BajaNomad

New GPS topo maps for Baja

Hook - 12-4-2006 at 11:43 AM

Another Nomad tipped me off to an apparently new set of topo maps for Baja that are compatible with most all Garmin mapping GPS units. It is from CustomGPSmaps LLC. It is being sold on ebay by the company itself for 49.00. Anyone have an information on these maps and a comparison to the Baja Expeditioner maps by LB?

bajalou - 12-4-2006 at 05:54 PM

The screen shots they show look almost identical to Expeditioner. The only difference I could see in the Ensenada one was they have a few more elevation lines that show the elevation (I think) Kind of small for these old eyes to read. The streets etc and topo lines all look the same - same coloring of streets etc.

Al G - 12-4-2006 at 06:58 PM

Wow 40 bucks less....Hummmm 40 bucks less quality????
If not Larry Buck better have an upgrade coming out.:rolleyes:

Bruce R Leech - 12-4-2006 at 07:00 PM

I would be careful it could be a cheep copy with no support. check it out first ask the seller lots of questions.

Bruce R Leech - 12-4-2006 at 07:02 PM

could you please post a link to the item on Ebay?

bajalou - 12-4-2006 at 07:38 PM

http://tinyurl.com/2x94bz

[Edited on 12-5-2006 by bajalou]

[Edited on 4-25-2007 by BajaNomad]

Al G - 12-4-2006 at 08:20 PM

"3 available"......Does that tell you something.....I will email Larry Buck, because I smell a pirate

Bruce R Leech - 12-4-2006 at 08:22 PM

it looks pretty interesting. I sent the seller a list of questions and will wait for reply.

jack - 12-5-2006 at 12:02 AM

I just compared those 3 sample maps on e-bay to the same areas of my Baja Expeditioner, they seem to be identical. I bet that they are copies of Baja Expeditioner.

ItsBetterInBaja - 12-5-2006 at 12:30 AM

The eBay listing says this new software was designed by CustomGPSmaps LLC and that he is the sole distributor for this program. So I googled CustomGPSmaps LLC and guess what...google only found his eBay listing..hmm...so I tried Yahoo and Ask search engines....with the same result.

Riom - 12-5-2006 at 01:15 AM

CustomGPSmaps llc does not exist as an llc (or dba) in Nevada, his home state. (according to official Nevada Secy of State Business Entity Search site).

Vehiclediagrams.com is registered to ManualsOne.com. ManualsOne.com mentions their new GPS Baja map. So Vehiclediagrams on ebay is almost certainly the same person as the admin contact of vehiclediagrams.com:

Libuszowski, David (manualsone@yahoo.com)
5445 W. Reno Ave. #1915 (Renaissance Villa II Apartments)
Las Vegas, NV 89009
US
702-523-8179

[Edited on 12-5-2006 by Riom]

Hook - 12-5-2006 at 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Riom
CustomGPSmaps llc does not exist as an llc (or dba) in Nevada, his home state. (according to official Nevada Secy of State Business Entity Search site).

Vehiclediagrams.com is registered to ManualsOne.com. ManualsOne.com mentions their new GPS Baja map. So Vehiclediagrams on ebay is almost certainly the same person as the admin contact of vehiclediagrams.com:

Libuszowski, David (manualsone@yahoo.com)
5445 W. Reno Ave. #1915 (Renaissance Villa II Apartments)
Las Vegas, NV 89009
US
702-523-8179

[Edited on 12-5-2006 by Riom]

WOW, you can be my e-gumshoe anytime!

Isn't it possible that the reason for the identical look of the LBmaps and this new one is because it is based on the same Mexican topo maps? Aren't those using the same color schemes, too?

bajalou - 12-5-2006 at 10:49 AM

I too could find nothing about CustomGPSmaps llc. But I know from experience that GPS mapping is not done only in the US. Some of the forums I follow regarding this kind of stuff have way more custom maps produced in other countries. So it might be a real company somewhere - or it too might be copying LB's stuff

Bruce R Leech - 12-5-2006 at 12:30 PM

I think I will buy LB's what kind of support are you going to get from this person even if he is on the up and up. with this kind of software you need to be able to get updates and upgrades and if you try to save 40 bucks it could cost you dearly later.:light: