BajaNomad

RV Purchase Question

Timbercrete - 10-22-2006 at 07:33 PM

I know there is alot of RVers on this board and was wondering if some of you might be able to give me some insite.
:?::?::?:
I just returned from the Southern California RV show in Pomona. Besided being throughly confused on different models and types, we are wondering how deep can you grind the sales price on new RVs. These dealers state that you can only get the good deals at these shows (sounds like BS to me). Then I have heard individuals say you can get 30% off the MSRP (which has its own BS sound to it). What is the experience you folks have seen? What should I expect and what minimun should I settle for? I have alway done well on car and truck purchases, but everyone says RV purchases are very different.

Thank you in advance for everyone that can offer some guidance.

Will

Hook - 10-22-2006 at 08:56 PM

I hope you're looking at used ones cause there are a ton of them out there since gas/diesel went over 2.00/gallon. A low mileage used RV can be better than new because of all the custom options that people like to do to them.

Cant help you with salemen.........I've only bought them from private parties.

But I dont think there's really THAT many RV owners around here, if you exclude cabovers, pop-ups, tent trailers, etc. I think you'd be better off registering over at this group of forums. They are very active.

http://www.trailerlife.com/cforum/index.cfm

Al G - 10-22-2006 at 09:15 PM

http://www.escapees.com/
http://www.rv.net/
My choice is Winnebago/Ithaca price to value can not , will not be beat. Top of line only though. Just play hard ball. They, like everyone, have a limit. May take a few times to find out what it is.

[Edited on 10-23-2006 by Al G]

Iflyfish - 10-23-2006 at 12:27 AM

We have an 06 24' Winnie View 5cyl diesel, 16/19 mpg. We love our View. I am on a list of 1200 folks either owniing or wanting one. Look for twenty five percent off MLP new and you are probably about right. Also good advice about buying used. Lots of people buy and never use them. Stand your ground. There are lots of dealers around.

Iflyfish

jorgie - 10-23-2006 at 03:41 AM

Just bought a 'used' 33 fter. When I started looking folks told me to look for a unit ex top of line and owned by the original buyers for some years. Seems RVs sit a lot and get 'babied' by owners. This one had been fully broight to 'new' status including drive train etc. For my intended use it is able to do it all and cost me less than an auto.....Hook is right, they are out there and are the best buy but it takes looking and best done direct with owner. Good luck.

Hook - 10-23-2006 at 08:55 AM

When looking used, if a gasser is OK, dont discount the fuel injected Ford models from the mid/late 90s that used the V-10. They are pretty efficient for a gasser and very peppy. You can realize 8-10mpg which doesnt sound like alot but the cost of the RV that gets above 12-13 goes up dramatically. It will often take years to realize the savings in fuel economy, especially with diesel now higher in the states than gas and the increased costs of maintenance on a diesel.

As far as I know, class C RVs still cannot legally tow more than 3500#.

Bajajorge - 10-23-2006 at 11:26 AM

Without a trade in you can knock the price of a new RV down by 20-25% off MSRP with ease. Bought used once. Never again, The 2 year old coach had more hidden problems than Carter had pills. The only thing that saved me was the $1500 extended warranty I bought with it.

chino - 10-23-2006 at 12:59 PM

Warning on the used RV, I bought a camper used from a dealer and some water damage was undetected and undisclosed, next time I will take it to a third party RV mech. to look it over, still kicking myself.

Hook - 10-24-2006 at 10:25 AM

Buying used involves risk. For that matter, buying new involves risk, too. Assembly line blems and other issues that, while covered by warranty, take time to address. Most of those bugs have also been worked out by a previous owner.

One thing keeps me coming back to used vehicles; whether they be boats, cars or RVs. Saving in the neighborhood of 10-20k or more on a purchase or avoiding monthly payments goes a LONG ways towards any repair issues that may crop up on a used vehicle.

Do your due dilligence. Inspect the interior of ALL CABINETS and storage areas for water damage. It is hard to hide water staining. Buy from a private party that keeps all receipts and is clearly anal about maintenance. They are out there and not that rare.

Patience is a worthy trait when shopping for vehicles.

Cypress - 10-24-2006 at 10:48 AM

Hook, Agree with you 100%.:bounce:Folks ought to frame the "sticker price" taped to new vehicles, boats, whatever..:D It's more valuable than most works of art.:lol: New purchase warranties aren't worth the paper they're printed on.:no:

Timbercrete - 10-24-2006 at 11:30 AM

Thank you all for the great information. I feel the same way on buying used as most of you. My better half likes a floor plan on one of the 2007. Thats why we are looking at new. I do believe she will want to go used as she will see the saved $$$. Thanks again.

jorgie - 10-24-2006 at 12:02 PM

the Blue Book is a good guide. Buying "used" under Blue Book value from an owner who has applied a few years of TLC to the RV can be savings for years of RVing. Again, good luck....

bajarich - 10-24-2006 at 12:52 PM

I recently met a couple from Alaska who had one of those new Winebagos that are built on a Dodge Sprinter chasis. I asked them how they liked it and they said that they got 18 mpg. They also said they were very disappointed because for as much as they paid for it, it was made very cheaply inside and they were continually fixing things. They said they thought that because it was a Winnebago, it would have been made better.

Bob H - 10-24-2006 at 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Iflyfish
We have an 06 24' Winnie View 5cyl diesel, 16/19 mpg. Iflyfish

That View does look nice! Mercedes diesel engine. Here are some great photos of this unit.
http://www.winnebagoind.com/products/winnebago/view/

jimgrms - 10-24-2006 at 02:04 PM

does any one make a sprinter just as a camper van ??

Bruce R Leech - 10-24-2006 at 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by jimgrms

here is one Jim
http://www.roadtrek.com/news_detail.asp?ID=47&fromPage=

yep

Bajamatic - 10-24-2006 at 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by jimgrms

sportsmobile.com

[Edited on 10-24-2006 by Bajamatic]

jimgrms - 10-25-2006 at 12:50 PM

thanks Bruce and Bajamatic i will check those out looked at some last year at the rv show in denver and will go back this year , they are proably to rich for my blood , but it is fun to look

Hook - 10-25-2006 at 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Timbercrete
Thank you all for the great information. I feel the same way on buying used as most of you. My better half likes a floor plan on one of the 2007. Thats why we are looking at new. I do believe she will want to go used as she will see the saved $$$. Thanks again.

What floorplan is she in love with? Not too much new, under the sun, in layouts really. Are you guys looking at class C or A, TTs, 5ers or ?

meme - 10-25-2006 at 01:56 PM

Roadtrek will cost youBIG BUcks even used!
If I were you Jim I would take a look online at Craigs List!
We have done lotsa business with people on CL over the past year!
AND it's easier than Ebay!!

jimgrms - 10-25-2006 at 03:19 PM

Thanks meme the road treks are 80000 or so but there some used
sportmobile vans that can be had pretty reasonably less than 20 grand fairly late model less than 50,000 miles i will just keep a eye on the sportsmobile web site . are you still down in san felipe ? i am going to try and get thier for the race jim

Timbercrete - 10-26-2006 at 06:40 AM

Hook,

She really likes a 5er with a rear kitchen. Montana has one with some gadgetry that she found appealing. I do think since we are really unsure of our needs, that we will buy used and try it for a year or two and then settle into and new something.

bajaguy - 10-26-2006 at 07:09 AM

have you thought of renting different types/models for a long weekend....develop your purchase ideas or "dream sheet" from your rental experiences.

[Edited on 10-26-2006 by bajaguy]

wornout - 10-26-2006 at 07:46 AM

Best thing I did before buying our travel trailer was buy a book on buying an RV: I just did a search at the RV Bookstore and they even have them in download digital format. It saved me a ton of money and gave me a great advantage when I went buying. One other thing. if you go to Beaudry anywhere, keep your credit card in your pocket when they ask, it took an hour for me to get mine back.

http://rvbookstore.com/shop/search.aspx?st=buying&submit...

chino - 10-26-2006 at 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajaguy
have you thought of renting different types/models for a long weekend....develop your purchase ideas or "dream sheet" from your rental experiences.

[Edited on 10-26-2006 by bajaguy]

Word!
This would have saved me alot of time and money.
I am now looking at an outfitter camper and plan to drive back to Colorado and put one on my truck for a day or two,
good advice bajaguy!

Hook - 10-26-2006 at 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Timbercrete
Hook,

She really likes a 5er with a rear kitchen. Montana has one with some gadgetry that she found appealing. I do think since we are really unsure of our needs, that we will buy used and try it for a year or two and then settle into and new something.

I have been in many RK 5ers, including the Montana. Yes, it is a nice layout. Aren't slide-outs nice!

But more than anything, an RV with no drivetrain to worry about is an excellent candidate to buy used.

One way of saving money is to look OUTSIDE of California if you are living here. I find much better prices in Nevada and AZ. Search RV traderonline and you can designate price, location, keywords and get pretty dialed in.

Lee - 10-26-2006 at 10:10 AM

If you're considering a Class C, you can't go wrong with a LD. http://www.lazydaze.com/

That's a 30' at their website front page.

I have a '02 26.5' Mid-bath and have never had problems with it. They are made in Monclair, CA (near Ontario).

If you want new, you need to place an order with the options you want. Took 7 months from the time I placed the order to pickup. They are good about repairs and back their product.

There is a large Lazy Daze group that get's together every year. Resale is high for an RV. This RV is also quality made.

They aren't cheap though and think they're staring around $80,000 now and the 30' is more. High end but sometimes you get what you pay for.

:cool:

Iflyfish - 10-26-2006 at 11:56 PM

We purchased our 06 Winnebago View and love it. We spent three weeks in Hells Canyon in temps of 115 towing our 15' boat. We have just spent six weeks in British Columbia on very bad roads, again towing our boat, and it worked like a champ. It is very comfortable for the two of us. We did manage to shake some drawers loose, fixed by putting two latches on each door, and a couple of bezels dropped off of light fixtures after a particularly grueling trip down a bad washboard, but those were simply put back where they belong and we are good to go. I would expect these minor problems from any new motor home driven in very rough conditions. I think the View/Navion are very well made.

As far as engine problems we did encounter a problem with the Turbo Resonator, a muffler for the turbo, and it was replaced under warrenty.

We are planning a two/three month trip down the Baja and over to the mainland starting in mid Dec. I think this unit will be great down there. The only question I have is repairs if needed. I don't know if Mercedes Benz/Dodge Sprinter is in Mexico. If anyone knows this, I would appreciate knowing.

We looked at literally hundreds of RVs. We took our time really thinking about how we would use it and what we needed. I would encourage you to do this. Go to RV shows and sit various configurations and envision yourself in the place you would use it. Take your time. Not all RVs are equal. For instance, water is the nemisis of RV owners. I would never purchase one without it having a solid top that fits over the side walls. The fewer seams, the better.

By the time many people can afford RVs they are older. Many people outfit their RVs to the max. They fantasize about going out on the road, but then their health interferes. One of the partners becomes infirm and can''t be on the road etc. There are lots and lots of excellent used RVs out there. One must take the time and look. Arizona is supposed to be a good place to buy. Lots of folks go to places like Quartzite and don't even want to drive them home. I met a fellow with a million dollar Monarch who upon seeing our rig at a remote lake said he would trade in his Monarch when he got home. He hadn't really thought through his real needs. Many people are trading down to smaller rigs, though the most common trade is to a larger rig.

I have talked with folks who have the late model Ford engines and love them. We decided on the diesel View because of the fuel economy, long life and reliability of a diesel. Again it was something we thought through carefully. We purchased new because we could. An RV can be written off as a second home and our situation allowed us to do just that. In the end the cost will be appreciably less due to the tax write offs for the purchase made over time. Depreciation starts as one leaves the parking lot of the dealer. The View is holding it's price well but one can lose ten thousand the first year on depreciation alone. Buying new can be very expensive.

Take your time, really think about what you really want and how you will actually use it.

Iflyfish