BajaNomad

name sake ????

ghosst - 11-5-2006 at 04:22 PM

why is it called baja california when it is in mexico..is this a dumb question and if so will my embarassment go away hehehe:light::saint::?:

bancoduo - 11-5-2006 at 04:27 PM

You must have gone to public school in San diego.:lol:

name sake

ghosst - 11-5-2006 at 04:34 PM

ghosst - 11-5-2006 at 04:35 PM

long way from canada to mexico through the uni etats

Bruce R Leech - 11-5-2006 at 05:09 PM

all of California was Mexico until the Gringos took away the top half:no:

bajarich - 11-5-2006 at 09:46 PM

Before it became part of the U.S., there were two Californias in Mexico. Alta (or upper) California and Baja (lower) California. When Alta California became part of the U.S. the word Alta was dropped, hence California. Baja California kept its name.

fdt - 11-5-2006 at 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by ghosst
why is it called baja california when it is in mexico..is this a dumb question and if so will my embarassment go away hehehe:light::saint::?:

I always wondered why california had a name in spanish if it was in the US, then I went to school
saludos

These are all great stories...

bigzaggin - 11-6-2006 at 12:58 AM

but they're all wrong. Not sure where you guys got all that "Alta" stuff but someone needs a quick history lesson.

Our beloved peninsula was originally known by its Navajo name "Adoo Hadida" (aah-dew hah-a-deeda) or "place of many spirits." It's present name refers to San Diego explorer Jeff Baja who struck out seeking a better fish taco in 1941 and eventually crossed the border south. Not knowing the territory had long since been claimed by Mexico - who were then calling it Anguilita or "little eel" (a reference to its long shape) - Baja claimed the state for America. Though that stake was short-lived, his moniker caught on with locals and, following a heated ballot initiative in 1971, was adopted as the official name.

So now you know.

WOW

fdt - 11-6-2006 at 06:43 AM

I was totaly ignorant about that, but now that you mention it, it does make a lot of sense, thanks a whole bunch :wow:

:wow::wow::wow: