BajaNomad

Keeping critters out of RV

Iflyfish - 12-2-2006 at 05:26 PM

Someone once told me of sprinkling some common household product around their RV to discourage insects and rodents from entering their RV. Does anyone know anything about this? Comet Cleanser??? Borax?? Boric Acid???

Thanks,

Iflyfish

I think you're after Boric Acid...

Mexray - 12-2-2006 at 05:57 PM

...you can get some info here:

http://www.alsnetbiz.com/homeimprovement/boric_acid.html

On our recent road-trip, we saw several Rv'ers that had put entire 'rings' of Boric Acid around their trailers, 5th wheels, etc. looked kinda like 'overkill' to me, with this big, white, powder 'ring' entirely around the RV! It's supposed to work on bugs, but don't know about rodents and other warm-blooded critters. Also, have to wonder what the 'Kamp N-zi's' think about this practice??? A big white 'crop circle' kinda detracts from a camp ground's natural appearance, IMHO...

roach1.gif - 44kB

Diver - 12-2-2006 at 05:59 PM

I have never found bugs or critters getting into the camper to be a problem.
Just keep the screens closed, wipe your feet and keep food cleaned up.
I suppose some boric acid powder around your tires or steps would keep ants and other small crawlers away. If anything, you might consider spraying the underside of the rig once a month or so (in dry weather) with a yard and garden bug spray.
Personally, I wouldn't bother.

[Edited on 12-3-2006 by Diver]

Pescador - 12-2-2006 at 06:04 PM

Shoot, when you go through Guerro Negro, they do that for you. Spray your whole rig, so that you won't be bothered by little bugs and critters.
Course, I guess they do not offer a money back guarantee.:yes::yes::yes:

wornout - 12-2-2006 at 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pescador
Shoot, when you go through Guerro Negro, they do that for you. Spray your whole rig, so that you won't be bothered by little bugs and critters.
Course, I guess they do not offer a money back guarantee.:yes::yes::yes:

The first time we went through there, and a guy in a hasmat suit charged us, I asked him where MY suit was and he said the stuff was ok to breath. Yea right. But at any rate, no bugs or critters.

jerry - 12-2-2006 at 06:27 PM

that spray smells just like water

Diver - 12-2-2006 at 06:30 PM

Last time we went through the stop at GN, we asked if we had to have the spray. They said no, it was only voluntary. You have to volunteer not to have it and then volunteer not to pay. They will try to charge and collect even if you don't want the spray. Be aware.

Iflyfish - 12-3-2006 at 12:15 AM

I have made an ant poison using boric acid and karo syrup, works like a charm. Take it back to the nest and adios!

I never thought of spreading it on the ground. Good one.

Ilfyfish

Ant-acid???

Sharksbaja - 12-3-2006 at 12:49 AM

U gotta be kidding...:lol:

Iflyfish - 12-3-2006 at 12:57 AM

Yup

Good one Shark!

Some times I don't even know I am doing it.

Iflyfishanddobedoobiedo

Iflyfish - 12-3-2006 at 01:00 AM

Mexray,

Is that a roach you dropped there?

Haven't asked that question since the sixties.

Ilfyfishanddobedobedo

Sharksbaja - 12-3-2006 at 01:07 AM

Acid & doobees and Roaches:O

Sounds like too much fun:bounce:

Marie-Rose - 12-3-2006 at 01:09 AM

Too much fun... should join the chat line!!

Capt. George - 12-3-2006 at 06:54 AM

I use hand grenades, but I go through a hell of a lot of campers!

ant-acid, oh yeah!!! gp

BajaBruno - 12-3-2006 at 09:42 PM

When I kept my trailer down in the tropics, I made what I called “borade bombs” (from boric acid—easily found at any drug store) that were very effective against most crawlers, but especially roaches. Here is a recipe that has been proven effective:

Roach Bait:
1/4 c shortening
1/8 c sugar
8 oz powdered Boric Acid
1/2 c flour, water

Mix shortening and sugar until creamy. Mix boric acid and flour together. Combine the two mixtures and pour enough water to make dough. Place balls around the house where roaches are and they will eat it and die.

I think this would work without the shortening, as roaches are primarily carbohydrate eaters, but maybe there are other crawlers that are attracted to it. I threw the balls behind the cabinets and had no more troubles with roaches or other crawlers.

Iflyfish - 12-4-2006 at 12:18 AM

Thanks Bruno,

Good one!

Iflyfishandreleasethosenotdestinedfortheplate