BajaNomad

¿Sabés vos?

Bajamatic - 10-10-2006 at 10:42 AM

VOS is common in argentina. "Che, Vos". More or less replaces Tu, but literally means a more familiar form of tu. Argentines do not use vosotros - only vos. Kind of like "Bro" or "Dude". The maxicans in baja double take big time if you toss out a "vos". Spaniards only use the vosotros conjugation, which is a plural form of Tu, and do not use "Vos".

Bajamatic - 10-10-2006 at 10:43 AM

also, it would be "Vos Sabes?", not "sabes vos?" "Sabes Vos" would mean, do you know yourself? Te Sabes Vos?

pargo - 10-10-2006 at 10:54 AM

The salvadorans use vos at the end of just about every sentence

Bajamatic - 10-10-2006 at 10:57 AM

Come to think of it, i think you would get away with saying sabes vos, because of what pargo says, but technically speaking I think its gramatically incorrect. After living in argentina I always argued my way out of gammer mistakes in spanish class by claiming colloquial differences....

Bajamatic - 10-10-2006 at 10:59 AM

I could be wrong larry....

pargo - 10-10-2006 at 12:46 PM

When I hear salvadorans use it , it comes out with a b sound for for the v. I always thought it was used in a "slangy" kinda way as you say Bmatic: What 's up dude, hey bro'
Kinda like when mexicans say "que honda Guey?"
(Guey or Buey is a castrated bull).

Bajamatic - 10-10-2006 at 01:56 PM

I think I'm wrong larry. you had it right.

Vos

catwoman888 - 10-20-2006 at 01:31 PM

Can someone explain how "vos" really is used? I have learnt Castillano (Spanish Spanish) only and that is unknown to me. What's the difference with Vosotros??

Also, I suppose if Salvadorians used "b" instead of "v" it is because they have kept a more Castillan pronounciation.
All the Vs in Spain are "Bs"...

Paula - 10-21-2006 at 08:08 AM

My Cuban friend who teaches Spanish to Americans says that b and v are the same, but differ according to their position in a word. An initial b or v is pronounced like a hard American b, and depending on proceeding or following vowels, may be softer mid-word. I can't remember all the details, and it is way too tongue-twisting to use her formula.
So I stick with my high school teacher's advice from a long time ago. We learned Castillian and used vosotros in cojugation. She was Veeeerrrry particular about pronunciation, and drilled her classes daily. In English, the b sound is made by closing the lips tightly and "exploding air through as they open. V is sounded by touching the upper teeth to the lower lip and aspirating throught them. The Spanish and Latin American sound for both is made by closing the lips lightly and aspirating through, giving a sound half way between the two letters. Some things in life you just don't forget, and I can give detailed instructions on the letters t, s, d, j, vowels, and more. But good pronunciation combined with fair to middling comprehension can lead to some pretty odd conversations!
:wow::dudette:

bajajudy - 10-21-2006 at 01:56 PM

Thanks Pargo
I just read "Hat Dance" and buey kept popping up. I had the feeling that it was quey they were saying.