BajaNomad

Camping north of Mag Bay

ursidae69 - 11-8-2006 at 07:46 PM

Does anyone have any suggestions for good camping north of Mag Bay? I'm looking at page 43 in the almanac, thinking that it would be nice to kayak on the protected side of Isla Santo Domingo. Any suggestions?

I'm planning my next trip in March 07 and might be staying a couple days in this area.

Thanks all.
Chuck..

chino - 11-8-2006 at 09:48 PM

Chuck. Not sure about that Isla Domingo area, but we have camped and kayaked in the san jorge, santa rosa and buena vista areas, almanac pg 41, we had alot of nice flat water and access to fishing that boats cant access, as Iv'e posted before camp security could be an issue when unattended and the sand a mud can be a thrill, if a guy could get dropped off in these areas you could remote kayak camp and not see anyone for days, I know I'll go back there is alot to see in that area, good luck!

[Edited on 11-9-2006 by chino]

ursidae69 - 11-10-2006 at 08:12 AM

Thanks for the reply Chino. I should have 3-5 trucks with me, and not everyone will be kayaking, so some can watch the vehicles. I've heard that permits are requried to kayak in Mag Bay, I don't want to do that, but I'm curious how far north that permit zone extends? I doubt you need a permit to kayak the areas we are talking about. Thanks for the help. I just some nice remote camping/kayaking for a day or two as I make my way north. :cool:

Quote:
Originally posted by chino
Chuck. Not sure about that Isla Domingo area, but we have camped and kayaked in the san jorge, santa rosa and buena vista areas, almanac pg 41, we had alot of nice flat water and access to fishing that boats cant access, as Iv'e posted before camp security could be an issue when unattended and the sand a mud can be a thrill, if a guy could get dropped off in these areas you could remote kayak camp and not see anyone for days, I know I'll go back there is alot to see in that area, good luck!

[Edited on 11-9-2006 by chino]

capt. mike - 11-10-2006 at 08:31 AM

try lopez mateo, great camping north of town by the cannery next to the air strrip

bajagrouper - 11-10-2006 at 09:11 AM

Hola Capt. Mike, you are correct, Lopez Mateos is a great place to camp, and see/pet whales in March...but no kayaks/personal boating in caving grounds ( MagBay)...

ursidae69 - 11-11-2006 at 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajagrouper
Hola Capt. Mike, you are correct, Lopez Mateos is a great place to camp, and see/pet whales in March...but no kayaks/personal boating in caving grounds ( MagBay)...

I was looking at the Lopez Mateos area too. Are the personal watercraft restricted this far north of Mag Bay??

Summanus - 11-12-2006 at 07:30 AM

We once camped late at night near Lopez Mateo..quite close to the water. In fact, when we woke up the next morning in our little camper we were surrounded by 2-3 inches of rising water. Yikes..we had camped on a tidal flats! The terra firma was solid, thank goodness, and we slowly motored to higher ground to have our coffee and laugh about our camp choice.:rolleyes:

Bob and jane - 11-12-2006 at 08:39 AM

I really like Lopez Mateos but if I were going camping and kayaking I'd head north to page 41. We have camped several times over the last 15 years out of Pozo Grande and really love it there. In recent years there has been a problem with banditos coming in from outside. Fishermen there have had motors stolen off their boats so now they take the motors off and take them home every night! That said, if you have several vehicles and someone will be in camp all the time, you should have no problem. Print out the tide tables for Lopez Mateos and keep them with you. We were just kayaking at the far south end of Magdalena Bay. We would paddle into the mangroves on the incoming tide about an hour or two before it peaked, then paddle out on the outgoing tide. We once stranded ourselves (on purpose) at low tide at Boca Las Animas in our inflatable boat and spent the day beach combing along the Pacific and fishing in the boca. It was great. When the tide came back in, it was easy to get to camp. When the tide is out, the camp sites there are on the edge of mudflats and not even a kayak could float.