BajaNomad

Walmart's open. Anyone got a report?

Keri - 11-17-2006 at 02:27 PM

I wondered if they had problems like in Mexico city. k

bajabound2005 - 11-17-2006 at 05:36 PM

This was posted on our local eboard so I guess it okay to post it here --I am not correcting spelling or grammar.

"HELLO EVERYONE..

Just wanted to let you all know that I was one of those crazy people who tackled getting up early this morning and getting in line for when Walmart opened at 7am. Unfortunately I was not the number one person in line to cut the ribbon,BUT I was number 2 in line and the first American to go into Walmart when it opened up. What a thrilll!!!!

When the doors opened I pushed my cart into the store expecting a U>S> Walmart. Well I got a cultural shock. When I first walked in my first impression was that it looked like a Ley's store. The produce section was displayed to high and in order to see what was being sold on the other side, you had to walk all the way around to the other side to see. At least in Calimax the produce counters are low enough that you can see what is being sold on the other side without walking all the way around.

Since stores stock 60% mexican products and 40% american products I was hopeing I could find the things that I usually buy in the states and one of them being vitamins Nature Valley brand. Well guess what...yup...they DID NOT carry them either.

I did like that fact that they did have people in each department so that if you were looking for something there were people to ask.

I found their prices about the same as a grocery store.

Overall Opinion of the store>>>>>> not to impressed....

Depending what you are looking for maybe you all will have better luck than me."

Another verbal report from someone else who went said it's nothing like in the the US and the prices are high.

Bruce R Leech - 11-17-2006 at 08:11 PM

thanks I will add a report when I get there:spingrin:

Summanus - 11-17-2006 at 08:17 PM

If it smells ANYTHING like the sewer of a 'market' or a WalMart we visited in Chula Vista or San Ysidro we will pass, thank you. The garbage in the produce aisles was rotting..and most of that was on the floor. Naturally, we cannot comment on any prices.

(Please excuse this post. I must have been mistaken about this being a WalMart.)

We will wait until we reach the fresh veggie gardens of Mulege.

[Edited on 11-21-2006 by Summanus]

DENNIS - 11-18-2006 at 01:53 PM

WalMart in San Ysidro, with produce? Where is that?

QuePasaBaja - 11-20-2006 at 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Summanus
If it smells ANYTHING like the sewer of a WalMart we visited in Chula Vista or San Ysidro we will pass, thank you. The garbage in the produce aisles was rotting..and most of that was on the floor. Naturally, we cannot comment on any prices.

We will wait until we reach the fresh veggie gardens of Mulege.

[Edited on 11-19-2006 by Summanus]

You MUST be thinking of some place else. There is NO produce in the walmarts in that area, and as far as I know there is none in Southern Cali.

As for the walmart here in Tijuana and the one in Ensenada. Hate to tell you guys this, but this IS Mexico, and they tend to cater to the Local people that we call Mexicans. So dont be surprised when they dont sell what you want.

The one in TJ is pretty nice, and very clean so far. Although I would say to stay away on weekends because of how busy they are. They are also in a really nice plaza, and that when finished will have a lot of nice stores, and even an applebes. ( not sure about the spelling on that ) and I hear that the one in Ensenada will as well.

Una parabala

Sharksbaja - 11-20-2006 at 02:00 PM

:barf:

Cypress - 11-20-2006 at 02:58 PM

Walmart? Has just about everything you want at discount prices. Why would anyone have a problem with a bargain?:O

Bob and Susan - 11-20-2006 at 03:21 PM

walmart is a porduct killer

they are so BIG that they dictate to manufactures what the price shall be...

no one else can beat their price...

i have to admite though....i was there today:saint:

bajalou - 11-20-2006 at 04:04 PM

Mega in Mexicali always compares it's prices on groceries to Walmart and shows it's a little cheaper. Not a lot, but a centavo here, a centavo there---

comitan - 11-20-2006 at 04:07 PM

Theres been so much talk about the big box stores hurting the little mom & pop stores, Well I have something to add in La Paz, San Jose & Cabo there are many Minmart stores going in all over, oxxo, is the biggest they all are very nice and I can see they are getting much business but nobody complains about them, but they have to be taking business away from the little stores.

[Edited on 11-20-2006 by comitan]

bancoduo - 11-20-2006 at 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by comitan
Theres been so much talk about the big box stores hurting the little mom & pop stores, Well I have something to add in La Paz, San Jose & Cabo there are many Minmart stores going in all over, oxxo, is the biggest they all are very nice and I can see they are getting much business but nobody complains about them, but they have to be taking business away from the little stores.

[Edited on 11-20-2006 by comitan]
Mexican 7/11's only a idiot would shop there.

bancoduo - 11-20-2006 at 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob and Susan
walmart is a porduct killer

Those bastards! I raise Porduct's and they are very sweet and gentle animals.:mad:

bajalou - 11-20-2006 at 04:57 PM

If you look in the little mom and pop's, usually you will find Kirkland and Walmart products. They too find they're better priced than the regular suppliers.

vagabond - 11-20-2006 at 05:55 PM

AS far as I know only the wally world super centers carry produce, and the closest one is in Hemet.

