BajaNomad

How Many Different Species of Fish & ? Have You Caught in Your Life?

SoCalAl - 9-22-2006 at 08:33 AM

:light: This is intended for fun and just to check out where and what type of criters you have pulled out of the Oceans in your lifetime. I know I have had my fair share and probobly would need a semi-truck container to put all that fish in if I ever had the opportunity to collect all at one time. So have fun with this and maybe if you have some photos that would be cool.:cool:

My List
Growing Up- I used to get excited about going to the pier and catching Makerel and bonito. Man I did that for three or four years almost every week-end. I would leave my part time job at a radiator repair shop on Saturday afternoon. I would come over to my Japaneese friend Eddie and say, hey Eddie I got gas money let's go fishing (Eddie was retired and loved to sleep alot). It would take about an hour or two before I convinced him but once he was up, we got ready and left for the rest of the week-end. We fished all Saturday night and all day on Sunday. Our route was Redondo Beach Pier (before it burned) all night and New Port, Hunington, Seal Beacha piers and the Queen Mary rocks (Jeti). We always found other points in-between those locations to try. I tried all kinds of baits and gadgetts, I used to make my own feathers and jigs out of spoon and fork handles. I baited my hook with everything you can think of from fish to gummie bears. I tried tomatoes, onions, fish guts, gummy works (those worked on makerel), corn and so n and so on. I guess I was going through the experimental stages. I tried all sorts of rigs too, I was always looking to see what would work the best. In the end a simple slider weight and hook and a pea weight and hook worked the best anyhow. Jigs, it's funny how as the times pass people try the new stuff and forget the old stuff works to. :lol: I just laugh at the situation, not the people for I have introduced friends to fishing and they go all out and buy thousands of dollars in expensive reels and poles and I still outfish their but with the Sport-Mart, K-mart, Wall-mart stuff. It ain't about the equipment especially in salt water. I hate taking my stuff to the tackle shop and getting it greased and lubed drags redone, I could be fishing or doing something else. Just fork out another $20 or $30 smacks for a reel and go catch another few dozen fish. Well I will get into the boat fishing later but for now here is a list of the stuff I draged out of piers, jetties, beaches, rocks, and marinas....

Makerel
Sardine
Anchovie
Lady Fish
Sculpin
Cabezon
Halibut
Tarpon (flat fish) I don't the exact name
flounder
Misc Rock Fish
Sand Bass
Calico Bass
White Sea Bass
Johnny Bay Bass
Spotted Bass
Bonito
King Fish
Queen Fish
Spotted Fin Croaker
Corvina
Barred Perch
Butter mouth Perch
Opel eye Perch
Black Smith Perch
Catalina Blue Perch
Garabaldi
Lizard Fish
Jack Smelt
Harring
Needle Nose fish
Barracuda

Shovel Nose Shark
Sand Shark
Sting Ray
Leopard Shark
Lemon Shark
Thorne Back Shark
Angel Shark

Lobster
Dungenese Crab
Spider Crab
Sand Crab
Octopus

and several other misc stuff.

Hooked into seals & boats, not fun....

These are the fish and other creatures I can remember catching of the coast and not on a boat over a period of 4 or 5 years as a teen-ager...:cool:

What about You???

Johnny - 9-22-2006 at 09:31 AM

I fish off the beach here in San Diego, in La Jolla when I was a kid. Here's my list.
Halibut
Sheepshead
calico bass
opal eye
surf perch
white sea bass
sculpin
sting ray
garabaldi (oh, no throw it back before anyone calls the cops.:lol:

once my friend hooked a swimming lobster with my pole

once in San Felipe I caught a wierd ray type thing with a fat tail I forget what it is called but the nick name is mock lobster, great fish tacos.

the only time I went on a boat I caught some mackerel, a small baracuda, and hooked a large shark that they encouraged me to give up rather than fight all day, so that I could catch more, but no more luck that day. I wish I had brought in that shark. They said it was 8 or 10 feet.

I used to go to Mission Bay and suction up ghost shrimp for bait. they were the best. Otherwise I use salted anchovies, squid, peas, and if I'm desparate I have my kids dig up sandcrabs. I've also been known to pick up a seafood medley at Trader Joe's for lack of a local bait shop.

My last catch was a small sting ray on my last cast, It was the day after Steve Erwin Died. (croc. hunter)

Has anyone heard of PFA, Positive Fish Attitude, it works for me.

Thanks for promoting me to Junior Nomad, it sounds so much better than 'newbie':lol:

Johnny - 9-22-2006 at 09:33 AM

Oh I forgot my favorites:
leopard shark &
sand shark
and once a trout in a stream in No.Cal

Bob H - 9-22-2006 at 09:40 AM

SoCalAl... I was walking the pier in Ocean Beach yesterday and saw a guy bring in a lobster on his line. Never saw that before. The lobster was latched on to his bait and just as he brought the line over the rail the lobster dropped off. It was a nice size lobster. How did you catch yours?

I LOVE to fish

Paulina - 9-22-2006 at 09:46 AM

and clean them as well. I have caught a few, but the top one on my list that I haven't experienced yet is the Wahoo.

P.<*)))><

April, it's PSA

Sharksbaja - 9-22-2006 at 10:10 AM

Positive Shark Attitude.

Here's the skinny.....I confess, I have caught and eaten many types of sharks in my day. Some were absolutely delicious....better than swordfish(which I also do not eat)

If you study and learn about sharks it quickly becomes apparent that they are not like typical fin-fish. Most know they are a "cartilaginous" animal as opposed to "boney fish" and that makes em totally different than fish.

Sharks' lifestyles(not mine;D) differ in many respects . One important factor for determining the fate of sharks is there inability to reproduce early. There are many sharks that take as many as 5-6 yrs to produce off-spring.
Other ways to mitigate the sharks' future should be addressed globally. Sportfishing sharks is probably not a concern but long-lining and fin-fishing have always been practices that damage fisheries.

As a promoter of the Shark world I deplore you to fish for other, not so precarious, animals. I could tell you but you already know, how tasty some are.

Past favorite shark to eat:

Shovelnose(taste like chicken)
Thresher(taste like swodfish)

Worst....

Blues( tastes, looks like blubber)

---
Fish:
Opaleye(stinky) We called em "button-backs"

___

Hey SoCal, how da heck does you catch anchovies wid a hook??:?:

Tarpon(East Pacific??) do tell...

Nice list there. Many fine meals as well!

Don Alley - 9-22-2006 at 11:05 AM

How many species have I caught?

I don't know.:lol:

I have not caught: Wahoo, Black Marlin, Swordfish, Opah, Big Eye tuna, rainbow runner, but I want to.

I also have not caught one of these:

pic32391.jpg - 26kB

FARASHA - 9-22-2006 at 11:14 AM

Hm, Whitefish? - always thought they are found in the Hudson river NY only??

David K - 9-22-2006 at 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Don Alley

I have not caught: Wahoo, Black Marlin, Swordfish, Opah, Big Eye tuna, rainbow runner, but I want to.

Well, unless you fish Mars, what is that? Have you posted it or tried to ID it on Gene Kira's web site?

Cypress - 9-22-2006 at 01:53 PM

I've caught most fresh and salt water species , Pacific and Atlantic. Still fishing, gonna get to the rest of 'em sooner or later.:yes::yes:

Cypress - 9-22-2006 at 02:39 PM

whistler. Yep! That's my story and I'm sticking to it.:biggrin:

AmoPescar - 9-22-2006 at 02:50 PM

WHAT KIND OF FISH HAVE I CAUGHT...this will take some thinking!!

If you can translate my Nomad name, it roughly means "I love to fish." So as you might imagine, I DO love to fish. My first remembrances of fishing were off the rocks and docks near PIERPOINT LANDING in Long Beach Harbor. How many of you remember PIERPOINT LANDING??? My dad would drag the whole family down there and we'd catch tons of little Perch about 6" long. Then, if we were lucky, we'd get to eat Fish and Chips or hot dogs and ride a kiddie carnival ride.

When I got a to be about 6, my Dad started taking my youger Brother and I on 1/2 day & 3/4 day boats out of different landings in Long Beach, Seal Beach Pier, San Clemente Pier and Oceanside Pier. I'll have to hunt for the pictures of us on our driveway with rows of Barracuda and such spread out before us. Getting on the boats as they bobbed, bucked and rolled next to the pier was sure a challenge.

At age 10, we moved to Huntington Beach, so my Brother and I started fishing off the HB Pier. If we were not at the beach, you could probably find us on the pier. A stranges tale I remember from that was a fish I didn't get up. I was bored after a long morning of slow fishing when I took a chunk of LOOK (remember those?) candy bar and baited my hook with it. Well, my pole went BENDO big time and I was really having to crank hard to get it up. But, it never made it up high enough to see what it was. I still wonder to this day what it was! We used to catch quite a variety off the Pier, but probably the most exciting were Barracuda and Bonitos. We would catch them by tossing out a chromed Diamond Jig or using a wooden splasher block with live bait. Whenever we could scrape together enough money from our allowance or collecting Soda Pop bottles on the beach, we'd go on the 1/2 day boat from the HB Pier or ride the shuttle boat out to the HB Barge which was anchored about a mile offshore and a couple of miles north of the Pier. You could fish all day there for one price and take the boat out or back in when you wanted.

When I became old enough to drive, I would drive myself to Pierpoint and take an overnight, 1/2 or 3/4 day boats. Later after getting married, I'd leave the wife at home and go with Buddies to almost every landing on the coast, or if I had to, go by myself.

When my Son was 8, I took him on his first trip, a Twilight charter I had organized for our church Men's Group. Well, he caught the Biggest fish and won the Jackpot Prize (rod and reel) his first time out. I wish could say "Like Father, Like Son," but he's a better fisherman than me and has won more jackpots. He and I continued fishing together on many overnight, 1/2 and 3/4 day trips over the years.

In 1991, I was finally able to realize a dream of taking a Father/Son fishing trip to Palmas de Cortez at Los Barriles on the East Cape. That first week long trip there was the best we ever had there. 1/2 hour into our first day out, we had hooked up to a 212 lb. Blue Marlin which I let my then 12 year old son fish and land. During the trip we managed to catch many Dorados, Sailfish, Wahoos and lots of nice Yellowfin Tunas including my best, an 88 pounder. We were lucky enough to have made about 7 trips down there and caught many varieties of fish.

Well, probably way to much of my fishing biography...LOL!!! BUT, I could go on with the stories forever!

But, one more side note. I definitely imparted a LOVE of fishing to my Son. He still LOVES to fish to this day! But, in addition to Saltwater Sportfishing , he's really gotten into Freshwater BASS fishing. He now owns a Bass fishing boat and is now starting to enter Professional Bass fishing tournaments. His goal is to be a Professional Bass Fisherman.

And regarding FISHING TACKLE....I own about 15 Fishing Rods, 20 or so Reels, as well as Tackle Bags and Boxes FULL of artificial lures of EVERY type, size and color, 100's of hooks of EVERY type and size, and MUCH, MUCH, MORE...

SALTWATER FISH I HAVE CAUGHT...

Striped Marlin
Sailfish
Wahoo
Yellowfin Tuna
Big Eye Tuna
Skipjack Tuna
Roosterfish
Dorado (aka: Mahi Mahi)
Triggerfish
Pargo
Needlefish
Barracuda
Bonito
Yellowtail
Halibut
Mackeral
Calico Bass
Sand Bass
Spotted Bay Bass
Sheepshead
Whitefish
Bluefish
Sculpin
Rock Fish/Cods (not sure of all the varieties)
Ling Cod
Herring
Sardine
Smelt
Shark (several varieties)
Stingray
Perch
Garibaldi
Octopus
Giant Squid
Crabs

FRESHWATER fish...

Rainbow Trout
Largemoth Bass
Crappy

FISH I'VE NEVER been able to catch...but would like to catch!

Albacore Tuna
Bluefin Tuna
White Sea Bass
Salmon
BIG...Alaskan Halibut
Broadbill Swordfish
Black Marlin
Blue Marlin

Well, I'M SURE there are more which I CAUGHT and can't remember the names of.

Plus...I would be lying if I didn't say that MANY had gotten away...LOL!!! :rolleyes:

THANKS to SoCalAL for starting the thread and trip down Memory Lane. :light:

If I can find pictures, I'll try to scan and post some soon.

AMO PESCAR (aka: Michael) :yes: :wow:

[Edited on 9-22-2006 by AmoPescar]

Cypress - 9-22-2006 at 02:52 PM

whistler, Caught some regular Jacks 30lbs.+, No Giants.:)

Don Alley - 9-22-2006 at 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Quote:
Originally posted by Don Alley

Well, unless you fish Mars, what is that? Have you posted it or tried to ID it on Gene Kira's web site?

Just messing with everyone's head. That and other goofy fish were making the internet rounds as "washed up in the tsunami" but were actually taken on a deep water exploration effort:
http://spiralbound.net/2005/08/23/fish-supposedly-washed-up-...

AmoPescar - 9-22-2006 at 03:11 PM

WHISTLER...

YES, I did forget SKIPJACK!

Cypress - 9-22-2006 at 03:59 PM

On second thought! There're a lot of fish I haven't caught.:light:;):D

SoCalAl - 9-22-2006 at 04:29 PM

Wow - Did not expect many to answer but hey that's what its all about. ;D

Shark Baja - I will pay for a sword fish dinner when you and I finally meet, but it has to be sword fish (mercury and all). Chovies and the misc stuff I caught, with nets, hands, trebble hook snagging and etc.
Got to admit I do not eat most sharks I catch unless it they are good size.
:tumble:

:tumble:

Skipjack Joe - 9-22-2006 at 06:13 PM

My fondest memories as a youngster was the Redondo barge. You could fish all day with all the bait you ever wanted for $2.50. I remember boarding at 6AM and there would be people in sleeping bags on deck who had fished the night before. Lots of bonito on those trips. And sablefish. Remember those things. They fought like a wet rag but mom sure liked it when I brought them home.

How many fish do you think you would get if you came across this scene? It's OK at the start but after awhile you start to look elsewhere.

pinks.jpg - 48kB

Oso - 9-22-2006 at 06:57 PM

My memory cells are too fried to attempt such a compendium, but this has resurrected a memory of childhood:

When I was about 11, I was fishing for Snook with my Uncle Fish. (His real name was Sylvester but everyone called him Fish because he was a fishing fanatic who quit a good paying job at the height of the great depression because they wouldn't give him time off to go fishing.) This was in the channel between Sannibel and Captiva islands off Ft. Myers, FL. Well, Uncle Fish hooked a Ladyfish and as he started to reel it in, a 7 foot gator glommed onto it and wouldn't let go. My uncle was using a lightweight rod and spinning reel with maybe 10# line. Instead of cutting line, he played that damn gator more than an hour, finally bringing it ashore where some tourists took pictures. Then he finally had to cut the line as they were a protected species back then.

How many?

baitcast - 9-23-2006 at 08:31 AM

After reading this thread I got to thinking how many kinds of fish have I caught in 65 or more years of fishing?
My god I have no idea,having lived in the northwest for many years than socal for 30 I have had the opportunity to catch a bunch:biggrin:

Some of my first memorys as a very young boy was following my father stream fishing for eastrenbrook trout in northeastren wash. and northern ida.,my father was probaly the most skilled poacher in the state. I,m sure the salmon,trout and spiney rays were only to happy to see me leave.

My salt water career started in 59 after moving to socal.
and a whole new world opened to me,surf,jetty and off shore in the 60,s when fishing was very good,big white sea bass off belmont pier was not uncommon!

I have laid waste to the croaker family
I,ve caught all the tuna,s with the exception of the big-eye,the bluefin being my favorite.
The marlin,s are fun to watch but imagine a 500# or 600# bluefin,not wasting his energy jumping just sheer horse power.
Did alot of shark fishing when I got enough money together to get a boat,caught them all thresher,mako,the mako,s were called bonito sharks back then,even two hammerheads which was uncommon.

Baja opened up another whole world:bounce:
The inshore fish of baja norte learned to fear my very presence before I could afford a tin boat,then it started all over again.

Hooked my first dorado on the stern of a ocean going tugboat ATF in the navy between Hawaii and Enewetok
atoll I say hooked because the only thing I could find was a old spinning rig and a rusty old bass plug to work with,it didn,t last long say 10 sec.,A buddy and I finally learned to hand-line enough to feed the whole crew,one big fish.fry.

I.m currently chasing stripers and big catfish on the Colorado,no big fish yet but I,m working on it.

This was just the ramblings of a old fisherman who,s whole life has been just that FISHIN.

BAITCAST
I hope when my time comes the old man will let me bring my rod and the water will be warm and clear.

Tomas Tierra - 9-23-2006 at 09:54 AM

that's good stuff Baitcast!!!

a life full of fishin is a good life...

Cypress - 9-23-2006 at 11:44 AM

Thanks baitcast. You have a gift for words. Enjoyed your post.:bounce:

A reply to the Whistler

baitcast - 9-23-2006 at 12:41 PM

I,ve been currently working the willow beach area,thats at the upper end of lake Mohave,there,s a fish hatchery there and every fri they dump 2or3 thousand rainbows which in turn brings the stripers,every week or so I hear about a 20#or30# taken,I,m not close to that number but I,m working on it.

Also right below Davis dam I,m sure I,ll get one,there always lots of small fish,right after 9/11 they strung a cable across about a 1/4 mile down from the dam so you can,t get to close,I,m sure those big spawners jam up against the dam.

Haven,t live here for more than two years and have alot to learn about these big boys

Cypress just where do you live in northern Ida.?
BAITCAST
I don,t let these fish interfere with my trips down south

Cypress - 9-23-2006 at 12:52 PM

baitcast, Bonners Ferry.

Bonners Ferry!

baitcast - 9-23-2006 at 01:26 PM

Cypress I lived on lake pend o ray " never could spell that"
right across from Hope,Oden Sunnyside,dad had 180 acres
2000' of water frontage,1946 thru 49,I think of that spot often.
Before moving to az. I had a place on long lake down stream from Spokane and we used to drive up there often just to see what I believe is the most beautiful lake in the world,and I believe still holds the worlds record rainbow
at 37# and dolly varden at 32# not to mention monster lakers.
BAITCAST
nice talking to you boys

Skeet/Loreto - 9-23-2006 at 01:51 PM

Great Thread!!
This will be a Start:
SweetwaterLake, Sweetwater, Texas-1931 to 1941
BlueCat, YellowCat, Perch, Brem, Channell Cat

Lake Texhoma, Oklahoma
Sandies {Sand Bass} Schooling on Top of the Water
First 4 Lb Blue Cat caught on a Lure.

Crowley Lake, Calif.-5 and 6 Lb Rainbows
Bloody Lake{Near Mamouth Lakes] 3 Lb. 3 Oz Golden Trout-Hangs on my Wall

Owens River- Many Many Browns and Rainbows

Amphtheater Lake, out of Bishop 11,000 Ft. off the John Muir Trail-
Crossbows to 5 Lbs

Martinez Bridge, Sacramento River Large Strippers and One 50 Lb. Sturgeon
on a 12 Lb. Trout Rod.

Chinnock Salmon- Caught in the Columbia River i Mile from Dock at Illwaco, 32 Lbs.

Bamfield British Columbia, Many Large Chickens{ Hailbut} up to 85 Lbs

Uclulet, British Columbia- Sa,mon and Flatties

Tashais, B. C. Same as Above

The Baja List will come later which includes the Largest- An 800 Lb. Blue whose Jaw and Teeth reside on my Office Wall caught on a 125 Lb. Line.

Skeet/Loreto

Cypress - 9-24-2006 at 06:03 AM

Baitcast, Lake Pend Oreille(looked the spelling up) is still beautiful. The fish populations are in trouble. The rainbow and lake trout are eating all the kokanee.:no: Last I heard the state was gonna put a bounty of $10 for every rainbow or laker over a certain size. 18"s?:?: That property on the lake is worth a fortune now.:)

Different species??

Al G - 9-24-2006 at 11:03 AM

Well not many, but This is a great thread that gives you a warm feeling that last for a while.
Last April, in Los Barrilies I got to fish at a Rock that produced 18 different species. All were fun and exciting.
Some were ugly as hell, some were weird, some were Stunningly beautiful. If you want to catch to learn, this is the spot. Can't wait for that sauce Corky.

IMG_0249.JPG - 41kB

Cypress - 9-24-2006 at 12:12 PM

Oso, Don't know about the compendium? :biggrin: Your uncle must have been one heck of a fisherman.:yes:

comitan - 9-24-2006 at 12:24 PM

Al your holding a Parrotfish, don't you know you can't catch them with a hook.

Al G - 9-24-2006 at 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by comitan

I know "nouthing", but someone better tell the fish that.:lol:
Is this a rule or are you jerking my leg?:?::saint:

Al G - 9-24-2006 at 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by lencho
Quote:
Originally posted by comitan

Of course you can. You dive down and stick your hook on a really juicy-looking part of the reef, then wait and pray. :>

--Larry

You guys, I getting more confused by the minute.:?::?::lol:

Parrotfish menu

baitcast - 9-24-2006 at 05:42 PM

Coral is the favorite,but also like very small crabs.and will also take hunks of shrimp.
BAITCAST

Al G - 9-24-2006 at 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by lencho
Quote:
Originally posted by Al G
You guys, I getting more confused by the minute.:?::?::lol:

Al, did you catch a parrotfish with a hook and line? "Common wisdom" has it that you can't because they don't feed on other swimming fishies, preferring to nibble on the coral reef. I have no personal experience.

--Larry

Oh yes, it was a killed sardine that I was after Pargo. I thought I had a large grouper that would not come off the bottom. Leave it to someone who knows nuthing, to get lucky.
My buddy Steve caught what I guess was a rare Golden grouper, twice the size of the parrot fish. We returned him to the rock.
I guess that was why Javier Cota was excited.

[Edited on 9-25-2006 by Al G]

Frank - 9-25-2006 at 03:29 PM

We use to catch parrotfish on Guam using sticky rice.:biggrin:

Al G - 9-25-2006 at 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Frank
We use to catch parrotfish on Guam using sticky rice.:biggrin:

Thanks Frank, I thought my memory was getting worse, I was sure there was a hook on the end of my line.:lol:
Maybe I knocked the sardine off and hooked a juicy piece of corral?:lol::lol: I don't know, sure glad I got lucky. It was um um good. Definitely the hardest fish I ever filleted. Yes the other poster is right "they Stink"

Cypress - 9-26-2006 at 09:06 AM

You can nail those parrot fish with a sling. Ever been surrounded by a bunch of 'em munching-out? Can hear their teeth crunching, sounds weird.:yes:

SoCalAl - 9-27-2006 at 12:55 PM

Wow, great stuff... I have caught so many fish in the ocean and that is what is do cool about it. You never really know what you are going to catch out there, especially if you fish light line around rocks, reefs and kelp. Lake wise I totally suck. Catfish, bluegill, trout and mosquito bites. But in the ocean there is nothing like fish 8lb to 12lb and catching fish upto 50lbs, now that's cool. the most memorable a 50+ lb Thrasher caught on 10lb with a fresh water rod, 32lb Yellowfin on 12lb, 35lb, 29lb, 25lb and several in the teens Halibut on 8ln and 10lb test. 65lb Angel Shark on 10lb test and a few decent size calicos, sandies and bonito. That is exciting to me more so than 80lb test on a 200lb bruiser...

Great stuff and nice to see how every one has gone through so many similar experiences.

Have a great one:
SoCalAl
Alex Licea:cool:

pargo - 9-27-2006 at 01:25 PM

Hey Al G. You're mistaking me for Lencho...But thanks just the same!!

Cypress - 9-27-2006 at 01:26 PM

Some of you guys have caught a bunch of fish!:o If those bluegill weighed 50lbs. they'ed rate a 4/0 Penn with 50+ test line. ;)

Another old one for fun

baitcast - 6-11-2015 at 06:45 PM

Bump for the fun of it.

Rob

woody with a view - 6-11-2015 at 07:00 PM

kinda like asking how many women......:P

AKgringo - 6-11-2015 at 08:18 PM

I probably haven't caught as many different species as you folks that have spent years fishing Baja waters, but I did manage to get a 'Grand Slam' of salmon one year. That is, all five species of Pacific Salmon in one day!
I have to admit that the Chinook/King salmon was past his prime and released right away, but the pinks, chum, coho and sockeye were bright and fresh. This was from fishing two rivers the same day on the Kenai Penninsula in the mid 80s.

freediverbrian - 6-11-2015 at 08:30 PM

Could not even begin to count , with at least 20 species of rock fish , a dozen kinds of jacks, and snappers and bass. Fresh, salt , Pacific , Alantic. At least a couple of hundred

David K - 6-11-2015 at 10:52 PM

9 year old thread bump, wow! Great stuff...

What do some consider the most beautiful or colorful game fish caught off Baja?

To me, the dorado and the golden grouper are outstanding. Sheep's Head stands out.

Roosterfish is pretty nice to look at, too.

redhilltown - 6-11-2015 at 11:28 PM

Not a "game" fish per se...but the Christmas wrasse (the name could be wrong) is quite pretty. Upper Cortez. And yes, released.

wrasse.jpg - 62kB

durrelllrobert - 6-12-2015 at 08:37 AM

???? I was sure that there were only 2 species of fish: fresh water and salt water ???

[Edited on 6-12-2015 by durrelllrobert]

bajaric - 6-12-2015 at 10:40 AM

I have caught many kinds of fish over the years, started out with typical freshwater species such as trout, bluegill, and bass, and after I moved to San Diego saltwater fish such as calico bass, mackerel, rockfish and the occasional yellowtail, the typical stuff for a semi-serious angler like me. The last few years got in to the Bluefin and Yellowfin tuna on the overnight boats. My one truly rare and unusual species was a fish I caught off the rocks at Cabo Pulmo using a Rapala lure about 25 years ago on a road trip all the way to Los Cabos and back. It was a Clown Hawkfish. (Shown in the The Baja Catch Book) Beautiful fish. Released it. Even back then when catch and release was not practiced as much it was too pretty to eat.

monoloco - 6-12-2015 at 06:00 PM

Brown trout
Rainbow trout
Cutthroat trout
Dolly Varden trout
King salmon
Coho salmon
Sockeye salmon
Pink salmon
Halibut
Short raker rockfish
Yellow eye
Black rockfish
Grayling
Lingcod
Greenling
Ratfish
Quill back
Black cod
Hake
Pollock
Crappie
largemouth bass
Smallmouth bass
Bluegill
Channel cat
Flathead catfish
Bagra
Sculpin
Barracuda
Giant trevally
Blue trevally
Wahoo
Sierra
Corbina
Corvina
Trigger
Rooster fish
Rainbow runner
Yellowtail
Dorado
Black marlin
Striped marlin
Needlefish
Cabrilla
Robalo
Yellowfin tuna
Albacore
Hogfish
Sheepshead
Flag cabrilla
Grouper
Mero
Skipjack
Horse mackerel
Bonito
Toro

baitcast - 1-28-2019 at 12:38 PM

Things are a bit slow so BUMP for a oldie.

fishbuck - 1-28-2019 at 02:24 PM

Quote: Originally posted by monoloco  
Brown trout
Rainbow trout
Cutthroat trout
Dolly Varden trout
King salmon
Coho salmon
Sockeye salmon
Pink salmon
Halibut
Short raker rockfish
Yellow eye
Black rockfish
Grayling
Lingcod
Greenling
Ratfish
Quill back
Black cod
Hake
Pollock
Crappie
largemouth bass
Smallmouth bass
Bluegill
Channel cat
Flathead catfish
Bagra
Sculpin
Barracuda
Giant trevally
Blue trevally
Wahoo
Sierra
Corbina
Corvina
Trigger
Rooster fish
Rainbow runner
Yellowtail
Dorado
Black marlin
Striped marlin
Needlefish
Cabrilla
Robalo
Yellowfin tuna
Albacore
Hogfish
Sheepshead
Flag cabrilla
Grouper
Mero
Skipjack
Horse mackerel
Bonito
Toro

That is an inpressive list.

David K - 1-28-2019 at 03:30 PM

My late amigo, Baja Mur, had a copy of Tom Miller's Angler's Guide to Baja and he checked each fish shown when he caught that variety. His goal was to catch every fish shown in Tom's book. Sadly, Mur died far too young so I am not sure how close he came to accomplishing his goal...

Most of my Baja fishing history was before my dad died... it just wasn't the same passion for me when he was no longer with us. It is a great sport and I love seafood... but the off-roading, exploring, documenting Baja with maps and logs was a bigger hobby for me.

From my memory, here are some of the varieties I have caught:
Dorado
Corbina
Yellowfin croaker
Spotfin croaker
Calico bass
Halibut
Triggerfish
Yellowtail
Corvina
Surfperch
Rock cod (many types)
Cabrilla
Pargo

Here were some of our favorite fishing places:
Castro's Camp, Ej. Eréndira (Panga bottom fishing for rock cod)
San Antonio del Mar (Surf fishing)
Laguna Manuela's Variety Beach (Surf fishing)
Cabo San Lucas (Panga fishing)
Juncalito, Loreto (Panga fishing)
L.A. Bay (Panga fishing)
Gonzaga Bay (Panga fishing)
Bahia Santa Maria, San Felipe (Surf fishing)

Tom Miller's book...

This book is popular with a lot of folks on Nomad...

This book by Ray Cannon is probably the most responsible for introducing fishermen to Baja in the mid 60s and the shift in calling the Gulf of California, The Sea of Cortez...

[Edited on 1-28-2019 by David K]

fishbuck - 1-29-2019 at 10:39 AM

I want to look through the fishing books again.

A few from my list
1) Barred surf perch
2) Barred surf perch (smaller)
3) Green back mackerell
4) Top smelt
5) Pacific halibut (short... always short)

But on the very next cast I shall hook a sea monster...

[Edited on 1-29-2019 by fishbuck]

fishbuck - 1-30-2019 at 11:41 PM

A near record Topsmelt like 12-14 inches.
I did the live release for a girl who caught it.
So I am claiming a partial catch:cool:

[Edited on 1-31-2019 by fishbuck]

chippy - 1-31-2019 at 02:46 PM

I´m bored so I´ll play.

Saltwater

Albacore
Amberjack
Barracuda
Kelp bass
Sand bass
Spotted bass
Striped bass
Bonito
Cazon
Cabezon
Corbina
Corvina
Chula
Black cod
Blue cod
Lingcod
Spotfin croaker
Dungeness crab
Spotted dart
Dorado
Morray eel
Monkey faced eel
Flathead
Kawakawa
Halibut
Jack crevelle
Leather jacket
Makerel (bait)
King makerel
Spanish makerel
Sierra makerel
Blue marlin
Striped marlin
Morwong
Nannygai
Needlefish
Opal eye
Surf perch
Rainbow runner
Robalo
Roosterfish
Sailfish
Coho salmon
King salmon
Mako shark
Thresher shark
Sheapshead
Skulpin
Skipjack
Smelt
Dog tooth snapper
Red snapper
Sturgeon
Yellowfin tuna
Triggerfish
Vermillion
Wahoo
Whitefish
Yellowtail

[Edited on 1-31-2019 by chippy]

[Edited on 1-31-2019 by chippy]

[Edited on 2-1-2019 by chippy]

David K - 1-31-2019 at 03:55 PM

Nice list!
No croakers?

Grand slam day in AK

AKgringo - 1-31-2019 at 04:20 PM

I caught five species of salmon in one day a few years back on the Keni peninsula! This was mostly at a pool just above the high tide line.

The target species was Silver (Coho) salmon, but a large run of pink salmon came in on that tide, and hit everything that moved! I also landed and released a tired King (Chinook) salmon, and caught an ocean bright Chum (sometimes called Dog salmon).

It was only another twenty miles or so down the road to a river that had a strong Red (Sockeye) salmon run going on, so I finished my day there!

[Edited on 1-31-2019 by AKgringo]

chippy - 2-1-2019 at 05:32 AM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Nice list!
No croakers?

Thanks David will add.

David K - 2-1-2019 at 12:30 PM

Quote: Originally posted by chippy  
Nice list!
No croakers?

Thanks David will add.

I think I have mostly landed yellowfin croakers (in the same places as the corbina was caught) but caught a few spotfin croakers as well... I think near Laguna Manuela? The world's biggest spotfin croaker has got to be those caught by Woody in the Seven Sisters somewhere. Have you seen the photos of them? I think Western Outdoor News published them, really giant spotties!

[Edited on 2-1-2019 by David K]

fishbuck - 2-1-2019 at 12:55 PM

I've been communing with croakers here in Newport. Water is cold but summer is coming. I'm working up my swim program.
I saw a big yellowfin croaker off Newport 32. A few days ago.
I pretended I could catch him. He pretended to let me get close. It was fun.

chippy - 2-2-2019 at 05:06 AM

Nice list!
No croakers?

Thanks David will add.

I think I have mostly landed yellowfin croakers (in the same places as the corbina was caught) but caught a few spotfin croakers as well... I think near Laguna Manuela? The world's biggest spotfin croaker has got to be those caught by Woody in the Seven Sisters somewhere. Have you seen the photos of them? I think Western Outdoor News published them, really giant spotties!

[Edited on 2-1-2019 by David K]

Yes I have seen photos of Woodys fish. That thing was a TOAD! I´ve never caught anything close to that size:no:.

Bubba - 2-2-2019 at 08:09 AM

Some impressive lists here!

Howard - 2-2-2019 at 09:01 AM

Does lox and cream cheese on a nice onion bagel count?

Russ - 2-2-2019 at 10:02 AM

Us old timers were fortunate. The license fees were reasonable and many of the now popular lakes were walk-ins so no access fees. I started young at Crystal Cove and by 12 I fished N. Laguna. 2 yrs. at Catalina school. Lots of diving and fishing there. After the Army (1972) spent 2+ years in Santa Barbara and got into fresh water fishing at the area Lakes and streams and North along the coastal estuaries and surf. Move to WA in '80 and learned a whole different fishery up there. And in '92 I moved to Baja. What a life! I get sea sick in the back bay on party boats so never got out for tuna and other off shore brusers but got yellow fin, dorado, sail fish, marlin, sharks and other reef dwellers in my tin boats and ponga. I mostly shore fish now and have racked up a lot of odd stuff around Pt. Chivato. So I've been extremely fortunate and have caught a lot of different species. Enjoy reading about others and their lives with a fishing rod.

dorado50 - 2-2-2019 at 06:53 PM

Waiting for the King of all sportfish to show up on someone's list:tumble:

Bubba - 2-3-2019 at 09:28 AM

Quote: Originally posted by dorado50  
Waiting for the King of all sportfish to show up on someone's list:tumble:

?

Bubba - 2-3-2019 at 10:07 AM

Here's a Bull I did on the East Cape approx 15 yrs ago.

28471318_597219133964782_3755355013749145600_n.jpg - 58kB

chavycha - 2-8-2019 at 05:28 PM

No idea how many I've caught over the years, but I got fourteen different ones today. The first eleven were in the same 100-yard-wide patch of water.

Yellowtail
Bonito
Calico bass
Sand bass
Vieja (sheepshead)
Barracuda
White sea bass x4 (juveniles, 6-8lbs)
Sargo
Two kinds of triggerfish
Some sort of wrasse thing

At another location a little earlier in the morning:
Star-studded grouper
Popeye catalufa
Pacific tilefish

Had I known it was going to be that kind of odd day, I'd have hit the bottomfishing spots a little harder and added another five or so to the list!

[Edited on 2-9-2019 by chavycha]

David K - 2-9-2019 at 10:05 AM

Quote: Originally posted by chavycha  
No idea how many I've caught over the years, but I got fourteen different ones today. The first eleven were in the same 100-yard-wide patch of water.

Yellowtail
Bonito
Calico bass
Sand bass
Vieja (sheepshead)
Barracuda
Sargo
Two kinds of triggerfish

Star-studded grouper
Popeye catalufa
Pacific tilefish

Had I known it was going to be that kind of odd day, I'd have hit the bottomfishing spots a little harder and added another five or so to the list!

Now that is impressive! I bet Ray Cannon and Tom Miller are applauding this up in their fishermen's heaven!

Bubba - 2-9-2019 at 11:23 AM

Yellowtail
Bonito
Calico bass
Sand bass
Vieja (sheepshead)
Barracuda
Sargo
Two kinds of triggerfish

Star-studded grouper
Popeye catalufa
Pacific tilefish

That's way more than a grand slam. Well done!

chippy - 2-9-2019 at 01:50 PM

Yellowtail
Bonito
Calico bass
Sand bass
Vieja (sheepshead)
Barracuda
Sargo
Two kinds of triggerfish

Star-studded grouper
Popeye catalufa
Pacific tilefish

That´s impressive! I¨ve never caught more than 4 species in a days fishing:no:

Bubba - 2-9-2019 at 03:11 PM

Yellowtail
Bonito
Calico bass
Sand bass
Vieja (sheepshead)
Barracuda
Sargo
Two kinds of triggerfish

Star-studded grouper
Popeye catalufa
Pacific tilefish

That´s impressive! I¨ve never caught more than 4 species in a days fishing:no:

Exactly, that's why I mentioned Grand Slam.

NickRod - 2-19-2019 at 07:42 PM

[IMG]https://beta-static.photobucket.com/images/y158/Boardernr/s1/c10350b6-b6a6-4aa2-be1e-87736a18f87d-original.jpg?width=1920&height=1080&fit =bounds[/IMG]

Back in October, La Fortuna area, tons of fun pulling on this guy from the lancha!

[Edited on 2-20-2019 by NickRod]

David K - 2-20-2019 at 08:45 AM

Hi Nick, to show a Photobucket image here:
Before uploading (or upload again for Nomad), select the upload options and then upload size at 800 pixels max (width) or less (640 is popular too).

After the photo is in your album or your bucket, then of the many possible links for sharing, choose the IMG link (copy with your mouse or click on it) and then paste that link in your Nomad post... you can type in a caption below the photo link... and you can add many photo links to a single post. Double space between the links looks better so they all don't run together if you don't have any captions.

An even easier and free photo hosting site is www.postimages.org and it has just three actions to select and you only need to select the one that says ... original size. It is a drop-down menu and simply select 800 or 640 pixels. Then look for the link for forums (near the bottom of the many kinds of links... it begins with [IMG].