BajaNomad

March '07 El Camino Real Mule trip

Baja Bucko - 9-11-2006 at 11:11 PM

I have used up my list of traveling companions over the past yrs' riding el camino real so I am looking for a "few good adventurers".

Actual mule trip will run approx. Mar26 to Apr2-3. Good health and adventurous "Baja" attitude important, mule riding experience not a pre-requisite. This yr's trip will start at Sta Marta and head north. I am organizing now because I have permit stuff to get done w INAH because we will be going into the San Franciscos so cave paintings will be in the schedule somewhere. Taking names.......:cool:

Neal Johns - 9-12-2006 at 07:08 AM

Baja Bucko is a great person and an old Baja hand. If you can ride a mule for several days, do it! Great country north of Santa Marta.

FARASHA - 9-12-2006 at 09:27 AM

BB please check your U2U - ;D

pappy - 9-12-2006 at 06:45 PM

boy that would be fun! a week later and i could go. i am involved with mule pack trips in the los padres forest, and have always wanted to do a ride in baja.perhaps in the future a pack tripa long the pacific coast?

Baja Bucko - 9-12-2006 at 09:08 PM

El camino real is my addiction-alternate routes and otherwise. Gotta ride where the feed and water is.......

TMW - 9-13-2006 at 07:07 AM

Bucko how far north will you go on the mules.

Santa Marta to Santa Gertrudis

David K - 9-13-2006 at 07:30 AM

In one of the maps drawn by Howard Gulick in 1954 (never published) showing the route of El Camino Real in Central Baja, you can see the area of Bucko's next ride. Gulick's maps are found in my web site called 'Finding El Camino Real' which helps you plot the mission trail with the Baja Almanac: http://vivabaja.com/ECR

Of interest, Harry Crosby was greatly assisted by Howard's maps when Harry was researching the trail used by Junipero Serra for his 'Kings Highway in Baja California' c1974.

At the web site you can click on the small map to enlarge it for full detail...

[Edited on 9-13-2006 by David K]

TW

Baja Bucko - 9-13-2006 at 05:03 PM

TW-it is too early to say...last yr I rode from Santa Gertrudis to San Casimero and then looped over and back to SG. Because of the "permit" thing riding nr the San Franciscos there are alot of ifs at this point. Also the heavy rains I'm sure made Baaad trails even badder. One way or another I will ride ecr but it is too early to plan too much more. I will know more by the end of the year.