BajaNomad

Bank in Mulege

roundtuit - 11-27-2006 at 06:10 PM

See a sign for a new bank in Mulege with atm (Bancomer) across from Bruce's cambio. Now an atm by polica station. Anyone know what's happeniing.:?::?::?:

Bob and Susan - 11-27-2006 at 06:13 PM

the governor came to town just after hurricane john and promised local businessmen that a bank would come to mulege this year...

looks like his word is good....

bajadogs - 11-27-2006 at 06:22 PM

We saw men building the Bancomer on Saturday, across and a little south of Bruce. Now if they can just keep the electricity on in Mulege.

Russ - 11-28-2006 at 06:08 AM

The bank manager in Santa Rosalia told me that they were going to open a bank in Mulége Dec. 7. That was almost a month ago. You think this can happen in just over a week?

Bruce R Leech - 11-28-2006 at 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by roundtuit
See a sign for a new bank in Mulege with atm (Bancomer) across from Bruce's cambio. Now an atm by polica station. Anyone know what's happeniing.:?::?::?:

it is called progress:light: this is really going to be good for Mulege and everyone in Mulege. they say it is to open on the 15th of Dec. and it looks like they might make it.:o maybe a Wal-mart will be next:lol:

DENNIS - 11-28-2006 at 08:39 AM

How many full time residents are there in Mulege?

Capt. George - 11-28-2006 at 10:52 AM

probably not enough! I did hear from Diego at Bancomer that a new branch was slated for Mulege...

It suprises me there's not one in Vizcaino, that town has grown rapidly??

who knows? george

toneart - 11-28-2006 at 11:12 AM

The bank representatives from Santender came from Mexico City to meet with the Mulege businessmen and then they met with just a few of us North American residents. (The meeting was called with practically no notice, so only a few of us could make it there in time). I have heard, but am not positive, that the atm at the police station is Santender's. They wanted to know the population of North Americans, the number of houses and the amount of money that represents. They too talked about the possibility of putting in a small office/branch. Looks like Bancomer got the jump on them. The business is definitely there.

This will really make a difference in our lives. Having to go to Santa Rosalia and wait in those long lines was a tremendous inconvenience. It causes some of us to take chances with cash, like me who had $4000 stolen. That was my flood damage repair money. I needed it on hand and if there were a bank in Mulege, that wouldn't have happened. It could even save a life.

toneart - 11-28-2006 at 11:14 AM

Can anyone answer Dennis' question? We, at that meeting, couldn't come up with a quick answer.

The majority are seasonal residents but that represents a lot of money.

[Edited on 11-28-2006 by toneart]

Bob and Susan - 11-28-2006 at 11:25 AM

toneart...

you need a bank account in Santa Rosalia...like banamex

then you just transfer money from a citibank account in the USA to the sister company banamex on the internet....very easy

I never have cash because I spend cash:lol:susan has trained me

toneart - 11-28-2006 at 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob and Susan
toneart...

you need a bank account in Santa Rosalia...like banamex

then you just transfer money from a citibank account in the USA to the sister company banamex on the internet....very easy

I never have cash because I spend cash:lol:susan has trained me

Thanks, Bob.
I am aware of this but that is in Santa Rosalia. It doesn't address the Mulege problem, which now appears to have been remedied. It appears that Susan has reigned in the other "Mulege problem". :rolleyes:

[Edited on 11-28-2006 by toneart]

aquaholic - 11-28-2006 at 11:44 AM

Lots of folks in the Mulege area have FM-3's. There is a requirement of having minimum bank deposits verified when it comes time for renewal. It would sure be a lot easier having our deposits in a bank in Mulege, and it could total a large amount for the bank...Has anyone brought this to the attention of the bank..???

toneart - 11-28-2006 at 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by aquaholic
Lots of folks in the Mulege area have FM-3's. There is a requirement of having minimum bank deposits verified when it comes time for renewal. It would sure be a lot easier having our deposits in a bank in Mulege, and it could total a large amount for the bank...Has anyone brought this to the attention of the bank..???

Yes!

Don Alley - 11-28-2006 at 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by aquaholic

Last March, when I renewed my FM3 in Loreto, there was no requirement for a local bank account. I think it was not required in 2005 either.

Of course, Mulege could be different. Loreto has changed too; all FM3 renewals are now sent to Cabo, I hear, where they disappear. Uh-oh!:o:no::lol:

Bancomer, almost the next best thing to no bank at all. Adelante!:lol:

[Edited on 11-28-2006 by Don Alley]

longlegsinlapaz - 11-28-2006 at 05:24 PM

It doesn't have to be a local bank statement, nor even a Mexican bank...I've provided La Paz Immigration with on-line prints of my Washington Mutual statements on occasion, when I don't have an active local bank account. :yes:

Bruce R Leech - 11-28-2006 at 08:16 PM

If you want to keep the bank in Mulege then you need to open at least 1 account there. if the bank dose not get enough new accounts in the first 6 months they will consider taking it out of Mulege. they think Mulege is to small for a branch but promised to give it a try. years ago when we had a Banamex here in Mulege most people only used it like a Money exchange or had small accounts with minimum balances and the bank just cant pay the bills with that kind of business. so if everyone thinks they are just going to use the ATM it wont last long. it is the business that usually carry a bank and their is not that much in Mulege.

Don Alley - 11-28-2006 at 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bruce R Leech
If you want to keep the bank in Mulege then you need to open at least 1 account there. if the bank dose not get enough new accounts in the first 6 months they will consider taking it out of Mulege. they think Mulege is to small for a branch but promised to give it a try. years ago when we had a Banamex here in Mulege most people only used it like a Money exchange or had small accounts with minimum balances and the bank just cant pay the bills with that kind of business. so if everyone thinks they are just going to use the ATM it wont last long. it is the business that usually carry a bank and their is not that much in Mulege.

A former manager of the Loreto Bancomer met with a group a couple of years ago. He said that while the bank more often or not has long lines, few of those people were bank customers. Most were there to cash paychecks or exchange money. At one point the bank was going until Fonatur agreed to move some accounts there.

So, yes, I would imagine that if you folks want to keep your bank in Mulege, you need to open some accounts and give them some money to play with.

But they would also find their branches more profitable if they could improve their customer service, IMO.

roundtuit - 11-29-2006 at 09:04 AM

I use Wells Fargo in the states and was told there is a way to transfer money to Bancomer. They are suposibly affilated with one another:?::?::?:

tripledigitken - 11-29-2006 at 09:18 AM

Washington Mutual also offers money transfer to Mexico. We have transferred funds to Banamex in Santa Rosalia. With their Ultra Account no cost either!:yes:

Don Alley - 11-29-2006 at 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by roundtuit
I use Wells Fargo in the states and was told there is a way to transfer money to Bancomer. They are suposibly affilated with one another:?::?::?:

The way that works, is you open up an "InterCuenta Express Account" at Wells Fargo. Deposits made to that account are transferred to an account at a Bancomer, Banorte or HSBC overnight, up to $3000 US per day. But I haven't tried it, yet. Nice, 'cause you can keep your money in US dollars, FDIC insured, yet have access to it in Mexico overnight. The transfer fee is $5, not much more than an ATM.

toneart - 11-29-2006 at 01:54 PM

Just about any bank will make money transfers to a Mexican bank account. I bank with Bank of America and made several money transfers. It has to be prearranged with B of A before you leave the United States. I found that out the hard way. I know my branch manager personally. Upon calling her long distance, she told me their policy forbids transfers initiated from Mexico. They say this is because of Homeland Security rules since 9/11. You have to fill out the form with all the account and routing information and sign it before you leave.

When I opened my bank account with Bancomer in Santa Rosalia last year, they wouldn't accept my Cashier's Check from Bank of America. I talked them into calling the jefe grande in La Paz and getting his OK for me to deposit it. The condition was that they put it on hold (for about five weeks). After a season of trips from Mulege to Santa Rosalia, long lines and poor service I closed the account in disgust. :fire:

Bob and Susan - 11-29-2006 at 03:21 PM

citibank and banamex are both owned by citibank corp

transfers are "no Problem"

when you have sat internet how would the bank know where you are?
bank anywhere...

CortezExplorers - 11-30-2006 at 04:02 PM

Speaking as a business owner in our fair town, this is a huge deal for us. Too often we have to make trips to SR so we do not have too much money on hand in the shop. As we are a small operation, each time we have to deposit money we have to close the Dive Center, never good for business.

Then we have the issue of people coming in wanting to only to pay in cash and not wanting to head north just to hit an ATM. So for us having an ATM is great, however an actual bank is just fabulous...

We are just one business affected by the lack of banking in Mulegé, I am sure this will help the town grow. Also, as an fyi, we have Bancomer and Banamex accounts and the latter has far fewer fees (ymmv).

regards
Matthew & Mick.

[Edited on 11-30-2006 by CortezExplorers]