Skeet/Loreto - 11-21-2006 at 06:05 AM

Oh! you Poor Babies!!
Nothing but Cpmplaints about the New Wall-Mart!!
Wake up! You are in Mexico, Not the States!
Think about the Number of People who have Jobs and can Feed their Familes, the Economic impact, instead of Complaining about every Little thing that comes along.
Wake up Children, we need Good People in Baja, not Whineing Crybabies that do not have the Ability to understand Baja and its People.

Learn to think about your Fellow Man/Women Children and your Neighbors!

Anon The Preacher

Bob and Susan - 11-21-2006 at 06:32 AM

skeet...walmart is cheap for sure but....

it has ruined a lot of small mom and pop stores and changed the way of shopping in the USA

http://www.flowgo.com/index.cfm?action=view&id=12055

I shop the border Walmarts

Keri - 11-21-2006 at 07:14 AM

Chula Vista, San Diego and National City and I have never seen produce at any of them. Oh, but I have seen lots of Porducts and I have bought many of them . Have lots here at the house. Love em,k;D:lol::saint:

bajabound2005 - 11-21-2006 at 08:19 AM

And those Walmarts in the US along the border are patronized mostly by folks crossing the border to buy stuff they can't buy in Mexico!

in a quest for sweet pototoes

bajabound2005 - 11-21-2006 at 03:26 PM

Okay, I've just returned from the Ensenada Walmart which I went to against all my own personal values. I went there because I could not find yams or sweet potatoes at Commercial Mexicana or Costco or Smart and Final. Wait, they DID have sweet potatoes at Commercial but they looked more like dried out carrots. But right next to those sweet potatoes they had a sign with their price vs. Walmart's price. Walmart's price was twice as high. I figured if the quality was twice as good (which wouldn't have taken much) I'd pay the higher price. So I checked Smart & Final first (they had none, but they are the only store with brown sugar). Then went off to Walmart. No sweet potatoes at any price. For the record, this Walmart IS a Supercenter and they do indeed have produce. Pretty nice looking stuff at that. I bought a bunch of celery (10.40 pesos) and that's it. It looks like a a slightly larger Commercial Mexicana and nothing like any Walmart in the States.

If you're headed this way for Thankgiving, bring your own sweet potatoes! Oh, I did find some at a little market in Maneadero, much closer to home.

[Edited on 11-21-2006 by bajabound2005]

[Edited on 11-22-2006 by bajabound2005]

Bruce R Leech - 11-21-2006 at 03:34 PM

did you cranberry's I cant get fresh ones here. I hate the caned ones:(

bajabound2005 - 11-21-2006 at 04:10 PM

Fortunately, someone else is in charge of the cranberry sauce and they are bringing it from the States. Try Smart & Final (if you're here in Ensenada), if you're in Mulege....last year I think I did get cranberries at S&F. Or the Super Gigante on the Reforma.

Walmartazation

MrBillM - 11-23-2006 at 04:03 PM

I love it. I look forward to the day when you can travel anywhere in the world, shop at Walmart and eat at MacDonalds, Arbys, Jack in the Box, Burger King, Am/Pm and so on and so forth.

It reminds me of the song at the end of "Blast from the Past". Let's make the whole world just another American street.

DENNIS - 11-23-2006 at 04:10 PM

I posted this elsewhere today but I'll do it again. I too was at WalMart this morning and saw Noche Buena beer for right under 100 pesos a
12-pak. Too early to purchase.
At the check stand, I was brought back to reality when they couldn't find change for a 500 peso note. Some things never change.

Bruce R Leech - 11-23-2006 at 06:48 PM

better take your wheelbarrow:lol::lol::lol:

Making change

Don Alley - 11-23-2006 at 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hose A
Dennis
My change from paying for an item Magda picked up was $75.00 pesos.

The girl gave it to me in 5 peso coins. This was at 12:30 pm when they should have had plenty of change in the register.

It's not the clerk's fault, she must work with what the manager gives her.
It's not the manager's fault, he must work with what the bank gives him.
It's not the banker's fault, he must work with what the main branch gives him.
It's not the main branch manager's fault, he must work with what the Bank of Mexico gives him.
Etcetera.

Somewhere in Mexico City there is a desk, and at that desk is the guy responsible for the lack of change all over Mexico.;D:lol::lol:

Bruce R Leech - 11-23-2006 at 10:57 PM

Hopefully they will get it straitened out by Christmas:lol:

bajabound2005 - 11-23-2006 at 11:18 PM

Dennis! You passed on the 12 pack? Que paso?

Cypress - 11-24-2006 at 03:26 PM

It all boils down to "change".:yes:

DENNIS - 11-24-2006 at 03:44 PM

It was only 9 AM. Their register, if it's like Costco, goes into lock-down if they try to ring up alcohol before ten.
No problem in my world with 12 PAKS, believe me.

ghosst - 11-24-2006 at 06:04 PM

porducts???? i will have to travel to baja to buy these things???? what a shame can somebody tell me what the taste is like (chicken) maybe hehehehehe:light::O:spingrin: