BajaNomad

Laptop Wi-fi connections ???

motoged - 12-7-2006 at 12:28 PM

Nomads,
What is the routine for connecting to internet w/ laptop in Baja (San Ignacio, Mulege, La Paz) ////

My riding partner has his laptop (I don't have one and don't know anything about wi-fi ) and we will want to "hook up" from time to time.

Thanks for any info...

Ged

Diver - 12-7-2006 at 12:34 PM

If it has an internal wifi card, you are all set.
If not, get one that plugs in.
They make them with booster antennas as well.

Where do you mean to catch your signal ??
An internet cafe ? or is there wifi in Mulege and San Ignacio now that I don't know about ?

If you are planning to pirate, you will need to find an unsecure signal somewhere. I connected via a monster RV's Sat/wifi on the beach in Conception last year.

comitan - 12-7-2006 at 12:40 PM

La Paz has hot spots.

Iflyfish - 12-7-2006 at 12:53 PM

I purchased a device called a Canary. It cost about fifty bucks. You press a button and it locates available WiFi in the area and tells you if they are protected or not. Great device. Easy to use and saves firing up the puter.

Iflyfish

bajalou - 12-7-2006 at 01:26 PM

The internet cafes in Mexico are generally cheap by US standards. Why steal a signal when for about 20 pesos you can be online and legal. The American run that charge are generally more than the Mexican run ones. But lots of places are now having free Wi-Fi just to draw in customers (like in the US)

Bob and Susan - 12-7-2006 at 01:32 PM

"You press a button and it locates available WiFi in the area and tells you if they are protected or not."

Our wireless card does this extra stuff...some do

losfrailes - 12-7-2006 at 01:45 PM

There is a lot of freeware out there that will locate wireless sources in your area and tell you if they are locked or not.

As Bob and Susan says, if you are running Windows XP and have an internal wireless card, your laptop will tell you with no extra help.

You can increase the area of coverage with either a PCMCIA adaptor or a USB adaptor that will help your laptop.

This is not rocket science, just need to find an unprotected site. However, since it only costs about 20 pesos per hour to hook up at an internet cafe, when you can find one, why not do that?

Iflyfish - 12-7-2006 at 01:50 PM

losfrailes

Will you please tell us more about this usb adaptor. What is it called? I would like to have such a device. Canary sometimes finds open channels but they are hard to connect to.

Thanks,

Iflyfish

losfrailes - 12-7-2006 at 02:26 PM

Get a Linksys WUSB54GC at any electronic sales outlet or best of all with NEWEGG.com on the internet.

It plugs into the usb port on the laptop, has about a 6' cable and a very compact antenna.

Works great. Here is the url for info on it.

http://www.linksys.com/

OK. go to that link above, click on products, wireless, basic networking, go way down to adaptors and click on the wusb54gc. It will tell you all you need to know.

Here also is the NewEgg url.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E168331241...

Good luck!

[Edited on 12-7-2006 by losfrailes]

Bob and Susan - 12-7-2006 at 02:28 PM

http://www.quatech.com/catalog/drives_pcmcia.php

i have the card...but the cord looks easier

Iflyfish - 12-7-2006 at 02:32 PM

Excellent, most excellent amigos

Iflyfish