA! I hate spammers!

Does anyone have further information on the Rotary Fund that Piece and Val spoke about? I would like to send out an email to our diving club members with the information, but i have not heard back from Julieta (i am sure she is very busy)...

if someone can post this info so i can mail it out, that would be great!

thanks & regards
Matthew

%$@%^#'n spam filter!

DanO - 9-6-2006 at 09:59 AM

Sharks, my email spam filter is apparently blocking the email from PayPal with the confirmation number to set up an account. Is there any other way to get you a contribution for the Mulege fund?

FARASHA - 9-6-2006 at 10:02 AM

DAN - It can be done also by Creditcard. :yes: LL

DanO - 9-6-2006 at 10:05 AM

Got it -- I used the website link from Sharks' other thread instead of going straight through PayPal, and no confirmation number was needed.

toneart - 9-6-2006 at 10:28 AM

It is apparent that there are lots of relief fund organizations that are being set up for Mulege; Dos Angels, Sharksbaja, Baja Bush Pilots, Rotarians and others.

I think it is important to not view them as competitors!
They are all working towards the same cause. The cause is urgent. People are out of water and food.

Please donate to any or all of them. If there is any sense of competition, that is a good thing. They are all in a race to save lives.

mulege update

mulege marv - 9-6-2006 at 10:29 AM

things are still bad in mulege but, the surviving water purification place told me they would be up and running this afternoon (hopefully), so we will have drinking water, the town now has electricity and there are many line crews working very hard setting new poles to outlying communities. so we are making progress though slowly.

toneart - 9-6-2006 at 10:32 AM

To be clear: Don't view them as adversarial competitors.

toneart - 9-6-2006 at 10:33 AM

To be clear: Don't view them as adversarial competitors.

That's right Tony

Sharksbaja - 9-6-2006 at 12:01 PM

You folks need not worry about the cash donations, they will be sent via bank tranfer as soon as is prudent and in coordination with trustworthy people in Mulege.

We want someone with two feet planted firmly on the ground in Mulege who can assess to best use for our donations.
I have been in contact with the Rotary Club since yesterday and am following their lead as to what is going in ASAP and what will be needed on the next delivery.

So far over $2000 raised on our site with more coming in.

Bravo and thanks to all the compassionate people who put their trust and money forward. Corky

Sharks Relief Fund

REGARDING THE ROAD NORTH...

BCSTech - 9-6-2006 at 12:25 PM

The director of the SCT, Jos? Antonio Ram?rez G?mez, announced this morning that the road is now open all the way to Tijuana. He says that drivers should exercise great caution in several areas, especially Kilometer 15 of the road between Insurgentes and Loreto where there was major damage. He warns that drivers must be careful because there are over 500 people working to repair damages in different parts of the road and there is lots of heavy machinery. Gas is available all the way up. Also all the ferry service has been resumed despite the heavy damages to the piers in Santa Rosalia and Pichilingue.

Posted on behalf of Elena Moreno - Todos Santos

EngineerMike - 9-6-2006 at 01:39 PM

FYI- Here is another place for donations:
http://www.icf-xchange.org/graphics/plug?p=campaign_display&...
International Community Foundation, Inc., is a 501(c)3, non-profit that has been in this line of work for a while. Their Disaster Relief fund was empty, and they have temporarily designated it for Hurricane John relief, to be heavily concentrated in the Mulege/Santa Rosalia area. ICF is a pass-through organization that enables other bona-fide non-profits with demonstrated ability to perform, along with occasional pilot projects when appropriate. Most of their efforts are in or near Baja, as they are HQ'd in San Diego.

The current plans, subject to improvement as opportunity develops, are to
1) purchase supplies in TJ/Ensenda at Costco and other cost effective suppliers. Manhattan Beach Sister City Org. has taken the lead for organizing the heavy lifting (see www.mhsistercity.org for their info). Then
2) truck by commercial carrier if possible thru donation, discount or cost effectiveness, and/or volunteer caravans from northern Baja.
3) If border crossing issues are resolved by the consulate, cross-border shipments will also be managed as available.

For those who have a foundation requiring such, or are otherwise only inclined to donate through established 501(c)3 non-profit conduits, this is a well established outfit with a lot of projects under its belt. They ask the questions like where, and through whom will distribution take place (initial aim is to go through local Rotary clubs, and it may be that Santa Rosalia's club is less up to their pits in mud than Mulegeno Rotarians, and more poised to do a good job in Mulege as well as SR as need exists), which will be monitored as deliveries progress to assure effectiveness.

As stated above, various efforts are all to be applauded, all have their place, and all are certain to be underappreciated due to the sheer magnitude of the need. This is complementary, and not competition. Time to "Git 'er Done!'

I just checked & the fund is up to $2,200.

Russ - 9-6-2006 at 03:58 PM

Damn... l see and hear a huge storm behnd Mulege. Hope lt's dry!

[Edited on 9-6-2006 by Russ]

bad news, more rain

mulege marv - 9-6-2006 at 04:53 PM

it is currently raining in mulege, the last thing we need ! doesnt look like just a shower, not going to do the airstrip any good . keep you posted

[Edited on 9-6-2006 by mulege marv]

MULEGE great update- 9/6/06

CasaManzana - 9-6-2006 at 05:33 PM

MULEGE- 9/6/06 observations: what a difference a day makes?Ok, four days then.
The electric company gets an big ?A? for effort. Everywhere I went in Mulege today I saw their trucks erecting power polls and stringing lines. The trucks are all new and well staffed- at least 15 of them my guess. With reports of the road still out south of Loreto and at San Ignacio, where did they come from? Power is now restored in the central area of town and very narrow fringe areas. This allowed for some major immediate improvements- the town Pemex is now pumping gas (Pemex on highway has no power yet), the one and only RO water store now has water to sell (and cubed ice by tonight they say), and city water is flowing in the town center (pressure is very low because everyone is using it), the grocery stores now have refrigeration and lights (four markets were open this afternoon and all were unloading lots of food items), and three restaurants will be open for tonight. Also three of the central motels appeared to be open.
When I first saw the Senenidad air strip on Monday, I then thought that once the standing water was gone and the ground firmed up, it would be fine. I now see some work will be required before a plane lands, not a lot, but there are some small washed out areas and a bunch of rocks that planes wouldn?t like.
The people in town were much more themselves today. Easy smiles today, and none of the panic buying of Monday for food. The tortillaria opened up today, and will stay open tonight, this makes for happy people I?m sure.
With these turn of events, it would seem that those waiting to come down until the time was good, can now do so knowing there are signs of the good life returning.
BTW- I was along the river most of the day and didn?t see even one skeetter.

WoW

Al G - 9-6-2006 at 05:40 PM

What a relive

Thanks for the Update!!

lindsay - 9-6-2006 at 05:47 PM

Great news and thanks to everyone working so hard to help the community!!

Diver - 9-6-2006 at 05:54 PM

I'm wearing a big smile (and a tear of joy) !!!

Thank you CasaManzana !

roundtuit - 9-6-2006 at 06:07 PM

Thanks Jim hope you don't mind I am passing this on to herb to pass on
Ron:bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce:

CharlieP - 9-6-2006 at 06:22 PM

Great news. I am not surprised that the airstrip is in need of repair. What about the hotel? How much of Serenidad survived?

Yahoo and a Rotary message

Sharksbaja - 9-6-2006 at 06:58 PM

Yahoo...

The donation amount is over $2500 aws!
Gracias
===============================
Now , here is the latest from Rotary Tahoe:
===============================

This is what is going on with the Tahoe Rotary Club effort to send aid to Mulege, BCS. Mulege has suffered extensive flood damage from Tropical Storm John, much of the town was underwater and there are many Mexican and American people homeless and without food or water. Roads have been closed so there has been little or no aid to date.

We spent a few hours stocking up on needed items today and hopefully they will be transported by private plane to Mulege area. If Serenidad is open by then, pilot Jerry McCord, will land there. If not, his options are Punta Chivato or Palo Verde. Jerry has a place near town. His e-mail is above (joycemcc-atworldnet.att.net)

The Tahoe Douglas and South Tahoe Rotary Clubs have purchased MREs, FOOD, some water purification tablets (we could only find a limited amount), DEET, mosquito netting, duct tape, more FOOD and as much water as the plane will hold. There may also be some new clothing (basic) and some medical supplies if we can get them to the plane. There may be other things that I have forgotten. Nobody mentioned duct tape, but I?m sure you need it. J

Hopefully, Jerry will be in by Friday evening. I will keep you all posted.

Keep our pilot in your prayers and thank you everyone for your information and support with this.

I?ll be available by e-mail or cell phone

Susan Glasson

PS Bob and Mark, we spent all the money you allocated. We may have some private donations coming in to Tahoe Douglas Rotary Club or South Tahoe Rotary earmarked for this project. If so, we?re gonna spend it and send it!

PSS Joe or Paula, please distribute to membership ASAP. thanks

PSSS check out our website at www.tahoe-rotary.com if you want to know who we are and what we do here in Tahoe.

Quote:
Originally posted by Sharksbaja
You folks need not worry about the cash donations, they will be sent via bank tranfer as soon as is prudent and in coordination with trustworthy people in Mulege.

We want someone with two feet planted firmly on the ground in Mulege who can assess to best use for our donations.
I have been in contact with the Rotary Club since yesterday and am following their lead as to what is going in ASAP and what will be needed on the next delivery.

So far over $2000 raised on our site with more coming in.

Bravo and thanks to all the compassionate people who put their trust and money forward. Corky

Sharks Relief Fund

[Edited on 9-7-2006 by Sharksbaja]

Bruce

Sharksbaja - 9-6-2006 at 07:01 PM

can you add to that good news. Waiting for instructions, Corky

Bruce R Leech - 9-6-2006 at 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Sharksbaja
can you add to that good news. Waiting for instructions, Corky

yes but only a little Jim said it pretty much. I was working with a couple guys today that came in to Mulege in a helicopter. bringing supply's and computers for the High school. what nice people.

also things that most people need are Bedding sleeping cots, clothing and shoes all sizes but mostly children sizes. wheel borrows and shovels, blue plastic tarps.

David K - 9-6-2006 at 07:40 PM

Bruce, please list items the Mulege schools need...

I received a phone call from a Baja Nomad who couldn't log on (Doug will help) who wants to help the damaged schools with supplies, etc.

So, if you or anyone else in Mulege can post what the schools that were damaged need, then please post them.

Thanks!!!

Bruce R Leech - 9-6-2006 at 07:53 PM

I haven't seen any red cross at all here but they are always here in fair weather looking for donations. another note the people from the rehab facility have moor than doubled the number of beggars on the streets but wont lift a finger to help anyone.

Tanya and Herman Mauer

Exiceskater - 9-6-2006 at 07:53 PM

Just to let all of you of know we have heard from Tanya and Herman and they both are ok. They we in the motor home at Carlo's house and the water still got to them. They did save the truck and that is about it. They are both ok.

Bruce R Leech - 9-6-2006 at 07:58 PM

they need every thing from desks Charis black boards dry erase boards.

everything

Bajasharky

Al G - 9-6-2006 at 08:22 PM

check u2u

Bruce R Leech - 9-6-2006 at 08:37 PM

One thing I have been working on with the local officials is I am really getting concerned about the possibility of Cholera and Danga Hemorrhagic fever getting started here. the Gov has promised to spray the town an vaccinate all the children.

[Edited on 9-7-2006 by Bruce R Leech]

Looking for a school to adopt

Baja Bucko - 9-6-2006 at 08:55 PM

Thanks, David K, I am here finally.

I have talked w the local school here in Oregon (rural-250 total kids) and with my help they would like to do something for a school affected by Hurricane John to help. I am thinking that if Comondu or San Javier took hits that school size would be similar to what these kids could relate to (and raise funds for). I will keep in touch with friends in Loreto and I am hoping they hear something soon from the remote ranchos so we can get this project started. ANYONE who might know of teachers/parents in any of these schools who can be contacted-I am all ears!!

Over the past 30 yrs I have done presentations for kids at this school on my Baja trips everything from history and ecology to the crazy stories of riding el camino real w my own boys. I am hoping people can come up w more info as to what schools need.

ANYONE who wants to see about "adopting" a class or school I'd love to hear from you. I want to get this ball rolling!!!! :bounce::bounce:

Rotario Club info from Julieta

bajasuenos - 9-6-2006 at 09:18 PM

we rec'd this email from Julieta yesterday. Attached is also the Rotary Club bank account info for donations. FYI. We are headed down in early October from the Bay Area if anyone wants to contact us to bring down supplies &/or donations. We've got a truck. We live in Petaluma CA. God bless~take good care! Susan & Jim Ravina

Dear Friends....

As you probably already know Hurrican John has hit Baja, Mulege town was the one who got hurt the most, there is a HUGE NEED for water, food, clothes, medicine, etc. My self in coordination with the Rotary Club in Santa Rosalia are trying to raise some funds, we are asking you for you cooperaton to help this community they are with out water, electricity totally incomunicated, most the families (Mexican and Amercans) lost what they had...

I am enclosing the rotary club bank account informaton (pesos account) and my dollars account as well, any help you can provide the community of Mulege will be VERY VERY GREATFUL, unfortunatelly wire transfers are expensive 30 dlls on your side and 20 on the Mexican account, perhaps if you make groups and then just make one single transfer will be easier...

We are also helping the very poor comunities up in the mountains who had a lot of damage to and also some people got killed, they also have a big

Of course if you can't send money we will also appreciate supplies... I know some of you have airplanes and could bring goods from the US... I am trying to check which aristrip is available I wil keep you inform.

Beleive me Mulege is totally devasted and AND WE GOT TO HELP...

** If you are going to send money down, please inform me so I can keep track of the funds

Sincerely

Julieta Medina

barnes - 9-6-2006 at 09:30 PM

LOOKING FOR MIKE REILLEY-(GOLF COURSE MIKE) AND JOHN GARRISON--BOTH VERY CLOSE TO JUNGLE JIMS--THEIR RELATIVES AND FRIENDS AND ME AND BETTY ARE CONCERNED ABOUT THEM--DOES ANYONE KNOW IF THEY ARE OK OR NOT--PLEASE POST OR E-MAIL ME AT MYMOLLY55@ISP.COM----

EVERYBODY THERE--THANKS FOR ALL YOUR HELP AND THIS FORUM AND ALL INVOLVED---I WILL BE DOWN THERE PROBABLLY NO LATER THAN THE 24TH OF SEPTEMBER FOR A FEW DAYS WITH SOME SUPPLIES--HOPE YOU DON'T NEED THE TYPE OF SUPPLIES-BY THE TIME I GET THERE---MOSQUITO NETTING-DEET-WATER PURIFICTION-WHATEVER

GOD BLESS -OR WHOEVER YOU LIKE--JOE BARNES

EngineerMike - 9-7-2006 at 12:02 AM

Tonight's update by phone from Mulege 9/6 (confirms post above+)-
~ electricity is on most of downtown
~ water purifier downtown is back online
~ city water also on portion of downtown; water is color of weak tea
~ electric crews working like mad to get more repairs completed
~ south side of river still fending for itself, no water or electric (hard to clean up w/out water)
~ TRUCKS & BUSSES ROLLING ON HWY 1 THIS AFTERNOON, ROAD IS OPEN FROM NORTH!!!!

BajaNomad - 9-7-2006 at 12:18 AM

These dramatic photos just received in an email. There are over 100 photos total - below the email is a sampling of what's in this gallery.

-----------------
Hello,

My brother Martin Alberto took the pics and put them together, so we could distribute and reach out for help.

Regards,
Cristina Miranda de Williams

http://www.kodakgallery.com/I.jsp?c=8h3gwjn.1k6tnnlf&x=0...

-----------------

[Edited on 9-7-2006 by BajaNomad]

thanks

barnes - 9-7-2006 at 12:53 AM

thank you so much--really happy jungle jims is still there (Barts')

He or we can fix it. My place to and everybodys place--working together--

It will take some time--and a lot of effort--(isn't that what it is all about?)

thenk you--joe barnes--does anybody know if mike -golf course and john-next door neighbor are ok??

PHOTOS

FARASHA - 9-7-2006 at 12:54 AM

I just sent them off to BBC (again) and to CNN, the whole lot, together with a report.
I hope that will do something!!!!
REALLY a VERY sad moment to look at the pic's.
LL

[Edited on 7-9-2006 by FARASHA]

barnes - 9-7-2006 at 01:28 AM

thanks so much for continuing to keep updating the situation there in mulege.

I apologize for any comments or mispellings etc.

My intent is good--as I know all of yours are--the people that are there in Mulege and busting their(you know what) are the important ones--
THANK YOU--FOR ME AND ALL THE ONES THAT ARE NOT THERE AND ALL THE RELATIVES, FRIENDS ETC. THAT ARE SO CONCERNED-thank you--good night-god bless or whoever you want to bless you. barnes,joe

David K - 9-7-2006 at 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Baja Bucko
Thanks, David K, I am here finally.

I have talked w the local school here in Oregon (rural-250 total kids) and with my help they would like to do something for a school affected by Hurricane John to help. I am thinking that if Comondu or San Javier took hits that school size would be similar to what these kids could relate to (and raise funds for). I will keep in touch with friends in Loreto and I am hoping they hear something soon from the remote ranchos so we can get this project started. ANYONE who might know of teachers/parents in any of these schools who can be contacted-I am all ears!!

Over the past 30 yrs I have done presentations for kids at this school on my Baja trips everything from history and ecology to the crazy stories of riding el camino real w my own boys. I am hoping people can come up w more info as to what schools need.

ANYONE who wants to see about "adopting" a class or school I'd love to hear from you. I want to get this ball rolling!!!! :bounce::bounce:

Glad to see you get back on Baja Bucko!

Orchard people>>>

Sharksbaja - 9-7-2006 at 10:22 PM

Pam is back in Mulege but will stay in a Motel in town as their casita sustained damage and was emptied out by the force as were many. Pam will update tonight.

Bob is uploading Bruces' video which includes our damaged home and other Orchard views.

Robertos' home was heavily damaged and they are in Sta. Rosalia for the time.

I am taking a list of goods and cash down soon along with tools aplenty.

Seems power is restored here and there along the rio.

Food availability is ok water on,yes, phones ,some.

More later, Corky

Bruce R Leech - 9-8-2006 at 06:30 AM

thinks have changed allot here in the last 2 days there is not a shortage of food or water anymore. It seem that Mexico is making Mulege there Poster child for Deserter relief and we have so much help right now it is unbelievable. the things that are most needed now are plastic tarps, cots and bedding,

Bruce R Leech - 9-8-2006 at 06:54 AM

If you are bringing things in for relief. please check with the fire dept. or some one that has been working with the disaster from the start before you start handing out things. there has been much mishandling of this proses here and if you are not careful you will start a riot or could get hurt. the first 100 people in line will be ones that did not suffer any damage. the fire dept. along with us and some others are keeping track of who is in need of what.

Bruce R Leech - 9-8-2006 at 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bruce R Leech
I haven't seen any red cross at all here but they are always here in fair weather looking for donations. another note the people from the rehab facility have moor than doubled the number of beggars on the streets but wont lift a finger to help anyone.

up date I saw a truck load of red cross workers driving through town yesterday they were in there clean whit uniforms. I hope they find something to do.

the people at the rehab facility seem to have pulled all of there beggars out after several people told them very firmly that what they were doing was inappropriate.:light:

EngineerMike - 9-8-2006 at 09:51 AM

Baja Buckaroo- As seen in the photos on previous page, the high school in Mulege was up tot heir armpits in water & mud. There is a volunteer crew helping to clean it out but they will need to restock the library, new computers, etc. The flooded-out kids will individually need notebooks, and all the usual school supplies. Some may have lost the uniforms & shoes we purchased for them over the summer (see below). Also, there is a primary school right next door on essentially the same property (haven't seen photos, but the situation has to be the same). If you are interested in adopting either of those schools, contact me at Mike at Fleming dot cc (not dot com). My wife & I are Directors of a scholarship program in Mulege (see www.msspi.org). We have a directors meeting in about 3 hours to strategize. All help is appreciated. And thanks for thinking of these kids.

Baja Bucko - 9-8-2006 at 12:11 PM

Yes-I will also be meeting w a school rep as soon as I get things firmed up. Can you get me a phone # so that I can talk to you? I am in Oregon. I am still waiting to see if any info has come out of the mtns also but you're on it now and the faster I get this organized w the school here the more enthusiasm we'll get from the kids. I will also try to email you but yr addy looks greek to my computer-illiterate mind! (Now put me on a mule on el camino real somewheres and I will absolutely know what I'm doing!!!!)

Pescador - 9-8-2006 at 04:50 PM

I just talked to Julieta this afternoon and she indicates that the small school at Agua Agueda is in dire straits. This is a small school that is also a boarding school for the ranch children who spend the week at school and go home, if possible, on weekends. No one has been able to get to San Jose De Magdelena as of yet to see what their school condition is yet and I have not heard any reports from San Javier.

Baja Bucko - 9-8-2006 at 06:32 PM

Pescador-Can you please keep me informed on these little schools? Hopefully someone will get info out of the mtns via radio soon.

Russ - 9-8-2006 at 06:52 PM

I talked to a store owner in Palo Verde today. He has a radio that he can talk to some ranches and San Jose de Magdelena. Helos have dropped of supplies up there. There is no road.

[Edited on 9-9-2006 by Russ]

EngineerMike - 9-8-2006 at 07:41 PM

I hooked a ride in last MT seat of a 4 seater early tomorrow a.m., planning to land @ Serenidad or Palo Verde. Second plane has 2 bodies & big loada shoes, clothes & a box of bandages & antiseptic donated by pharmacy in Rio Vista, CA. Taking a max payload, then hoofing it to each school in Mulege for a complete survey. Will post the needs and start coordinating efforts for schools on return. I'll be back on line Sunday evening, or Monday morn.
Heard yesterday there was an out of town volunteer crew mucking out the high school.
Then, we've got us a convoy!! Well, small caravan anyway. Linderman from Oasis leading; departure from NorCal is 9/18. Wagons Ho!!

capt. mike - 9-9-2006 at 06:22 AM

Mike, who's flying?? the BBP reports the 1st 2/3rds of runway, south end fully useable now.
they are coning off the north 1/3 not fixed yet.

quefaistu - 9-9-2006 at 09:47 AM

Capt. Mike - Jerry McCord is transferred our Rotary aid items to Mulege. He was going to try to land at Serenidad. Do you know if they made it in? I think there were two planes, both Cessnas.

Bruce R Leech - 9-9-2006 at 06:28 PM

the fire Dept. says they Have more clothing than they know what to do with.

they need bedding, plastic tarps, disposable plats, cups and spoons. , tents and things to set up temp housing Propane stoves and camping type gear.

also it would be a good time to get rid of those old propane tanks that don't work in the US anymore.

EngineerMike - 9-11-2006 at 04:12 PM

Spent a week in Mulege yesterday. Observations here are based on On-Foot Survey of 3 schools upriver of bridge, OFS of area around Saul's Tienda, drive thru downtown, drive up ice-house road as far as Internado, OFS @ Jorge's entrance (as tho you identify that) & newish river road by agua-pura @ Jorge's, air passes of town on approach, OFS of Serenidad, and detailed OFS of Oasis from easterly most lots to Jimmie Christopher's, including Leon's vehicle service lot. Strip @ Serenidad is fully repaired & operational. Lot #'s below are Oasis lots.

Picture what is generally known about New Orleans, and subtract lingering standing water. Otherwise equivalent. Much standing water. Mexicans are managing the mosquito problem fairly well so far; no swarming attacks in town. The gringos, however, have a large & growing infestation brewing. Mosquitoes are of the small, persistent, twin engine variety, insistent on their business. Both sides of river have a lingering smell reminiscent of sewage; I suspect some of that is due to sewage coming to the surface of saturated soil, and some is the fragrant putrefaction of organic matter in the mud. I chlorinated & acid-shock treated the swamp @ entry to the Oasis; please do some similar service for mosquitoes in the swamp nearest you.

Fixed Structures: Where water velocity (and therefore momentum) was high, the character of a structure was not important. The block agua-pura by Jorge's is symptomatic- the building was scoured out and hammered apart; no equipment remaining and most walls only partially standing. Where velocity was low, there will be simply inundation & mud, lotsa mud; Linderman's #515 had low to no velocity, no windows broken, but mud line at ~4-5 feet. Scott's #504 rear block wall is knocked down by water velocity, which subsequently blew out the courtyard window, scrambled the contents inside (& deposited lotsa mud), then blew out the streetside window & tried to push as much house contents thru the hole as would fit. Scotts are at the downstream end of a road parallel to the river, so momentum could build up. Scott's other walls withstood the flow; house standing. Insubstantial structures caved unless very well shielded from velocity. Metal sheds anywhere near flowing water are mangled or moved, or Young #18 had two metal sheds that are Missing In Action. Bossley #26 has 2 metal sheds, one rotated off foundation & moved; the other moved & mangled as tho compressed inward. Christopher #55 back wall fell off it's footing as there was no reinforcing connection of wall to footing. Other structures in between in substance vary; schools above the bridge were well built, squarely in flow path, but velocity was low & buildings are intact; there was a tienda on the uphill side of icehouse road that was washed away (velocity low but obviously junk construction, and there are a lot of Mexican homes impacted in this area). The Christian church below the big bridge is MIA; not a slab or footing to be seen. Near the highest velocities there is scouring around footings, and along the south river road there are periodic scoured out holes in the road; one by Serenidad landing strip is ~70' x 20' x 3' deep. Smaller ones along Oasis frontage, & I assume along the whole south river road; a section of the newish south river road near & just east of Jorge's is gone completely for 100 meters. The north river road appeared more intact and had trucks rolling to Loma Azul; only saw it from the plane. The seawall along south side of river is more intact than early reports, tho more recent improvements that were just grouted onto the older, stouter seawall are MIA. Some seawall portions are truly gone. The lighthouse is on an island; river cut a channel to north of lighthouse.

Boats: Most boats are still around, and mostly near where they started. Trailers acted as anchors. Many are not sitting correctly on their trailers. Some have moved a far way; e.g. a boat w/blue tarp that was parked around #518 or 519 is now quite a distance east on other property. If it really floated, like Tussy's kayak, it may hit land near Guaymas shortly. Generally the boats tilted on trailers will have a birdbath of water & mud and will be very well warmed each day to lovingly incubate mosquito larvae; please clean out your boat ASAP. The breather vent for permanent tanks would have allowed mud into gas tank if under water, & tanks will have to be dewatered & cleaned.

Cars: ~1" of mud (3/8" dried) on engines; water in crankcase, transmission, differential thru breather openings; mud inside door panels; mud soaked into upholstery.

House Trailers (incl. both flat-floor & 5th wheel): most floated somewhat so are off their proper jack stands and sloping down by the hitch where the support sank in the mud; only a few are level and where they were parked. A large percentage are tilted as well were one side of the axle sank. Most trailer floors are either cheapest grade of plywood or particleboard (I know Airstream used particleboard) and will retain water unless dried immediately (and immediately may be over already). Lily was kind enough to open her motorhome for a quick peek- 1" of mud on the sofa; humidity about 98%.

House Contents: If it is susceptible to water damage, and it was below water line it will be headed for the landfill. Carpet, soft furniture, mattresses, most wood cabinets, tile counters built on plywood counter top, computers, TVs, etc. will be ruined. Tools are in the process of rusting tight. Refrigerators made with fiberglass insulation will have the organic mud embedded in insulation where it will be very difficult to get clean, assuming the refrigeration can be made to work (which is a decent bet given time & laborious cleaning). Fridges/freezers w/foam insulation will fare better. But EVERYTHING will have mud accumulated on any flat surface. Other equipment will have mud inside in every crack & crevice. Some houses had a lot of velocity inside, scrambling contents; some did not. Most houses have 6-8" of mud.

Water Level Observations: CECYTE got 45 to 74" (classroom floor height varies). Primaria school below CECYTE got 69-83" (the hill w/the Mision de Mulege acted as a constriction backing up water). Internado school on icehouse road had ~48". Estimates on level at the bridge vary from 4-5' below to 3 meters; this may be due to the slope of the bridge which is a slight uphill heading south and differing points of reference. Saul's store had 6" (he's several steps up from street) and Lola Cuesta (Scholarship Administradora) across from Saul's had 4.5'. Estimates in the upper Oasis around lot 100 were 10'; Oasis clubhouse was up to the ceiling; Lots 16 & M1 were about 6' (ground slopes up from clubhouse to rear lots in Oasis); Bill & Judy (southeasterly most Oasis lot) got 4' in the house which is built up about 16"; Lot 516 about 6'. No observations till Serenidad which had water in the courtyard but not in the restaurant or bar, and in some of the lower rooms (not much difference in elevation to the restaurant, so I'd say less than 6" general @ Serenidad).

Electricity: On in town, and now on south of river at least to Oasis. Fire alarms going off in some houses/trailers. FWIW, I recommend disconnecting electricity till your service is flushed out & checked, and all outlets below waterline are replaced.

Water: on in town & rumored to be on south of river within a few days. There will be many leaks where lines are torn up.

EngineerMike - 9-11-2006 at 04:15 PM

Toured the schools hit by flooding.

The government has the militaria cleaning the schools, headcount is a military secret but inofficial estimate (which I judge reliable by my counts) are 100 personnel. Way to go Fox!!! Also the military or another agency spread lime in various places to kill infections sources & mosquitos.

I have photos, which we will post to the Scholarship website as soon as possible.

CECYTE, the high school, had ~5-6 feet. All perishable contents are destroyed wall to wall, but the buildings are all intact due to substantial construction (which is true of all 3 schools hit).
Perishable = library contents with the exception of a few volumes not killed by mud, all computers including administration, supplies, etc. Easier to list is what's left: student desks are of substantial construction & survived, library shelves are metal & OK. Administration filing cabinets are metal & OK. School trophies were lovingly salvaged & cleaned. Chem/Phisics lab stools and lab tables were also substantial and survived, along w/a durable periodic chart on the wall. Imagine school rooms with desks, occasional white boards, and you have the idea; nothing else on the walls, no shelves of books or materials pertinent to subject matters.

Primaria School next to CECYTE: Ditto water level, ditto condition, except no library survival. This is a small school w/only 3 rooms covering grades 1-6 (FYI- complusory school attendance in Mexico runs thru grade 6). 4 walls & desks remain.

Internado Boarding school for kids from outlying ranchos off icehouse road: This school has 70 kids, grades kindergarten to 6th; kids were home for the weekend, thank God. They sleep in bunk beds. Some clothing had been bagged up & sequestered by the militarios. Lower mattresses were tossed, uppers stacked out of the way for cleaning of rooms. They don't have beds for 70 kids normally, so some double bunk anyway. The Internado is on slightly higher ground than CECYTE (tho opposite side of river), so only 42-48" water. But as a practical matter, that doesn't mean much. Otherwise classrooms are bare except for desks. All contents within reach of the flood, including computers, are heading for the landfill.

Bruce R Leech - 9-11-2006 at 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by EngineerMike
Toured the schools hit by flooding.

The government has the militaria cleaning the schools, headcount is a military secret but inofficial estimate (which I judge reliable by my counts) are 100 personnel. Way to go Fox!!! Also the military or another agency spread lime in various places to kill infections sources & mosquitos.

I have photos, which we will post to the Scholarship website as soon as possible.

CECYTE, the high school, had ~5-6 feet. All perishable contents are destroyed wall to wall, but the buildings are all intact due to substantial construction (which is true of all 3 schools hit).
Perishable = library contents with the exception of a few volumes not killed by mud, all computers including administration, supplies, etc. Easier to list is what's left: student desks are of substantial construction & survived, library shelves are metal & OK. Administration filing cabinets are metal & OK. School trophies were lovingly salvaged & cleaned. Chem/Phisics lab stools and lab tables were also substantial and survived, along w/a durable periodic chart on the wall. Imagine school rooms with desks, occasional white boards, and you have the idea; nothing else on the walls, no shelves of books or materials pertinent to subject matters.

Primaria School next to CECYTE: Ditto water level, ditto condition, except no library survival. This is a small school w/only 3 rooms covering grades 1-6 (FYI- complusory school attendance in Mexico runs thru grade 6). 4 walls & desks remain.

Internado Boarding school for kids from outlying ranchos off icehouse road: This school has 70 kids, grades kindergarten to 6th; kids were home for the weekend, thank God. They sleep in bunk beds. Some clothing had been bagged up & sequestered by the militarios. Lower mattresses were tossed, uppers stacked out of the way for cleaning of rooms. They don't have beds for 70 kids normally, so some double bunk anyway. The Internado is on slightly higher ground than CECYTE (tho opposite side of river), so only 42-48" water. But as a practical matter, that doesn't mean much. Otherwise classrooms are bare except for desks. All contents within reach of the flood, including computers, are heading for the landfill.

Mike there were 5 schools hit buy the flood not 3

EngineerMike - 9-12-2006 at 10:40 AM

Bruce- I toured the 3 in the Rio Mulege floodplain upriver from the big bridge. When I asked, school officials told me the Primaria in the vado north of Saul's store and the Secundaria were fine; some mud to clean up from the immediate hilldsides but it was within capacity of local resources. I know the two schools' local geography, and the story sounded reliable. I only had limited time due to donation of the pilot time & aircraft, so I got where and what info I could.

If anybody has better info, please post. Mike

capt. mike - 9-12-2006 at 11:03 AM

Mike - can you report on the palapa ville inside the serenidad?
power on at serenidad? and to the palapas?

Mulege-John Kroeger

Garry - 9-12-2006 at 11:04 AM

Hola, Anyone seen John or Libby, Freinds in Sacramento wonder how they made out, an if there boat is OK????

capt. mike - 9-12-2006 at 01:36 PM

Garry, is that you, my neighbor?

Bob and Susan - 9-12-2006 at 01:58 PM

mike you have a damaged awning...

Name

Garry - 9-12-2006 at 01:59 PM

Hi Mike, I live in Sacramento, an my last name is Morris???? Tried to u2u, but would not let me in??

capt. mike - 9-12-2006 at 06:28 PM

that's not all that's damaged............you should see my brain!!

it suffers from.....dain brammage.

i can't decide to replace the awning or replace the trailer!!??

maybe i just make it, the trailer, avail to someone who got wiped out in juan, and start over with a new whatever at my little "white castle" in the bowels of that special place i like to call.....palapaville at the serenidad!:lol::lol::lol:

Bob and Susan - 9-12-2006 at 08:01 PM

you'd find a buyer FAST now!!!

Bruce R Leech - 9-13-2006 at 06:42 AM

Quote:
Bruce- I toured the 3 in the Rio Mulege floodplain upriver from the big bridge. When I asked, school officials told me the Primaria in the vado north of Saul's store and the Secundaria were fine; some mud to clean up from the immediate hilldsides but it was within capacity of local resources. I know the two schools' local geography, and the story sounded reliable. I only had limited time due to donation of the pilot time & aircraft, so I got where and what info I could.

yes the school north of Soul's was one of the few that did not have problems. we only had five schools with heavy damage.

Bruce R Leech - 9-13-2006 at 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bruce R Leech
Quote:

yes the school north of Soul's was one of the few that did not have problems. we only had five schools with heavy damage.

Mike I think you missed the 2 on the other side of the river.

Americans & Mexicans EQUALLY eligible for Aid

BAJAmerican - 9-13-2006 at 09:32 AM

IMPORTANT :The Mexican Government has a well established disaster response effort in place throughout the country, with the coordination between Federal and local, and the assistance between States, impressive.
Sept 12, 200 stoves were delivered to the town to allow people to begin to become self-sufficient more quickly. Since the disaster, over 900 meals a day are served to residents. These types of relief are available to the American residents as well. It is important to be understood that Mexican services are available EQUALLY to American residents. (Note: these are not available to tourists without property here).
It is not clearly understood by some of the Americans here that there is NO DIFFERENTIATION made between needy recipients. Americans and Mexicans are EQUALLY entitled to government assistance, provided, of course that they are here legally and are registered as required by law, with FM3 and property title or legal rental documents.
There is a lack of info on what the American victims need, and who they are, for that matter. In order to qualify for aid, they must register with the Procurador Lic. Sergio Villareal Nogales 1 block from the Post Office. They must present themselves with whatever papers they have of residency or ownership. This process is extremely important to get an accurate assessment of total needs of the ENTIRE community, to distribute benefits equitably. He will provide written certification of their eligibility as "INDEMNIFICADOS". Without this paper, they are ineligible.
We will try to coordinate translation services for insurance policies. Those whose insurance covers their loss will not receive duplicate government aid ALSO. It is either /or, to allow greater coverage of benefits, and avoid double dipping. The greater likelihood is that Americans have NEITHER insurance, NOR register for available indemnification.
It is not that the Government has an intent of ignoring the American residents needs. These people NEED TO REGISTER as soon as possible. PASS THE WORD.

Also, OFFICIAL Govt info is on http://www.bahiasdebaja.com
Much other info is rumor and not official

There is no separate donation distribution for Americans and Mexicans. ALL clothes etc and other aid goes through the Mulege Fire Department. If you donate to other pass thru channels - individuals, Rotary, etc. make sure the funds go through the established channels.

RESIDENT Americans eating in restaurants - be careful the food is not local origin. Meat, chicken, etc from flood areas can carry SERIOUS disease.

Translation services for insured individuals will be noted on the site above.

EngineerMike - 9-13-2006 at 12:30 PM

Bruce- The schools I know of are:
1) Jardin de Ninos near the Y, on a hill, being used by military for a kitchen
2) large Primaria in vado north of Saul's, heard no damage so I didn't inspect
3) CECYTE, high school, damaged as described above, south of river, west of Mision
4) small Primaria, just east of CECYTE, damaged as described above
5) Internado Jardin/Primaria, north of river on icehouse road, damaged as described above
6) Primaria at Loma Azul, didn't hear anything about it, didn't visit
Can you be more specific on which schools I'm missing? (type of escuela & location, extent of damage if know) Thanks, Mike

Bruce R Leech - 9-14-2006 at 06:20 AM

I think the 2 you are missing are the kinder next to the CECYTE and the boarding school on the road to ranchito.

Bruce R Leech - 9-14-2006 at 06:23 AM

by the way EngineerMike several peple I have talked to on the phone wanted me to thank you for all you are doing.

your a good man keep it up

BAJAmerican - 9-15-2006 at 01:29 PM

Revised Address to Register as a person/family affected by the flood:

Americans & others with losses need to make a formal statement to authorities.(in Spanish- translation is avail) to qualify for subsequent assistance.

Can be very simple:
"I am_ . I own the prop at __________. (bring proof if avail)
I lost the house & THESE POSSESSIONS:___________________________
The local official Agent is Lic.Maria Isela Nunez Marquez
location is now at Ministerio Publico on the Main St across from Pemex Station in town. You will get a stamped certificate REGISTERING that you were here and lost property. This will be the only “proof” that will be considered in the future for any future relief emanating from Fed Gov in Mx City.

List of Mulege Schools

ecomujeres - 9-16-2006 at 01:07 PM

FYI:
EcoAmigos has worked with Mulege schools for a number of years so here is a list of all of the schools/locations in Mulege.

Colonia Centro:
1) Jardin Fco. Marquez (on hill above Correos and across from Pinquino)
2) Primaria (by Saul’s)

El Rebaje
3) CECyT
4) Kinder (next door to CECyT)
5) Primaria (next to baseball field and below Mission)

Icehouse Road
6) Secundaria

Road To Ranchitos
7) Boarding school (internado)
8) Kinder (next to internado)

El Cacheno
9) Kinder
10) Primaria

Loma Azul
11) Kinder (this was closed in 2004-05 due to lack of students and I’m not sure if is still closed)

From what Mike reports about 4+ ft of water at various sites, a total of 5 schools (# 3, 4, 5, 7 & 8) would have sustained substantial damage

rpleger - 9-18-2006 at 09:35 AM

We are all digging out of the mess...all the rv parks are helping their tennents except Maria Isabell's RV park where the tennents are on their own as the management has done very little to clear the toxic mud or fallen trees or trash from the park or anything else for that matter. The park is a health hazzard for the people who have to live there. No security or protection from looters. It's a mess.

Future RV caravans take note that this mud, future dirt, has covered the park.

Tell your friends.

EngineerMike - 9-18-2006 at 05:02 PM

Leon Nolet of the Oasis park has taken the position that common improvements are his to deal with, and lots are the owner's. Seems like a rational and equitable approach to me.

Fly Baja - 9-18-2006 at 05:20 PM

<<<Leon Nolet of the Oasis park has taken the position that common improvements are his to deal with, and lots are the owner's. Seems like a rational and equitable approach to me. >>>

Interesting viewpoint. I guess the question is, who owns the lot? Is it really a "lease" or "rent" situation, wherein the park continues to own the lot and the "renter" simply pays for the right to use it. In the U.S., or course, the renter would be responsible for his property on the lot. If the lot itself is made uninhabitable by an act of God (eg., a hurricane) the owner would be required to restore it to the condition it was in prior to the damage. On the other hand, if the resident on the lot actually bought it, and he owns it, then it probably is his/her's to "deal with". Interesting question.

Pages:  1  2