BajaNomad

Bus vs. car from Cabo airport to Los Barriles

Barbara - 11-28-2006 at 04:04 PM

Hi,
I'm arriving at SJD Cabo airport at 2:06 pm this Friday. I have an Alamo rental reservation for the week, but all I really want is to get to Los Barriles and then back to the airport by 1 pm the following Friday.

I've looked into the bus, and searched this and other sites. Please tell me if this is right and fill in what I'm missing. I walk the 1 mile to Hwy 1, or get the Hertz guy to take me, to the bus stop near the Hertz rental. Then wait for a northbound bus (going left, don't cross Hwy 1 when you get to it). Then wave my arms wildly and get them to stop. 1) Can I take any NB bus? If not, how do you tell which one? 2) Will they stop? 3) How much pesos/ dollars? 4) Will they let me on with my one rolling backpack?

I read that an 'express' Aguila blue and white bus goes by 15-20 minutes after every even hour (so 12:15, 2:15, etc.). Is this right, because if so, I'll miss the 2:15 one and have to wait until 4:15. 5) Are there other buses that pass, and how often do they pass? 6) How long to Los Barriles on the 'express' vs. the regular bus?

7) How long to drive? I'm basically deciding which one to do and balancing cost, time spent and hassle. The compact car rental is $68.85 + 14.48 tax = $83.31 for a week. But: that is with declining the regular rental insurance, and not including the $49 ($7/day) for PLI they are going to force me to pay. So really, $132 for the week, plus gas.

If anyone in Baja knows the actual schedule, please let me and all of us know. Thanks so much.

Crusoe - 11-28-2006 at 05:19 PM

Hi Barbra-- I have done this a few times to Los Barriles--and if you are patient it works.Approach independent van/ taxi drivers and make them an offer of $40 u.s. and be prepaired to do some haggeling for a one way trip. Some times they may include you in /with another fare if they are going that direction. Good luck.Robinson Crusoe;D

El Jefe - 11-28-2006 at 05:58 PM

Arriving at 2;06 there is no way you will make a 2:15 bus. If it were me I would use the rental car. There are a lot of places you can explore if you have a car. If you are staying with people who have a car to toodle around in then the bus is a good option.

(going left, don't cross Hwy 1 when you get to it). I think you might want to cross the highway to be on the northbound side. A lot of busses go by so you shouldn't have a problem. No idea on cost. Have small bills. Have fun!

Bajamatic - 11-28-2006 at 06:02 PM

I second the $40 (or $50) for a taxi - always what we pay when we make the trip. you can also arrange for the same guy to come back and pick you up - we've had 100% reliability with the guy coming back on time for the return to the airport.

oldjack - 11-29-2006 at 11:08 AM

The cost for the blue/white Aguila(sp) bus is about $7 to LB... my brother is "thrifty" and always takes the bus... most of the rental car shuttle drivers will take you out to the bus stop for $1 or so... every two hours and if it as routine as on the quarter hour you would not be in Mexico be patient it works ... very nice seats, english movies w/spanish sub-titles(free spanish lessons).......