BajaNomad

and now for something different...

Oso - 9-5-2006 at 08:11 PM

as Cleese or whomever would say on Monty Python...

Can't add much info on the situation south, trying to help in my way. This is "Baja-related" from a different time and offered here as a simple momentary diversion, nada mas:

The Water Rock

A ranchero from a remote village in Baja California decided to visit the big city of La Paz against the pleadings of his wife and family who warned him of the dishonesty and trickery of the city dwellers. Undeterred, he slung his machete and 'moral', the woven bag all ?indigenous? men carry in place of pockets, over his shoulder and set out through the desert.

After a few hours walk, he came to the road and caught a second class bus into La Paz. There he marveled at the huge buildings, some of them three and four stories tall! Later, he came upon a restaurant. He stood in the doorway, smelling the wondrous food and unsure of entering until a waiter asked if he would like to come in. ?Is it very expensive?? he asked. The waiter assured him the prices were reasonable, so he sat down and ordered some fish tacos. ?And to drink?? ?Water.? He replied, cautiously.

When the waiter set down his glass, the indio noticed what appeared to be a clear stone in the water. ?What is that in my water?? he asked. ?Ice?, replied the waiter. ?What is ice?? he asked, never having seen such a thing in his village. ?Umm, it?s like a water rock?, said the waiter. ?It makes drinks cooler and tastier.? Gingerly tasting the water, the ranchero found it delicious and cooler than water from the highest mountain stream. When the check arrived, he asked if it were possible to buy some of the marvelous water rock to take with him. ?No charge!? said the waiter and chipped a large chunk from the block in the kitchen, wrapping it in newspaper.

?Wait until my wife sees this wonder.? He thought as he boarded the bus for the hot, dusty trip home, placing his moral in the luggage rack. ?And she worried for nothing!? Whistling a happy tune, he trekked back to the village, calling to his wife as he came to the house. ?Wife, come and see what I have brought you from the city!? ?What is it?? she asked. ?It is called a ?water rock? and will make water taste wonderful.? He beamed. Reaching into the bag and pulling out a handful of soggy wet newspaper, his face turned livid as he began cursing the dishonorable thieves who had robbed him. ?Oh, you were right.? He lamented. ?One cannot trust those Pace?os?. Not only have they stolen my water rock, but to add insult to injury, they have urinated in my moral!?

Text

Diver - 9-5-2006 at 08:17 PM

Thanks Oso.
It's been pretty heavy around here lately.

Thank you Oso

frizkie - 9-5-2006 at 08:19 PM

That was much needed at a time like this.

A little respite from all this worry.

Oso

Baja Bernie - 9-5-2006 at 08:46 PM

You da man! If only you would share more of the story's that are locked up in your head.

It sort of reminds me of the guy Jimmy Smith--for you youngsters the writer of "The Grinning Garygole Spills the Beans"--used to tell me about. The guy who was finally freed when the ATM's were put in down south.--but that is another story.

Loved the story and it reminded that I learned to drink warm or hot beer because we never really saw much ice in Baja until the early 70's.

CaboMagic - 9-5-2006 at 10:21 PM

Terrific! Levity and humor much appreciated ....