BajaNomad

Menaje de casa

backninedan - 12-22-2003 at 01:22 PM

I am in the process of getting my fm-3 and menaje de casa in preparation fo our move to Loreto in Febuary.

On the instruction sheet for the menaje de casa, it suggests getting the services of a customs broker. I am only taking a pick-up load of household goods, plus my motor home. a customs broker seems like over kill for such a small amount.
Any input from those who have done this will be appreciated.

Thx Dan/Oregon/Loreto

Moving

Ski Baja - 12-22-2003 at 02:13 PM

With your FM3 you are entitled to one truckload of goods. Having it also gives you a better chance of falling into their good graces if you want to stretch it a little as far as what you are bringing in.
We always take new things out of their boxes before heading across the border. That's one of the things they are looking for when pulling you over. Your FM3 should solve that too but we don't like to get pulled into secondary because of new stuff.

Bob and Susan - 12-22-2003 at 03:15 PM

Dan

Read this....

http://www.rollybrook.com/

He did a great job documenting his move and has a sample menaje with some spanish translations.

The broker would only be needed for new stuff...then you have to pay the taxes.

Good luck and post your experience when you complete your task.

We are sure lots of people would be interested. :yes::yes:

[Edited on 12-22-2003 by Bob and Susan]

backninedan - 12-22-2003 at 06:18 PM

Thanks for the input, it does sound like a broker is more than I need, and it saves me about 200 bucks.
Getting my fm-3 has been a new experience for me. I dont know if the Portland Oregon consulate is typical or not, but the folks woking there have been just great, they have walked me through each step, making sure I did it right the first time in order to save additional trips.

If I can be of any help to others getting there fm-3s, be happy to share what I have learned.

Cya in Loreto

Dan/Oregon/Loreto