BajaNomad

***BAJANOMAD SITE AVAILABILITY - SLOW - ETC***

BajaNomad - 9-6-2006 at 06:22 AM

I am doing my best to keep the BajaNomad Forums available during this important time.

This is a very busy site to begin with, and with recent events, and mentions in the San Diego Union Tribune - including this morning - the server is being slowed by the incredible crush of traffic to the site. This Mon/Tue (and likely today) traffic was about 300%-400% higher than a "standard" busy day - and has, at times, brought the server to a virtual halt.

I'll be exploring my ability to improve the ability of handling this traffic, and in the meantime be as vigilant as possible to keep things live for as much time as possible.

At any time the site is not available, please do check back at a later time.

More later...

Regards,
--
Doug Means

bajajudy - 9-6-2006 at 07:03 AM

Keep up the good work.
We understand!
You are performing a valuable service, particularly for people with families in the hard hit areas. But, also, for all of us to stay in touch.

Taco de Baja - 9-6-2006 at 07:22 AM

How about doing what another forum I visit does.
Voluntary yearly contributions by the members to help buy faster and up to date servers and other equipment.

Depending on the contribution each member has a multi tiered marker under their name so others know they support the forum in ways beyond post count:
ie. $10-25 a red cactus (or a Baja map outline)
$25-$50 a white cactus
$50-$100 a blue cactus
$100+ a gold cactus

Set it up so all contributions can be through PayPal, so it as easy as clicking the mouse.

Contributing members could also have added benefits like the ability to have a larger avatar, the ability to post pictures larger than 50k.

Just a thought?..

Doug

vgabndo - 9-6-2006 at 07:35 AM

I don't know you, but you're my hero. I don't know WHAT I'd be feeling if I didn't have this way to get information. Even if I don't know if I still have my house. Hand in and I'll keep my on-line time to a minimum. THANKS

Marie-Rose - 9-6-2006 at 07:39 AM

I must add my "thank you". Your site has been my lifeline during this emotional time.

I totally agree with Taco's suggestion of financial aid to assist with updating whatever is
needed to keep everything updated and running smoothly.

jerry - 9-6-2006 at 07:56 AM

Doug: thank you, thank you, thank you, for the life line and evertything else you have done.

David K - 9-6-2006 at 07:58 AM

Ditto everyone above!:yes:

Bruce R Leech - 9-6-2006 at 08:00 AM

thanks Doug this site is the only good way for some to communicate from this area now .

Great Job

FARASHA - 9-6-2006 at 11:30 PM

It was the ONLY string to hold on to, for some days - THANK YOU, for the hard work to keep it going - Doug
LL