BajaNomad

Mosquitos ????

motoged - 11-30-2006 at 03:52 PM

Nomads,
A few weeks back there had been some reports of mosquitos living it up in the Mulege-Loreto corridor. Are they still biting or can I leave the Deet at home??? And what about in the San Ignacio region???

Thanks for any info you could offer....:D

Ged

Your avatar

Skipjack Joe - 11-30-2006 at 04:12 PM

If you're going to get bitten I suppose that's the best target.

Jack Swords - 11-30-2006 at 04:26 PM

Just spent the night at Juncalito Beach (S of Loreto) Wed. Lots of small mosquitoes who bit readily. DEET stopped them. Then the strong norther also blew them away. Never leave the DEET at home.

DENNIS - 11-30-2006 at 04:40 PM

Ged ---
Take a bath in something mosquitos dont like......such as urine or Corona Beer. If that doesn't work, try a mixture of muriatic acid and a ground-up mixture of the Koran. That will kill anything.

bajadogs - 11-30-2006 at 04:49 PM

As of last weekend the mosquitos around Bahia Concepcion were ruthless.

It's now the official Baja Sur state bird!

Bob and Susan - 11-30-2006 at 04:54 PM

i was at conception bay last week end and didn't have too many problems...

if there is no standing water around you're safe from the monsters.

a small breeze helps too....

Susan says it's blowing hard today...no bugs at all:lol:

bugs

tehag - 11-30-2006 at 04:59 PM

Use the DEET!!!

In Loreto today, the wind is howling, it is much cooler than it has been for months, the bugs are hunkered down but will still happily drain you if you go into any lee shade in the daylight or lee anything at night.

Cypress - 11-30-2006 at 05:07 PM

Lee side?:light: On the side of a structure protected from the wind!:bounce::yes: There was some confusion on this matter on a previous post.:biggrin:

Bob H - 11-30-2006 at 05:09 PM

How about noseeum's?

Cypress - 11-30-2006 at 05:14 PM

Noseeum's/gnats are hard are deal with. :bounce: Pray for a breeze.;)

Bob and Susan - 11-30-2006 at 05:29 PM

how come i've never seen a "noseeum"???:?:

Iflyfish - 11-30-2006 at 06:13 PM

DEET, DEET, DEET

There is an oubreak of Dengue fever in Baja now. There was a lengthy discussion of it. You do not want that guest.

Iflyfish with mosquitos

Deet alternative

motoged - 11-30-2006 at 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS

Take a bath in something mosquitos dont like......such as urine or Corona Beer. If that doesn't work, try a mixture of muriatic acid and a ground-up mixture of the Koran. That will kill anything.

Dennis,
Thanks....I think I get it: pee myself, keep drinking beer and continue to let it Dibble down my chin onto my shirt, don't wash off the puke (hydrochloric / muriatic acid), and keep Yassoundidi by my side and I will be good to go....?!

Sounds like a Cabo San Lucas tourist remedy :lol:

Ged

jerry - 11-30-2006 at 08:39 PM

i just spray my yard with bug-be- gone takes care of the noseeums and a lot of the mesquitoes

Marie-Rose - 11-30-2006 at 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by jerry
i just spray my yard with bug-be- gone takes care of the noseeums and a lot of the mesquitoes

:?::?::?:

Iflyfish - 11-30-2006 at 11:32 PM

I heard once that there is a common household product that you sprinkle around your RV. palapa etc and it keeps the bugs away. Anyone heard of this?

Iflyfish

David K - 11-30-2006 at 11:36 PM

In one of my the Baja books I read that burning cattle manure would keep the mosquitos away... Maybe the people too!:yes:

Bob H - 12-1-2006 at 03:47 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
In one of my the Baja books I read that burning cattle manure would keep the mosquitos away... Maybe the people too!:yes:

Hahahahhahhaa :lol::lol::spingrin::lol::lol:

Pasture paddies...........

bajadave1 - 12-1-2006 at 07:58 AM

My wife tried buring some this fall and said that it DID work!
She burned them on an old barby with a votive candle under one edge.

capn.sharky - 12-1-2006 at 08:27 AM

the Mexicans spray diesel fuel on their lot. Seems to help quite a bit. Kills unwanted grass too. Just don't smoke.

Iflyfish - 12-2-2006 at 02:26 AM

Lencho,

I once had the experience at Goodwill of running into a stack of Barbie and Kens that were stacked like cord wood. My first reaction was a flashback to WWII Germany, then laughed my ass off, then felt mildly ashamed and slunk back away from the carnage. I regret not having a camera with me. I must also admit returning and positioning a Barbie and Ken into a more comfortable position in which to experience their doll hell.

I can assure you that Goodwill has Barbies to burn. God I feel bad saying that.

Maybe someone will design a nice little oven for burning Barbies, oh, wait, I think that those plans already exist in some dank German archaive.

Who ever would have thought of burning Barbies??? Or who would admit it?? It sounds like an excuse to me, chasing mosquitos, I doubt it.

Ok, Eichman, back to the ovens, the mosquitos are getting thick here.

Iflyfish when not torturing Barbies. One wonders if being Barbie in and of itself is torture? One wonders.

Cypress - 12-2-2006 at 06:11 AM

Don't mosquitos need water to reproduce? Where's all the water?

Bob and Susan - 12-2-2006 at 06:41 AM

burning barbie???
that works???

diesel fuel is hard to light...burns under pressure
you can throw a cigarette in a gas tank and nothing happens...
clogs the fuel filter

lots of puddles this year from showers
mosquitos will reproduce in brackish water...lots of that

most people get midges confused with mosquitos because they look simular...

midges hatch in the mud and don't need water

people

Bob H - 12-2-2006 at 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Iflyfish
Ok, Eichman, back to the ovens, the mosquitos are getting thick here.

I think that should be Eichmann (with two n's)

jerry - 12-2-2006 at 10:34 AM

Marie-rose
the active ingreadent in bug-be-gon is dyasinon recently baned in the usa it allso kills ants scorpians spyders cocoratchas and othere things i cant spell i spray the whole yard plants bushes trees flowers about once a month more if it rains i do leave for a few hoursafter i spray

dgi - 12-6-2006 at 01:12 PM

Thanksgiving in Loreto had lots of no-see-ums. Got bit. Bring Deet.

Marie-Rose - 12-6-2006 at 08:42 PM

I think I would be hesitant to use diazinon as a spray for the whole yard...I thought
the stuff was VERY toxic???:O

capn.sharky - 12-6-2006 at 09:04 PM

Diazion is very toxic. That is why it works so darn well. You can buy it in Mexico and mix it with water and spray it. I get mine at the Vets. Store. They use it to spray the horse stalls with. Doesn't seem to bother the horses very much. I spray in my house with it in Loreto---shut the door and leave for three or four hours. Only one bad thing happened once---when I returned the dog and the wife were dead. God, I sure miss the dog.

jerry - 12-6-2006 at 09:07 PM

it was being used all over the usa for a long long time its just illagle cause the bug people dont want anyone but them to be able to use it it disapates in less then a month
its available in mexico i know in a granular form