BajaNomad

HOW to Reduce Photos for Baja Nomad Posts

David K - 9-8-2006 at 11:07 PM

I have been asked many times how to reduce photos on your computer's file to smaller than 50 KBS (Nomad size limit)... The following was posted in November 2005 in a thread called ESSAY CONTEST by Packoderm... If my method (actually Neal Johns') isn't easy enough... use the search engine and go to that thread for other methods posted by Nomads...

Here is the method I use:

I used Windows Picture It in the past... but the last batch (Erle Stanley Gardner Museum Pics) I tried a new way that the great aridologist Neal Johns told me, and it was easy and in a program all pcs have (I think), 'paint'.

If 'paint' isn't on your deck top, do this (click on):

a) Start

b) All Programs

c) Accesories
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
1) Paint (start here if 'paint' is on your desk top)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
2) File

3) Open...

3a) then click on the photo to get reduced (double click).

4) Image

5) Sketch/Skew... then change the % down from 100 in both sketch & skew to a lesser number... My photos were taken at normal quality 55-60 kbs. (vs. HQ or SHQ) and changing the % to around 90% brought the kbs to under 50.

If you are taking HQ images, try reducing to 30%.

Continue to Click on:

6) OK

7) File

8) Save As

8a) now type in a new name for the photo or add 'R' to it to indicate it is the reduced one... this is a copy so you don't mess with the original.

9) Save

THAT'S IT!

When you move the mouse over the reduced photo in the files, the kb size will show and let you know if you didn't get it low enough, or too low! In either case, repeat the steps above... after you do a couple it gets pretty easy.

Photos over 25 kbs (but less than 50) will usually look fine on Nomad posts.

Taco de Baja - 9-9-2006 at 08:48 AM

Or just open an account on a hosting web site like Photobucket or Imageshack

Then copy your photos from your hard drive to their server, then copy the link of your photo into the body of the Baja Nomad message. This way you can post numerous photos in one message, as well as not use up memory on the Baja Nomad server :)

David K - 9-9-2006 at 10:46 AM

Good point Taco... IF your photos are already on another web site, then KB/file size doesn't matter... You can hot link to your photos.

Use this button located right above where you type in your messages here...

[Edited on 9-9-2006 by David K]