BajaNomad

Boat Registration ??

Diver - 12-1-2006 at 09:03 PM

I recently started putting together the paperwork to order our insurance, fishing and boat permits and ran into a major problem. Seems the wife switched the title to her father (I won't even get into why.) I emailed the in-laws to get the title returned and, as usual, they mis-understood and sent the registration alone. The result is that I will likely NOT be able to get the boat put back into my name before we leave. Without the boat in my name, I cannot get a boat permit.

Any idea what the penalty might be if we are caught without the permit ? I am soooo pi**ed off ! I DO NOT want to go to Baja without a boat. I may really pee off the wife and go buy a new one in MY name tomorrow !!

Bruce R Leech - 12-1-2006 at 09:14 PM

if you are cought with out it they take the boat.

comitan - 12-1-2006 at 09:22 PM

I got caught trailering my boat in CD Constitution once with absolutly no papers whatsoever, they just scolded me and let me go. This was their Highway patrol.

Diver - 12-1-2006 at 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bruce R Leech
if you are cought with out it they take the boat.

IF that is all they will do, they can HAVE the boat !!
Problem is, then I would be stuck down there with no boat and stuck buying another one in La Paz.
Cr*p !! What to do ??

Diver - 12-1-2006 at 09:25 PM

I will be truck-topping the 14 footer so I'm only worried about being nailed when I am using the boat or it's on the beach.

BajaWarrior - 12-1-2006 at 11:54 PM

Buy the new boat!

Bob and Susan - 12-2-2006 at 06:57 AM

diver

there's a form in california that will give you "power of attorney" for things done when changing title with the DMV

just get a form...
http://www.dmv.ca.gov/forms/reg/reg260.pdf
sign your dad's name...
go to the DMV and explain the title was lost....
PAY...
receive a new title.

happens ALL the time

there would ONLY be a problem if "dad" complains

don't EVER thing the DMV keeps all those registration papers in a DMV building somewhere:lol:
that building would be the size of washington by now:lol:

Diver - 12-2-2006 at 07:01 AM

Bob,

Please delete your post before my wife sees it.
I am leaning towards the new boat !!! :lol:

jerry - 12-2-2006 at 10:23 AM

if you end up taking your unregestered boat to baja i would go to the port captain and ask to import it and see what he can do for you it changes all the time but he gave me a letter for a temporary permit for 90 days
ps this stuff changes all the time bring all the info you have as well as a bill of sale and old registration

doradodan - 12-2-2006 at 10:35 AM

Buy the new boat