BajaNomad

Where would you go?

Alan - 10-3-2006 at 07:02 AM

Fire season usually ends about mid-Nov and my son gets laid off for the winter. Looking for suggestions for a 2 week trip starting the day after fire season ends and before school starts for him. Plan to tow my 23' Striper. Camp or hotel but we really prefer camping and cooking our catch. We did Mag Bay last year but never having been there we found we weren't prepared for it. Really needed to be prepared to camp at Santa Maria bay. I wasn't sure about security setting up a beach camp there but couldn't afford to pay the $75/perday/per person with Mag Bay tours so we ended up in Loreto. I was thinking Bahia de los Muertos but have never been there and don't know about launching there.

Bottom line is we are looking for some quality surface action. We both need to mark Wahoo off our list of fish to catch but would still be tickled with larger tuna, dorado and some billfish for fun.

Where would you go?

Don Alley - 10-3-2006 at 08:52 AM

Loreto fishing? By mid November dorado and billfish may become scarse. It's a bit late in the season for them. And Loreto is never the best location for tuna or wahoo. For surface fishing, I've scored on roosters that time of year, but that can be spotty too. November is not really Loreto's best fishing; you'll get more action farther south or maybe at Mag Bay.

There are places to camp cheap or for free near Loreto, such as Juncalito or Rattlesnake near Puerto Escondido, but in contemporary Baja things can change quickly.

Juncalito

pargo - 10-3-2006 at 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Don Alley
Loreto fishing? By mid November dorado and billfish may become scarse. It's a bit late in the season for them. And Loreto is never the best location for tuna or wahoo. For surface fishing, I've scored on roosters that time of year, but that can be spotty too. November is not really Loreto's best fishing; you'll get more action farther south or maybe at Mag Bay.

There are places to camp cheap or for free near Loreto, such as Juncalito or Rattlesnake near Puerto Escondido, but in contemporary Baja things can change quickly.

Don, Didn't they build some resort at Juncalito. Man I hope not. That place was gorgeous just the way it was.

shari - 10-3-2006 at 02:34 PM

You would be very welcome here...our favorite visitors are firefighters...they have a blast here and it's just what they are looking for. Great fishing, diving, playing, and no development!!!

Bob H - 10-3-2006 at 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Alan
I was thinking Bahia de los Muertos but have never been there and don't know about launching there.

Bahía de Los Muertos is now called Bahía de Los Sueños which is now a large development of very high priced custom homes, etc. I don't even think you can get to the shoreline there, but I'm not sure. You will get lots of suggestions here. Have you ever thought of going down toward La Paz?

Diver - 10-3-2006 at 03:04 PM

Hey Shari, I thought your favorite visitors were NOMADS ! :lol:
We'll have to change that when we see you in January.

Los Muertos is being developed more all the time. There is a useable boat launch but I'm not sure it's always open to the public. There isn't really anywhere to camp near the dock area as it's in the middle of the sales center/clubhouse area. Last time I was there, they had a gate across the ramp.

There are a few beach lauch spots and maybe still one concrete ramp in La Ventana which is about 30 minutes drive north of Muertos Bay. There are a few camp spots, some gorilla camping, restaurants and essentials. Some guys last year stayed in La Ventana and trailered the boats to Muertos for launching.

mtgoat666 - 10-3-2006 at 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Alan
We did Mag Bay last year but never having been there we found we weren't prepared for it. Really needed to be prepared to camp at Santa Maria bay.

Bottom line is we are looking for some quality surface action. We both need to mark Wahoo off our list of fish to catch but would still be tickled with larger tuna, dorado and some billfish for fun.

Where would you go?

I have never been fishing at Mag Bay, but I have heard fishing friends rave about it and say it can't be beat. Mag Bay fishing is on my to-do list.

Now that you have been to Mag Bay once, I'm guessing it might easy to go a second time better prepared. I'm curious, what was your experience that you were under prepared ??

Alan - 10-3-2006 at 07:43 PM

I know November is a transition time for Loreto which is why I posed this question looking for somewhere else. We did have a blast with a bunch of little roosters though.
Quote:
Originally posted by Don Alley

Alan - 10-3-2006 at 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by shari
You would be very welcome here...our favorite visitors are firefighters...they have a blast here and it's just what they are looking for. Great fishing, diving, playing, and no development!!!

Actually my son and I are both firefighters. He works for the USFS and I work for a County Department. I have heard great things about Asuncion. Do you have a launch ramp that willl handle a 23' deep vee boat? I've driven past the turnoff numerous times but didn't want to tow all of the way in there then find out I couldn't launch.

Alan - 10-3-2006 at 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob H
Bahía de Los Muertos is now called Bahía de Los Sueños which is now a large development of very high priced custom homes, etc. I don't even think you can get to the shoreline there, but I'm not sure. You will get lots of suggestions here. Have you ever thought of going down toward La Paz?

Actually the La Paz area seems like it would be most what I was looking for but I'm not that familiar with the area so was looking for help on where to stay and where to launch.

Alan - 10-3-2006 at 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mtgoat666
I have never been fishing at Mag Bay, but I have heard fishing friends rave about it and say it can't be beat. Mag Bay fishing is on my to-do list.

Now that you have been to Mag Bay once, I'm guessing it might easy to go a second time better prepared. I'm curious, what was your experience that you were under prepared ??

The big issues were launching and getting in and out of the Bay which must be done at high tide. We launched from San Carlos because I didn't know of any launch ramps in Puerto Lopez Mateo. High tide when we were there was about 9:00am so it would be well past dark for the next high tide to come in so it was necessary to stay offshore at anchor in Santa Maria Bay. I had all my camping gear just in my pickup bed so I rented a room at the Hotel Brennan to store it. We had a report that warm water was to the south so that is where we went instead of the Thetis as we had planned. Wrong move. Radio reports indicated the fish were at the Thetis while we trolled a 100 mile loop to the south for nada. We spent the night on anchor at Santa Maria Bay which looked like a great place to set up a beach camp but I don't know how secure our stuff would be while we were out fishing. We made the run back to San Carlos in the morning. I also didn't feel real comfortable just leaving my truck parked at the ramp and don't know how secure it would be if left alone for several days.

I would love to fish there again if I had a group of people with a couple of boats and a secure place to park our tow rigs.

[Edited on 10-4-2006 by Alan]

Skeet/Loreto - 10-4-2006 at 04:01 AM

Alan:In Loreto in the Past, there has been some very goodfishing to the South. Id Run South to Las Animas for lots of Tuna on the Surface, also scattered Large Dorado. The only Wahoo I have seen has been at Catalana.
I Still Question the so-called Record supposedly caught off of Isla Carmen.
Skeet

Don Alley - 10-4-2006 at 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by pargo
Don, Didn't they build some resort at Juncalito. Man I hope not. That place was gorgeous just the way it was.

No resort at Juncalito, nor have I heard any plans to build one, although I have heard Fonatur controls the "public" beach and that's not good. Attempts to close the road to the beach last spring failed when the fence was torn down at least twice. For now it's still nice, if you don't mind the gaggle of winter campers.

Farther south Playa Escondido is the site of a 2000 unit development by the Villas Group, and north at San Bruno hotels and golf is planned by a Spanish developer. I am surprised Juncalito has not been gobbled up in the rush. I am keeping my fingers crossed.

pargo - 10-4-2006 at 11:58 AM

Don, I'm probably mistaken about Juncalito..could it be Ligui that has been developed? I was there at one of those places and my buddy who was with me at the time returned and found it not fully completed but development well underway.

I'd consider

Hook - 10-4-2006 at 12:33 PM

San Lucas Cove, just south of Santa Rosalia.

The yellers should be there at the north end. Great group of guys there that will share info and/or just monitor 72. Clean camping with a good shower complex.

And if the north winds havent started in force, there could still be warm water species around.

You will have to launch that boat at high tide but the tides are high in the AM for most all of November.

chino - 10-4-2006 at 02:00 PM

Alan,
I'm sure that you guys will have a good time wherever you go, I havent had a trip down yet that we didnt have a ball, and when compared to the fire season we've had in CA any trip would be a good one!. We finally have hsad some rain in N/W CA and the 2 and 1/2 month long fire is starting to roll over, Bien Viajes

Alan - 10-4-2006 at 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by chino
Alan,
I'm sure that you guys will have a good time wherever you go, I havent had a trip down yet that we didnt have a ball, and when compared to the fire season we've had in CA any trip would be a good one!. We finally have hsad some rain in N/W CA and the 2 and 1/2 month long fire is starting to roll over, Bien Viajes

Ahhh Yes. The good old Bar Fire Complex. I think that one is going to take a season ending rain before it finally goes out. A friend of mine just left Monday to go up and take over the management of that one. As he puts it "He's been selected to close the bar". We still have to get through the Santa Ana's before we call our season here in SoCal.

You're right. Baja is Baja but it's not always good. Some times it is absolutely great! With my schedule I get a chance to get out and fish during the summer but he has different days off if he even gets them so he misses most of the surface season here. I just want to put him on quality fish that will pull back.

I think everything north of La Paz on the SoC is usually in transition at that time. I'm really thinking another shot at Mag Bay is in order for at least a couple of days then on to La Paz. I'm going to contact Mag Bay Tours to see if I can arrange parking for my truck and then either stay on the boat or set up a camp at Santa Maria Bay. So what are some places in La Paz I should be looking at?

chino - 10-4-2006 at 07:46 PM

Alan,
We did the north end of mag bay last winter with small boats and kayaks we never attempted the outside and caught and released a ridiculous amount of Grouper, Corbina and assorted others, also the surf fishing was incredable out at the "bocas"
Is your friend on the bar Rocky O?
Good luck, be safe!

Alan - 10-5-2006 at 06:44 AM

Quote:
Is your friend on the bar Rocky O?
Good luck, be safe!

Bingo! Do you know him? He and I just got out a couple of weeks ago for a day between fire assignments. Picked up 3 local dorado not even 5 miles off the beach. Are you on the Shasta-T?

[Edited on 10-5-2006 by Alan]

Hook - 10-5-2006 at 10:11 AM

Please let us know how you fair with Mag Bay Tours, if you go that route. But I think they can direct you to safe parking in PSC at the Brennan.

Bahia Magdalena- Whales and fishing

thebajarunner - 10-5-2006 at 10:48 AM

Years ago we were at the bay for whale watching in February, and we were told that there was no fishing allowed during whale season.
Not sure if this info was accurate, or local myth.
Anyone know about whales and fishing.
(no, not interested in fishing for whales, you can keep all that sarcasm in the can)

Alan - 10-6-2006 at 04:18 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hook
Please let us know how you fair with Mag Bay Tours, if you go that route. But I think they can direct you to safe parking in PSC at the Brennan.

The Brennan parking lot is fairly small though there is ample parking across the road in an open field. The trick becomes picking up your driver and getting back to your rig when you come in. It's about 2 miles from the ramp.

chino - 10-6-2006 at 05:56 PM

Good advice Hook, sounds like salt and whiskers advice.
Allan I am a mercinary working for mercinaries, I work for a fire crew contractor out of chico with 2 crew contracts on the Shasta-T, a collective goal of the overhead that run the company is to work hard in season, and Baja in the winter, I worked on a South Zone Hot Shot crew oppisite of Rocky and Art in the 80's good folks, maybe we'll hook up one winter!
Later

comitan - 10-6-2006 at 06:17 PM

I have parked right at the ramp many times while out fishing no problems, there is some sort of school or eco camp there.

Alan - 10-6-2006 at 09:10 PM

Quote:
Good advice Hook, sounds like salt and whiskers advice.
Allan I am a mercinary working for mercinaries, I work for a fire crew contractor out of chico with 2 crew contracts on the Shasta-T, a collective goal of the overhead that run the company is to work hard in season, and Baja in the winter, I worked on a South Zone Hot Shot crew oppisite of Rocky and Art in the 80's good folks, maybe we'll hook up one winter!
Later

VG?

Alan - 10-10-2006 at 05:42 PM

Mag Bay Tours did reply and advised that due to space constraints they can only provide parking for their clients which is fully understandable. They did say there is a trailer park in town (SC) that may be able to accomodate parking.
Quote:
Originally posted by Hook