BajaNomad

NEW LOVELY HOTEL IN GUERRERO NEGRO

shari - 9-8-2006 at 08:38 AM

HOTEL LOS CARACOLES new in Guerrero Negro
FOR THOSE OF YOU DRIVING DOWN TO HELP IN MULEGE RELIEF......
There is a new and absolutely gorgeous Hotel in Guerrero Negro. Finally there is a professionally operated nice hotel there other than Malarrimo. LOS CARACOLES is the first hotel you come to on the very entrance to the city on the right side....it is gold color with a nice wall. Some friends of ours bought it this year and are doing a great job there. The 20 rooms are very clean with 2 queen size beds, 24 hr. hot water, satellite tv, secure parking, internet cafe in the lovely office that has a little store too and fabulous collection of ...well....caracoles (shells) as well as art and jewelry for sale. The rates are....1 person- $380 pesos...2 people- $450 pesos... and 50 pesos per person extra and kids are free. Future plans include a nice restaurant and RV parking next door and tours to the whales, cave paintings, missions and fishing charters. Check it out...and tell them Shari sent you and they’ll treat you extra special. Their website is www.hotelloscaracoles@prodigy.net.mx
I'M GOING TO CALL RAUL THE OWNER AND SEE IF HE'LL GIVE A DISCOUNT TO NOMADS COMING TO HELP IN MULEGE!

Marie-Rose - 9-8-2006 at 08:43 AM

Shari, do you know if they allow dogs?

Mike Supino - 9-8-2006 at 12:34 PM

Correct web site:
http://www.hotelloscaracoles.com.mx/

QuePasaBaja - 9-8-2006 at 01:23 PM

I would also like to know about pets. We travel with two dogs. And a Baby:)

Jack Swords - 9-8-2006 at 02:32 PM

Same here Shari. We always stay in GN going and coming. We also (as do many Nomads) travel with a small, well behaved dog. Being dog friendly determines whether we stay in any given hotel/motel. If we can have our dog in the room with us, we'll give the place a try. Thanks.

oxxo - 9-8-2006 at 03:06 PM

This the dilemma facing hotels. Who is their clientele and how are they going to cater to them. If a hotel allows smoking or animals I am unable to patronize them. I am extremely allergic to both. I hope, from a strictly self centered motive, that your friends do not allow either smoking or dogs. Or maybe they could set aside some rooms that are pet and smoking free. I do stay in GN on a regular basis since it is a half way point for us.

I do not want to start a verbal war with those who have pets or smoke. I have no problem with that. It's just that it doesn't work for me personally.

Bajamatic - 9-8-2006 at 03:22 PM

So whats the veridict? Dogs or no dogs?

Oso - 9-8-2006 at 05:22 PM

Interesting dilemma. I don't think I'm allergic to animals and I like taking my dog with me when I travel as he is at least as effective a security device as a handgun. More so really, a gun can't hear, smell or sense an intruder. But, I wouldn't want to enter a room and find a large pile of u-no-what on the carpet.

On the other subject, I used to smoke many years ago. (let's stick to tobacco for purposes of this discussion) I never got to a pack a day habit and mostly just liked the taste of unfiltered Camels and an occasional Kools. Since I never really got hooked, it wasn't all that hard to quit and I've been a "non-smoker" for at least 25 years. A moderate amount of second-hand smoke never used to bother me and traveling around the U.S. before the current "anti" mania, I usually never noticed an odor problem in motel rooms. NOW, however, the majority of rooms are non-smoking and smokers, those modern pariahs of society, are herded into the few rooms reserved for them. The result is that those rooms house ONLY smokers, leaving a super concentration of tobacco odor, unbearable even to a "tolerant" person like me. Welcome to the new "Apartheid".:rolleyes:

BajaBruno - 9-8-2006 at 09:35 PM

I think my usual hotel in Mex City asks me if I want a non-smoking room, but in Guerrero Negro? No, I don't remember that ever happening. I just take what they give me and hope the folks next door don't keep us up all night . . . I don't mean to be disrespectful, but is there any reason to do anything in G.N. but spend the night and leave? I have looked all over that town for something to do other than have dinner and sleep and haven't found it yet.

It does have a hospital, but I can't see the entertainment value there. Not even a launch ramp that I could find . ..

David K - 9-8-2006 at 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaBruno
I think my usual hotel in Mex City asks me if I want a non-smoking room, but in Guerrero Negro? No, I don't remember that ever happening. I just take what they give me and hope the folks next door don't keep us up all night . . . I don't mean to be disrespectful, but is there any reason to do anything in G.N. but spend the night and leave? I have looked all over that town for something to do other than have dinner and sleep and haven't found it yet.

It does have a hospital, but I can't see the entertainment value there. Not even a launch ramp that I could find . ..

Welcome to Nomad!

Things to do??? Why the world's greatest salt evaporative mine is there (year round):light::lol:

Seriously, the whales in Scammon's Lagoon is the big seasonal attraction, sea bird viewing from the old pier, the world's best beach combing from Isla las Arenas (if you can get over to it) might be added to the possibilities?!

Enrique Achoy's web site offers tours from Guerrero Negro: http://www.malarrimo.com

bajaguy - 9-8-2006 at 09:52 PM

maybe we could put together a salt evaporating observation trip.....sounds like a hoot!!!!!....a perfect place for margaritas!!!!..........and David K could post photos???

Oso - 9-8-2006 at 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by lencho
That dog? Try a bazooka! I've never been introduced to a dog I didn't like, but your pal makes even me nervous! :-o

--Larry

What, Chu Foon? He's a pussycat. He's only bitten 4 people and only one of them required hospitalization.

G.N. is a bird sanctuary. If you're into it, there are a lot of Osprey nests to observe. Once you get past the necessity of "tourist attractions", it's a rather nice Mexican town of "colonists" from throughout the republic who have lives not totally dependent on "us".

Paulina - 9-8-2006 at 10:56 PM

Quote:
Quote:

What, Chu Foon? He's a pussycat. He's only bitten 4 people and only one of them required hospitalization.

G.N. is a bird sanctuary. If you're into it, there are a lot of Osprey nests to observe. Once you get past the necessity of "tourist attractions", it's a rather nice Mexican town of "colonists" from throughout the republic who have lives not totally dependent on "us".

I want to see Chu Foon! post a photo Oso, por favor! When we are asked if our dog bites, I say, "Sometimes, and usually only coyotes. She's that tough"....Bring on CHU!

P.<*)))><

shari - 9-9-2006 at 08:51 AM

Having lived in Guerrero Negro many years, I can assure you there are some fun things to do. There are fantastic dunes where we go to picnic and swim as the dunes are right at the edge of the lagoon back by the airport. The drive out to the Lighthouse, called "La Isla" is very nice with tons of birds...even the rare night heron. YOu can swim in the Pocita on the way out there and fish off the pier at the lighthouse, or visit the aquaculture sights there for Lions Paw scallops. Ojo de Liebre lagoon is open from Dec.-May and is an amazing beautiful place...you can see tons of whales from the beach there and there is a lovely restaurant there too.

The tour of the saltworks is incredible and super interesting and free!! Raul who owns the hotel Los Caracoles was a top executive there and can arrange it all. He is a classy guy who loves to fish. Also there are several lovely restaurants, Don Gus has the best food and service anywhere in Baja and Las Cazuelas is a great place as well with good service. There are coffee shops, lots of stores, and a few good night spots...Veteranos is a great bar to play pool and watch sports and for dancing La Vieja Hacienda rocks with live bands. The nice thing about Rauls hotel is that it is very quiet but he does not accept dogs in the rooms but I shall call him and talk to him about maybe setting aside a dog room! He's new at this and maybe open to some new ideas...he related a bad experience they had with dogs in the rooms. I'm also going to mention non smoking rooms to him and I'll report back.
So, if you want to see some cool stuff in Guerrero Negro just call my daughter Sirena and she can be your personal tour guide! She loves to show people around as she is from there.

BajaBruno - 9-9-2006 at 12:39 PM

Thank you for the welcome, David K., it is very kind of you.

And thank you, Miss Shari, for the info on G.N. ( very nice web site on Asuncion!). Maybe next trip south we will stay an extra day.

Bob and Susan - 9-9-2006 at 01:11 PM

ALL dogs bite...

The ones without teeth "GUM" you.:lol:

shari - 9-10-2006 at 12:46 PM

OK here's the LO DOWN on the new hotel LOS CARACOLES. Yesterday I had a long conversation with owner Raul and mentioned the nomads concerns about pets and smokers and he will start immediatley on some new rooms without carpet, tiles as the last guests he had with a pooch, it piddled on the carpet and the bed! Yuck. So he's gonna make some of the new rooms he's building with just tiles. Also there are designated smoking rooms and most are non-smoking. But you have to mention at the desk which you prefer. It's cool he was very receptive to constructive ideas.

Jack Swords - 9-10-2006 at 05:56 PM

Thanks Shari for checking with Raul. The tiles are a good idea. There are some beds in motels "piddled" upon by humans too, I'm sure. Too bad some dog owners let that happen. Does Raul have any idea when these new tiled rooms will be available? Soon the tourist traffic will be increasing down the road and it would be nice to be able to try out this new hotel. Word spreads quickly on a new place, especially one that is dog friendly.

shari - 9-12-2006 at 01:31 PM

Yes, Raul is building several new units as we speak to be ready for the whale season starting in December but may be ready sooner than that.I was happy he was receptive to our suggestions and pleased with his response and idea of leaving the floors tiled instead of carpeted. He has been convinced to change his NO PET rule!!! Now what do we do with the human bed wetters??

paul-sf - 1-19-2007 at 12:20 AM

I stayed in GN in december and popped my head into the new hotel. Very nice place with new computers in the office with internet access. The rooms looked nice and it seems like they also have a suite for rent in a separate structure on the corner. I would def stay there on my next visit.

DianaT - 1-19-2007 at 08:32 AM

Since this thread came back

Shari, is he accepting dogs in some rooms now? Frankly, while they are cold, I prefer tile floors---eaiser to really clean.

Also, I know I have posted this before, but just a suggestion. We always travel with two large flanel sheets that we put over the beds in a hotel room----it collects any dog hair---even when the dogs are not on the bed, I know when my dogs shake, the hair flys.

We also never mind it when an owner will ask for an extra charge ---often refundable upon inspection.

So, has the dog thing worked for them?

Thanks
Diane

shari - 1-19-2007 at 08:39 AM

I called them a few days ago to make a reservation for a Nomad and they said the "dog rooms" are nearly ready and they do have non smoking rooms as well. Mention Shari sent you and they will be happy and treat you extra nice!

Iflyfish - 1-19-2007 at 12:12 PM

As a life long allergy sufferer I know that many people do not understand how horrible it is to not be able to breath or sleep when exposed to animal danders and cigarette smoke. It is wonderful that many hotels are now designating rooms for people who suffer these very real conditions. Many people enjoy travel with their pets and like to smoke. It is great that there will be accomodations for both. This is rare in my experience in Mexico.

Tile floors also decrease the opportunity for molds to develop. Molds can be very bad for allergy sufferers. Congrats to Raul.,

Iflyfish