BajaNomad

Feelings on the 1000...

bigzaggin - 11-16-2006 at 02:23 PM

Personally, I have mixed feelings about the race. It seems like an excuse for hundreds of macho gearheads in wraparound shades to tear up Baja roadways, but it is a storied institution that was certainly going on well before my first excusion south.

Just curious, how do those of you who actually live in Baja feel about the race? Do you greet it with dread or excitement? And how do the Mexicans themselves (excepting Coco) feel about it? Does it actually pour a substational amout of cash into Baja?

curious...

BajaWarrior - 11-16-2006 at 02:42 PM

There is not an empty seat at any taco stand up and down Baja right now!

Plus, the motels are full

Even the tire shops will be busy with repairs.

capt. mike - 11-16-2006 at 02:59 PM

a trophy truck team may spend as much as a month pre race in running, logistics, pit set up, etc - maybe 15-30 staff all who need food and a bed. this from one with whom i am very familiar - he may spend $30,000 and more on the 1000 not including the actual running of the race and his truck. and he'll have maybe half a dozen support rigs, trailers and pre runners down there using gas etc. = so basically that's one TT team and there are what, 33 TT teams, then there are 450 some entries all classes dumping $$$$ into the mex economy. the mexican nationals love it and party/line the course. if it wasn't a good deal for all they'd can it, the gov't. IMHO.

sure, there's trash left and the course is scarred but they use the same route more or less each year for either the la paz shot or the enenada loop.

a huge sport with a growing following. have to juggle the good and bad i guess. humans need diversions. wish i was there this year, maybe next time.

Don Alley - 11-16-2006 at 03:49 PM

I'm not a fan of all that goofy stuff people do with infernal combustion engines but it brings a little excitement, a lot of money and when it's all done, it's done without screwing anything up. I don't think I'll see the race but I've enjoyed seeing the race cars in town and out on the road pre-racing.

As for the Mexicans, they love this stuff. Rody Amaya is a local (Ciudad Constitution) BCS hero and state senator famous for a past Baja 1000 victory. There are tons of Mexican offroad race enthusiasts.

Lots of race folks have been in the hotels and resaurants. Ca-Ching!

Paula - 11-16-2006 at 04:41 PM

... maybe a little damage to some roads. I love the back way from Rancho Viejo to Comundu, but one little stretch is so life threatening I'm afraid to drive it again (actually Don drove it, I just enjoyed the view and gave encouragement as we edged through a narrow bouder-y hump on the edge of a very high cliff while expecting to plunge to our deaths). People have said that the racers caused that mess.

I think most people see a sedom driven piece of road as a worthwhile sacrifice for the pleasures and profits of the race. Not wanting to be a crabby old troglodite, I'll defer to them:saint:

The Race Today

MrBillM - 11-16-2006 at 05:52 PM

For the first time in many, many years I drove out to the course today along with some neighbors from Percebu and other Campos, setting up camp next to the old Puertecitos road across from the Sulphur mine. There were hundreds of vehicles already out in that area and there were as many Mexican plates as there were U.S. For the most part, all had a good time and there were only a very few A-Hs in the crowd.

I, too, have some mixed emotions regarding the race, but overall, I think it provides an economic plus to a lot of Mexicans in Baja and the majority of the ecological damage comes from the spectators and the trash they leave behind rather than any real damage from the racers themselves.

Hook - 11-16-2006 at 06:06 PM

Seems like with all that money being pumped into the economy, some of it could be used for trash pickup. But that would be something the government would have to handle and, well............:rolleyes:

The harm to the environment from the racing cant be that bad.

Dave - 11-16-2006 at 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bigzaggin
how do those of you who actually live in Baja feel about the race?

As long as I can't hear it or eat dust I could care less. However, if it ever, even minutely affected my quality of life I would spend every waking moment trying to figure out how to sabotage it. ;)

Sharksbaja - 11-16-2006 at 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave
Quote:
how do those of you who actually live in Baja feel about the race?

As long as I can't hear it or eat dust I could care less. However, if it ever, even minutely affected my quality of life I would spend every waking moment trying to figure out how to sabotage it. ;)

That's hilarious Dave, coming from a resident of Rosarito:lol::lol::lol:

surfer jim - 11-16-2006 at 11:34 PM

Agree with sharks....:yes:

bajalou - 11-17-2006 at 08:17 AM

Like many Baja residents, feel it adds to the quality of my life.

Race Aftermath

MrBillM - 11-17-2006 at 10:23 AM

Anyone hear any details about the Post-Race Watch crash on Hwy 5 at KM49 ? Late yesterday afternoon, there was a lot of people calling for help. An ambulance and Dr. Lopez were headed south to the site and they were saying at least one person was dead.

5 injured

sylens - 11-17-2006 at 11:26 AM

is what's reported to date.

two youngsters run over by a car driven by 18 year-old mexican who lost control. one is in critical condition.

a mom and nine year-old daughter hit and wounded (not gravely).

the fifth was a man hit on the head by a pipe that fell off one of the racing vehicles.

have heard nothing about deaths.

bigzaggin - 11-17-2006 at 11:35 AM

Don't know about that crash - hope things are okay - but this was actually really enlightening for me. For some reason I had - wrongly - assumed a lot of locals (ex-pats especially) approached the race like an annual cancer. It's seems that's not true. It's incongruous with my view of ex-pats as fiercly protective isolationists, but obviously the 1000 culture is not in my blood (Personally, jacked suspension, roll cages and circus tires are not my cup of tea. But that's just me - I don't really like Creed or flames and I've never worn sunglasses on the back of my neck).

However, I do disagree that the race doesn't eff-up roads. Many times have I driven portions of the route before and after and it is ALWAYS way worse apres - deep ruts, chunky moguls, etc. And I have the luxury of a solid truck.

Anyway, safe passage to all racers.

mtgoat666 - 11-17-2006 at 06:32 PM

The race seems to provide thrills to knuckleheads and gear heads, but too bad those knuckleheads and gearheads don't clean up after themselves or repair the roads they destroy.

Off roading for the sake of motoring seems to be a pretty dumb way to enjoy the wilderness. I wish knuckleheads and gearheads would confine their noise and destruction to small confined ORV parks instead of spreading their destruction all over the wilderness.

The US banned the long cross country races that used to occur in the US, because they were so destructive. Too bad the gringos all went to Mexico to trash someone elses country. And, no, just because some locals enjoy it or benefit economically does not make it right.

Bob H - 11-17-2006 at 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by capt. mike
a trophy truck team may spend as much as a month pre race in running, logistics, pit set up, etc - maybe 15-30 staff all who need food and a bed. this from one with whom i am very familiar - he may spend $30,000 and more on the 1000 not including the actual running of the race and his truck. and he'll have maybe half a dozen support rigs, trailers and pre runners down there using gas etc.

Corky McMillin, may he rest in peace, was inducted in to the off road motor sports hall of fame in August of this year.... his kids and grand kids continue the McMillin's involvement in the Baja 1000 today. The McMillins will spend 10's of thousands of dollars... even have helocopters chasing their rigs through the course... more here.................
http://www.mcmillinracing.com
Bob H

My 2 cents worth

thebajarunner - 11-18-2006 at 09:20 AM

First off, to blame the race for the idiot kid that runs over people after watching the race is pretty lame.
How many crashes (and riots) occur after soccer games in Mexico? hmmmmm???
Next, in the 12 years that I raced in Baja I saw overwhelming excitement on the part of everyone living there, even the ranchers whose roads we were shredding were out there cheering us on.
Someone said "hundreds of thousands of dollars" go into the local community.
Interesting math, there. If some 200,000+ Gringos go down for the race that means they each spend between $1 and $2 (U.S.) on their visit?!
Try multiplying 200,000 by at least $100 per head, that works out to $20,000,000. If it is closer to $1000 per head, then try $200,000,000.
Chump change- right??? NOT!!!
The instant that the whole thing goes sideways the government will step in and start extorting big bucks from SCORE and the whole thing will die, and I do not expect that to happen in my lifetime.

Final note-
Don't forget what Hemingway said....
"There are only three sports> Mountain climbing, bull fighting and motor racing> everything else is just games."

mtgoat666 - 11-18-2006 at 10:00 AM

Quote:

Don't forget what Hemingway said....
"There are only three sports> Mountain climbing, bull fighting and motor racing> everything else is just games."

Motor racing is sport? Motor racing is nothing more than planting a fat ass in a seat and pressing the accelerator. Requires no more skill than Nintendo or Tiddlywinks. For much of his life Hemingway was a lard ass, and probably couldn't do much more than shoot, fish and drive a car. He certainly couldn't do antything requiring athleticism.

TacoFeliz - 11-18-2006 at 11:08 AM

Quote:

Motor racing is sport? Motor racing is nothing more than planting a fat burro in a seat and pressing the accelerator. Requires no more skill than Nintendo or Tiddlywinks...

Wake up and smell the high octane!

Call it what you want, but it takes major skill, cranks the adrenaline into the red zone and is exciting to participate and watch.

Perhaps you should climb a tree, cut the soles off your shoes and learn to play the flute.

:lol::lol::lol::spingrin::spingrin::spingrin::tumble::tumble::tumble::lol::lol::lol:

thebajarunner - 11-18-2006 at 12:20 PM

TacoFeliz, you are kinder than I.
When I hear those kinds of comments about motor racing I just smile, shake my head and keep on trucking.
If you haven't been there, you should not knock it,
if you have been there, you never go back to stick and ball stuff.

Flute in the tree, sort of has a ring to it...
good advice, for sure!

kellychapman - 11-18-2006 at 12:45 PM

Not a SPORT!! that is the funniest thing (or stupied) I have ever heard. I have never had the pleasure (or the money, and it takes alot) to be involved in the highest adrenaline rush, not to mention the skill it takes to complete this race. At any moment you could be killed, the heat is unbearable, and your head needs to turn almost 360 degrees to know everything that is going on. IT IS A MAJOR SPORT.......pure and simple....
and as far as living in the area the race comes through thrills me because it feeds so many families do to the HUGE AMOUNT of money that it takes to run this RACE......we can pick up the garbage and it is worth doing so........Hurray for the Baja 1000!!!!!!:bounce:

More good advice

thebajarunner - 11-18-2006 at 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Summanus
I am an avid author fan and history buff. One of my favorite Hemingwayisms....."To be a successful father... there's one absolute rule: when you have a kid, don't look at it for the first two years."

From the father of Danny Ainge, the cantankerous NBA star and coach. "The Bible says you have to love your kids, but it doesn't say you have to like them."

backninedan - 11-18-2006 at 01:34 PM

I just finished a run to cd. constitution for groceries and some of the race support people on the road are the biggest a$$holes I have seen in a long time. 90 miles per hour, passing on blind curves, two to three trucks racing bumper to bumper. This wasnt a single occurence, it happened many times in both directions. No doubt about there purpose here, they were loaded down with tires, gas, etc. Im damn glad they are heading home.

mtgoat666 - 11-18-2006 at 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by kellychapman
Not a SPORT!! that is the funniest thing (or stupied) I have ever heard.

Anything you can do well with a beer gut is not a sport. If you think driving a car is a sport, then you think the following are sports: whack-a-mole, golf, fishing and poker. By the way, a running back is a sprotsman, and a defensive lineman is a fat goon; a mountain biker is a sportsman, and a mortorcycle racer is a goon on a bike.

mtgoat666 - 11-18-2006 at 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by backninedan
I just finished a run to cd. constitution for groceries and some of the race support people on the road are the biggest a$$holes I have seen in a long time. 90 miles per hour, passing on blind curves, two to three trucks racing bumper to bumper. This wasnt a single occurence, it happened many times in both directions. No doubt about there purpose here, they were loaded down with tires, gas, etc. Im damn glad they are heading home.

People that think Mexico is a place to behave without rules of polite society deserve the things that ultimately come of such behaviour.

Real sportsmen! The ORV crowd is mostly knucklegraggers.

longlegsinlapaz - 11-18-2006 at 04:18 PM

Quote:
Motor racing is sport? Motor racing is nothing more than planting a fat burro in a seat and pressing the accelerator. Requires no more skill than Nintendo or Tiddlywinks. For much of his life Hemingway was a lard burro, and probably couldn't do much more than shoot, fish and drive a car. He certainly couldn't do antything requiring athleticism.

Goat:

You're words alone tell me that you've never 'planted your fat burro on a dirtbike & opened the throttle' (take off of your comments) and that you have no knowledge or experience of working on an engine to get it to run its optimum (let along in rough desert terrain during daylight & the pitch black of a desert night). IMHO, it sounds like you don't have a competitive bone in your body; each individual racer is competing against several elements, first & foremost....against themselves in that they're stretching their physical & mental endurance beyond anything that I'm guessing you'll ever experience; they do the same with their ride, be it a bike, quad, car or truck. I view the challenges of the race to be: testing your own personal skill & endurance, knowing your vehicle & what level of performance you can put into it & coax out of it; there's the element of competition with your opponents & their vehicles, there's a tremendous element of skill & determination to not let the rough terrains be your most fearsome & harshest opponent. Then, there is the individual satisfaction & pride that you've done your personal best to finish the Baja 1000 at all, let alone in the forefront of your class. The participants run the race for as many diverse & personal reasons as there are racers! They certainly DON'T do it for the prize money!!

But my not being personally involved in the sport (and yes, I do consider it to be a sport!) might possibly make me equally as unqualified to comment on it as you! ;)

thebajarunner - 11-18-2006 at 07:06 PM

Legz, Great Response!!
Methinks the dude got overmedicated, somewhere along the line, to spew all that stuff against that of which he knows not....

Paula - 11-18-2006 at 07:34 PM

Give the goat a break-- he was just stating his opinion, and differing opinions make for interesting nomad conversations, right? Actually, I pretty much agree with him, and might have stated my opinion of motor madness more strongly-- just didn't feel like getting dumped on:lol:

capt. mike - 11-19-2006 at 05:26 AM

hahahahaha..............:barf::barf::barf::barf::lol::lol::lol::lol:
hey, devil goat - you must be A REAL HOOT at parties where people are having fun doing fun things you don't like or understand - but you have a right to rail i guess. what a stick in the mud tho......glad you're not my neighbor in USA or baja!

frankly, me thinks you are one of the most clueless marooonites that i've seen scribble here based on the veracity of your crainial leakage.

but yeah...keep on opinionizing here...it's great entertainment.:rolleyes::yawn:

Corky1 - 11-19-2006 at 08:49 AM

A goat :fire: turning on a spit is enjoyed in many back yards
in Baja!!!

Corky :lol:

Don Alley - 11-19-2006 at 08:50 AM

Paula and I are arguing.:lol:

I agree with Mike. "Cranial Leakage!":lol::lol::lol:

Hey, he dumps on fishermen. How'd WE get in this thread?:lol::lol::lol:

[Edited on 11-19-2006 by Don Alley]

Paula - 11-19-2006 at 08:53 AM

WHY.... WHY CAN'T WE ALL JUST GET ALONG???????

mtgoat666 - 11-19-2006 at 09:38 AM

Now we know that the motor heads are a sensitive lot. Go cry to your mommy if you don't like being labeled low-brow, lard-ass litterers who mistake sitting for sporting.

The Voice of Knowledge and Experience.

MrBillM - 11-19-2006 at 09:51 AM

You have to admit that El Diablo's Cabron is intimately familiar with

........................"low-brow, lard-ass litterers"................................

bajalou - 11-19-2006 at 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by mtgoat666
Now we know that the motor heads are a sensitive lot. Go cry to your mommy if you don't like being labeled low-brow, lard-ass litterers who mistake sitting for sporting.

A definition of sport-

A sport is an activity requiring physical ability, physical fitness or physical skill which usually, but not always, involves competition between two or more people.

If you don't believe off road racing requires all of the above requirements, then you have NO idea what's involved.

mtgoat666 - 11-19-2006 at 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajalou
Quote:

A definition of sport-

A sport is an activity requiring physical ability, physical fitness or physical skill which usually, but not always, involves competition between two or more people.

If you don't believe off road racing requires all of the above requirements, then you have NO idea what's involved.

If a car driver gains 25 lbs of lard around his gut, he can still win. If Lance Armstrong added 25 lbs of donuts around his gut he would have lost. I maintain that car driving does not require physical fitness, and find that your arguement is wrong. Car driving is more about the machines, and less about the skills or fitness of the drivers. Car driving aint sport.

By the way, I speak from the experience of being all-state top 10 in running and skiing, and having driven off-road motorcycles, quads and trucks in the days before I recognized how destructive the activity was to public lands. After seeing what marooons have done to scar large parts of the so cal desert, I no longer want any association with the marooonic motor "sportsmen."

Do you consider Glamis on Thanksgiving weekend a mass meeting of sportsmen?

oxxo - 11-19-2006 at 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajalou

A definition of sport-

Therefore crushing beer cans against your forehead is a sport? Your definition leaves a lot of questions to be answered.

The Baja1000 is irrelevant when people are dieing in Darfur. I wish all those millions of dollars spent on the 1000 were going there.

bajaandy - 11-19-2006 at 10:51 AM

Ahhhhhh.... what lively repartee. Is there nothing better than to excersize the "little grey cells" and debate the age old question of what constitutes a sport and what does not? And how wonderful to do so with such verve and emotion, bereft of any mudslinging, finger pointing or name calling!

Being a died-in-the-wool mountaineer from an early age, I do espouse the elemental necessity of expending some amount of energy to participate in such a sport. (If, indeed one conceeds that mountianeering is a sport.... as I've done my share of "sitting" conducting glisades, belays, etc.)

But I feel I must also share what I can only call the duplicitous nature of involving myself in those banal persuits of the mechanically inclined, namely that of off-road-vehicles, et al. I am one of those who shamelessly admit to the rush of adrenaline achieved by the accomplishment of pushing a mechanical beast to perform in ways not seen as sane by the general public. Does this constitute a sport? I must concur that it does.

And so I find myself the proverbial fence sitter... (hmmmm, involves sitting, so most likely NOT a sport), and therefore find it difficult to provide a convincing argument against anything labeled as 'sport'.

However, I will attempt to use logic to to rebuf the assertions regarding some of the "Cranial Leakage!" that has been spilled in this thread. To whit, the argument that a sport must by it's very nature contain some degree of athleticism, and that anything involving sitting is not a sport. If this is so, then I offer up as evidence in favor of sport that the act of hunting and (admittedly to a lesser degree) fishing must fall in that catagory because they do indeed necessitate some athletic ability to a. get to the place to perform such tasks, and b. correctly and efficiently use the equipage associated with each.

Further, I posit that there are sports in which the participant does indeed sit. As evidence I submit to the public at large any of the acts of an equestrian nature, i.e. horse racing, bronco breaking, barrel racing, steeple chasing, polo playing, etc. Unless I am wholly mistaken, those activities do indeed involve some degree of athletic ability to participate in (if one desires to be of any degree of proficiancy in said activity), and the last time I looked, people SIT on horses.

And by the way, whether anyone calls it a sport or not, the activity of fishing must be at least somewhat popular with certain posters on this thread. Can anyone say TROLL?

And just to get back on topic.... my feelings about the Baja 1000? I love it.

p.s. My appologies to those of you who hunt, fish and ride horses.... only one of which I do with any degree of skill. (And even the fish laugh at me sometimes.)

[Edited on 11-19-2006 by bajaandy]

oxxo - 11-19-2006 at 11:10 AM

Bajaandy, I compliment you for the fine exercise of the English language. I am impressed and a bit (no make that VERY) envious of your grammatical skills. Finally, someone who understands the sport of creative writing!

bajalou - 11-19-2006 at 11:12 AM

Quote:

The Baja1000 is irrelevant when people are dieing in Darfur. I wish all those millions of dollars spent on the 1000 were going there.

The subject of how to spend someone else's money is a different subject and should have it's own thread.

oxxo - 11-19-2006 at 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Summanus

The count is now.....

land trashers - 5
devil goat - 2

The puck in now in off-roaders territory.

:lol::lol::lol:

Land Trashers were off side. We now have a face off at center ice. Gooooo Devil Goats.

bajaandy - 11-19-2006 at 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by oxxo
Bajaandy, I compliment you for the fine exercise of the English language. I am impressed and a bit (no make that VERY) envious of your grammatical skills. Finally, someone who understands the sport of creative writing!

Thank you for the compliment, but I have to admit that I was sitting when I wrote that, so I'm not sure creative writing qualifies as a sport.

Paula - 11-19-2006 at 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by oxxo

Now wait a minute-- creative writing can be practiced while sitting in a chair with countless amounts of lard accumulating around one's midsection while in the very act. So according to Giles (notice clever obscure literary reference and score one for Paula) creative writing can't be a sport as lard and sport do not mix. However by Lou's definition the act of verbal gymnastics qualifies.

I think we need a time-out here!

mtgoat666 - 11-19-2006 at 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajaandythe act of hunting and (admittedly to a lesser degree) fishing must fall in that catagory because they do indeed necessitate some athletic ability to a. get to the place to perform such tasks, and b. correctly and efficiently use the equipage associated with each.

Most hunters and boat fishermen are fueled by alcohol. Most hunters shoot from the cab of their truck, or the comfort of a lawn chair in a blind. Most boat fishermen do their fishing with a ham sandwich and beer only inches from their rod and reel. Sounds like a motor racer would find hunting and fishing to be sporting!

Fishing, hunting, motor racing, play station 3, tiddly winks and poker are games. (hunting and motor racing are in the category of marooonic games)

Soccer and figure skating are sport.

oxxo - 11-19-2006 at 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Paula

(notice clever obscure literary reference and score one for Paula)

Paula scores one for the Devil Goats on a breakaway!

Land Trashers 5
Devil Goats 3

Goooooo Devil Goats!

Quote:

I think we need a time-out here!

Paula, bad move. Youv'e got momentum (Mr. Mo) on your side.

Quote:

Fishing, hunting, motor racing, play station 3, tiddly winks and poker are games. (hunting and motor racing are in the category of marooonic games)

Soccer and figure skating are sport.

Ouch! Number 666, Mountain Goat gets 5 minutes in the penalty box for unsportsman like conduct (sitting down with a beer in your hand while flaming the opposition). Land Trashers have a one man advantage. This is getting exciting!

And another U.S. serviceman just died in Iraq, but that's neither here nor there.

[Edited on 11-19-2006 by oxxo]

Paula - 11-19-2006 at 12:03 PM

Grand Poo Goat is on a roll as the decider of what is and is not sport. (another for Paula-- sly political aside with reference to the unsportsmanlike fellow who sends the young and the brave brave off to die for fuel for motorheads while not having ever participated in the game of war himself).

I challenge the goat to classify the following: Pie and/or hotdog eating contests. Competitive weight management. Rapid turncoating as this poster finds herself less willing to come to his defense by the minute.

oxxo - 11-19-2006 at 12:25 PM

Quote:

another for Paula

Paula tries the old "hide the puck in your knickers" gambit. Sorry Paula, goal is waved off and the referee is asking for a new puck.

The score remains 5 to 3 in favor of the Land Trashers.

Quote:
-- sly political aside with reference to the unsportsmanlike fellow who sends the young and the brave brave off to die for fuel for motorheads while not having ever participated in the game of war himself).

Wow!!!! Paula tries to change the name of the game at center ice. Paula, this new game needs to be switched to a grassy field (the political forum) where I am on your team.

Quote:

this poster finds herself less willing to come to his defense by the minute.

Paula is having angry words with her teammate about his lack of committment. This is getting ugly on the Devil Goat team.

Gooooo Devil Goats!

[Edited on 11-19-2006 by oxxo]

bajaandy - 11-19-2006 at 12:33 PM

I am reminded of this passage from "How I Edited an Agricultural Paper." by Mark Twain

Quote:
Sir, I have been through it from Alpha to Omaha, and I tell you that the less a man knows the bigger noise he makes and the higher the salary he commands. Heaven knows if I had but been ignorant instead of cultivated, and impudent instead of diffident, I could have made a name for myself in this cold, selfish world. I take my leave, sir. Since I have been treated as you have treated me, I am perfectly willing to go. But I have done my duty. I have fulfilled my contract, as far as I was permitted to do it. I said I could make your paper of interest to all classes, and I have. I said I could run your circulation up to twenty thousand copies, and if I had had two more weeks I'd have done it. And I'd have given you the best class of readers that ever an agricultural paper had -- not a farmer in it, nor a solitary individual who could tell a watermelon from a peach-vine to save his life. You are the loser by this rupture, not me, Pie-plant. Adios." I then left.

bajaandy - 11-19-2006 at 12:35 PM

By the way, I still like the Baja 1000.

