BajaNomad

Need some advice from the guys and galls in the know about Toyotas

Debra - 12-13-2003 at 10:51 AM

I am wanting to put together a "fix-it kit" for my "new" 4Runner

You know, all those belts and bolts that everyone advises you should have. (not that I'd know what to do with the stuff, but, I figure if I have the parts, my odds are better for getting help if I need it)

It's a 1992 V6 with all the bell and whistles.

A list of "must haves" would be great help. Thanks, Debra

TMW - 12-13-2003 at 01:04 PM

I have a 93 Toy 4x4 PU. I carry a good first aid kit, at least 2 good tow straps, one with hooks. a set of fan belts, radiator and heater hoses. 2 or 3 good flashlights. 1 or more 5 gal gas can. 2 or 3 gal water jug. Security club. A set of front brake pads. A gas filter. A machete. A hammer. I carry my main tool box when I go to Baja, but for you I suggest a set of combo wrenches and socket set both metric type. Side cutters (dikes) gas pliers, needle nose pliers. Electrical tape and duct tape, zip ties and nylon rope. Tire plugs and a portable air compressor that plugs into the lighter outlet or clamps to the battery. I have a compressor in the engine compartment. That way you can air the tires down for sand and up for pavement. Don't forget the tire gauge. A can of tire sealant wouldn't hurt either. Make sure your lug wrench is easy to use, if not get one that is. Also get a Haynes service manual.

Make sure your timing belt is no more than 60,000 miles old. In fact I suggest having it replaced every 50,000.

Blankets, sleeping bag and snack food etc. For me I carry beer in case I were to break down I could have a picnic.

Hope this helps. I suggest one of those plastic boxes to put most of the stuff in and a seperate tool box or tool bag.

[Edited on 12-13-2003 by TW]

Thanks Tw and Neal Johns

Debra - 12-13-2003 at 06:17 PM

both for your great lists!

and to my Chilian houseguest who tells me that I already have most of this stuff in my garage....He has taken both lists and is stowing the items for me in one area of my garage, and what I don't have he says he has for me (including a compressor!)

Thanks again, and if anyone has a "must have" to add, it would be most welcome. Debra

David K - 12-13-2003 at 06:38 PM

Also, some tequila (for snake bites):P:bounce::spingrin:

Good idea....but should I

Debra - 12-13-2003 at 06:46 PM

feed it to the snake, or pour it over the wound? :saint:

David K - 12-13-2003 at 06:54 PM

Neither... unless it's the cheap stuff!

Say, you thanked Neal... but, where is his list???

He e'd me, I will forward if you like

Debra - 12-13-2003 at 07:55 PM

Skeet/Loreto - 12-14-2003 at 07:57 AM

Debra: I would carry a large Bumper Jack if I was going to be going to the Beach: It is the type you can Jack your Bumper high and put dirt or Sand underneath you r wheel to move our of a Hole. Let me Know and I can send a picture of the type. Skeet

Thanks Skeeter....

Debra - 12-14-2003 at 10:56 AM

Yes please send the pic. I'll show it to my friend......he is talking about some special jack he has for me, maybe it's the same thing....I never thought tools could be fun, but, I have to admit, I feel like I'm on a treasure hunt. :biggrin:

bajajoe - 12-14-2003 at 11:03 AM

Maybe I missed it, but no one seemed to suggest you change your trans fluid and filter. Most people don't and anytime we buy a used vehicle, it goes to the trans shop within a month. While it's open, he can check everything. My guy tells me how long it will last.
After reading that all those cowboy pictures I grew up with were misleading concerning snake bites, I bought a suction cup for the venom at Sportmart.
We did see a nice 6 ft. snake when we were leaving the Diamond Eden near Loreto. The cab driver even stopped to watch it cross the road.:o

Thanks Joe

Debra - 12-14-2003 at 12:12 PM

Yes, that is one of the first things I always do...along with an oil change (no matter what I've been told about when it was last done)

David K - 12-14-2003 at 01:04 PM

It's all good info. However, I am concerned if you cram all that emergency stuff and basic needs into the 4Runner, there will be no room for anything else, let alone 3-4 people.

Please send me Neal's list or post it here (wouldn't we all like to see it?). Neal is a great desert explorer ( http://www.desertexplorers.org ) and 'aridologist'. Plus, he's a solid Toyota believer (advised me to get a Tacoma and I am sold on them, now).

The high lift jack is great, but I never had one and always got out without it... just may have been easier with one. I think you need one of those heavy duty looking off road Con-Fer roof racks for carrying all this extra equipment and high lift jack. Then you may have room for camping gear and people inside.

Getting unstuck is usually a matter of lowering your tires' air pressure way down to you see a good buldge (around 10 psi) and being able to reinflate them. Have a regular size shovel to clear the sand away from the tires and differntials (attach to roof rack).

The air compressor in the engine compartment mentioned above, would be the best. A gas cylinder full of compressed air is the next choice (store on your roof rack). I just have the cig. lighter air pump, and that takes just 5 minutes to blow up a 15 psi (normal deep sand running pressure for me) 16" tire to 25 psi. So, a 20-25 minute ordeal. The really expensive Quick Air pump wasn't much faster, and failed in Baja because the heat generated melted the PLASTIC compression ring that holds the hose in the fitting next to the motor, the first time I used it... they could/should have used brass!

Oh well, you have a lot of info. and suggestions. BajaTaco is another good source. He really fixed up his Tacoma cherry for Baja. Not the same as a 4Runner, but you can get some ideas from Chris. http://www.bajataco.com

[Edited on 12-14-2003 by David K]

David, that was going to be my next question to Neal

Debra - 12-14-2003 at 01:58 PM

But, I didn't want to be too much of a burden on his good advice.

I was thinking that since I probebly wouldn't need (I hope) this stuff, I wanted to know how much all this stuff would weigh, and if it would be advised to stow it on my lugage rack...you know me, I'm all about organizeation (sp?) "everything in it's place, and a place for everything"....I hate wasting time looking for things!

LaTijereta - 12-14-2003 at 04:41 PM

I would make sure I had a couple of cans of tire sealant ($10), to help with flats along the way. You can save space, until you can pay for a good compressor system under the hood.
A good tow strap, extra timing belt, duck tape, HD "+" lug wrench, large zip ties, good set of basic tools, some gas treatment to remove water:fire:
Just the basic sense on where you plan on taking your Toyota off the beaten path;D

Anonymous - 12-15-2003 at 05:46 AM

Try a new motor. That year Toyota had a recall on the factory v6 motor. It should have been replaced by the dealer, but there are many out there that were not. If you have one of those think long and hard before you take it anywhere but around town.

westy - 12-15-2003 at 12:19 PM

The last post is good advice, Debra. Up until 1995, the toyota V-6 had a defect in the motor. Toyota notified all the owners and fixed it for free. Unfortunetly, not all have been fixed. Check it out before travling.

jerry - 12-15-2003 at 06:40 PM

throu in a set of floor mats or carpet scraps the come in handy to keep things clean but you really will happy when ya get stuck in the sand there the best for putting under the tire to get out

Arthur - 12-16-2003 at 01:14 PM

If you're going to take a good jack (Hi-Lift seems to be far & away the best) be sure to take a 12" x 12" square of thick plywood to set it on, so the base of the jack won't work its way into the sand.

About security: I decided to get one of those long clublike flashlights. The Sears one even has a little light that tells you when the batteries are getting low. Has anyone had any experience with a machete catching the eye of a soldier at an inspection, or are they so common that no one notices them? They're really cheap these days, but they're so @#$% lethal that I'm uneasy even having one around.

Does anyone know what the exact problem with the older V6's was?

Last question: How much does it cost to get a compressor installed under the hood? It's always seemed to me that a manufacturer could make an AC compressor do double duty pretty easily, but I haven't heard about that.

toyfun - 12-16-2003 at 07:20 PM

May I suggest getting a four way lug wrench to replace your cheeze factory lug
wrench that way if you do need to change a tire you do not round the lug nuts. { I hate that }. A tube of two part epoxy is a great thing to carry with you also a tube of radiator sealant these items are small but are indispsible when needed.

:tumble:

Neal Johns - 12-16-2003 at 10:01 PM

OK, here is the list I sent Debra - reading the above posts, it is missing some things. :(

Spare water - Pepsi bottles or ???
Jumper cables, long - battery
Tow Strap, 25-30 feet, two in. wide - 4WD shop
Tire patch kit (string type)
Tire pump or 12 volt air compressor
Twenty inch, X type, lug wrench
Socket sets, small and large - (metric)
Fan Belts
Screwdrivers, two regular, two Philips
Four in., eight in. and 10 inch Crescent (adjustable) wrenches
Allen socket set - (metric)
Regular pliers
Vice Grip (locking) pliers
Needle Nose pliers
Diagonal cutters (Dikes)
Radiator hose leak tape
Radiator Stop Leak
Bottle Jack (in addition to the stock jack)
Jack Boards, one foot square, 3/4 inch plywood - two
ReBar tie wire - small spool from Home depot, etc. - (It's just wire)
2 1/2 pound short handled hammer - Home Depot
Duct tape
Electrical tape
Spare fuses
WD-40 aerosol can
Brake fluid, can
Five cans spare engine oil
Can(s) of transmission oil (if automatic)
Can(s) of gearbox/differential oil
Five foot lengths of chain, two sizes - Home Depot
Two x Fours, short, to level truck if sleeping in
Clean Rags
Old sheet (to prevent losing parts in the sand)

TMW - 12-17-2003 at 09:09 AM

Neal, your list of 5 qts of oil reminds me of the first time I when to Malarrimo beach.
We were winding thru a narrow canyon like area and stopped to check out the road ahead. Upon returning to my truck I saw a pool of oil under the front. It turns out the oil line connection at the radiator was loose. I had two qts of engine oil and two qts of tranny fluid. We put 3 qts in the engine, tightened the connection and went on our way. I now carry more oil with me and pay a little closer attention to little things like connections that could leak.

Neal Johns - 12-17-2003 at 10:35 AM

Yeah, any kind of oil will work anywhere if you really have to get out!:lol:

Hair oil?

Thanks everyone!

Debra - 12-17-2003 at 09:17 PM

This has been a really great help to me!

I still haven't heard, how much weight should I dare put on the lugage rack? It has one of those "moon roofs" (I would much rather of had a full rack) so I'm abit concerned. Thanks again

TMW - 12-18-2003 at 08:59 AM

I would put the light stuff on top, like sleeping bags etc. Use a large cloths bag or duffle bag. I would keep the heavy stuff like tools inside. You might look into one of those plastic roof carriers. If the roof rack or frame has most of the support on the outside of the roof it can carry a lot of weight.

Thanks Guys and TW (and "Kneal") Your list is my "Bible"

Debra - 12-18-2003 at 12:25 PM

for all of the advise........"news I can use"....If anyone is "Bouncing around Baja" (Thanks Bernie) and sees a 4Runner with Washington plates and a "Amigos de Baja" or "Viva Baja" sticker you will know I'm loaded, just honk. I have "it" Thanks!

Toyota

bajajoe - 12-18-2003 at 04:31 PM

I didn't read all the replies but you might want to check the history of the car at CARMAX. Have the vin number ready and go to www.carmax.com You'll have to pay a slight fee but it should tell you if that motor was replaced or any other past problems.
buena suerte
Joe

Anonymous - 12-22-2003 at 05:58 PM

If the motor was replaced, it should have a sticker placed in the motor compartment indicating that it was. This was a factory recall not a Federal recall, so not all the V6's were replaced at the time. However, if they were not done then, they probably have been done by now because of all the problems with them.

marla - 12-23-2003 at 12:06 PM

Okay can I get on the 4Runner advice bandwagon here? Asking, not telling. Since I bought a 4Runner because a bunch of you guys told me to (and I've been very happy with it too). Is it really important to change your transmission fluid? The guy was bugging me to pay $90 to change it out last time I got my oil changed, but I didn't know if he was just trying to get ninety bucks out of me or not. Also, what kind of oil should I use in my V6 1997 4wd? I always use Pennzoil because my dad always did, but is synthetic better? If so, what kind? Gracias amigos!

marla - 12-23-2003 at 12:11 PM

Also Debra if you haven't got one, I bought one of those waterproof canvas cartop carriers for camping and it is amazing how much crap you can cram into it. WELL worth the money. I got a softsided one that is easy to take up, take down and store because it folds up. Get the waterproof one even though it costs more. Only drawback is that it isn't secure, but we always parked in secure places anyway....

marla - 12-23-2003 at 12:12 PM

Re the Baja fixit list, would you bring all that stuff if, like me, you barely know how to change a tire? :)

TMW - 12-23-2003 at 01:15 PM

Marla, changing the tranny fluid depends. If you pulled a trailer I would suggest changing it maybe every 25000 miles. If you don't pull a trailer then most tranny fluid will last 100,000. How ever you should check your owners manual, it will advise for your vehicle. I change mine every 25000 miles on my two 4x4 trucks. Including the transfer case. But I only drain the pan, 5 qts. And change the filter. For $90 they are most likely talking about a complete flush, where they pump out all the old fluid while sucking in the new. Thats somewhere around 10-12 qts or more. It may also include a filter. I don't think you would need that more than every 50000 miles.

Syn engine oil will run cooler and will last longer between oil changes, but cost more. If your vehicle uses oil like a qt every 1000 miles I would recommend not using it. The brand of oil is not important as long as it's spec'd for the vehicle your driving and most are, in fact probably only a reconditioned/recombined oil would not meet your specs. Most vehicles use a 10w30, many people like a 10w40 for summer.

marla - 12-23-2003 at 02:27 PM

Thanks! Well my 4Runner has 104,000 miles on it and I don't know if tranny fluid has ever been changed. So maybe I should have it done. I just wanted to know if it was a real issue or if they were just making stuff up to extract more money from my wallet.

Marla....

Debra - 12-23-2003 at 06:10 PM

Yes, I would pack all this stuff...(if I still have room for my spices! : > ) I might not know what to do with ALL of it....but, I figure, if I have the parts, I'm in much better shape to find help if needed ,and like you, I often travel alone with my son.

TMW - 12-23-2003 at 06:39 PM

One thing I do is keep a log of everything I do to my trucks, by date and milage. I put it in the service manual but a tablet would do. Any vehicle with a timing belt should have it replaced within 60,000 miles. Check your fluids before taking off into the unknown. A good thing to get use to is always look at and under your vehicle when approching it, low tires, fluid leaks etc. Pay attention to your gauges and warning lights, they don't call them idiot lights for nothing. For many if not most Chevy and Toyota vehicles you have a connector under the dash that when two pins are jumpered it will flash a code that relates to whats wrong with engine problems. It's in the service manual relating to the emissons system.

Thanks TW

Debra - 12-24-2003 at 01:59 PM

That's good info. to know

The list

Ski Baja - 12-24-2003 at 02:23 PM

Debra, I won't bother to give you my travel list as most of it has been covered, especially Davids recommendation for the snake bite kit !
But, I will add Wet Wipes to the list and you will thank me for that one. Baby wipes or whatever they call them are awesome after a drive, dusty conditions, or just refreshing to be able to wipe off everything.:light:

Thanks....those have been on my list for about 29yrs.!

Debra - 12-24-2003 at 09:24 PM

Sorry

Ski Baja - 12-24-2003 at 09:37 PM

I have just recently discovered how important they really are. Whether your kids are with you or not. In my case, they are for dude sorts of things as gay as that may seem. Stuck- wet wipes. Wind- wet wipes. Dust- wet wipes. Fishing- wet wipes. Whining B-------wet wipes.
Obviously, I am behind the times.:lol: