BajaNomad

Y Tu Mama Tambien (And Your Mother Too)

Stephanie Jackter - 11-29-2002 at 03:40 AM

No. I'm not flipping anybody off. It's the name of a movie I just watched on video that I absolutely loved. It's a charming road trip picture about a couple of precocious high school grads from Mexico City and a pretty older woman from Spain who hook up together on an unlikely trip to find a beach that doesn't necessarily exist. I have seen enough baaaaaaaad Mexican movies in my lifetime to generally want to avoid them like the plague, but this one was a real winner. A good combination of laughs, politics, pathos, and commentary on the everlasting human theme of fidelity (and lack thereof), in love and friendship. The flavor of this movie took me back to some of the crazy times I had as a college student in Puebla many, many years ago. This is not one for prudes, but if you don't mind a little language and adult content, it's a lot of fun. Very good flick.- Stephanie

movies

jimmy smith - 11-29-2002 at 12:27 PM

In Costa Rico they heve three classifications for movies.
1. Good
2. Bad
3. Mexician

New mexican cinema

JESSE - 11-30-2002 at 06:32 PM

Well, i have no idea what you where watching, but Mexican cinema is experiencing a boom.

http://www.observer.co.uk/screen/story/0,6903,679923,00.html

Stephanie Jackter - 11-30-2002 at 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by JESSE
Well, i have no idea what you where watching, but Mexican cinema is experiencing a boom.

Jesse, I tried to pull up the link, but it wouldn't go through. Can you update it? If there's more good stuff out there, I'd love to see it. I'm a big foreign flick fan. But trust me, Mexican film has historically been absolute, world renowned schlock, most often incredibly violent plotless garbage having to do with the skankiest element of people who live and die in the slums of Mexico City. I just saw one just like that about a year ago in La Paz. I forget the name (something having to do with the kitchen), but it began with a sloppy drunk love scene where this smashed guy finds out his equally smashed lover is a transvestite and graphically cuts off his organ and throws it out the window. Believe it or not, there was plenty of room for the movie to go downhill from there! I had to walk out after about a half an hour. Sooo bad.

My dad was the distributor for Columbia Pictures in Mexico for 25 years. By virtue of being close to someone who worked in the industry, I've seen my share of really bad Mexican films and heard more than one good joke (as above), on just how famously bad they were. If there are some passable ones out there now, it would go more in the category of "nacence" than "renaisance". As ripe as the Mexican psyche is with good material, it's always amazed me at how few fine films have come out in the last 25 years. If the good stuff is there, there won't be any problem finding a market. That's for sure. - Stephanie

JESSE - 12-1-2002 at 12:55 AM

Hi steph,

During the 40s,50s and 60s, Mexico had one of the best movie industries in the world, up to 100 movies a year where made in those times, and some of them are absolutely art works. From the start of the 60s all the way up to the beggining of the 90s, Mexican movies where just absolutely awful, but in 1995 the Mexican movie industry started to make some very decent films, and now theres more and more movies being made each year, most of them excelent.

I would recommend seeing:

La ley de Herodes
Amores Perros
Sexo Pudor y Lagrimas
Bajo California
El Crimen del Padre Amaro
Todo el Poder
El Segundo Aire

And theres plenty more, heres a link to an article from the Economist.

www.bajafilm.com/espanol/general/bol_nov1.htm

[Edited on 12-1-2002 by JESSE]

Stephanie Jackter - 12-1-2002 at 06:37 PM

Cool. I'll go see if I can dig those up at the local "arts" video store. Thanks for the recommendations. Based upon the names of some of them, you might understand why I didn't rush to bring them home before the recommendation, though. Amores Perros??? - Stephanie

elgatoloco - 12-1-2002 at 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by jimmy smith
In Costa Rico

Hey Jimmy! Is Costa Rico north of The Baja or south???:D!

[Edited on 12-2-2002 by elgatoloco]

heee heee heee

Bajabus - 12-1-2002 at 11:13 PM

you are a funny man Elgattoloco!

David K - 12-2-2002 at 01:01 AM

'Bajo California...' is a movie any Baja lover will enjoy... the English subtitles are easy to follow as this is a very visual movie. The Arce family tree, Harry Crosby, Erle Stanley Gardner, San Francisco de la Sierra, are all mentioned in the film.