BajaNomad

AMIGOS de BAJA

Capt. George - 12-16-2003 at 10:14 AM

Oh, for the good old days of the amigos board.....less and less of the good stuff, more and more of the political crap!

Thanks to all those that were involved with introducing Deborah and I to Baja.

Adios, not enough room in my life for all this political hum-drum........

Capt. George

surfer jim - 12-16-2003 at 10:36 AM

You got that right....

Some people get their jollies

Nikon - 12-16-2003 at 10:48 AM

arguing over anything. Politics happens to be the most popular subject, that's all. Religion probably would be, I suspect, if the average person knew more about it (a failing that somehow doesn't stop them from discussing politics). At any rate, it's becoming commonplace to make a fare thee well pronouncement here, after which a bunch of people plead not to go, that you're the smartest, and most interesting poster on the board and they simply couldn't go on without you. So you "come back", and everything proceeds as before.Plus ca change...

Anonymous - 12-16-2003 at 11:08 AM

Go if you must, but I don't understand what the problem is. It is so simple to stay away from the topics that you have no interest in---especially the ones that you know will pee you off. Just don't go there! I refuse to click on the Political, etc. topics. They're as windy as a sack full of farts! Another thing, while I'm mouthing off; why do some posters think it necessary to announce their intentions to leave the board never to return. Just quietly disappear, please! What's with the drama? P.S...Tell me you won't be lurking! Yeah, right!..."El Mochilero"

Packoderm - 12-16-2003 at 11:38 AM

I think we all need to learn how to not let things bother us so strongly. I don?t see how the political stuff on the Non-Topic board affects what happens on the many different Baja sub-boards. There is a reason that people like to discuss matters of gravitas on a board such as Nomad?s as opposed to a purely political site. Baja aficionados tend to be people of common sense instead of those at the hard-core political sites that seem to attract people with very extreme views. Also, I have witness some people here actually improve thier discussion abilities right here on this board, myself included.

Like I said many times, we could benefit from a feature that would allow us to block posts from particular posters, and a feature that could prevent selected sub-categories from appearing on the ?Today?s Posts? option.

Nomad?s is kind of a surrogate Baja campfire that allows me to keep my Baja mentality and spirit alive. Would you raise your hand up while at a campfire in Baja and declare that you will not tolerate any non-Baja conversation?

In my construction business, I have had many different crews working for me. You can tell a lot about the people in the crew in what they discuss during lunch breaks. Some crews talked about the more abstract subjects such as politics. Other crew?s conversation rarely strayed from getting loaded and screwing women. Try to guess which of the crews were more punctual, productive, and innovative. There are good people here at Nomad?s. Let them have their fun. It isn?t really hurting anything; is it?

I have yet to peak at, for instance, the ?Baja Backpacking and Hiking? board here at Nomad?s. If I were to do this, I might find something to raise my hackles, and it might even be the dominant subject on this site, but it would be feeble for me to seek such things to complain about, so I simple do not load this page up. This has not been a hard thing for me to do. Maybe it would be easier for me to not thoroughly read and analyze the information in the backpacking section and just bellyache about it anyway. But then again, I?m an easy-going kind of guy.

Bob H - 12-16-2003 at 12:47 PM

Packoderm.... RIGHT ON!! :spingrin:
Bob H

Hum Drum

hyme7of9 - 12-16-2003 at 02:49 PM

Adios.Hyme

Bajaboy - 12-16-2003 at 04:29 PM

Counting the days until the 20th when I take off for 14 days in Baja. And as such, I find myself scouring the boards more than I normally do.

One thing I've noticed over the past couple of years is the "us" vs. "them" mentality. It used to be that people would go to the boards to post about, learn about, or just dream about Baja. Nowadays, though, seems as if many are just waiting to "spout off" about those "left-wing" radicals or whatever.

I've posted here a few times recently and have been amazed with the politics that enter the thread. I have not once mentioned anything political.

I've said it before and I'm going to recommend it again. Let's keep the politics to the political boards. I really could care less how you feel about the war, environmental laws, or that you've lived some place before so you know more than the rest of us. We're a diverse group with diverse opinions. Let's talk Baja and keep to something we have in common.

Expect a trip report in three weeks or so.

Zac

Zac, you dog...14 days.

Mike Humfreville - 12-16-2003 at 04:49 PM

Maybe if we want to ignore the political stuff, of which there is a growing abundance on bajanomad, we just open the "General Discussion Center." Lately I've opened "Today's Posts." That means I get EVERYTHING. I'm going to try and open only the "General Discussion Center" and use that for a while. If I get bored I can go back to the today deal but then I have only myself to blame.

Cap't George - problem with leaving is that there is no close replacement for nomad. Maybe we should stick around and make things work for all of us? Just a thought. Take care amigo.

David K - 12-16-2003 at 07:37 PM

George and Skeet... Don't let 'them' chase you away. Just don't open any post on the NON-BAJA board. Mike H., you can still use the 'Today's Posts' feature to see what new things were posted... just don't click on the NON-BAJA new posts. All the seperate boards here on Nomad are for Baja or Baja Nomad/Amigo items of interest, except that one board. I think Doug (Baja Nomad himself) calls it the kitty litter box... What goes in a kitty litter box? RIGHT!

[Edited on 12-17-2003 by David K]

Seven Baja related threads out of seventeen aint too great either!

Anonymous - 12-16-2003 at 08:01 PM

Re: Who Are You?

Re: This Place Ain't So Dark!

Re: It's great that the King buttcrack has been captured...

Re: Dale Ebberts' new Class 1

Re: Howard-Dean-Sucks.com

Re: Iraqui jets

Re: Muy Malo!! Lurking at Nomads....

Re: Baja.net Get together 12/27?

Re: Show us Mike!!

Re: Cap-I-Tan!

The Sate of th Democrats

Re: "Global Warming"

Re: Baja Superman Checks In!

Re: Ho Ho Ho

Re: Weird garlic??????

Re: Tellier and BFGoodrich Award

Wanted: Trailer for Baja Bug

Anonymous - 12-16-2003 at 08:05 PM

DK, problem is, the stuff they're tallkin' about 'aint limited to the political board - there's pleny of nonsense right on the general discussion board. This is now a politcal board, not about Baja. Check the new posts, and you'll see the overwhelming majority include political content.

Anonymous - 12-16-2003 at 08:13 PM

So what is the best Baja website? According to some people?s criteria, it would have to be Baja.com! All Baja/All the time. Well, All Baja/every few weeks that is. That is how often people post there.

The political content in todays posts on Baja Nomad - The horror,,,the horror

Anonymous - 12-16-2003 at 08:25 PM

AMIGOS de BAJA

GPS

Advice about tourist permits/fishing permits/mulege

PHOTOS! Gonzaga Bay and El Camino Real Hike

Need some advice from the guys and galls in the know about Toyotas

Bibliophiles Baja

Pam

A cartel's power play

Ensenada Vet recommendation / change of information

Puertocitos to Gonzaga bay

Do you think we'll have a problem... (finding a campsite in SF)

Jessica Lynch capture Iraq dictator-Greg Palast

Loreto questions

Skeet's deleted posts

Dawn Marie Wilson Appeal

the road to BOLA

Cap't. Mike's return

more yellows for the grill

A view from Carmen

passport vs visa

Tin Boat Wanted

Truck Shell Snugtop

My first "real" Baja vacation: First impressions (Pages: 1 2 )

AP story about woman jailed for carrying prescription drugs (long)

Rogue Wave takes another

San Felipe hotel recomendations?

Anyone recommend audio lessons?

to Anon re: halliburton (Pages: 1 2 3 )

Where is that old Baja road, you ask?

Anonymous Opinions are worthless

capn.sharky - 12-16-2003 at 08:39 PM

Your opinions could (maybe) have some weight if we knew who you are. Anonymous opinions really don't carry much weight. If you can't put your name to something---it is probably because you can't back it up. Viva Baja.:moon:

It was me.

Packoderm - 12-16-2003 at 08:44 PM

I don't do that sort of thing too often. Sorry. However, there is really nothing to back up. I'm copying and pasting directly from the boards. The proof is in the pudding. I didn't want the folks at .net peeed off at me. At least I don't have an avitar for them to put an X over. Again, I'm sorry for hiding behind an Anon.

By the way, Mr. Anonymous

capn.sharky - 12-16-2003 at 08:44 PM

I think the photo's Mike puts on this board are excellant and we are lucky that he takes the time to do it. Where do you find anything political about pictures of Baja? I also appreciate information that saves me money like the post about the AeroCalifornia discount tickets being sold. I bought two today. If saving money is polictical, then I say, Viva Elections.:moon::moon::moon:

Packoderm - 12-16-2003 at 08:47 PM

You bought tickets from which post? Iraqui jets?

Or are you referring to information found from Nomad's? If so, I'm off base.

[Edited on 11/21/2003 by Packoderm]

Iraqi Jets--No thanks

capn.sharky - 12-16-2003 at 10:02 PM

AeroCal Discounts.....50% off. I am not flaming anyone, just trying to say that some posts can get political, but we shouldn't cause posters to become afraid to post anything. There is a lot of good stuff on this net. We can forget Amigos de Baja---they be gone and I don't think they be coming back. I look forward to each day to check here on information about Baja. There is another site I look at, but its a little rough (albiet funny) and more tuned into the Baja Racing boys. I'm staying right here and not leaving---thats my story and I'm sticking to it.

Packoderm - 12-16-2003 at 10:09 PM

Capn.sharky, if you don't mind my asking, what is the itinerary and total price of your tickets. I would like to buy a single seat round-trip ticket from L.A. to Loreto.

Tickets Aerocalif

capn.sharky - 12-17-2003 at 09:52 AM

Around $220 round trip without the Visa charge. Today is last day so need to order today. Tickets are good until 12-15-04 and are open. I have bought these before on other sales and they work great. You still need to let them know a couple of week ahead and send in your old tickets so they can return your new ones with the date on them. These are the planes that have the left wing and a right wing (oops--sorry I read your Vow post and couldn't resist).

LaTijereta - 12-17-2003 at 10:26 AM

Got our tickets for next year $210 RT w/ proof of FM-3. They are looking at $230 RT wo an FM-3:spingrin: The "open dates" work great, and I even have a ticket left over from this year. They are going to let me use it as credit against travel in 2004:tumble:

Natalie Ann - 12-17-2003 at 10:36 AM

Sharkey - ROFL - couple a times!:lol:

Just bought several AeroCa tix; LA-LaPaz for $237. I am really looking forward to the new year!