BajaNomad

Drinkable Baja coffee

Sharksbaja - 12-3-2006 at 02:01 PM

Whole beans, not bad. My daily fix when I run outta the good stuff. :smug: Any others fit to drink?

bajacoffee.jpg - 43kB

Cypress - 12-3-2006 at 02:04 PM

The blacker and greasier the beans the better the coffee!:D

Iflyfish - 12-3-2006 at 02:10 PM

Combate used to produce these really black beans roasted with sugar. Wonderful. Then came the disgusting dried coffee, ptueee.

Thanks for posting the pic. makes it much easier when shopping.

A typical preoccupation of those of us in the Pacific Northwest, good coffee.

I blend Costco San Francisco French Roast with Costco Sumatran. Makes a decent cup.

Iflyfish

So true

Sharksbaja - 12-3-2006 at 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Cypress
The blacker and greasier the beans the better the coffee!:D

When I first saw how "ungreasy" they were I expected the worse. Make it strong.

Baja Coffee Solutions

thebajarunner - 12-3-2006 at 03:42 PM

Best tip for traveling (not sure about you residents) is to take some of your own favorite, pre-ground coffee and either a one cup french press or one of the plastic cups that you insert a paper filter, put in a couple spoons full of coffee, then pour the hot water over it.

You can get the little 12 volt water heaters that plug into the dash, and pre-heat the water(don't tip it en route) while driving, then make your fresh coffee at any road side pullover.

The other tip is to take your 'fixings' into any small cafe and they always have water boiling on the stove. A small tip will get them to add hot water and........

VOILA>>>> good road coffee, not instant Nescafe.

jerry - 12-3-2006 at 04:03 PM

im not a coffee drinker but judi does and we allways bring about 20 bags of coffee beans home from loreto there small bags 200 gram with yellow writing on the bag she really likes it allways complanes when she runs out

Sharksbaja - 12-3-2006 at 04:32 PM

Hey Jerry, can you find out more? Thanks.

Paula - 12-3-2006 at 04:33 PM

I'm with Judi. Those are the standard Cafe Combate grocery store bags-- whole beans and you can get unroasted too and roast your own.(never tried it.) Best bought when a new shipment is in, and the aroma fills the area of the coffee shelf. When the supply gets low the bags have a different feel to them, like plastic that has stored chiles for a long time. I took many bags to Montana this summer, but didn't take enough. The Cravens and Starbucks and even Montana Coffe Traders' I bought were no better, but cost more than double.

By the way, a few years ago Loreto went dry for a short time, and I went to several stores asking for frijoles de cafe. I got strange looks and no coffee until someone set me straight-- it was granos de cafe I sought!

comitan - 12-3-2006 at 04:44 PM

Well we are still experimenting just bought Santa Fe Gourmet, did not like it back to Combati Grind our beans in the store CCC so far the best.

bajabound2005 - 12-3-2006 at 05:17 PM

We've been getting whole beans at the Cafe inside Commercial Mexicana. We get the darkest they have and use a French press. Perfecto!

Dave - 12-3-2006 at 06:50 PM

The deli sells coffee and we roast fresh daily. In 1lb bags and it goes as quick as we roast it.

If you want to pick some up you can let me know a day ahead and I will reserve some for you.

Bruce R Leech - 12-3-2006 at 07:05 PM

Ahhhhhhhh Good coffee, this is a subject I really love. and Sharksbaja is right that one is about the best one you can buy here. BUT there are some things you can do to get a really good cup.

when I had my restaurant here in Mulege we fresh roasted our coffee every morning. we are truly blessed here in Mexico for they grow some of the best beans in the world and you can buy them green in most any store. all of the ranch people here buy there coffee green and roast it over an open fire in the morning. it smells so good and it is easy to do.

jerry - 12-3-2006 at 07:05 PM

there ya go sharks paula has the info
we try to make sure the bags are sealed but some times we fail but it does seem to last she grinds her own every morning
if your heading down hwy.I5 in oregon there a small city called sutherlin there is 3 hugh flags by the freeway take central to the east end of town about 3 miles sutherlin coffee co. they have every coffee bean knowen to man roast what ever you want on the spot its on the right side you will see 4 or 5 life size horses sculptures by the entrence its a great restrant anda pretty big operation they shipp coffee all over the world

bajaguy - 12-3-2006 at 07:06 PM

Dave....do you do flavored coffee beans?????

Bruce R Leech - 12-3-2006 at 07:12 PM

oh yes I forgot an other option is on your way down stop at Dave's New York deli he has some very good high quality coffees for sale in vacuum bags some of the best I have had.

Listen up Campers -- the best coffee ever made

Lee - 12-3-2006 at 07:12 PM

First off, unless you're roasting your own coffee, or see it roasted, you don't know how old it is. Coffee geeks (yup, guilty) realize that roasted whole bean coffee is good for about a week. Ground is good for a day. Green beans, however, are good for years, if stored correctly. If you take the time to brew coffee, you have time to roast it.

I roast for a week in advance. Traveling, I bring pounds of green beans and a hot air popcorn popper, and a back-up in case the first one fails.

Put about 2 ozs in the popper, and in about 4-6 minutes (depending on what kind of roast you like), you'll have the freshest coffee available.

Right now, I'm drinking an Eastern Indian coffee -- Malabar Gold -- it starts out green and ends up looking gold, like peanuts. http://www.josuma.com/monsoon.shtml

I'm not beyond drinking coffee from Starbucks or McDonalds. I like commercial coffee but I don't fool myself thinking it's fine coffee. It's not.

But I know someone who wasn't even interested in hearing my pontificating born-again coffee spiel stating that a can of Folger's was a great coffee to him.

That's fine with me. No problems.

On the other hand, this guy might insist that Cuervo Gold is the best tequila available. Well, for a blend, it's fine, but it's a blend. And Agave tequila is still second rate to 100% Agave. And then you break that down into how long it's aged, right?

There are hundreds of beans out there you can buy green and roast to perfection. Did you know there are dozens of Kona coffee available? If you like Kona, then you'll find the one you like.

Google green coffee beans and you'll uncover a world of pure coffee and blends, and will know the difference between fresh and not so fresh. http://www.coffeebeancorral.com/category.aspx?categoryID=33

THe cost of a popcorn popper is all you're out, plus about $5.00 a pound for green beans. (Roasting in a cast iron skillet over a campfire also works.)

:cool:

bajabound2005 - 12-3-2006 at 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajaguy

bajaguy --- you must have posted that on behalf on bajablond ---- FLAVORED COFFEE BEANS?? Isn't that an oxymarooon like jumbo shrimp. Add your own flavor pero por favor, no tacas los granos!!!

[Edited on 12-4-2006 by bajabound2005]

bajabound2005 - 12-3-2006 at 07:51 PM

they grow fantastic coffee here; buying it is el problema

toneart - 12-3-2006 at 07:56 PM

Thank you Lee,
If I hadn't read your post regarding green beans in a popcorn popper, I never would have known. Score another for Nomads.

bajaguy - 12-3-2006 at 08:08 PM

I like a really good cinnamon or vanilla cream flavor

I'm gonna bite my tongue

Dave - 12-3-2006 at 08:08 PM

Quote:

and pretend I didn't read this. :rolleyes:

bajabound2005 - 12-3-2006 at 08:17 PM

Quote:
I like a really good cinnamon or vanilla cream flavor

Tell me aint true!!! Cinnamon and vanilla? Bajablonde, are you using bajaguy's log in??? If you like cinnamon, make a perfect cup of coffe with a french press and stir a cinnamon stick in it...or add some vanilla after, but for GAWD's sake don't RUIN the beans!!!!

bajaguy - 12-3-2006 at 08:20 PM

nope, It's me....bajablonde is watching a "Jack" (24)marathon on the TV

kellychapman - 12-3-2006 at 08:21 PM

I am a person that is not worth being around if I do not have a GOOD cup of coffee first......and being from the PNW I too came from having been exposed to the best....even running a primo "coffee" shop boasting the best......I have to tell you that I have found our local coffee coffee in the clear bag with yellow writing is the best ever. I just brew mine up nice and strong...well maybe the kahlua and voka help.....some creamer and I am in heaven.....and thank god I am only a 1 large cup a day drinker or I would have to attend AA in the mornings instead.....still drinking good coffee.......I LOVE OUR COFFEE........and I take many bags as gifts or personal use with me to the US instead of bringing down any when I go.....

Lee - 12-3-2006 at 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by toneart
Thank you Lee,
If I hadn't read your post regarding green beans in a popcorn popper, I never would have known. Score another for Nomads.

Great. I learned about it the same way. Someone mentioned that he used the popper as a backup and I found it works fine.

I like to hold the popper in my hands and move/shake it around so the beans all cook evently. The popper pops hotter than I like but it's still a great roast. This is what I use at home:
http://www.sweetmarias.com/prod.hearthwareiRoast2.shtml. This model alternates the heat and cools it down for you. Although it has a timer, I like to watch the beans and stop the roast at about medium-dark brown.

Braun has a grinder that many use for coffee. The problem is that the whirly blades slice the bean, and doesn't crush it -- like a grinder that utilizes a ''conical burr" type of grinder. The Solis model below has 20 settings adjusting to every type of brew possible -- including the finest grind -- Turkish. Solis is an excellent entry level grinder and I've had my first model for about 10 years.

http://www.wholelattelove.com/Baratza/maestrop.cfm.

bajabound2005 - 12-3-2006 at 08:24 PM

bajaguy - we do 24 but only on DVD! No commercials; makes 24 hours go buy in about 12.

Bruce R Leech - 12-3-2006 at 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Lee
Quote:
Originally posted by toneart
Thank you Lee,

Great. I learned about it the same way. Someone mentioned that he used the popper as a backup and I found it works fine.

I like to hold the popper in my hands and move/shake it around so the beans all cook evently. The popper pops hotter than I like but it's still a great roast. This is what I use at home:
http://www.sweetmarias.com/prod.hearthwareiRoast2.shtml. This model alternates the heat and cools it down for you. Although it has a timer, I like to watch the beans and stop the roast at about medium-dark brown.

Braun has a grinder that many use for coffee. The problem is that the whirly blades slice the bean, and doesn't crush it -- like a grinder that utilizes a ''conical burr" type of grinder. The Solis model below has 20 settings adjusting to every type of brew possible -- including the finest grind -- Turkish. Solis is an excellent entry level grinder and I've had my first model for about 10 years.

http://www.wholelattelove.com/Baratza/maestrop.cfm.

you are right the grind is very important I have 2 commercial grinders that I use here and am willing to grind for any one in this area free most of the grinders in the stores are not adjusted and maintained to do a good job.

also after you roast your coffee it is important to screen it or clean it good. when camping I use one of the burlap bags for this and when it gets to oily just throw it in the campfire.

bajalou - 12-3-2006 at 08:40 PM

Combate instant - in the big square plastic containers. I now have about 45 of the containers, Good for beans, rice, noodles, sugar etc. Also for lots of nuts, bolts and garage stuff.

Marie-Rose - 12-3-2006 at 10:01 PM

I hate to say it but the best beans I've found so far were from Costco... Jose's Organic
Mexican. In a pinch, we use the Cafe Mam Organic (CCC) but have not found it in whole bean.

Thank you

Sharksbaja - 12-3-2006 at 10:04 PM

Some good info. I will try the popcorn popper.

I just plug the lil' grinder and one of those motel coffee makers into my inverter(before I blew it up). Makes a good trip companion. :o:o

Thanks Jerry, I know where Sutherlin is. I'll chk it out. Bruce I
forgot to look for those green beans.

Dave, I need to visit yer shop.

Lee, I like your style.

AmoPescar - 12-3-2006 at 10:57 PM

hey there LEE...

What's wrong with Cuervo Gold?? Isn't it supposed to be one the finest Tequilas Mexico has to offer??? ......ROTFLMAO!!!!

I remember one trip when we were buying rounds of shots of Cazadores, which happened to be the best that paticular bar had. Well after several of those, one of our buddies bought the next round....Cuervo! Well as I threw back the shot, I started sputtering and coughing and said "what the
H_ _ _ was that? It was like going from fine Olive Oil to Motor Oil.

Amo :lol: :spingrin:

vacaenbaja - 12-3-2006 at 11:22 PM

I stopped in the supermarket at Rosarito a while back looking to see what
the coffee offerings were besides the Marino, and Combate. I saw an aluminized vacuumed sealed bag with the plasitc purge valve. I looked at it
out of curiosity of its relatively high tech packaging fore these parts.
The coffee was from the Chiappas area or so it said and was of a premium
blend. I was rather worried of the quality and taste. What smell I could make out from the valve area was rather good. Well I bought one bag and took it home to try one day. When I finally got around to trying it I was very
pleasantly surprised. The coffee was GREAT! Not bitter, nor too strong. Just good bold flavor. The only problem was that I did not write down the name or buy more of it.
The best coffee that I have had in baja by far was almost always in some out of the way ranch, or at places that serve"cafe de olla"

Iflyfish - 12-4-2006 at 12:08 AM

Thanks Lee,

I will try the pop corn popper too. I have always wanted to roast my own but have not known how to do so.

I currently use San Francisco French roast and Dark Roast Sumatran form Costco in the large bags and mix both together and it makes a very good coffee. I grind daily. I am intrigued by the idea or roasing myself. I'll bet the house smells good when you do that! Thanks again.

Iflyfishwithjuanvaldez

Bob and Susan - 12-4-2006 at 06:49 AM

all you guys have TOO MUCH EXTRA TIME!!!

grind beans???

i thought coffee came from a can and was shipped in from brazil???:lol:

Bruce R Leech - 12-4-2006 at 07:09 AM

time?that is what being in Baja Ca. is all about Living slowly and enjoying the finer things in life. slow down BOB and enjoy BAJA.

Mexitron - 12-4-2006 at 07:21 AM

I've always bought Trader Joe's French Roast at home and for camping in Baja. After moving out of TJ's range this year I tried Costco's French Roast and was pleasantly surprised--and its even cheaper than TJ's.
That said, all that info on green coffee beans from Lee has me interested in trying roasting my own--thanks Lee!

Bob and Susan - 12-4-2006 at 07:28 AM

drink coffee and "slow down"???:lol:

i'm on my second pot:saint:

Roasting at home....

Lee - 12-4-2006 at 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Iflyfish
Thanks Lee,

I will try the pop corn popper too. I have always wanted to roast my own but have not known how to do so.

I currently use San Francisco French roast and Dark Roast Sumatran form Costco in the large bags and mix both together and it makes a very good coffee. I grind daily. I am intrigued by the idea or roasing myself. I'll bet the house smells good when you do that! Thanks again.

Iflyfishwithjuanvaldez

Coffee needs to be roasted outside as it gives off smoke (a wonderful, luxurious, aroma!) as the beans lose moisture and sugars are burned (caramelization).

If you're using the popper, the beans will still be very hot when you dump them out. They will continue to roast and need to be cooled. Water can be sprayed on them or if it's cooler outside, that's fine too.

Also, chaft will also fly around as the outer shell of the bean cooks. No problem.

Some coffee geeks think it's important to air the beans after roasting (degassing) for 24-72 hours. I generally degass 24 hours, then store in a air-tight jar. Sometimes if I'm out of beans, I roast and drink.

My green beans are stored in a burlap bags (I have about 25 bags of various beans) in the dark. Just so the beans aren't exposed to alot of light.

This site is loaded with everything you want to know. http://www.coffeegeek.com/

Flavored coffee? Whatever turns you on. To me, there's almost no bad coffee. Like tequila, it's an acquired taste, and in a pinch, it's all good.

Hook - 12-4-2006 at 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by vacaenbaja
I stopped in the supermarket at Rosarito a while back looking to see what
the coffee offerings were besides the Marino, and Combate. I saw an aluminized vacuumed sealed bag with the plasitc purge valve. I looked at it
out of curiosity of its relatively high tech packaging fore these parts.
The coffee was from the Chiappas area or so it said and was of a premium
blend. I was rather worried of the quality and taste. What smell I could make out from the valve area was rather good. Well I bought one bag and took it home to try one day. When I finally got around to trying it I was very
pleasantly surprised. The coffee was GREAT! Not bitter, nor too strong. Just good bold flavor. The only problem was that I did not write down the name or buy more of it.
The best coffee that I have had in baja by far was almost always in some out of the way ranch, or at places that serve"cafe de olla"

I think you are talking about the coffe in the black bags with neon-like writing on it. That company produces coffee from at least three regions of Mexico. We tried them all when we were in Mazatlan last March and thought the Chiapas was the best.

I cant remember the name of it either but it was much better than any Combate or Marino that we've had. I have actually preferred the Marino over any of the Combates I have had......but this is all personal preference.

FARASHA - 12-4-2006 at 10:03 AM

COFFEE ROASTING - reminds me of childhood.My uncle used to do it . He used an iron frying pan, over th fire, forgot for how long he did it.But wasn't THAT long.He grounded it either in an Mortar, or in an coffeegrounder ( you know the old ones you hade a handle on it and you would ground and ground and....) - he made then Turkish coffee - my goodness THAT smell got me hooked to coffee. He would sometimes add a little swig of homemade Slibowitz ( plum shnaps :P).

In Vienna we have a VERY big variety of differnet ways of how to make and flavor/spice coffee.The vast majority of the Viennese population is Coffee addicted. Must be genetic.

While in Baja I was on withdrawal, and suffered as hell. Just had the dryed stuff at the place I stayed :P No coffeemachine available etc....
So I had a Morning Cacao instead.
But I was quite fine with what I got at some restaurants.

Cypress - 12-4-2006 at 10:44 AM

Have learned more about coffee by spending 5 minutes on this site than by drinking it for a lifetime.:):wow::tumble: Have sworn off airport, truck stop and nearly all coffe in between.:OThanks for all the info.:D

DanO - 12-4-2006 at 11:58 AM

Lee, et al. -- I'd like to find a hand cranked grinder. Anyone know where to find one, or what to use instead that doesn't need electricity?

Lee - 12-4-2006 at 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DanO
Lee, et al. -- I'd like to find a hand cranked grinder. Anyone know where to find one, or what to use instead that doesn't need electricity?

Try this: http://www.sweetmarias.com/prod.zas.shtml.

I have an old Zassenhaus hand-crank (actually, it's called a knee crank that is cranked by hand). Zassenhaus is the Cadillac of hand-crankers.

It works fine and you might break a sweat if you grind enough beans.

Hook - 12-4-2006 at 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Lee
Quote:
Originally posted by DanO

Try this: http://www.sweetmarias.com/prod.zas.shtml.

I have an old Zassenhaus hand-crank (actually, it's called a knee crank that is cranked by hand). Zassenhaus is the Cadillac of hand-crankers.

It works fine and you might break a sweat if you grind enough beans.

Sweet Maria's, unfortunately, does not have a SINGLE manual coffee grinder in stock. Not one.........:rolleyes: Actually, no one has them in stock as the factory just cant keep up with demand.

Thanks for the link, Lee. Very good info on it. Glad to see the Bodum french press we use comes so highly regarded.

[Edited on 12-4-2006 by Hook]

oldjack - 12-4-2006 at 03:30 PM

FYI... there are several zassenhaus mills listed on EBAY.. just don't bid against me....

bajabound2005 - 12-4-2006 at 03:54 PM

here are several hand grinders
http://www.cudakitchen.com/antique_coffee_grinders.php

DanO - 12-4-2006 at 04:09 PM

Amazon had the ones on the Cuda site and I ordered one -- I'll be grinding shortly. I'm a little hinky about buying food prep machinery on Ebay, so we'll see how this goes before I go looking for a Zassenhaus.

QuePasaBaja - 12-4-2006 at 04:11 PM

Cafe Negrita, not sure of its down south, but it is in North baja, has really good coffee for sale by the kilo. Great price as well.

bajaguy - 12-4-2006 at 06:43 PM

I'm gonna bite my tongue

Quote:

and pretend I didn't read this.

I take it that means.....NO:?::?:

Hook - 12-4-2006 at 06:53 PM

I want to own a Zassenhaus grinder just so I can say "Zassenhaus" whenever I show it to someone. :smug:

Yeah, I guess it does

Dave - 12-4-2006 at 07:01 PM

Quote:
I take it that means.....NO:?::?:

We don't care what you do with it later, but like all good drug dealers, we don't step on/cut or adulterate our product. It just wouldn't be ethical. ;D

jerry - 12-4-2006 at 07:13 PM

for a hand coffee grinder check out the antique and collectable stores 10 yrs ago there were lots of them and then a lot of repoes popped up
they were wooden with a small drawer and crank on the top

Bruce R Leech - 12-4-2006 at 07:15 PM

I have 2 commercial coffee grinders for sale and 2 Italian 2 head espresso machine fully computerized. and all the equipment that goes with it. if any one is interested.

bajabound2005 - 12-4-2006 at 09:14 PM

Bruce, do a post on that with pix and prices! Or, when you get to Ensenada, open a coffee place.

Bruce R Leech - 12-4-2006 at 09:34 PM

I already have a u2u from interested person I am going to give them priority they are nice people

Carp!

Sharksbaja - 12-4-2006 at 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bruce R Leech
I already have a u2u from interested person I am going to give them priority they are nice people

I gotta retire.... missed another one....:lol:

kellychapman - 12-5-2006 at 09:56 PM

Speaking of Coffee Roasting I just happened to see on some show.....that you take a turkey tin....the disposable ones....even better doubled.....and roast on the BBQ as the roasting creates a toxic order, so do it outside and let it cool down before putting it in jars or whatever you would do with home-roasted coffee.....just a little FYI I saw last week.....the early show I think....and I love the idea of some homemade Slibowitz......who do you make that yummmmmmmmmmmmmm!!!!

Lee - 12-6-2006 at 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by kellychapman
...and roast on the BBQ as the roasting creates a toxic order, so do it outside and let it cool down before putting it in jars

This smoke is not toxic and is pleasurable to smell. Like a fine wine, or tequila.

Roasting on a BBQ would work.

Flavored coffee creamer substitute

Hook - 12-6-2006 at 09:35 AM

Occasionally we like to put something sweet and creamy in our coffee instead of the usual "straight up" style. And since we work, Baileys or Kahlua on these mornings is not an option...........

If you've ever looked at the list of ingredients on the commercial flavored creamers put out by Coffeemate or International, it's pretty scarey. Now you know why the expiration date is months out. Then, the price adds to the horror. Here is our substitute for about 1/5 the cost and it tastes great.

We buy the flavored Torani syrups that are used by bars for flavored drinks and we add that and soy based creamer to our cup before pouring. It would be even cheaper with a dairy based creamer and we do use those, too. Yes, there is a hazelnut Torani. MANY other flavors, too.

You can buy the syrup in 750 ml bottles at Smart and Final. A little goes a LONG way, as it is very sweet.

Unfortunately the syrups are not 100% natural. There is a smidgen of the ubiquitious potassium sorbate in it as it doesnt need refrigeration.

Great stuff and you can customize your level of creaminess and sweetness for those specialty coffee mornings.

Mexitron - 12-6-2006 at 11:02 AM

When I need a little sugar rush in the afternoon those flavored Coffeemate powdered mixes work great for me--like them better than the syrups. I don't go in much for processed food but in this case, what the heck.
What I would really like though is an egg nog latte from Peet's Coffee but they ain't in Tejas yet.

[Edited on 12-6-2006 by Mexitron]

tanzbodeli - 12-6-2006 at 03:30 PM

Any instructions for roasting green beans on a gas stove?

I am here in Mulege for 3 months, and have gone through half of my awesome beans that I brought with me from Wisconsin (roasted, then frozen... not as good as fresh, but the only thing I could manage).

I'll be in the San Diego area over Christmas. Anyone know where can I get green beans up there?

Lee - 12-6-2006 at 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by tanzbodeli

I am here in Mulege for 3 months, and have gone through half of my awesome beans that I brought with me from Wisconsin (roasted, then frozen... not as good as fresh, but the only thing I could manage).

I'll be in the San Diego area over Christmas. Anyone know where can I get green beans up there?

Gas stove outside? Fine. Inside, you'll have smoke and smell and if enough ventilation, you'll survive.

Green beans are difficult to find in stores. I couldn't find any in SD, San Clemente, or Dana Point/Laguna Niguel recently. If you found a store, coffee would be limited.

I recommend buying online and having it shipped to where you'll be in SD.

Try here: http://www.coffeebeancorral.com/

comitan - 12-6-2006 at 06:39 PM

Green coffee beans available in CCC La Paz, Its much better to roast outside, you will make all of your neighbors wonder about the smell. It will cover the whole area.

It ain't rocket science

Dave - 12-6-2006 at 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by tanzbodeli

ROASTING:

Get the pan good and hot, throw in some beans and constantly shake/stir until it's as dark as you like.

COOLING:

Throw the roasted coffee in another pan, (I like to use a colander) and toss until it's cooled enough so the roasting has stopped. If you do this outside in a breeze the chaff will separate.

GRINDING:

A cheap blade grinder will do just fine. Just pulse for a few seconds, stop and shake, (holding the lid down ;D ) then pulse some more. For those that want to hand grind, use a molcajete... Cheap!

BREWING:

My favorite is an Italian moka pot. You can spend over $100 or you can go to Ikea and get one for less than $20.

Not for rocket scientists but it is a science

Lee - 12-6-2006 at 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave

ROASTING:

Get the pan good and hot, throw in some beans and constantly shake/stir until it's as dark as you like.

COOLING:

Throw the roasted coffee in another pan, (I like to use a colander) and toss until it's cooled enough so the roasting has stopped. If you do this outside in a breeze the chaff will separate.

GRINDING:

A cheap blade grinder will do just fine. Just pulse for a few seconds, stop and shake, (holding the lid down ;D ) then pulse some more. For those that want to hand grind, use a molcajete... Cheap!

BREWING:

My favorite is an Italian moka pot. You can spend over $100 or you can go to Ikea and get one for less than $20.

It's OK to listen to Dave but listen to me first.

Roasting: if you're roasting in a ''heavy'' skillet, start with medium heat. Not hot. You don't want to burn the beans, but brown them. If they get scortch, you won't want to drink the coffee -- and then again, it might be your preference.

Cooling: listen to Dave.

Grinding: a cheap whirly blade grinder is fine if you're desparate. If you want to do it correctly, get a conical burr grinder. Not cheap but if you ground the beans the cheap way, then the correct way, you'd know the difference.... esp. if you wanted a fine grind -- which is NOT possible with a blade grinder. (Blade grinders were meant to chop veggies but most people don't know that.)

Brewing: whatever your preference is. Moka pots are great but put out a very strong coffee. If you like drip brew, you won't like a moka pot.

(Moka pots force water up from the bottom by pressure forcing the water out the top of the pot. Personally, it's a better method of extracting flavor than drip but to each their own.)

If you do like it strong, nothing beats a moka pot.

Diver - 12-6-2006 at 08:38 PM

We bought a mocha pot at SuperAmerica in Cuidad Constitution for less than $10.

Lee - 12-6-2006 at 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Diver
We bought a mocha pot at SuperAmerica in Cuidad Constitution for less than $10.

Not all moka pots are the same.

The best (Bialetti) is Italian, like Dave uses, probablly, and cost about $30.

tp://www.laprimashops.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=996

jerry - 12-6-2006 at 09:01 PM

now i remember why i dont drink coffee
its too complacated
and then it keeps me awake all day:o:o:o:o:o

Bruce R Leech - 12-6-2006 at 09:17 PM

not to be difficult but the water temp is also important but will very with the type of brewing method. about 185 deg f for drip 280 or more for espresso.

and the amount of time the hot water is on the grounds. 10 seconds for espresso as quick as possible for drip etc.

Lee - 12-6-2006 at 09:28 PM

Quote:
not to be difficult but the water temp is also important but will very with the type of brewing method. about 185 deg f for drip 280 or more for espresso.

and the amount of time the hot water is on the grounds. 10 seconds for espresso as quick as possible for drip etc.

Yup, and if the shot is more than an ounce, it's not restretto.

Good Bruce. Sounds like you know your stuff.

What kind of equipment do you/have you used?

Bruce R Leech - 12-6-2006 at 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Lee
Quote:

Yup, and if the shot is more than an ounce, it's not restretto.

Good Bruce. Sounds like you know your stuff.

What kind of equipment do you/have you used?

Brasilia Portofino all Italian it is the best you can get but not cheep.

Bruce R Leech - 12-6-2006 at 09:41 PM

Here is one

http://www.brasilia.it/en/bar-line/portofino-restyling.htm

portofino-restyling_md.jpg - 14kB

Bob and Susan - 12-6-2006 at 09:50 PM

Luwak Coffee
(Cat Poop Coffee)

The Luwak from the coffee plantations of Java, and Sumatra, eats only the ripest coffee cherries.

Unable to digest the coffee beans, the Luwak deposits them on the jungle floor where they are collected by the locals.

The stomach acids and enzymatic action involved in this unique fermentation process produces the beans for the world’s rarest and greatest coffee.

Has anyone had this stuff??:lol:

luwak.jpg - 28kB

Paula - 12-6-2006 at 10:01 PM

"The stomach acids and enzymatic action involved in this unique fermentation process produces the beans for the world’s rarest and greatest coffee."

So do you roast these beans or just use 'em green??:?::lol:

edited for clarity

[Edited on 12-7-2006 by Paula]

Bruce R Leech - 12-6-2006 at 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob and Susan
Luwak Coffee
(Cat Poop Coffee)

The Luwak from the coffee plantations of Java, and Sumatra, eats only the ripest coffee cherries.

Unable to digest the coffee beans, the Luwak deposits them on the jungle floor where they are collected by the locals.

The stomach acids and enzymatic action involved in this unique fermentation process produces the beans for the world’s rarest and greatest coffee.

Has anyone had this stuff??:lol:

just let me know how it is :lol:

jerry - 12-6-2006 at 10:07 PM

i heard its really good chit:lol::lol::lol:

ah, dem beans

Sharksbaja - 12-6-2006 at 10:21 PM

Sure are popular. I've seen those little turds but I always thought they were from rabbits. ;D

Cafe' rabbito anyone?

Bruce, quit showing off!:lol:

jerry - 12-6-2006 at 10:24 PM

smart pills lol

Dave - 12-6-2006 at 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Lee
It's OK to listen to Dave but listen to me first.

Roasting: if you're roasting in a ''heavy'' skillet, start with medium heat. Not hot. You don't want to burn the beans, but brown them. If they get scortch, you won't want to drink the coffee -- and then again, it might be your preference.

Cooling: listen to Dave.

Grinding: a cheap whirly blade grinder is fine if you're desparate. If you want to do it correctly, get a conical burr grinder. Not cheap but if you ground the beans the cheap way, then the correct way, you'd know the difference.... esp. if you wanted a fine grind -- which is NOT possible with a blade grinder. (Blade grinders were meant to chop veggies but most people don't know that.)

Brewing: whatever your preference is. Moka pots are great but put out a very strong coffee. If you like drip brew, you won't like a moka pot.

(Moka pots force water up from the bottom by pressure forcing the water out the top of the pot. Personally, it's a better method of extracting flavor than drip but to each their own.)

If you do like it strong, nothing beats a moka pot.

It's all relative. You can spend ages researching coffee and spend thousands in equipment trying to get a great cup. And then what you consider to be great won't be to the next person. All I'm saying is that a good cup of coffee doesn't have to be a complicated or expensive process.

Simply fresh roasting and getting it ground, brewed and in the cup is way better than starting with store bought roasted bean or ground coffee. More attention to the roast, grind and brew would be better still. Unless you're obsessive-compulsive at some point you have to decide that good coffee is enough. I'm just trying to explain what I consider to be of prime importance and at minimal time expenditure and cost.

At the deli we use a computerized cafe roaster, the best grinders and manual two group lever machine. To reproduce what we use would cost about 6k. It's a great cup but I can come pretty close to the same for less than $50 in equipment. One of the best cups I ever had was at a coffee plantation in Chiapas. Beans were pan roasted over an open fire, ground in a molcajete , thrown into a coffee can with water and boiled up. High tech, no? :lol:

Mokas and blade grinders:

I can get a true espresso grind out of a cheap grinder. I have expensive Mokas but I can tell no difference between them and the cheapies. And by varying the brewing time, grind and adding water you can get a weaker brew.

Timbercrete - 12-7-2006 at 05:25 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Lee
Quote:

How do you get 280 deg. water temp?:?::?::?:

Bruce R Leech - 12-7-2006 at 07:03 AM

185 for drip most of the better automatic drip coffee machine's are set to this temp. check before you buy.

to get the 280 to 300 temp required for espresso requires a pressure boiler. My unit is set at 295 f then it uses a high pressure pump to force the hot water through the coffee the less than 10 seconds required.