BajaNomad

Maybe of interest

Al G - 9-20-2006 at 05:40 PM

JERUSALEM (Reuters) - Mosquitoes' thirst for sugar could help kill the pests and eradicate the malaria they spread, scientists in Israel said on Tuesday.
Yosef Schlein and Gunter Muller of Jerusalem's Hebrew University said they wiped out virtually the entire mosquito population of a southern Israeli oasis by spraying a sugar solution mixed with "Spinosad" insecticide on acacia trees.

"The mosquitoes are about 30 times more attracted to the acacia than other plant life," Schlein said, explaining why that particular tree was chosen.

Maybe some testing can be done in Mulege'

Acacias are also common in Africa, where malaria has been on the rise due to environmental changes, drug resistance and mosquito resistance to conventional insecticides, according to the researchers' study published in scientific journals.

Other blossoms in areas where acacia trees are not common could also be sprayed with a sugar solution and Spinosad, described in the study as safer than microbial and chemical insecticides currently used against mosquitoes.

The planting of mosquito-attracting "floral centers" could provide a "relatively easy and cheap method that in suitable regions can supplement the limited arsenal against mosquitoes," the researchers wrote.

comitan - 9-20-2006 at 05:56 PM

Al

Good article, good information.

Some Q&A

Al G - 9-20-2006 at 06:06 PM

http://www.aphis.usda.gov/publications/plant_health/content/...

frizkie - 9-20-2006 at 06:55 PM

Very interesting Al.
Thanks for that info. :yes:

vandy - 9-20-2006 at 07:13 PM

Cool! Did you also know that mesqite trees are close relatives of acacias?

Also Cats Claw, I think------- related to Acacias

Barry A. - 9-20-2006 at 09:16 PM

FARASHA - 9-21-2006 at 12:59 AM

VERY interesting - explains a LOT, while living in ha'Aretz - those buggers where all over me, especially when inside the house (by night the drove me crazy). While I was outdoors or when sitting under trees they rarely bothred me, can't remember what species these trees were, but I guess that must have been then one of those trees mentioned above.

QuePasaBaja - 9-21-2006 at 10:22 AM

I am very lucky that there are very few in the area where we are. It is always cold, and they dont do well up here.

Cypress - 9-21-2006 at 11:11 AM

Al G! Getting rid of mosquitoes is a very good thing. :light: Any way-Any how. :light:

FARASHA - 9-23-2006 at 02:08 AM

Wondering - In Israel Mosquitos are also called ( everydays language) NUDNIK (singular) , same as a refered to a person who is a pain in the ...neck. Especialyl for guys pestering a woman.
Now I ask - would this sugar mixture work for all Nudnik's?:?:
I could have needed it then, for both.:biggrin:

Cypress - 9-23-2006 at 05:35 AM

Spinosad and sugar? Any effect on honey bees or other useful insects?:)

Dave - 9-23-2006 at 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by FARASHA
VERY interesting - explains a LOT, while living in ha'Aretz -

Shalom, Parpar. Ayfo b'ha'eretz? V'motye?

I tried to post in Hebrew but the letters came out as numbers. Is there someway around that...Doug?

FARASHA - 9-24-2006 at 08:19 AM

ShalomDAVE - garti be ARAD, we awadti be Yam Ha'Melach. me shanna 93 ad 95 ;D Parpar

kellychapman - 9-24-2006 at 09:34 AM

does this mean I can spray sugar water all over my body along with spinosad....:lol: and nothing will pester me again? except men will want to lick it off...we can get rid of the ones that we don't want to pester us!!!
Great information and what a fantastic idea for getting rid of those horrible blood sucking insects...for the trees and plants.....just a joke about body parts....
I am amazed at the information that is passed down to us.....thank you so much....I love this information....
Kelly

Al G - 9-24-2006 at 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Cypress
Spinosad and sugar? Any effect on honey bees or other useful insects?:)

Not according to the Q&A that I posted above.
I don't want to reread it so from memory :lol: It only effects Mosquito's, white fly, and maybe No-seeums. I think it has to do with body weight.

[Edited on 9-24-2006 by Al G]

FARASHA - 9-24-2006 at 09:46 AM

Hey Kelly, just had the same idea when I read and then posted first response, but didn't want to say it so freely.HEHEH:bounce::lol:

kellychapman - 9-24-2006 at 10:02 AM

I guess I should not be so frisky and be more reserved......:lol: yeah right...you sound like a wonderful woman I would love the pleasure to meet and hear your experiences in life....
Kelly

FARASHA - 9-24-2006 at 10:31 AM

Kelly just mail me, You find a mailing adress in my profile!
With some luck I might see you in Loreto sometime next year!!:biggrin: Then we can test out the new stuff for mossies.
And what the hell do we gain from being reserved - eh, just got scrwd in life in reverse.:mad:
All the Nudniks out there, they get more out of Life then we do, nahh, getting too old for being NICE gal.:P

bajaguy - 9-24-2006 at 11:05 AM

I would like it if you sprayed yourself with a light, subtle vanilla musk scent

bajaguy - 9-24-2006 at 11:13 AM

Hose....she can give it to you when we meet in Ensenada

FARASHA - 9-24-2006 at 11:36 AM

THANK you Guys to refere to us( Kelly/Me) as fresh blood - or do I hear this tiny high noise - that drives me crazy by night?
Are there Nudniks around??? - :bounce::bounce::lol:
UhOh Vanilla scent - hm, yes those suckers love Vanilla too, I found out the hard way!!:biggrin:
Will willingly pass on MY special receipt to your wife,how I got rid of the pestering Nudniks, but there is NO sugar in it. :bounce::bounce:
Seems HoseA is worried about your morale bajaguy - waving with the lost mailadress.
No Danger from me for sure - I'm toooo far away!!
AND I'm a VERY decent woman!!!
It's just that we are happy to have found new friends.
AND its my Birthday today -so got to be a little bit funny!!

I JUST LOVE this Board. Nice people with humor and knowledge.

bajaguy - 9-24-2006 at 12:29 PM

And a very Happy Birthday to you!!!!!

FARASHA - 9-24-2006 at 12:38 PM

THANK YOU; had a great day with MY steady guy ....:yes: