BajaNomad

Cilantro lime butter roasted corn

pierguy - 10-8-2006 at 01:41 PM

-- Warmed and soften unsalted butter stick--salted okay too
-- chopped cilantro leafy part
-- lime zest
-- lime juices (1-2), depends on how many corns
-- HD aluminum foil

+ Mix all the food ingredients above into a bowl (messy--yes!)

+ Grab a handful of the mixture and smear on the corn and wrap the corn into the foil and seal tight OR spread the mix on the foil and place the corn on foil and wrap.

+ Toss the corn into a BBQ grill or oven, cook as normal.

+ Carefully open the foil, it's hot and enjoy.

The corn comes out nice and hot and very moist and juicy (just don't overcook or burn them).

Diver - 10-8-2006 at 02:31 PM

You got me thinking; and drooling.

We like to open the corn husks and dip the corn into the melted butter.
Then close the husks and secure with a twist-tie.
Then throw them on the grill or campfire.
I bet this would work great with your recipe.

chino - 10-8-2006 at 04:19 PM

Sounds like one to serve with one of the many albondigas soups!, Thanks

Oso - 10-8-2006 at 09:04 PM

Great timing! Just did some carne asada and elotes with your recipe. Came out great!

AmoPescar - 10-8-2006 at 11:48 PM

Boy that sounds REALLY GOOD!!!

I'm going to give it a try real soon. Im already imagining the butter dripping all over my fingers.

Amo :D

shari - 10-9-2006 at 09:41 AM

Here everyone puts mayo and powdered cheese and lime on their elotes, corn on the cob...sounds weird but is actually delicious. My husband Juan asked for the mayo when we were visiting the corn belt in Canda this summer and everyone looked at him like he had a third eye!! Nobody would try it but trust me...it's yummy

Hook - 10-24-2006 at 03:09 PM

We tried this a couple nights ago. Decided to add some cayenne pepper to the mix as well. VERY GOOD, but it seems like the white corn crop has peaked this year. The corn wasnt very flavorful.

Prolly shouda bought it at South Coast Farms, I guess.........:(

toneart - 10-24-2006 at 05:28 PM

What is "lime Zest"?

Diver - 10-24-2006 at 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by toneart
What is "lime Zest"?

Grated bits of the lime peel. (Grated on the outside).

AmoPescar - 10-25-2006 at 01:41 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Diver
Quote:
Originally posted by toneart
What is "lime Zest"?

Grated bits of the lime peel. (Grated on the outside).

The BEST way to get LIME ZEST is to buy yourself a "Micro Plane Grater." They give you a very fine zest which works well in recipes. But in a pinch, a regular fine grater will also work okay.

Michael :saint:

Oso - 10-27-2006 at 07:08 PM

All true, but tender Silver Queen and most high-yield American high-tech hybrid corn varieties make lousy tortillas. That's why Mexican farmers reject these "advances". In Mexico, the poor have survived on the basic corn tortilla as the number one primary staple for centuries. Hard to change that.

Help!!!

bajaguy - 10-28-2006 at 08:36 AM

What oven temp, and for how long???

Mexitron - 10-28-2006 at 09:54 AM

On our mainland Mex surf trip years ago we survived on the jelote(maize) being sold on the roadside carts--it was BBQed while, we guess, being basted in lard...man was it good. And like Don Jorge said--its a different kind of corn down there--more like hominy--but we felt it was a perfect flavor match for how they were cooking it. No foil either, to let it carbonize a bit.

I've occasionally seen that variety of corn growing in barrio backyards, gets very tall--maybe 15 feet plus. Don Jorge--do you know where to get some of those seeds? I'm in Texas now and we've got a spot for some and the heat in summer to let it thrive.

Oso - 10-28-2006 at 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajaguy
What oven temp, and for how long???

Probably doesn't matter a great deal; lower=longer, higher=shorter. I'd say anywhere from 350 to 425, 1/2 hr to hr, depending on variety. I use a covered grill for most stuff and put the corn on the side off the direct flame. Have left it from an hr to 3 or 4 when smoking pork shoulders slow. Haven't burned it yet. In the house, if the smoke alarm goes off, it's probably done.:tumble:

bajaguy - 10-28-2006 at 10:31 AM

Thanks, Oso....I'll have to replace my smoke alarm batteries first

pargo - 10-29-2006 at 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by shari
Here everyone puts mayo and powdered cheese and lime on their elotes, corn on the cob...sounds weird but is actually delicious. My husband Juan asked for the mayo when we were visiting the corn belt in Canda this summer and everyone looked at him like he had a third eye!! Nobody would try it but trust me...it's yummy

In east L.A. theres a little old man with a small cart who sells nothing but corn whipped up with mayo and cheese etc... I must say it is one the most delicious things on god's earth. This man has such a big line of customers, it's ridiculous. For those of you who haven't had this recipe, do yourself a favor and find it...you'll understand then. Cheesus cries methinks I'll go get a cup ahorita mismo!! al rato!:yes: