BajaNomad

Biting 'bugs'

Phil S - 10-7-2006 at 06:49 PM

Biting bugs don't bother you???? What do you eat, or what are you putting on besides the Deet stuff??? It's that time to pack & head south. What do you use for protection? Is there anything new on the market this 'season'????

DavidT - 10-7-2006 at 08:16 PM

I started using unscented soaps and detergents in Florida, it seemed to help with the mosquitoes. On trips into Baja I don't get chewed up as bad as my buddies who use highly scented soaps, laundry detergents and deodorants.

bajaguy - 10-7-2006 at 08:38 PM

Eat lots of garlic and olive oil..........

Diver - 10-7-2006 at 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajaguy
Eat lots of garlic and olive oil..........

Of course !!

But what about the bugs ?? :lol:

Personally, I smoke stinky cigars and wear long pants/sleeve in the evening. Works for me.

jerry - 10-7-2006 at 09:23 PM

sorry im not any help phill i do most of the cooking and use a lot of garlic onion olivel oil i seldom get bit but judi gets eaten alive i do spray the yard plants and dirt as soon as i get there with bug be gone its the old dieasanon stuff seems to help at home she uses deet
ill give ya a yell when i get there jerry

FARASHA - 10-8-2006 at 01:55 AM

I do the same as DavidT, plus use SMOKING stuff - as COILS, or Incense Sticks (Sandalwood or Jasmin scent) indoors and outdoors, works great everywhere I have been till now (Asia, Africa, Baja, Europe).
IF I have to use bodylotion (dry skin etc..) then I mix some drops of TEATREE oil (any drugstore has it) in the lotion on my hands,before creaming my skin - works great and smells ok. Otherwise I suffer from bites all night long. Beside that the Teatree oil is also a good disinfectant.
Do the same with Shampoo - as a sweet smelling shampoo attracts them too.
In general women are more prone to bug bites - different pheromones!!We smell sweeter to them, as the testosteron from guys. And the bodyhairs keeps them away from arms and legs (makes them impossible to find a place to land and bite, they get entangled). So the waxing job gives them more room to land!
Using DEET only when in areas with Malaria or Dengue.

BOUNCE

bajaguy - 10-8-2006 at 09:34 AM

I also have had some success with Bounce fabric softener sheets......put in bed and hung around bedroom, worn inside/outside of hats and in shirt pockets.