Paula - 11-19-2006 at 12:49 PM

A most eloquent exit.

Me? I'm just outta here. It's been fun.

And I'm still able to see pros and cons about the race, by the way.

Darfur?

bigzaggin - 11-19-2006 at 01:09 PM

Quote:

The Baja1000 is irrelevant when people are dieing (sic) in Darfur.

Solid logic! I myself have long wondered why the "genocide vs.offroad racing" debate doesn't pop up more often at the UN. Now, if only we could reallocate those funds earmarked for The World Series and The Superbowl and The Stanley Cup and The NCAA Tourney and The U.S.Open and The Masters and The Coney Island Hot-Dog Eating Contes - war and famine would vanish into the ether.

Run for office NOW! "And if elected, I promise to completely eradicate all sporting events and cut a HUGE check for the humanitarian effort in the Sudan. Also, I want people to stop making movies and TV shows and writing books. ENTERTAINMAINT and FRIVOLITY MUST STOP UNTIL WE CAN END ALL FOREIGN CONFLICTS. DEATH TO THE BAJA 1000!"

paid for by the Citizen for Oxxo in '08

bajabound2005 - 11-19-2006 at 02:25 PM

Anyone with any doubts about off-road racing, in particular, the Baja 1000 -- see the movie Dust to Glory. INCREDIBLE. We felt like we'd been IN the race when it was over. Incredibley exciting. A heart pounder that gives you a genuine perspective on what this kind of race means to everyone involved or looking on.

oxxo - 11-19-2006 at 02:51 PM

Quote:

Solid logic! I myself have long wondered why the "genocide vs.offroad racing" debate doesn't pop up more often at the UN.

Bigwaggin of the Trashers delivers a HARD, blindside, body check to Oxxo leading with his big beer belly....and Oxxo is merely a spectator on the sidelines. Oxxo is down and bloodied!

Quote:
Now, if only we could reallocate those funds earmarked for The World Series and The Superbowl and The Stanley Cup and The NCAA Tourney and The U.S.Open and The Masters and The Coney Island Hot-Dog Eating Contes - war and famine would vanish into the ether.

Bigwaggin just poured his beer over the head of Oxxo and what disrespect, it was a Tecate Lite! sponsor of the Baja 1000.

Quote:
Run for office NOW! "And if elected, I promise to completely eradicate all sporting events and cut a HUGE check for the humanitarian effort in the Sudan. Also, I want people to stop making movies and TV shows and writing books. ENTERTAINMAINT and FRIVOLITY MUST STOP UNTIL WE CAN END ALL FOREIGN CONFLICTS. DEATH TO THE BAJA 1000!"

Bigwagon is now sitting on Oxxo with his lardburro...too many days behind the wheel of a dune buggy Bigwaggin?

Let's see if we can get a statement from Bigwaggin. "Screw the people who are dying, murdered and raped - the games (I mean sport) must go on" Thanks Bigwaggin, that about sums it up.

Quote:
paid for by the Citizen for Oxxo in '08

HUH?! Bigwaggin, you want Oxxo to be the captain of your team?

Wait....Paula is walking off the ice! Paula is walking off the ice!

Quote:

Me? I'm just outta here. It's been fun.

Unbelievable!!!!

Lets see if we can get a statement from Oxxo. Let me get the microphone down here on the ice. Bigwaggin can you move your fat buns a little so I can get the mike in there. Oxxo are you okay? What would you like to say?

"Paula........Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeelp! Get this beer guzzling fatarse off of me. I promise never to say bad things about the Land Trashers again"

bigzaggin - 11-19-2006 at 03:24 PM

For the record, I have never once nor will i ever drive a "dune buggy." In fact, a quick reread of my initial post in this thread should give you some idea of my views on gearhead culture. I don't really like Korn, never wore Oakleys and rarely punctuate sentences by exclaiming "...baby!" I mean, I have a Tundra, but that's about as far as I go.

I will admit to loving beer en masse but I do exercize regularly and have (thusfar) maintained a largely lard-free-ass (I'm young yet...there's time). Not that my tushy much matters (unless you have an attractive daughter/sister in the LA area).

Regarding "the people who are dying, murdered and raped," you're right, I harbor zilch sympathy. In fact, I was hoping to orchestrate an ethnic cleansing of my own this year, but work demands made that impossible :(. Anyway, to suggest Darfur, Iraq, Timor, Sri Lanka, etc. are paramount to a sporting event is to profess a complete ignorance of world events. The World Series is like, 100 years old! How long has Darfur been around? MAYBE 5 years? Puh-leeze. Call me when you get some heritage!

Oxxo, you and me, we're not so different. I mean, inexplicable hockey analogies and nonsensical either/ors aside, I bet we're more or less the same. So, in the areas of sport and genocide, let's agree to disagree. And with that hatchet buried I say to you, Viva Baja!

oxxo - 11-19-2006 at 04:17 PM

Quote:
So, in the areas of sport and genocide, let's agree to disagree. And with that hatchet buried I say to you, Viva Baja!

Okay, that's it folks. It's a wrap. The two teams skate off the ice together, arm and arm, singing Kumbaya.

Final score:
Land Trashers: 5
Devil Goats: 3

So this year the Bahja 1000 as a sport is the official winner. This has been a real classic! I'm sure we'll be talking about it for the next two minutes.

There will be a rematch next year, and BABY it should be a barnburner!

This is Oxxo signing off with a special thank you to our sponsors Tecate Lite....que sabor. Remember to drink responsibly, at least 2 cases during every race. And the U.S. Army reserves......Be all that you can be in a Humvee in the Iraq 1000.

Hockey....

Dave - 11-19-2006 at 06:19 PM

Eh, now there's a sport for ya :rolleyes:

Quote:
Now, if only we could reallocate those funds earmarked for... The Stanley Cup

So, that would save like what?

$1.29 Canadian?

capn.sharky - 11-19-2006 at 09:20 PM

Baja Un Mil---I personally could care less about it....but, the Mexicans sure do enjoy it. They buy t-shirts and all sorts of stuff. They collect stickers (calco's) and stick them on their cars. Remember, there isn't a lot of things for them to do living there full time. In the old days, Pemex did not gear up for the 1000 and trying to get home after the race could be a nightmare. Most stations were out of gas. No Hay!!!! Some of these companies spend millions of dollars to participate in the l000. Alot of it ends up in Mexico---so from that standpoint it is good. As for damaging the enviornment, I don't really think it does that much damage and is, I believe, driven over the same trails each year. Anyway, if you can afford to spend from $250,000 to over a million for a race, you probably could care less about the enviornment. The race brings alot of free advertising to the Baja too. These cars make me think of spending a million dollars to buy a yacth to go out and catch skipjack with.

BIGZAGGIN mi amigo

bajabound2005 - 11-19-2006 at 09:21 PM

did your see see the film as already posted on this thread - DUST TO GLORY- guarantee it will change your mind on the racing! Mi Esposo y mi once stood in your shoes with the exact same thoughts. After seeing that move -- no mas! And yes it IS a sport! My heart is still pounding and that's only after seeing the movie!

bajaguy - 11-20-2006 at 11:00 AM

I was rather enjoying this post until I read xoox’s irrelevant and somewhat irreverent comments (to me) posted here on 11-19-2006 at 3:17PM regarding the Army Reserve. Those comments are disrespectful to those of us who have served, and are continuing to serve in our country’s military, as active, reserve or National Guard. My suggestion is if you are not satisfied with the course of national policy, take your frustrations to the ballot box….do not disrespect those who are on the front lines.

Terry Callison
Captain, US Army Reserve (Ret)
"Proud to Serve"

Your are gonna find a bunch---

beercan - 11-20-2006 at 11:34 AM

here on this board that don't care and have no respect for the U.S Military .
Son of a WW2 Pacific 3 island invader
Brother of a Captain U.S. Army Reserve
proud conservative and Voter .

David K - 11-20-2006 at 05:46 PM

Life should be enjoyed without harming other people...

Telling others how to live, spend their money, what a sport is, etc. sounds like Marxism.

I like off road racing, it is a sport... The issue I have is the spectators (mainly locals) who leave all their beer cans, bottles, dirty diapers in the desert instead of hauling it home to the trash can.

We picked up trash around our area at El Crucero, as did the pit teams near us from what I saw.

I enjoy the desert as natural as it can be... humans are part of nature and should not be banned from the land God gave us... But, haul out what you bring in, please!

[Edited on 11-21-2006 by David K]

bajalover71 - 11-20-2006 at 07:57 PM

I camped just off the road about 35 miles south of Ensenada on the Course shortly after the paved road. Needless to say my buddies and i were 4 gringos amongst many locals. It was sad to see, but we witnessed such a lack of respect for the farmers property that allowed everyone to park on for a modest $5 fee. The locals were tearing down the barb wired fence on a consistant basis just to get a few feet closer to the course. How much closer do you need to get? They already had the mob mentality by throwing bottles, cans, chairs at passing vehicles not in the race... As far as getting hit by the race cars, hey......when you stand next to a race course with vehicles traveling at 60-70 mph maybe you deserve to be hit? So...its the racers responsibility? I dont think so... What about common sense?
There was trash everywhere...i didnt see one garbage bag. We packed all our trash as we say here in Santa Cruz. I was embarassed for the locals...no wonder the country side i litered with trash and looks like crap...my impression is that they dont care! i know third world countries have their issues, but when the locals are driving around in escalades and still throwing trash out the window...come on...it needs to start turning around somewhere.

PEACE

Blame the Mexican Government

MrBillM - 11-21-2006 at 09:53 AM

The Government sanctions the race and it has been going on for long enough that they are well aware of the crowd control problem. Since they are the ONLY ones in authority, it is their responsibility to maintain control and address cleanup issues. I wouldn't hold my breath, though, having seen piles of trash from other sources sit next to the highway for years.

While not a definitive scientific analysis of crowd behavior, over the years I attended numerous race events at Riverside International Raceway, and the Off-Road or NASCAR Stock Car attendees tended to be the most rowdy, the Sports Car crowd the least.

The reason the sporty car crowd was not rowdy

thebajarunner - 11-21-2006 at 10:38 AM

Quote:
While not a definitive scientific analysis of crowd behavior, over the years I attended numerous race events at Riverside International Raceway, and the Off-Road or NASCAR Stock Car attendees tended to be the most rowdy, the Sports Car crowd the least.

I too attended many, many races at Riverside.
The reason the sporty car guys were not rowdy is that not very many came to the races.
The NASCAR events, early on, had upwards of 100,000 in attendance, the only SCCA event I attended did not draw flies, and the Rex Mays 300 Indy Car race had a very small turnout.
We ran the first SCORE race there and the place was packed!

(Man, I miss that place!!)

TMW - 11-21-2006 at 02:46 PM

The trash issue at the Baja races is a matter of educating the ignorant people doing it. Only in the last 20 or so years has there been any trash cans outside of gas stations. Governor Rufo had dumpsters put in Ensenada when he was mayor. The trash dump areas are just flat areas where the paper etc flies all around. There are no land fills to bury it. I doubt the school system teaches the kids to pick up their trash and help keep the countryside clean. But they should and there should be regular PSAs running on TV and bill boards etc everywhere to keep the country clean. It's not just Baja either, many people in the U.S. need educating too.

capn.sharky - 11-22-2006 at 09:55 AM

" Blame the Mexican Government" You are talking about 1000 miles. Why blame the government. I agree with the prior posting---take personal responsibility for where you and your family stand. These cars are really moving and have been know to go out of control. We can't keep blaming the government for our own stupidity. Not a flame just a fact.

David K - 11-22-2006 at 11:15 AM

The film clip was emailed to me from a Nomad... It is movie clips with sound showing a Trophy Truck making contact with a sombrero wearing spectator who just had to put his body way out out of the crowd at the Ojos Negros jump...

[Edited on 11-22-2006 by David K]

capt. mike - 11-22-2006 at 11:50 AM

the link asks for a sign in to hotmail?!
what's the deal here, where is the video?

Cypress - 11-22-2006 at 12:10 PM

Never been able to undertand the 4x4 crowd. Call 'em mudders down south. Harmless, but tear the heck out of dirt roads after a rain. Use 4-wheel drive only as a last resort, such as getting to my house.:yes:

David K - 11-22-2006 at 04:43 PM

Quote:
the link asks for a sign in to hotmail?!
what's the deal here, where is the video?

Hi Mike, I thought the url I posted was the film clip... I will be happy to email it to anyone, as I do not know how to post a film clip here...

capt. mike - 11-23-2006 at 06:16 AM

thx DK - not sure exactly what you posted but like i said it takes me to a sign in for hotmail. but yeah i'd like to watch it so email me the text for the site. thx.

Sports Car Crowds

MrBillM - 11-23-2006 at 09:44 AM

It was true that Riverside Raceway didn't exactly fill to the seams whenever SCCA Regional events were held. I enjoyed having plenty of space in the turn 6 grandstands and not having to fight a huge crowd when exiting. The bigger races, including the CanAm series usually drew a full house, though, and the spectators were still better behaved.

bajasammy - 11-23-2006 at 10:01 AM

At the Baja 1000 start in the wash, the crowd kept moving closer and closer to the racers as the day went on. The policia had to play 'sheepdog' and herd the crowd back to their original spot on the hill.

I have to admit to getting a little 'numb' to the speed after awhile, wanting to inch forward for a closer 'look' before catching myself...

Parting the Crowd

MrBillM - 11-23-2006 at 10:49 AM

Years ago, I remember seeing a B/W movie clip from one of the Carrera Panamericana races back in the 50s. A camera mounted in one of the race cars showed the Mexican crowds filling the roadway ahead and parting like a wave as the cars came through, barely missing being hit.

Carnage resulting from those encounters was one of the main reasons the race was discontinued.

[Edited on 11-23-2006 by MrBillM]

David K - 11-23-2006 at 10:56 AM

Quote:
thx DK - not sure exactly what you posted but like i said it takes me to a sign in for hotmail. but yeah i'd like to watch it so email me the text for the site. thx.

Okay Mike... I will email you the clip... Happy Thanksgiving!

burro bob - 11-23-2006 at 11:42 AM

Here is a link to the clip.
The guy never even saw Pfleugers TT. he was too busy trying to figure out why everything in his viewfinder looked like a tire. He was on one kneee and had two people standing next to him. He couldn't have gotten out of the way even if he had seen the truck.

http://www.dirtworksfilms.com/videos/ojosinsanity.wmv

It came across Weatherman Diablo as a death but turned out not to be. Glad for Allen the guy didn't die. They should make a giant poster of one of the frames and post it out at Ojos jumps for every race.
burro bob

David K - 11-23-2006 at 11:51 AM

Thanks Burro Bob!