BajaNomad

Free phone calls to countries other than the USA

bajalou - 10-12-2006 at 05:58 PM

A couple or three years ago, Bruce Leach told the nomads about Skype and many of us have been forever grateful for the info.

Since I get a bunch of tech articles every day once in a while I find one that seems to be good

Make free (no charge) calls to forign countries from the US

http://pogue.blogs.nytimes.com/2006/10/09/09pogues-posts-4/

This is the asrticle that tells about it.

I tried it, using Gizmo (similar to Skype) to call the US number and had it call my Mexico phone and sure enough - 4-5 seconds later my phone rang.

Since it's a US number, Skype or Gizmo can get you there from Baja for 1 or 2 cents a minute for the call.

:saint: :light: :saint: :biggrin:

conquestkm - 10-13-2006 at 05:40 PM

It works great thanks for the info

Did you see the reply

Hook - 10-14-2006 at 10:05 AM

below the article detailing all the problems with Skype; everything from their software to billing problems? Interesting.........

[Edited on 10-14-2006 by Hook]

bajalou - 10-14-2006 at 10:21 AM

I've been using Skype for a couple years - no problems for me.

Also use Gizmo which gives me a free US phone no people can call that rings on my computer.

But with this new thing, they can callmy Mex telephone (don't think it works to cell phones in Mex as the caller has to pay for the call to a cell phone).

vandenberg - 10-14-2006 at 10:46 AM

Have been using Skype for couple of years and never had a problem. Talk to Europe, Canada, USA, including Alaska, without any trouble. Just an echo once in a while or broken signal. Than wait for a while, try again till signal straitens out. Probably something to do with atmospheric conditions, like my TV signal goes out for 10 to 20 minutes around 1 o'clock pm.:no::no::no: