BajaNomad

La Paz hotel during the Mil....

pirate4x4lance - 10-26-2006 at 11:32 AM

Hello everyone, this forum is a great Baja resource! Thanks for letting me be part of the community..

Anyhow, at the last minute we went through with attempting the Baja 1000. We need to find a place to stay in La Paz for 8 people. Sleeping on floors shouldn't be a problem, so if we could find two rooms, that would be plenty. I've used all the hotel sites - expedia.com, travelocity, etc... I can't find any hotels that have vacancy. Am I SOL? I figure even if we don't get reservations, considering there will probably be a lot of people who never make it to La Paz, we will probably be able to find something. But the last thing we will want to do is look for a room after driving for 40 hours straight! So do any of you have any advice as to places that might have something available?

Thanks in advance!
Lance

Natalie Ann - 10-26-2006 at 12:25 PM

Try Hotel Gardenias - safe Mexican hotel a few blocks off the Malecon.

Telephone from the US: 011-612-122-30-88

www.hotelgardenias.com.mx

Suerte.

Las Gardenias

motoged - 10-26-2006 at 12:37 PM

Great place....it is spooky that the four times I have stayed there over a 15 year period, they have always put me in room #51 or 52.

Good room as it overlooks the parking lot....have had vehicle broken into there once....kid climbed through the pop-up vent on van roof and also stole spare tire from underneath.

But I go back every time in town.

Ged

Baja&Back - 10-26-2006 at 03:54 PM

Please DON'T drive 40 hours straight. Half of that will be at night. DON'T drive at night!
40 Hrs x 1/2 x 800 miles = 2 cows hit at night & you never make it to La Paz!!!

There are plenty of Mexican hotels on side streets 3 or 4 blocks back from the beach that Gringos don't generally know about.

You also need to know not to check into a MOTEL - they rent by the hour. Nudge, nudge, wink, wink ...

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

bajalou - 10-26-2006 at 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Baja&Back

You also need to know not to check into a MOTEL - they rent by the hour. Nudge, nudge, wink, wink ...

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

My wife and I have stayed in "Romance Motel"s several times while traveling, with not problems, good rates, clean rooms etc.

TMW - 10-26-2006 at 05:57 PM

Take a sleeping bag and stay in a camp ground.

gardenia is full

TecateRay - 10-27-2006 at 10:42 AM

We've had reservations at the Gardenia for the weekend following the 1000 - made 'em 4 months ago. Some friends were in La Paz last weekend and asked - sorry no rooms race weekend.

There's always a chance there may be some cancellations - but it's just a chance.