BajaNomad

baja veteran looking for new surf breaks

oldhippie - 10-22-2006 at 11:53 AM

I've been surfing baja since 1975 and have recently retired from the San Diego rat race. I used to go to Todos Santos/ San Pedrito / Pescadero at least annually and have had my best surfing experience at 9 palms on the East Cape.

But, alas, south of La Paz no longer interests me, too much development for my tastes.

Now that every day is a Saturday for me, I'm thinking about exploring the "horn" west of Guerro Negro from Bahia de Totugas south to Punta Abreojos and also the Laguna San Ignacio area. I have two goals in mind, a right point or reef longboard break and perhaps purchasing/renting a small lot suitable for a permanent trailer/palapa combo.

Mag bay is a possibility, but it's further away.

I have a Ford F-150 2 wheel drive long bed with a light camper shell and fat tires. I've gotten stuck in the sand many times in baja so I 've learned the hard way about driving close to the beach in remote areas.

Help this old hippie soul surfer and his dog Smiley find once more the baja of years past.

Any info about the area will be appreciated.

Peace and tranquility.

Oldhippie

surfer jim - 10-23-2006 at 01:56 PM

I am not familiar with the far southern areas so no help for you there but the ABREOJOS area will have some waves that you will like....only problem is most spots that I know there are for south swells and those are about done for this season....I have never been there in the winter to see what's going on....if you want to explore I would suggest the SISTERS area now....get yourself a AAA ( or other baja) map and look at the area between EL ROSARIO and SANTA ROSALILLITA .... go there and find the waves you seek....:biggrin:

your truck will do fine on the main and beach assess roads for the most part....

BajaGeoff - 10-23-2006 at 02:10 PM

You are in a position of envy Oldhippie!

You could also buy a copy of The Surfers Guide to Baja by Mike Parise, or check out Surfmaps.com. Both provide info about surf spots, getting there and what you will (or wont) find in the surrounding areas.

Catch a good one for me!