BajaNomad

Panamint Valley Days anyone?

Hook - 11-5-2006 at 05:21 PM

WARNING: THIS IS NOT A BAJA RELATED POST!

Anyone going this year? I have never been but it sounds interesting. Deep pit BBQ with 300 lbs of meat, many runs for all levels of off roading.

Even a visit to Charlie and The Family's last hideout, if you're so inclined.

[Edited on 11-6-2006 by Hook]

Bruce R Leech - 11-5-2006 at 05:26 PM

whare is Panamint Valley Days anyone? is that anywhare near Panamint Valley?:?:

bajalou - 11-5-2006 at 05:37 PM

If I were in the old country, I would probably check it out.

Hook - 11-5-2006 at 05:54 PM

Here's a link, Bruce.

Your guess is a good one......it's in Panamint Valley, west of Death Valley. The camp appears to be at about the 300 foot elevation so daytime highs should be quite pleasant if this high pressure holds. Even if it doesnt, it's an area that doesnt receive much rain.

http://cal4wheel.com/pvd/index.html

DianaT - 11-5-2006 at 06:24 PM

We were just there ---really an interesting area, and quite beautiful in different ways. Thanks for the link, sounds like an interesting time

Here is one view of the valley

Here is another one from Father Crowley's Overlook

If one goes there or home through the Owen's Valley, do stop at the ghost town that didn't die by Owen's "Dry" Lake. There are places with garden art gone mad.

Well, this thread is not about Baja, and I am afraid I am taking it even further away, so I will quit---but the desert is beautiful this time of year. One last picture---
Desert Sunset Through the burned trees in the Mojave Desert Preserve---went there on the way to the Panamint Valley.

In some of that area, one feels like they are in Baja!

Have a Great Time
Diane

Hook - 11-5-2006 at 08:33 PM

Thank you for the interesting and beautiful pics.

PV for me this weekend.

Janice - 11-5-2006 at 09:43 PM

That "garden" has got to be in Keeler. Quirky little place. This is the best time of year to visit Panamint and Death Valley...but the 49er encampment is next weekend, so things could be busy over there.

Summanus - 11-5-2006 at 10:08 PM

We went through there in July..hotter than a snake's azz in a wagon rut....but should be very nice now.

Ken Cooke - 11-5-2006 at 10:33 PM

My friend Mike Hendrick will be there in his "Baja-Proven" YJ Jeep. He is selling it right after the event, and plans to buy an '07 Rubicon w/4 doors.

Mike (on the right):

Pictured with 2 Tomb Raiders!!:

DianaT - 11-6-2006 at 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Janice
That "garden" has got to be in Keeler. Quirky little place. This is the best time of year to visit Panamint and Death Valley...but the 49er encampment is next weekend, so things could be busy over there.

Yes, that is Keeler---took lots of pictures there. This is their RV park right on the edge of what used to be a real lake, until the Los Angeles Department of Power "bought" the water rights and most of the land in the Owens Valley.

It is beautiful this time of the year----not the place to go in July! The weekend looks like fun, but not this year.

Have a great time
Diane

David K - 11-6-2006 at 09:39 AM

Looks very nice... definitely a place to go if they close the border!

Mexitron - 11-6-2006 at 09:43 AM

If you're in Keeler don't hesitate to go up the mountain behind it to Cerro Gordo--another old mining town that is slowly being put back together, then east down the backside into some beautiful desert country--higher elevation than the valley floors so more verdant.

Hook - 11-6-2006 at 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mexitron
If you're in Keeler don't hesitate to go up the mountain behind it to Cerro Gordo--another old mining town that is slowly being put back together, then east down the backside into some beautiful desert country--higher elevation than the valley floors so more verdant.

A few years back, I spent the night on Hunter Mountain before it was included in DVNP. It was a Veteran's Day weekend.

Anyway, we got up the next morning and the thermometer read 11 degrees! Our ice chests outside had frozen solid, as well as our water bottles. We couldnt even get water flowing to make coffee in the morning. Since then, I've always filled the coffee pot with water the night before, if I'm leaving it out.

Cerro Gordo would be nice during the day this time of year. At night....BRRRRRRRRR!!!! Hunter Mtn is about 7500 feet.

DianaT - 11-6-2006 at 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mexitron

A couple of weeks ago, they had a sign on the highway that said one could only visit Cerro Gordo with reservations---there was a phone number???????---so we didn't drive up there/ Also we had just been to Rhyolite by Death Valley, and Leadfield in Titus Canyon, so we just skipped Cerro Gordo.

BTW---a nice drive not too far from there is through Titus Canyon----it is one way from just west of Beaty Nevada and ends us in Death Valley. Great views from Red Pass and the canyon is beautiful

[Edited on 11-6-2006 by jdtrotter]

Hook - 11-6-2006 at 04:16 PM

Nuther link to Panamint Days 2004. Looks like a great get-together. This is pretty well organized and not TOO big.

http://www.ubehebe.com/panamint_valley_days_2004.htm

Janice - 11-8-2006 at 12:08 AM

Quote:

A couple of weeks ago, they had a sign on the highway that said one could only visit Cerro Gordo with reservations---there was a phone number???????---so we didn't drive up there/ Also we had just been to Rhyolite by Death Valley, and Leadfield in Titus Canyon, so we just skipped Cerro Gordo.

The road that goes through the ghost town is public, but the town site itself is on private property. Mike Patterson owns the town, and collects $5 per person for the tour. Really nice guy and the tour is well worth the $. Call first for road conditions and to see if he will be there.

Bob H - 11-8-2006 at 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hook
Anyone going this year? I have never been but it sounds interesting. Deep pit BBQ with 300 lbs of meat, many runs for all levels of off roading.

So, are you going?
Bob H

Panamint Valley, etc.

Qvanbruce - 11-8-2006 at 04:54 PM

If y'all'r out there exploring the Panamints & Cerro Gordo, etc. and have an extry coupla days, you might check out the Saline Valley, another coupla (maybe about 50) miles N. of that area, between the Inyo Mts. & the Last Chance Range.

It, and those who hang out there, have kind of a Baja ambience.

Happy Trails

surfer jim - 11-8-2006 at 05:15 PM

I have some friends going to death valley around christmas....may join them if I am not in BAJA.....

Hook - 11-9-2006 at 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob H
Quote:
Originally posted by Hook

So, are you going?
Bob H

I just now (3:57pm, Thursday) made the decision NOT to go. This was completely caused by the wind advisory and watch issued by the NWS, predicting winds on Friday and Saturday of 40-60 mph with gusts to 75. Probably no fun being in a dry lake bed in those conditions.

Bob H - 11-9-2006 at 06:50 PM

Hook, I think you made a wise decision... that would be a bad time indeed with all that wind. Thanks for the info and the links though. Audrey and I have traveled through Death Vally and camped there a couple of times during winter and it is just fanstatic scenery around there. We'll have to check out more next time.
Bob H

Hook - 11-12-2006 at 10:03 PM

We ended up in Coachwhip Wash in the north part of Borrego. Usually this is a well-protected area for north winds. But on Saturday, they came at us from due West. Some gusts to probably 35 mph but it laid down at night.