BajaNomad

Coming to America

MrBillM - 10-24-2006 at 09:18 PM

Every time is an experience.

We arrived Northbound at Mexicali's Garita Oriente this afternoon at 1452. Traffic back to the middle of the Bridge. Moving forward, we were behind a clean-looking Jeep Cherokee (Mex Plates) with an average looking Middle-aged couple in the vehicle. Waiting back of the line when they were at the Customs Kiosk, we waited and waited and waited as the Customs agent talked to them, examined their documents, worked at his computer, talked some more with them, got out his "underside inspection mirror" and walked slowly around the vehicle. When he got to the rear, he looked intently at EVERY INCH of the underside, then bent over and started tapping on the gas tank. He then opened up the rear hatch, looked through everything there and went back up to talk with the occupants some more. He then called another agent over, handed the driver an Orange slip and directed him to Secondary. After discussing "whatever" with the second agent, he walked towards Secondary. I pull up, we exchange a few words and he then asks for my Drivers License, usually a sure bet that you're headed for Secondary. After typing away at his console, he turns, hands me my License and says "Have a Good Day".

I was actually disappointed. I was looking forward to seeing what was going on with the Cherokee in Secondary.

Total wait time without the drama would have been about 20 minutes. With the drama, it worked out to almost 40 minutes. I don't understand why he just didn't send them to secondary as soon as he had a doubt. They've sure as Heck sent me there with no apparent reason and found nothing for their efforts.

TMW - 10-25-2006 at 07:21 AM

Last weekend I returned thru Tecate. Both lanes to the border check were open and started on the main drag turn off. two full hours later I pull up to the agent. My drivers license in hand. He takes it and says what's in your cooler, I say beer, american beer. He says have a good day.

rts551 - 10-25-2006 at 10:03 AM

three weeks ago on a friday night at 6:00 I went through Tecate and was the only car in line. Agents were waiting, joking around and just waved me through.

BajaWarrior - 10-25-2006 at 11:00 AM

In the 5 years that the new border in Mexicali has been open going north I have never been to Secondary, except to drive through it when I am pulling my flatbed. Even then, they just give the "nod" and never question me.

I would imagine, if you were caught with something illegal (fireworks, booze, etc..) you would end up on some sort of list and you would get pulling into Secondary for quite a while....

Getting on the list

MrBillM - 10-25-2006 at 01:39 PM

About Twenty years ago, I hit the "Old" Crossing in Mexicali at 1230 a.m. dead tired from working at my place all day. Upon being sent to Secondary, I allowed my irritation to show in a sarcastic manner. Not only did they empty the entire back of my truck and leave it for me to replace, for awhile afterwards whenever I drove that truck, I was routed to Secondary everytime. I learned a lot from that.

As far as the "Garita Oriente", I have been sent to Secondary twice (in two different vehicles) over the last five years for no apparent reason and nothing to hide, consequently nothing found.

On a third occasion, I went to secondary simply because of my place in the line. They were sending everyone in until they filled the secondary completely with cars, then locked the gates and came through with the dogs. A big surprise for me since I had never seen it before and didn't have a clue as to what was happening at first.

The thing that always irritated me was when they'd "Dick" around with you at primary, looking through things and questioning you and then send you to Secondary just as they had planned all along.

TMW - 10-25-2006 at 05:33 PM

About 15 years ago I was coming back thru TJ and when they asked me what I was bringing back I said 2 or 3 tecate beers. They sent me to secondary. When I got there the inspector ask if I knew why I was sent there and I said no. He said I told the agent I had 2 or 3 beers. He told me to always be exact in the number even if I didn't know.

Dave - 10-25-2006 at 07:19 PM

Today, I got the 'Barney' of all 'Barneys'. He was physically directing the two lead cars on EXACTLY where to stop prior to entering the booth and pontificating, to no one in particular, about how this was highly sophisticated machinery and that he wasn't asking people, HE WAS TELLING THEM. I bit my lip to keep from laughing.

I did get in the last word, however. As I was leaving I said,"Thanks deputy."

bajaguy - 10-25-2006 at 07:33 PM

I have never had a problem in crossing since I developed a great plan to "assist" the inspector.

Whatever we buy and/or manage to bring across with us, I write down on a 5" x 7" piece of notepad paper...ie:

2 t-shirts (size XL), $8.95 ea = $17.90
1 silver bracelet, $5.00
1 wooden chair, $12.50...and so on...........

When we get to the booth and the "pleasantries" are exchanged, I get asked if I am bringing anything back. I then hand the inspector the list.....I either get a dumbfounded look and just waived on through or a "thank you" and waived on through. One inspector told me if everyone did that, it would really make his job easier.....

Just a suggestion

[Edited on 10-26-2006 by bajaguy]