BajaNomad

Firefox for a browser

bajalou - 10-25-2006 at 04:42 PM

As a lot of you nomads in Baja do, I have been using Firefox instead of Internet Explorer for quite a while and been pleased with the results.

Just installed the latest version 2.0 today and wow - it has a built in spell checker so no excuse for my poor spelling anymore. I've heard you can add to the database for unusual words.

Just added Puertecitos, now I hope I spelled it right.

:light::saint:

JESSE - 10-25-2006 at 04:59 PM

I use it as well. Its faster and better than Microsoft's Explorer. Thumbs up from me.

Lee - 10-25-2006 at 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by JESSE
I use it as well. Its faster and better than Microsoft's Explorer. Thumbs up from me.

Think I'll check it out. I really like Safari.

Gave up on IE long time ago.

:coolup:

burro bob - 10-26-2006 at 08:16 AM

Lou
My version of Firefox is 1.5.0.7 and when I click on "check for updates" it checks and tells me there are none. What OS are you using? I still have Win98se so possibly the newer versions of Firefox don't support it.
burro bob

fire fox

Geronimo - 10-26-2006 at 08:26 AM

Try http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/products/download.html?product=...

I had to look for it. I also downloaded Thunderbird, Firfox's Email Client. I will give it a try.

bajalou - 10-26-2006 at 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by burro bob
Lou
My version of Firefox is 1.5.0.7 and when I click on "check for updates" it checks and tells me there are none. What OS are you using? I still have Win98se so possibly the newer versions of Firefox don't support it.
burro bob

Right Rob, no updates to 1.5 but if you go to the Firefox Product page it will give you the download for V 2.0.

Easy install over 1.5-- a couple of the extensions aren't supported but overall very good.

Bob and Susan - 10-26-2006 at 10:25 AM

you're fighting the wave....

microsoft is too big.....

i'll bet you had beta when VHS got big too:lol:

bajalou - 10-26-2006 at 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by morgaine7
Count me in among satisfied Firefox users. Bancomer's site doesn't like the popup-block feature, though :no:

Kate

You can set it to allow pop ups from selected sites. Any that require it - and it remembers.

Neal Johns - 10-26-2006 at 02:23 PM

Burro Bob, It is not on the "Check for Updates" yet so their servers would not get inundated with requests. It will be soon.
2.0 works great.

M_Man - 10-29-2006 at 11:46 AM

It's Firefox for me too!

I made the switch a couple of years back...It's faster, more secure too, and when there is a security issue discovered, the folks at Firefox get a fix for it pronto, unlike giant Microsoft, who waits until the next First Tuesday of the Month to issue their patch (if they deem it worth their while!)

Cnet has a head to head review:
http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-10442_7-6656808-1.html?tag=lnav

FARASHA - 10-29-2006 at 12:32 PM

Have both on my Laptop, amazingly - both work side by side. Happy with it.

bajalou - 10-29-2006 at 12:36 PM

I too have both on my computer.

If you use IE, upgrade to the latest version V7. Not as good as Firefox but better than 6.

Russ - 10-29-2006 at 04:22 PM

After loading the upgrade I can't down load any applications in Firefox, Safari or Camino. I tried the preferance folder and set it up again. No better. Then trashed Firefox and down loaded again through, of all things, AOL. And still can't down load apps or upgrades. Any one else having this trouble?

bancoduo - 10-29-2006 at 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Russ
After loading the upgrade I can't down load any applications in Firefox, Safari or Camino. I tried the preferance folder and set it up again. No better. Then trashed Firefox and down loaded again through, of all things, AOL. And still can't down load apps or upgrades. Any one else having this trouble?
I don't download any microsoft upgrades anymore. It seems like I'm downloading a virus. Then I have to go to system restore.:mad:

bajalou - 10-29-2006 at 05:22 PM

My downloads and upgrades went smooth as silk - no problems with either one. I use Firefox for almost everything, rarely use IE

comitan - 10-29-2006 at 05:41 PM

I've been using firefox about 2 weeks I like it, but when I go into one of my banks it won't give me my info, If use IE it works fine.

Russ - 10-29-2006 at 06:11 PM

Normally I wouldn't touch any thing Microsoft :spingrin: But the older version of Firefox worked the best of all the others I played with. I'm a Mac user with windows operating system installed but don't use. Maybe the new Fire fox doesn't like my Mac :rolleyes:

FARASHA - 10-30-2006 at 01:18 AM

Quote:
I don't download any microsoft upgrades anymore. It seems like I'm downloading a virus. Then I have to go to system restore.:mad:

couple days ago I did have the same problem ( not first time!!) Really sucks.
After downloading/installing a requested security update, I couldn't go online anymore. Had to uninstall/ install my NETGEAR to get be able to go online again.
Thought first it's my LT that is playing up, but now I see it's something else giving me a headache.
Had to do a complete new setup of my LT, when it happened first time!!

Firefox - bank info

motoged - 10-30-2006 at 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by comitan
I've been using firefox about 2 weeks I like it, but when I go into one of my banks it won't give me my info, If use IE it works fine.

Yep, When I upgraded to Firefox 2 I needed to "reinform" all my bank stuff that let me access my accounts....one remaining problem is that an old password was reinstated (which I have corrected), but on opening that page, the old password continues to come up....it can be deleted and new one entered and it works, but I can't remove the old password ****'s.

I called the bank and they said it was my internet provider, called the provider and they said it was Firefox....and it looks like $40 to ask Firefox a tech question....small problem, but I like Firefox and have it on comp at home and work.

That's just one of the sine waves of life...

Ged

comitan - 10-30-2006 at 05:14 PM

Motoged

I have mine corrected, Go into tools, otions,security, and the top line warn me of add ons check box on right exceptions, add bank url, it worked for me I guess banks have to out add on in your computer if they can't no access.

Tech Know-how

motoged - 10-30-2006 at 10:51 PM

Comitan,
Now, if I was sitting back in La Paz relaxing and using my time sensibly instead of slaving away up here in BC where the first snow flurries made my rhododendrons shrivle yesterday, I might learn how to do this stuff....or are you down there relaxing because you know how to do this stuff.

Your know-how helps me with my no-how :)

Thanks, I will try your suggestion and hope it doesn't erase the 2 hours of waiting in telephone line with a few banks and applying their convoluted help....

Ged

bajarich - 10-31-2006 at 09:13 AM

I use Firefox and Thunderbird both and have been happy with them. I can't say the same for Comcast, we've had nothing but trouble dropping off and slow connections. We've had their service people up a dozen times in the past 3 months and they haven't helped all that much. The first guy replaced the modem and when that didn't work he blamed our computer which we had all gone through for $270 including a new board to connect to the internet. That still didn't work and our computer tech friends all say it's Comcast's problem. Finally I got one of their service people to tell me that they had a lot of problems in our part of town because we got the old system that was originally put up by ATT. They have improved it, but it still drops off occasionally, but more often it is just really slow, like taking 10 minutes to get into our bank site.

I'll be going to Baja in the last part of January.
When I go to Baja I leave the computer in Salt Lake. Enough with complicating my life, I go to Baja to slow down and relax.

QuePasaBaja - 11-1-2006 at 09:31 PM

Just keep in mind with Firefox. that if you visit sites where you view a lot of images. it will build up a cache, that will show your puter down to a crawl.

So go to start/allprograms/accessories/systemtools/diskcleanup, and run that. Check all the little boxes, and clean it all. I would say to do this at least once a month anyway.