BajaNomad

Anonymous VS registered names

Anonymous - 12-17-2003 at 11:09 AM

Several posters have been yelling that all anonymous posters should register. Well, I checked the member list to see how registering would make any difference. When I check for information on a poster, the only name that shows up is the alias (phony name, nickname, etc.) About 90% of posters are using them. Therefore the registered folks are just as anonymous as an anonymous. Really, who is Capt. Sharkey, Baja mama, Packederm, 4baja, Baja Blackie, Fishin Rich, Luv2fish, Bajarama, Ski Baja, Capt. George, and on and on and on? They are just aliases on the board. Check it out! Click on the member list and try to get information on the poster. Useless! You won't know anymore about the poster than you know about an anonymous. Correct me if I'm wrong. I really would appreciate it!..."El Mochilero"

jimmy smith - 12-17-2003 at 11:30 AM

You know, Anon, you're right. I find it easy to hide behind a common name: Jimmy Smith

Anonymous - 12-17-2003 at 11:40 AM

Jimmy, I checked your profile too, and it doesn't tell me a thing about who you are, but to me it doesn't matter what any name a poster chooses to use; what matters is what he/she writes. With that in mind I'm gonna have to get my hands on your book. Hope you are doing well after all you've been thru and still dealing with..."El Mochilero"

I've been saying that for a long time.

Stephanie Jackter - 12-17-2003 at 01:08 PM

The only difference between anonymous postings and the pseudonyms used is that you have a reasonable amount of assurance that different posts are being made by the same individual (whoever that is!), when he or she uses a pseudonym. When the poster is anonymous, it could be anyone, known or unknown. But your point is well taken. I can't Google most of the people here and find out anything about them. One can Google me and find out a great deal, especially since I have an uncommon name. Don't know if that's good or bad, but it keeps me feeling honest and real and I like that. - Stephanie

Anonymous - 12-17-2003 at 01:36 PM

Thanks for the offer, Stephanie... but I don't want to "google" you, and I damn sure don't want you to "google" me!!!

Mike Humfreville

Mike Humfreville - 12-17-2003 at 02:27 PM

It doesn't matter to me if a person is registered or not. What does matter to me is that I can identify with a specific writer based on his or her past posts. Once I know who is making the post I can categorize the individual as something I would be likely to read or not to read. I can call up from my memory the collage of everything I have previously discovered about the poster. Knowing what a poster stands for is important to me, just like developing a friendship requires some degree of recognition and commonality between people. If a post is signed Anonymous I don't have that option. Of course El Mochilero, for example, usually if not always signs his posts at the bottom. Another advantage to registering and signing in is the use of the U2U feature (and maybe other features?)

Mike

Anonymous - 12-17-2003 at 04:43 PM

stick to your writing, you need the practice, Lalo

Don Alley - 12-17-2003 at 05:43 PM

Seems to me using your name or a consistent handle is friendlier. And maybe, in the long run, a little more fun.

Don

Anonymous - 12-17-2003 at 05:57 PM

Mike, Stephanie, and Don. Your points are well taken; each makes sense.

Mike, you are correct about me always signing at the end of my post. If you don't see "El Mochilero" then it isn't me. But then again anyone can post anonymously and then add my psuedoname. I hope they don't, and if they do, I will call them on it....El Mochilero"