BajaNomad

Driving in Baja

anmdivers - 10-10-2006 at 12:18 PM

I keep seeing all this stuff about the bad guys when driving in Baja,
I use to always drive down with just a friend to go for a weekend & no prob, that was just 5 years a go, but now.
Is it realy that bad there???
My husband our 2 girls (dog's) & I drove all the way from Calif to Honduras 3 years a go with no prob, so would you say it is not safe to drive back?

Cypress - 10-10-2006 at 12:22 PM

It's safe.:)

anmdivers - 10-10-2006 at 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Cypress
It's safe.:)

that is what I thought, I mean we aways have our eyes open,I just not see it being that bad there

shari - 10-10-2006 at 12:30 PM

Well, it's safe until you run into the bad guys...be aware...be alert....use the recommendations made on this board about driving. Take my word for it and I'm NOT an alarmist and I drive all the time in baja (I live here) bt it's important to know that crap can and does happen (as everywhere)...but as I said I still feel safer here than in the states.

Bruce R Leech - 10-10-2006 at 12:30 PM

just use your head and be careful just like you would anywhere else. it is still better than most of the USA. we are just nerves because we are not used to hearing about it in our safe Baja.

Bob H - 10-10-2006 at 12:46 PM

Example: When have you ever heard of someone going in to a small school and killing some of the children in Baja? How many times has this happened in the U.S.A.?
Bring your family down, be aware of your surroundings, don't drive at night and have a great time!
Please post a trip report when you get back.
Bob H

Skipjack Joe - 10-11-2006 at 05:08 PM

Driving through baja is a piece of cake compared to Chiapas, Guatemala, and El Salvador. For one thing the highway is in much better condition. Most people understand english or know someone that does. Help is everywhere.

With the experience you have accumulated driving down to Honduras I say you should have no problems in baja.

Baja is Mexico Lite. I have run across seasoned Mexico travelers who don't even consider baja to be Mexico. But that's a different topic.

Cincodemayo - 10-11-2006 at 05:57 PM

Just try to drive in Mexico City...organized chaos to say the least.

Capt. George - 10-11-2006 at 06:15 PM

watch out for the cattle! especially if driving at dusk, they blend right into the road...trust me, I know firstr hand.....

bad guy? drive around the South Bronx, dats bad guys...

Drive safe, drive in daylight..no problem

QuePasaBaja - 10-11-2006 at 11:14 PM

Driving at night is not an issue, as long as you know where you are going, and stick the the main driving throughfares.

Baja is as safe as New York.

Do something stupid, and some one will take advantage of the situation.

Make sure you have enough gas.
carry a tire inflate can incase of a flat.
Have a cell phone with you that works in baja
have a working flashlight in the car
And a can of mace or a stungun never hurt. :)

anmdivers - 10-12-2006 at 07:21 AM

Thanks for all your info guys:)

Capt. George - 10-12-2006 at 07:23 AM

you can bring your stun gun into your cell!

g